Discuss

Discuss.

it looks sideways

It was pretty good. I just wished they explored the magical world more. It felt very small. But I guess you can only do so much in less than 2 hours.

Its the LWA of Ghibli. Watch with your bitch or family and thats it.
Just a big MEH.

That's what I was thinking, Ghibli version of LWA.
Was nice and looked good, but pretty standard. I'm not the biggest fan of Ghibli in general, though.

The scene where that one slave monster with the hole in it pranced away in terror like a little bitch during Peter's transformation made the whole thing worthwhile.

Is it better than Kiki?

Why would someone collect tickets?

Why would someone collect stationary?

I dunno they guy gave it to me when I went into the theater. Dunno what to do with it now, I'm not a fan of redheads.

I don't think anyone does that? What are you saying.

>Its the LWA of Ghibli.

Ebay.

>Was pissed it wasn't being played in my town
>Checked to see if there were any last minute changes
>turns out it was playing in my city but not at a movie theatre but a contemporary art museum
>it will be played there for an entire week
Well alright then, can't say I was expecting this though

Worth a shot.
Cya in 50 years.

LWA had a young witch with a deus ex machina go to a witch school.
Mary to Majo no Hana had a young with with a deus ex machina go to a witch school.
Not sure where you're getting confused?

Even ignoring the non-logic of what you just said, that's not even the most wrong thing in your post

>sameface: the """filmmaker"""
its shit

Imagine being this misinformed.

I bet you haven't even seen the movie, faggot.

No. I'm seeing it tomorrow fucko
Not that it matters either way, you're still a dumbass

Come back to me when you actually see the movie.

Keep it alive and i will, fucking bastard.

Sure. What does that have to do anything though?

You can't criticize something you haven't seen.

This is Sup Forums

I just saw it, it was all right.
I was completely in the dark about this, had no idea what it was or that it was coming out. Saw an ad that it was playing, saw it was only playing tonight, and went out to see it on short notice. Is this what normals do?

>Is this what normals do?
Watch anime in public? No.

At what point was I criticizing it you retard? If I was criticizing anything it was you for being a retard

Anime isn't really niche anymore, but who cares, if you like it, watch it.
I thought the movie was nice, nothing to write home about but it was enjoyable. Nice visuals and voice acting, story was decent enough.

>Anime isn't really niche anymore,

You only need to watch one Ghibli film in your life to be able to criticize their entire filmography

A 3/5 movie carried to a 4/5 due to some really spectacular visuals in some scenes and consistently beautiful backgrounds.

Also features the most 10/10 comfy anime house in existence.

I almost took my brother and his kids out to see this.
But then I didn't.

You didn't want your husband's kids to have fun, user?

Cont.

Pros:

>The former Studio Ghibli talent's flair for extremely fluidity, meticulous backgrounds, and scenes with tons of characters are full display. Some of the magic effects are phenomenal and worth seeing the film for alone.

>Mary's character is great in terms of design, animation, and VA. Has a decent arc too. A very well executed generic Ghibli protagonist.

>Previously mentioned comfy house.

>Young great aunt is sexy as hell.

>Tons of minor details that really shine, like some of the one-off spells, the broom, the cats, and the magic golems.

Cons:

>Plot is pretty bland and too much "just happens", like being whisked away to the magic school for no reason.

>The male sidekick is a complete non-character and the two main villains are really flat. I get that they think they're doing something virtuous, but they act like simplistic cartoon villains.

>Everything involving the captive animals is really hokey and something I'd expect from a more childish movie.

>Some of the dialog is very "kids movie". Simple generic statements that the scenes don't really need.

Basically, the core of the movie isn't great, but it's redeemed by all the amazing Ghibliness. Definitely worth seeing.

4/5.

I wish I could marry my brother. He's got a good job and I could stay at home and take care of his kids and then we could play vidya when he comes home.

>hurr I can defend a movie I've never seen

Kill yourself

It was interesting to hear the creators' perspectives after the movie, in the interviews.
I get the part about the villains, they didn't want to make them seem evil, just mistaken. I wish they were a little more on the honest and earnest side, and not going crazy after finding out Mary knew where the flowers were.
Peter was kind of bland, but he had a nice development with his relationship to Mary, although it did change pretty abruptly when the were captured and put together, I wish he'd been a little kinder towards Mary from the start.
I gave it a 7/10, definitely enjoyable and recommendable. Only other Ghibli I've seen was Nausicaa and half of Hotaru no Haka. Had to keep reminding myself that it's Disney-esque and I shouldn't be expecting Mary to search the book for combat spells.

HE WAS CRITICIZING YOU FOR THINKING THIS IS A GHIBLI MOVIE

IT'S NOT

YOU DENSE FUCKER

>It was interesting to hear the creators' perspectives after the movie, in the interviews.

Agreed. Glad I stayed and I was especially interested to hear their motivations for founding the studio after Ghibli gave up on movies (nothing I didn't already know, but still interesting). I think my favorite bit was describing how they express Mary's character through her visuals. As I said, loved her design.

