Remasters

Does anyone else appreciate remasters of old anime or am I just autistic?

i dont see the point of doing it unless it was already digital

>remastering digital
what did he mean by this

the chromatic aberration clean up seems like an improvement to me.

But was it worth making the lines and colours worse?

>unless it was already digital

>lines and colours worse
What? The colours on the original are trash compared to the remaster, and the lines are too thick for something scanned onto 35mm

>remaster into 4k
>release in 1080p
Why? How long until Japan starts fetishizing hi-res media? I'd buy it up quick.

No I quite like the vibrant colours of the original BD. The lines seem to have gotten pretty messy after the clean up despite being thinner.

Remastering into 4k then downscaling to 1080p can reveal more details and make the picture look better than a straight 1080p remaster. It's done all the time. Nausicaa was remastered in 6k for it's blu-ray release. Even western companies do it for movies. Sony even started a whole "Mastered in 4k" line of Blurays a few years back that looks significantly better than the original 2k mastered releases.

I know that much is true. I'm thinking if I'm given a native 4k remaster if it'll look better than upscaling what they give me. Though the median consumer is probably better off with 1080p.

The 4k remaster looks great. Didn't realize a batch was already uploaded online. Guess I'll replace my old batch with this new one.

>213gb
Wew.

Might as well put the subs on it while I'm at it. Don't know if anyone else is interested.

i cannot wait for the remastering's remastering

Oh, you fell for the 4k meme. I'm so sorry.

Beatrice-Raws has released the new version with filesizes slightly bigger than the Coalgirls release and includes the Coalgirls subs in a RAR file.

I bet you also like moozzi2

Bluray can't hold 4k video at good quality. And I imagine they think there's not enough people with 4k bluray players to bother releasing the actual 4k version. At least right now. Maybe they will later on.

Gonna need to re-screencap everything with this new remaster.

Are there any comparisons between the ReinForce and Beatrice releases?

I can do that, but it looks basically the same

>screenshot comparison
>jpg

I'd like to see, just for curiosity's sake. I would appreciate it, user-kun.

Thats from the Beatrice-Raws rip asshole.
JPG captured at highest quality and edited in photoshop and saved at highest quality. Even then, you can still see the difference.

4K is great, it just isn't for old anime from the 90's or new anime. You know what, 4k isn't for any anime at all, but it's really good for wide screen movies filmed at 4k resolution. Give it another 5 years or so.

Why don't you just save in png it won't cost you anything.

It's only good for HDR. Without HDR there'd be no point.
Because then It would take forever to upload.

From what it sounds like they actual rescanned all the film at 4k. The first bluray release was scanned at 1080p for the 1080p bluray release while this new one was scanned at 4k for the 1080p bluray release. Film has a resolution limit of just under 4k from what I understand so a 4k scan of 35mm film will be better quality than a 1080p scan of the same film.

Quality is still better with a 4k scan than a 1080p scan even with both at 1080p.

>Quality is still better with a 4k scan than a 1080p scan even with both at 1080p.
I never said that. In fact I already said this at the beginning of the thread, right here: What I'm saying is that 4k TV sets and 4k Blu-Rays are pointless.

Here you go

Did some comarisons and they basically look the same, yeah. The only difference I noticed is that the ReinForce release looks to have ever so slightly more grain.

When they're in motion they're identical

>the jj abrams edit

thanks, Kyoani