Shonen Jump 1973 - 1978

1968 - 1973 Time to see the hits of these five years. This was a curious period where titles didn't get any anime adaptation or got it in 00s decade. However, combination of Play Ball, Circuit no Ookami, Doberman Deka, Motomiya manga and Dokonjo Gaeru/Kochikame made for Jump possible to reach over 2 million of readers

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1K3Q2rFVCWU
youtube.com/watch?v=wy1cdabIRyk
www4.mangafreak.net/Read1_Ring_Ni_Kakero_1
youtube.com/watch?v=tadfaqZNAxI
youtube.com/watch?v=o2ipi1ZYUdw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Go for it, mate.

PLAY BALL
>Third baseball manga of 70s trilogy
>By Ashita no Joe's author little brother (reminder than Ashita no Joe's author did Samurai Giants)
>Plot: high school baseball (main character had his finger broken and couldn't play baseball, then joined football team but wanted to play baseball, so he finished in baseball team). Dreams, effort and superation
>Lasted longer than Astro Kyudan and Samurai Giants
youtube.com/watch?v=1K3Q2rFVCWU

HOCHONIN AJIHEI
>Plot: MC decides to not follow his family steps in family traditional restaurant, decides to adventure in cheap food world
>Influence for cooking show Iron Chef
>Lot of ramen shops in Japan are named Ajihei

CIRCUIT NO OKAMI
>Main powerhouse of second decade of 70s
>Plot: Yuya Fubuki is a public road racer who wants to compete on the professional circuit
>Father of Initial D
>Lot of cars being featured
>Currently there is a car program in Japan named after this manga
>First Jump manga to get a sequel
>For some reason, it never got anime adaptation

DOBERMAN DEKA
>Author was Buronson aka Hokuto no Ken's author
>Plot: Joji Kano is a hardboiled detective who works for the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department's special crimes division
>Armed with a gun, a lot of action. Think of City Hunter, but with MC being a hardboiled man instead a pervert womanizer
>Seems manga gets lighter in tone little by little
>Oddly, it didn't get anime adaption neither

KOCHIKAME
>Seriously, who doesn't know Kochikame?
>Plot: Ryotsu, the lazy policeman who wants to get rich with his crazy antics
>The legend, it was alive until last 2017
>200 freaking volumes

Keep going.

RING NO KAKERO
>Plot: the journey of Ryuki Takane, who coached by his older sister, wants to become the number 1 boxer in the world and fight against his rival Jun Kenzaki for the summit
>Masamu Kurumada was influenced by Otoko Ippiki, and was assistant in Astro Kyuudan
>Second Jump megahit after Otoko Ippiki, helped Jump to reach 3 million readers
>This is the manga that established modern action Jump rules (Shueisha calls it the ''Hot-Blooded Fighting Manga Bible'')
>First Jump manga which last chapter had all its pages published in colour (a feat only repeated by Slam Dunk, Dragon Ball, and Naruto)
>Some boxers in Japan call its attacks like some attacks from this manga
>Anime came freaking late

youtube.com/watch?v=wy1cdabIRyk

Did this compete with Speed Racer back then?

And the Ring series seems pretty cool too. It basically evolved from its predecessors 5 years before.

And that's all, this was the period with less profitable mangas
>Some mangas of previous 5 years lasted this entire period (Astro Kyudan, Dokonjo no Gaeru)
>The few titles that come in this year were very solid
>1974 was the anus horriblis of Shonen Jump

Honorable mentions: 1.2. Anho, Susume Pirates (both of them were baseball gag mangas), Akutare Kyojin (baseball manga with lasted 22 volumes but was way less succesful than Samurai Giants - Astro Kyudan - Play Ball trilogy), and Todai Icchokusen (a strange and controversial gag manga very critical with society)

Lastly I put in this pic volume 1 cover of Hole in One, a golf manga which was somewhat succesful in the period, but only that. Still, MC design reminds me to some 80s manga designs

Jump lineup of this period was
>Motomiya delinquent manga (still, less popular than Otoko)
>Doberman Deka
>Circuit no Ookami
>Astro Kyuudan/Ring no Kakero
>Play Ball
>Hochonin Ajihei
>Dokonjo Gaeru/Kochikame
>Baseball gag manga

Tomorrow I'll create 1978-1983 thread with the first big hits everybody know. For the moment we are still in 1978, Ring no Kakero period

I can't find anything on this series like at all. I'm realy intrigued by it, but there's nothing that I can find realy, other than a few forum posts about it, but without any raws or anything. I doubt it'll ever get scanned but I'm intrigued b this.

