Real question: Why the fuck does this feel so different from DBZ? I just can't get myself to like this...

Real question: Why the fuck does this feel so different from DBZ? I just can't get myself to like this, there's absolutely nothing that I loved about DBZ in it, there's no sense of urgency (ironically enough) or accomplishment, everyone fucking destroys planets on a whim, it feels like a bad DB fan fiction, hell, makes me wish that that shitty old DBZ fanfiction called DB AF was canon. Did Toriyama just hate DBZ and decided to write it off or something?

>DB AF
hey
guess who's drawing the super manga

because it’s a soulless cash grab

How many time do we have to go over this?

1. there's no proper buildup for the villains or for the world
2. because there's no world or character building, power scales vary from inexistent (anime) to inconsistent (manga)
3. because of the poor/no power scaling and no world building, there's no tension

part of the problem is that by the end of dbz they were already too strong. the way dbz went was, the heroes became too strong for even the "god" of this world, so aliens come in. but then the aliens were fodder, and we get the strongest being in the universe. but then they make a synthetic creature out of the strongest fighters in the universe. and finally, a dormant, ancient evil so strong that not even the gods of the gods could kill.

look at their feats too: freeza could blow up planets easily. by the time cell arrived, he was given a motivation of fighting to prevent him from doing just that (and more). buu was made half retard to prevent him going batshit, but even then at some point toriyama had him kill every person alive and then had kid buu instantly blow up earth

the feats of super are generally inconsistent too (the anime ones are just completely inconsistent, like black being knocked by a bullet or him + zamasu losing to smoke). as well as the power scaling being completely off in that arc (even the manga was off too, with vegeta vs black)

people have been pointing it out ever since the freeza movie, but shitposting anons just go "it's a kid's show" or some other variation to pretend super isn't shit.

nevermind the current arc, where goku (and now vegeta) keep getting their shit beat but get up stronger/full power a couple of seconds later

if you think toriyama made shit up as he went along before, well, his dbz planing currently looks like the light yagami of mangaka compared to what's going on in super

Because you aren't 13 years old anymore.

also, each arc had ways of making it so that goku wasn't available for part of them
1. saiyan saga, he dies
2. freeza saga, he has to heal and then travel after the others
3. android saga, he has the heart disease
4. buu saga, he's dead

also, that was always used as a way to get him to train and surpass the others (outside of the cell saga). in super, that formula is no longer used. besides, goku and vegeta are so much stronger than everyone else. the buu saga introduced goten and trunks to have more characters that could be relevant, but they refuse to do anything else with them. and gohan's character was partially written off as a nerd, and now he's behind by a lot

so it became the goku and vegeta show, but without the creative ways of building up the villains so they could fight them later on in the arcs

this is a poor excuse of a defense for super (same as "it's just a kids' show), as well as the traditional "dbz was always bad, you were just young", which is what this reply implies. dbz had plenty of flaws, but super is just terrible. it has no character development, no tension and no consistency

1/ Toriyama aged and decided to do things differently now he isn't pressured by Shueisha's editors.
2/ Because you're not a kid anymore.

>dbz was always bad, you were just young", which is what this reply implies
>he thinks kids show means bad show
What the fuck are you on?

Tell me, Sup Forums, why do latinos carry the burden of being in love with DBZ? I'm latino and I can't fucking take it anymore, every single motherfucker and their friend LOVES dbz, everyone in my fucking office is constantly watching it even during working hours. I know americans always rave about how black people love DBZ, but you have no idea how latinos love DBZ. I'm deemed as a shit taste plebian simply because I don't like it

no? dbz was a kid's show and it was good. super is a kid's show and it's terrible

the shitposting super damage control force is the one always using "it's a kid's show" as if that excuses all of its poor writing

>Tell me, Sup Forums

>dbz was a kid's show and it was good
Not really.
You see Super's flaws with critic adult eyes but are unable to see Z's own due to your childhood preventing you to see the truth.

I can't believe what you're still making this thread two years in the broadcast. The manga isn't good too, the story is lacking and Toriyama is to blame for that.
He should consider writing a proper story instead of giving just a few idea to Toei and Toyotaro and leaving everything in their hands.
Or he should just fuck off from the franchise.

Also this

Are you reading the manga? The homages may annoy you but it's a hell of a lot more consistent, serious (there's actual blood, brutality and battle damage) and better. Hell it treats the god forms way better then the anime does, Super Saiyan Blue is actually powerful and when it's used in the manga it isn't like "Oh they used it again", its more like "Oh shit he's gotten serious".
If I had to list one con, it'd be the one chapter per month format. It suffers from this.

i never said the manga was good. it's not. it's less inconsistent however

Oh, and forgot to add, that's why you can't stand Naruto, Bleach or One Piece: because you came in contact with them post-puberty.
If Naruto were the one that aired during the middle 90's we would have this same thread but titled
>"Why the fuck Boruto feels so different from Naruto?"

naruto part one was good though. and i started reading it by the time part 2 was on sasuke vs itachi and i was like 20. try again, faggot

also, outside of the horrible art, boruto so far is better than naruto part 2.