> I wish they were a little more on the honest and earnest side, and not going crazy after finding out Mary knew where the flowers were.

Yeah, kidnapping and ordering your goons to throw children into a prison cell was too outright villainous to pull off the "misguided antagonist" angle.

Mediocre. Like a Ghibli movie without the soul.

Yeah the aunt was hot.

I would echo a lot of these sentiments.

Listening to the creators afterwords talk about their motivations and themes really drove home to me the idea that they don't have Hayao Miyazaki or Isao Takahata's real world experience or melancholy undertones.

Miyazaki experienced WWII and it shows when he addresses themes of loss and anger and redemption.
Takahata too seems to draw on a lot of real human pathos.

The guys from Studio Ponoc seem like they are mimicking the film tropes that have come before when it comes to their storytelling.
Like how a lot of American film writers don't seem to be drawing on real life these days, but rather they seem to have learned how to tell a story only by watching other movies.

So unlike a Studio Ghibli film that has these darker undercurrents, moments of real humanity, and small bursts of genuine comedy every thing in Mary and the Witch's Flower felt a little artificial and stilted.

I'm still glad I saw it. Hopefully their next effort will be better storywise.

They gave me a poster when I saw it.

Yo that shit gay

>So unlike a Studio Ghibli film that has these darker undercurrents, moments of real humanity, and small bursts of genuine comedy every thing in Mary and the Witch's Flower felt a little artificial and stilted.

Compare and contrast:

In Spirited Away, Chihiro breaking down in tears during the scene where Haku gives her the rice ball.

In MatWF, Mary breaking into tears when she reunites with Peter in the animal prison.

This is the poster.
I just saw it like an hour ago. I thought that it was as good as some of the later Ghibli movies, like Howl's moving castle.

Animation 10/10

Backrounds 10/10

Characters 5/10

Story 5/10

>Didn't receive a poster

Fuck my theater

It would be hard to collect things that kept moving.

Kiki is full of bloomer shots while Mary wears modesty spats throughout the whole thing. Whether or not it's better than Kiki will come down to your preferences on that. The story is faster paced and possible a bit more compelling than Kiki though.

At least the story was better put together than Howl's and actually had a comprehensible ending.

I got a sugoi button

My favorite part of the entire movie was when the turtle jumped. That should tell you how entertaining I thought the movie was.

For me, no. But it was still good

>Also features the most 10/10 comfy anime house in existence.

I loved that house

The movie was basically a kids movie. Still good

Yeah, when I saw that teary scene with Mary I thought, "This is a moment of surprise and happiness that you found the boy. Why are you immediately bursting into tears?"
Felt like an artificial beat to me.
Perfect example.

I gotta say though I'm a little disappointed in how little we got to see of the school. On first glance, it seemed almost as mystical and labyrinthine as the bath house in Spirited Away and I really wish the movie didn't just speed right through it. Some of the scenes in there felt so magical and full of life and it's a shame it wasn't used to greater effect.

Sort of related to that point was how quickly the movie seemed to blow its load on the antagonist reveal. I feel like maybe if some time had been cut from other parts that were sort of repeated (e.g. Mary falling back down and traveling back to the school like three times) and more time was spent in the school (maybe with a few more characters), the switch wouldn't have felt so sudden.

I still enjoyed it. 7/10

It might have been better if she actually studied there for a few days or so before discovering the lab experiments etc.

I got nothing but a $16.00 receipt.

I went in blind too. Pleasantly surprised. Animation quality isn't quite up to Ghibli's standards but I'd imagine that's cause this is a smaller studio and they probably had budgeting issues. Mary was cute, the cats were cute, the story was simple, but not bad.

To put it in the worst possible way, it felt like I was watching a bootleg Ghibli film.

THIS. That ending was HORRID.

The scarecrow asspull
'I'm the noble prince that has never been mentioned once who can end the war bye now nice meeting you"

Was dreadful.

It was really really average. Like, absolutely nothing I haven't seen before in other anime movies.

It wasn't a waste of time, but it's not something I'd recommend, either.

Lucky. I have an art center in my city that shows lots of movies (and recent anime ones such as The Night is Short Walk On Girl and In This Corner of the World) and I expected it to have this, but surprisingly not.

>The Night is Short Walk on Girl

What city? I'm dying to see this in theaters.

I just wish they went for a more unique face style instead of pulling the boring Ghibli look again.

okay, I thought I would like it more, but it was just standard Ghibli fare

Almost no one stayed for after credits to watch the creators interview stuff, you'd think there'd be more hardcore fans considering it only had one day and two viewings, and this was the subbed one.

It's not public if it's a closed theatre with other people who came to do the same thing.

I enjoyed it but there were a lot of parts where I felt like a scene was missing because a lot of the character's actions didn't make sense. Why did Mary and her great aunt give up magic so adamantly?
What exactly were they going after by combining animals together? In the book they found, it looked like the animals came out exactly as intended.
Why even blow that much smoke up her ass when they could've stopped Mary at the beginning and got the flowers from her then.

Was this supposed to surpass kimi No Nawa?