No, Speed Racer was in 60s. Circuit no Okami coincided with a car boom in Japan in 70s and was way more street fights, similar to Initial D

PD: I remember there was a race against a nazi card lol

DEJA VU

Let's recall some evolution of action manga
>Otokko Ipikki Gaki-Daisho was first Jump action manga
>Astro Kyudan was first Jump superpowers manga (it was the Inazuma Eleven of baseball)
>Masamu Kurumada was a great fan of Otoko Ippiki Gaki-Daisho and said in interviews he was all the time reading it in high school
>Decided to become a mangaka thanks to Otoko Ippiki
>Was assistant in Astro Kyuudan manga
>Both Otoko Ippiki and Astro Kyuudan became influences at the time to create Ring no Kakero
>Ring no Kakero established the rules for all following Jump action manga

>Tfw no brother to dominate the baseball manga scene with

What's the point lads.

Friendly reminder World Cup boxing final in Ring no Kakero was Japan vs Greece

Damn this feels like looking into a wormhole.

Another fun fact: Kurumada's most popular work in the world is Saint Seiya. Except in Japan; in Japan is Ring no Kakero

>> Era dominated by hard action. 4 series based on sports.
Rather monotonous, but the current Jump line-up can really use some testosterone from this period in manga history

I think the entire manga of Ring no Kakero isn't scanlated, is it?

I remember first chapters are scanlated, then nothing (and welp, I remember best girl friend in the school was on drugs the first time she appeared)

I don't know Kochikame.

I wonder if Hokuto no Ken fans knew about the existence of this manga

I am curious about old seinen/josei manga.

Not much information I think?

Tbh I like Ring ni Kakero way more than Saint Seiya

OP here. Wanted to repeat this.

Only 4 mangas in Jump history got their final chapter in full color. Naruto, Slam Dunk, Dragon Ball and... Ring ni Kakero.

That alone should show how important was Ring ni Kakero

Ring ni Kakero first 25 chapters scanlated: www4.mangafreak.net/Read1_Ring_Ni_Kakero_1

I already miss Batoto

there about 4 or more really important boxing mangas even tough boxing is more of an american things.

probably more boxing story material than the whole US popculture...

fucking japan

What's with that bottle on the pot?

Was this the first ever cooking manga?

>There were 3 baseball mangas in 70s
>One racing manga
>One western manga

It's curious how some themes have been in Jump, then dissapeared

Circuit no Okami sure had to be fun to read

>THE MADMAN

I'd love complete scanlation of Ring ni Kakero. One of bestsellers of Shonen Jump

So back then there were no romance manga in Jump? Was Kimagure Orange Road the first?

Jump didn't allow romance back then, so it could differentiate itself from Magazine/Sunday.

Why? Was romance considered unsellable?

Yes.

In fact I was going to tell this for 1978-1973 post: Shonen Magazine published first romance shonen in 1978 (Tonda Couple). Shonen Sunday answered with Usurei Yatsura and Touch which were succesful.

Jump was conscious of romance shonen success in their rivals and its answer was...Hokuto no Ken. Purposely. Still, they released Kimagure Orange Road after, but they went full macho in 80s because shonen romances in rivals

Back then Magazine and Sunday were king. For Jump to grow, they had to do things differently.

Forgot to add pic of volume 1 cover of Hole in One. As I said, golf manga which was succesful at the time but then forgotten. Thing that I noticed is how design is similar to some 80s characters

Really? I've always had this idea that Jump was the one that sold best from the very start. How things changed.

And that's why Ring no Kakero was so important to Jump.
>Otoko Ippiki Gaki Daisho gets Jump to 1 million readers
>Dokonjo Gaeru, Astro Kyudan, Play Ball, Circuit no Okami, Doberman Deka solid lineup gets Jump to 2 million readers
>Ring ni Kakero gets Jump to 3 million readers and establishes the patters of following big success titles

This looks kinds creepy.

Are these just the manga with anime adaptations? How do pick these?

Unfortunately, Astro Kyuudan, Circuit no Okami and Doberman Deka lack anime adaptations. They still were big titles in their times

Manga back then often got live action adaptations.

Well, Circuit no Okami got a live action OVA, then its sequel (other MC, stuff happening in Italy) had an animated OVA by Gainax.

Doberman Deka had also a live action adaptation if I recall

Speaking of Magazine and Sunday, I wonder if OP or someone else would do theads like this for those magazines.

In other line of evolution: Otoko Ippiki Gaki Daisho - Koya no Shonen Isamu - Doberman Deka - Hokuto no Ken

The line of evolution of MEN

Forgot doing this how Kochikame was born in 1976

>Make one of jump greatest hit
>Help the magazine gets to 3 millions readers
>Make another huge hit, even internationally
>Manga sells millions
>Your manga get canned because jump
>All your next work gets canned because jump
I don't even like him, but I can totally see why jump is dying.

Two threads away from the greatest romantic comedy ever created

Peter Brock, Graham Hill and James Hunt would like to have had those sideburns I suspect.

>Your manga get canned because jump
>All your next work gets canned because jump
What do you mean? people didn't use to get chances based on legacy back in the day?