It has two major things working against it.
1. What made DBZ incredible is the longetivity of the fights and training arcs
Super wraps up what should be major arc points all into 1-2 episodes. Prime example would be the Vegito fusion against Zamasu. Horribly rushed and if anything actually weakened the portrayal of Potara fusion which was the highest attainable power canon wise.
2. Obviously it’s the elephant in the room but the animation is quite frankly on the lower end of the spectrum. Yes they are leagues ahead of where they were since the debut of super but it’s still pretty damn bad when your comparing it to your average anime. Even worse the only reason people think it looks “amazing” right now is because it’s an ultra dark setting allowing the shit animators to define basic features that wouldn’t be there in a daylight setting

>Toriyama is to blame for that.
How is toriyama to blame for toyo being a scrub and toei being souless 4th string losers?

If Toriyama leaves then those imbeciles will have FUCK ALL to hide behind and no one to take the blame for their shit.

You know. I want Toriyama to leave. To not even show up anymore.
To just rake in royalties and just occasionally stream himself drawing something and talking about stuff he did in his manga days.
Leave Toyo and Toei to twist in the wind.

>Why the fuck does this feel so different from DBZ?
bad writing
3DCG used in certain shots
actually taking fan advice rather than doing own thing

It's all 3DCG.
>Taking fan advice
....BWAAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA

Because this was supposed to be an easy nostalgia trip. All they had to do was avoid mistakes from Dragon Ball Z/GT. They fell right into them, from the very beginning with the animation. Doesn't help that a chunk of the series can be skipped because of the movies.

Then once it got to the Zamasu arc, it turned out that something new didn't necessarily mean it would be good. Future Trunks getting ridiculously strong felt poorly handled, like it was very obviously driven by someone realizing that people miss bad ass Trunks and feeling the need to put his strength in the range of Goku and Vegeta. That way, you could sell a whole lot of toys and shit with him. Then you got shit like him learning the Mafuba easily, Zamasu fusing with Black which took his own immortality away from him, the friendship sword, etc.

Now we're at this tournament arc and a chunk of it can be skipped. The pacing of DBS was never great. It's a shame because there are things being done right every now and then, but there's too much shit to sit through. Instead of making me feel nostalgic about Dragon Ball, it reminded me of all the flaws the series had, which isn't a good feeling to have after sitting through Dragon Ball Kai.

It also doesn't help that seeing a flurry of punches being thrown for the 1403184th time isn't impressive anymore. I appreciate when they bother to get clever with some of the attacks in the tournament. I liked the gimmick they recently did with the kienzan. The series needs more of that instead of the same shit, but nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

>Why the fuck does this feel so different from DBZ?

Because there's a metric shitload of tournaments and a metric shitload of new "transformations" for the good guys. Dragonball Z was pretty much the inverse of that.

Although the Black arc is right at home for feeling like Dragonball Z minus the animes "Super Saiyan Rage" bullshit so it's not fair to blanket like that.

I'd actually say it's barely inconsistent. Just a few things here and there but nothing too big
Toyo is already improving this shit arc by skipping the pointless training montages and characterising Jiren (in the anime he just meditates, in the manga he's shown saving people like a superhero should).
If Toyo actually makes it so that the fodder beats fodder then he's already made a battle royal feel more like a battle royal. We don't need Goku and Co to solo the entire tournament. Also Caulifla's shenanigans made me unable to take the tournament seriously, fucking fight for your life WHY ARE YOU ASKING TO BE TRAINED IN THE MIDDLE OF A DEATHMATCH?? It's too lighthearted!
I legitimately feel that Toei cannot write battle royals to save their lives
Yuya Takahashi's art and animation is impressive, his return to classic yamamuro style is very welcome, it's because of his involvement with episode 114 that people woke from their stockholm syndrome and started to criticise the new plastic approach Yamamuro has adopted. Not to mention that as an animator he's a speed demon so he can pump out quality quick.
Only one (a possible second if Hirotaka Nii is seriously taking inspiration) animator is taking inspiration from Takahashi (and Shida an animator on the level of Takahashi. He is known for his fluidity and quality), It's a little sad, all of them should start striving for that level of quality.

I love your comment and I made a very similar comment on reddit.

The problem with power scailing started back in DBZ at the end of the buu saga. They were already strong enough to wipe out the universe and Buu was by far the strongest guy in the series.

Then all of a sudden Beerus comes around and tosses Buu around like he's nothing.

Now with Goku getting God Ki his power increased ten fold.

So with Goku being as powerful as he is, its like how can you even think of a vllian being on par with him.

Hence they introduced Freiza's bullshit Golden Form where he leap frogged Buu (who would kill frieza by blinking in DBZ) in three months.

Then more BS with the U6 sayains giving Goku a fight while they just learned how to turn SS.

I can keep going, but the problem with DBS is they made Goku too strong and now they are having a hard time writing a story without out properly scaling the characters.

>reddit
>redditspacing
You're not really that bright are you? Do you even realise where you are?
But you are right. I won't take you that seriously though