How come there isn't any chess(-dedicated) anime...

How come there isn't any chess(-dedicated) anime? It seems like the perfect game for a dramatic sports series - so many opportunities for drama, hopeless situations with a sudden exit - and all the writers would need is have two AIs play the game, copy it and then write the script around it.

I love chess but it's not a game you can really make interesting for someone unless they know how to play and are interested enough in learning strategy to watch other people play it.

Also, you have 5 seconds to explain why the Dragon Sicilian isn't the best opening for black. Protip: You can't

is there a GO anime?

D4 :^)

They've made interesting shogi, mahjong, and go anime, what makes chess different?
Yes, it's pretty good.

Not him, but none of those shows are interesting because of the boardgame. Neither of the two big Mahjong shows are interesting because of the game in and of itself.
Also pretending like either of those shows were fantstic classics, anime everyone should watch (GitS tier or so) is a bit of a stretch.

I have no idea how anyone got anything out of Akagi without knowing how to play mahjong. If people like that exist, then chess is no different than any other game. Anime has the luxury of its viewers being used to having when moments are important dictated to them

Post the full picture.

Pretty much sums up my feelings. Hikaru no Go wasn't really about the game itself, it was about a kid trying to learn how to stop relying on the ghost of Bobby Fischer and play the game himself. And it still didn't manage to be a terribly captivating series. Go was just the device that allowed a story about Japanese grade schoolers to move forward.

You start watching Akagi with no mahjong knowledge because you can grasp that he's fucking with people by throwing away his life and bluffing. Then you rewatch it and find out how he did that.

>but it's not a game you can really make interesting for someone unless they know how to play and are interested enough in learning strategy to watch other people play it

Well, why not? Isn't a lot of anime nowadays just niche hobby + cute girls?
I hear a lot of people say "wow, that anime got me into military planes" or something, too. I think chess could totally work from that angle.

Not that user but Chess can only be smart as the writer. I doubt there is an high elo mangaka

Knowing the rules of the game and knowing how to play it are two very different things. If you tried to depict tournament-level play and tactics it would go right over the heads of 95% of your audience. If you tried to show characters who played at an amateur level you'd be outing yourself as someone who wasn't knowledgeable enough about the game to write a good series about it.

I would amend that it can only be as smart as the writer AND the audience.

You faggots fail to realize that chess is not a special game compared to shogi or go. Anime is not intelligent about these kinds of things.

Which is why the series would only work if it wasn't really about chess, just like Hikaru. And at that point you could pretty much substitute any other board game into the same setting and nothing of substance would change.

I think an international chess anime should be entirely possible.

Those shows involving shogi, Go, karuta, and mahjongg focus on how those games are played in Japan, since they all have significant subcultures there. I think the focus of a chess sports anime would have to be about the rise of a Japanese player upon the international stage, playing to Japanese nationalism instead.

All the themes and tropes would be familiar: the initial interest, finding the wise old mentor, finding your inner excellence through hard work, the ups and downs of tournament competition.

Like other game communities, the chess community is full of weirdos. Take a sampling to fill out the character roles for fans, sidekicks, love interests, and adversaries. This was already done well in the Hikaru no Go, 3gatsu no Lion, and 81-diver manga.

not necessary. All the shogi, go, and karuta manga had expert advisers to fill in the blanks.

yeah, but so many other game manga and anime have been made.

There are TWO shogi anime airing right now, for fuck sake! They even snuck a shogi problem into the Komi-san manga.

Saki but with chess would be nice.

btw, I would have thought this would be a prime time for such a concept, considering that one of the top ten FIDE players is Hikaru Nakamura, born in Osaka.

post the tl note

>why does japan make anime about japanese games and not my favorite non-japanese game

that isn't that good an excuse, considering all the international sports manga out there.

(begs the question, are there any native Japanese physical sports games, besides those derived from martial arts? I can't think of any)

4-player chess would be nice (although there would be less rooms for comebacks compared to mahjong, due to lost pieces staying lost for the remainder of the match, and apparently less variety in playstyles -- for example, girl x usually attracts dora tiles to her hand, girl y usually attracts red tiles to her hand, then her opponents have to deal with these abilities by using their own. Some abilities could be translated into chess, some others couldn't).

Chess at competitive level has a very long stretch where it's mostly a battle of memory. The lack of variation and luck involved in each game as well as possibility of come backs will probably force the game out of the focus.

>Neither of the two big Mahjong shows are interesting because of the game
Every time I rewatch both Saki and Akagi I skip everything that is not mahjong. It's such a fun game.

ALAPIN VARIATION FAGGOT

go learn D4

but nakamura is american.

but you do it about the amateur- intermediate level tournament at the beginning because there is always the chance of seeing a tactic that you didnt see before, and u get in a winning line or when you are totally lost, but you are winning on time and your opponent has like 1 minute seconds left so you throw a long line"bait" (it´s called "lance " in spanish idk in english the word) so he tries to calculate it but the time pressure is too much so he falls for it and you get an draw.

in the IM levels the training should be like the movie pawn sacrifice about the match of the century between bobby fisher and Borís Spaski. There you can see the hours of training lines and trying to counter and surprise your opponent.

What about white, user? I'm partial to Bird's opening

From Gambit

>How come there isn't any chess(-dedicated) anime?
Not so popular for Japanese. But there is Go anime.