Kurumada later tried to publish Otoko Zaka. It was for him the opus magnum of his works. Manga was a love letter to Otoko Ippiki. Still it wasn't succesful (Hokuto no Ken was stealing all the glory)

Things got really bad between Kurumada and Shueisha, be was blacklisted by them for years. After Saint Seiya ended he moved to Kadokawa and helped them launch Shounen Ace with him doing Bt'X.

lmao these fat manga magazines with thousands of pages. thats more paper made than toilet paper. fucking japs!

What the hell's up with Shueisha these days?

This here is the basically history of jump's core theory of the jump system huh? That's pretty gnarly man.

That Astro one reminds me of Cyborg 009.

OP here. Forgot to tell in previous thread about Kurumada being assistant in Astro Kyuudan.

Also, wanted to add (I think being 1973-1978 this thread is good too since Astro Kyuudan finished in 1976) that it seems people died because meteor baseball balls in that madness manga

And it isn't finished. That system is applied by Hokuto no Ken for first time in a non-sports manga, then perfected by Dragon Ball

For the moment we are still in 1973-1978, the key period for that system between Astro Kyuudan and Ring ni Kakero

Who knew about Ring ni Kakero? What's your impression about this manga?

Pretty amazing so far. A pity it isn't fully scanlated at all

I'VE JUST BEEN IN THIS PLACE BEFORE

Play Ball is easy to follow: anime from last decade is good

Same for Ring no Kakero, you can somehow follow the story with the anime (still, I think it skips the first manga chapters)

This looks amazing and I really want to read it.

whens goku

Ok I'm watching Ring ni Kakero anime

youtube.com/watch?v=tadfaqZNAxI

For these who want to follow Ring ni Kakero: manga is scanlated until chapter 30 I think. Anime starts in manga chapter 33.

How much of Kochikame is scanlated anyway?

Circuit no Okami was serious business

1984. Slump was 80-83.

Are the mangaka for Ring and Saiya the same? Or was the latter inspired by the former also? I know both of them took Otoko and Astro as references.

Yep, Masamu Kurumada did both Ring ni Kakero and Saint Seiya

I had no clue that dude had a huge foothold in Jump, up until their relationship got sour. What a time man. That's something new.

It's crazy how he contributed towards 2 of the most landmarking and inspirational manga that impacted the industry trying to follow the first ever hot seller; and to think that lots of other iconic series follow suit after this going even crazier. That's pretty crazy really man.

What happened between them? Was it some kind of Kirby-Lee scandal?

But why/how did the Saint Seiya guy get in a fight with the editorial if he was such a golden goose? you'd think they'd make everytihing on their power to keep him happy.

>>Jump was conscious of romance shonen success in their rivals and its answer was...Hokuto no Ken.

I don't usually praise the Jump editors, but this is one time where did things so right

Not sure about what happened between them, but is important to note that Saint Seiya didn't get huge around the world until after the manga was cancelled, and then most of that money was for Toei, Bandai and Kurumada.

The legend

This is still a good idea for a series of threads. Sadly there won't be a lot of discussion since most of the content is hardly known outside of Japan.

Dunno, there has been surprisingly some good discussion in both this and previous thread. Next one is when the known titles by everybody start to leak

Better small threads than shitposting-filled threads reching 500 replies.

I like the fact that some unknown jewels like Otoko Ippiki, Isamu, Astro Kyuudan or Circuit Wolf are being known, and some more known titles like Dokonjo Gaeru or Ring ni Kakero are being remembered

World championship is very entertaining youtube.com/watch?v=o2ipi1ZYUdw

Ran for 40 years straight. Comedy manga about police officers.

Very nice idea, OP. I've always wanted someone to start threads about WSJ old times and describe these series which fathered the ones we're currently reading

First few chapters, then they skip to volume 10. That part is still going, but they also translated a few sporadic chapters after.

Anime is the same. The first few episodes are translated, then a few random ones, then the one where Ryotsu and his female coworker switch bodies because fetishes.

thank you again.

How about Doberman? I'd love to read that, Buronson is great.

Bump for quality thread

I'd swear that my dad has all the volumes of this. I can see them so vividly in my memories while growing up, sitting high up on the shelf in the living room in our old apartment back in Okinawa.
I'll have to visit him this weekend and see if I can find them in his garage. They're probably buried under the mountain of manga that he's collected over the years.

Please do.

Seriously OP what's up with your memory? Get that shit checked out.

Why do old manga give me such a hard-on?
Anyone got some ressources to get some? I usually buy but there's so much I wanna read.

Will this go up to the contemporanoeus releaseS?

His brother did boxing, not baseball (the writer of Ashita no Joe did a baseball manga, not the artist who was Akio Chiba's brother)

However, they had a third brother who has written some long-running baseball manga like Dreams but he worked as an assistant for Akio so that's probably why he went into baseball

Akio Chiba committed suicide while in the middle of a serialization for Monthly Shonen Jump a few years after Play Ball was over

There's currently a Play Ball 2 being serialized in Grand Jump though

OP, were do you get those, you scanned them?
If so where do you buy?

I have the raws for the whole series, they are easily available and found through google

You could just buy digital versions of like every Jump series ever through a site like ebook