Hakumei to Mikochi is max comfy, it's feels like Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou + Non Non Biyori

Hakumei to Mikochi is max comfy, it's feels like Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou + Non Non Biyori.

My personal contender for AOTS. Have any of you guys seen Episode 1 yet?

I think almost everyone has. It is near the top of lot's of peoples lists in the winter 2018 what are you watching thread. With that said there is not much to talk about with the show so I would not expect more than one thread per week.

Why didn't they just fly into town?

Of all the SoL this season, this one is probably my least favorite. I dislike SoL with weak characterization.

>this one is probably my least favorite
Hakumei that is, not Yuru Camp

This is the only SoL I've enjoyed in years. Great setting, music and characters. No shitty drama, cliches or textbook philosophy.

>feels like Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou + Non Non Biyori.
feels more like Arrietty + Quiet Country Cafe

It is seriously boring as shit. SOL is only as good as its gimmick/setting, and tiny people with no conflict is not interesting.

The existence town completely ruined the series for me

It has a good setting, it's just the characters feel too one-dimensional. Even Slow Start's standard Kirara characters are more interesting than Hakumei's.

i thought yuru camp was the comfiest show of the season, until I watched this. It reminds me of pic related, a show I loved watching more than 25 years ago when I was a child.

And this, is just a wholesome show about little non human beans.

>one-dimensional
Too competent?

>Too competent?
Nothing to do with it. It's hard to explain. In just one episode of Yuru Camp, I feel like I know those characters 100x more than I do Hakumei's characters.

Hakumei and Mikochi aren't very formulaic and archetypical. You cannot easily pin down a definitive trait on them. They feel more "whole" than the average SoL characters.

>looking for conflict on your SoL
Why can't you just enjoy the cute tiny people doing whatever? I don't think this genre is for you.

To give a better illustration, the first half painted Hakumei as the reliable one and the other as a fairly useless one who is only good at cooking. The latter half turned that around and revealed new sides to their character. One-dimensional characters would simply reuse their prominent gimmicks until the end of time.

It's comfy but doesn't feel like any of those you listed

>The state of current anime watchers

>high school setting
Of course you are gonna know all the characters in the first episode, you have been trained for it because industry pumps that stuff every season

Like I said, its really hard to explain what my point is. It's a lot of little things that are almost irrelevant, but actually tell us a lot about a character, such as the seemingly serious Rin being silly with her friend or taking a simple walk around a campground she's never been before, hinting at an adventurous side to her.
Hakumei doesn't have those "little things". as it focuses more on the setting than the characters.

It's good, and on the top of my list along with Koi wa Ameagari no You Ni & Sora Yori, but I feel like the pacing in the first episode was pretty awkward.
Love the manga though. And although the animation is very limited, Lerche is doing a good job with the visuals.

>all high schoolers are the same

Stop posting fucking forum comments here.

It was okay, but it feels like they're trying to adapt every panel and the end result is losing all of the benefits of an anime adaptation. It just doesn't have the easy flow that SSR or NNB had, so I'm not sure why you'd make that comparison unless you're really hurting for points of comparison.

I had high hopes for it, but in a season filled to the brim with similar shows, it's way below the curve.

>Panning Shots: The Animation

>SOL is only as good as its gimmick/setting,
You mean characters. The setting is just there to support the characters. Though this show is even weaker on that front.

I guess it really is verboten to stray from the school setting.

Just watched ep 1. Great art. Pretty cute show.

They intimidate me a bit because both of them are working adults and respectable members of society.
SoL should stick to children and high schoolers

they are dwarves living in a tree stump, my dude

One is a carpenter and the other is a baker. Literally every store in town knows their name.

Hakumichi is cute, but I didn't really feel it yet during the first episode.
The show threw a lot of worldbuilding at the viewer at once, maybe that was too much for me, the main characters somehow remained shallow with everything else that was going on.
I'm still having high hopes since Reiko Yoshida is writing this.

I think as time goes on you'll get to see more of those nuances come up. Like how Mikochi notices that Hakumei is clearing a path to make it easier for her as she whines about wanting food. In later chapters you learn how seriously Hakumei takes her work and that it's a big source of anxiety for her. Mikochi has some stuff to unpack too in later bits but I think I get what you're saying.

In Yuru Camp we know that the girls are going to come together and learn how to work and get along with each other. Like how Rin's going to have to do some soul searching to see if she her desire for companionship outweighs her need for alone time. But in Hakumei to Mikochi the dynamic between the two leads is already set. We're not seeing as large an arc for these two as we might have had the story started where they met. It's more like we get to see how their existing dynamic reacts to the current days events. So you're kind of right in that sense.

It’s like seeing something being built versus seeing an already built thing being tested. May not be your cup of tea but I think it's pretty neat

>Not waiting for the episode 3 to be released
>1 episode in and claiming it as personal contender for aots
The absolute state of Sup Forums.

I totally agree. I'm usually all over SOF shit and eat it up every season but this failed to grab me.

>the studio uses that stupid panel shit from kuzu no honkai that is more a detriment here because SOF/Iyashikei shows need atmospheric environmental shots. The world's sense of place is hurt by the meme panels and patterned backgrounds
>they started off the very first episode half with some weirdly paced about some eagle who comes and go. Save that shit for later, not now.
>Instead of establishing the home/world of the main characters, which is super important for this kind of show, they waste episode 1 on that weird birb thing and then LEAVE THE FOREST to go to some market place.
>the characters weren't interesting and that dynamic of "charge aheader" and "mateyooo" is overdone

It could get better later on but this show failed miserably as SOF intro

I was really hoping there would be conflict a la Arietty. It didn't draw me in as I hoped it would. I'll give it the three episode rule at least though.

Anyone else feel the urge to go godzilla on this town?

Yes, i did it was beautiful and had nice atmosphere, i love it.

>thinking that AOTS is an objective term instead of a highly subjective one
>thinking that people cannot have a clear favorite among all first episodes they've watched in the season so far
The absolute state of Sup Forums indeed.

You mean snake or a lizard, because Godzilla is too big, to even notice the town.

However a dude in a godzilla suit is about right.

Comfy yuri is truly best yuri, Hakumei to Mikochi is objective proof.

The OST is really good, captures the tone and setting really well. The sea shanty singing at the end at the pier was a great example.

Te be fair, the weird birb thing is the manga's first chapter that also didn't have the establishing the home/world of the main characters.

No, I want to explore it.