Otoko Ippiko Gaki Daisho

Posting chapter 1 of the legend, the father of delinquent mangas, the manga that made possible some posterior hits in Shonen Jump like Dragon Ball

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NDmdhYZ6yTc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Nice, people are making a fuzz about it on those retrospective threads and wanna see some of it.

I really love this series but it's definitely not the first delinquent manga, Yūyake Banchō for example started in 1967 (written by the author of Ashita no Joe and a thousand other popular manga and drawn by one of the people who worked in very early Shonen Jump and a bunch of other magazines)

Otoko is probably one of the most popular from that era but as a big fan of delinquent manga, I would love to know of other earlier and popular examples

I think Otoko is more the father of Jump manga than the father of delinquent manga

It's me or the text globes are small as fuck?

What's this kind of thread called? In which you drop an ancient comic written in hieroglyphics.

>What's this kind of thread called?
A good thread.

End of chapter 1. The complete manga raw (20 volumes) is surprisingly easy to find in internet

PD: It's me or setting happens in rural Japan in dunno what year? Because it looks like Japan of end of 1800s, but then we got stuff from 1965 like trains. Still, looks it happen in underdeveloped town

I once tried to use translating this series as incentive to get better at Japanese but I gave up because I thought it wouldn't do it justice

Definitely seems like a rural, seaside area to me.

Looks awesome

This is probably 60s Japan but in the rural side of things.

For what I see premise is MC challenges delinquent boss of school to different sports, and MC isn't in fact a delinquent. There was another 1967 manga about a delinquent boy who started doing sports to canalize his anger 'cause teacher intervention

First case we see a strong justice sense guy who challenges delinquent boss to sports, second case a delinquent boy who starts doing sports.

I think Otoko Ippiki is first true delinquent manga. MC is a boy who turns into a man by fighting and leading other delinquents. He fights for justice, but by fighting with his fists

Also, in other two mangas, setting is in school. In Otoko Ippiki we see MC develop little by little and turn into a man

It's definitely contemporary unless there were skyscrapers and steel ships back in the 1800's in Japan (maybe there was, I don't know?)

You're right. It's contemporary. Since plot happens in a poor, rural town, looks it isn't.

Are there no better sized raws 800 is a little small

Well you can buy the digital ones but those aren't the complete series (the later stuff isn't reprinted anymore because the author doesn't want to keep it in print) but you'd still get a lot of the greatest stuff

Why didn't the author want the last volumes to be reprinted? They are cool

I think he didn't like the fact Shueisha forced him to extend the run. Personally, I liked where the digitals ended more than where the actual serialization ended.

>>tennis hat
>>man-purse
>>sandals
>>wooden stick
He looks like a cranky old man down the street who yells at children.

Digital ended at the very end of volume 11? Because then, what happens at the end of that volumes finishes in volume 12

Volume 11 included the first chapter of volume 12, but it cuts off after that.

*Checks the manga raws*

I can see how it ends, with Makichi ''dying''. First not digitalized chapter is announcement of him surviving in the hospital

Then, physical manga ends in volume 20 with Mankichi grown-up with some sort of machine gun

Mankichi in volume 20 (aka last volume) starts dressing as a westerner

That's his dad. Manga ends with a flashback chapter.

*Checking volume 20*

If I understood well, Mankichi is in middle of bloody killing of important people, then runs away and for press and people he becomes dead, am I right?

Mankichi is out on a vengence against a prominent company, but one of his men sacrifices his own body to commit the bloody deeds, saying Mankichi must remain clean. The press still think Mankichi did it, and he just walks away from his gang, disbanding it. Ginji freaks out while the other men accept their fates. His mom and main girl is mourning because he went missing, but head of company then pronounces Mankichi's innocence. Manga then ends on a flashback chapter with his dad.

Why did Mankichi go on a vengenace against that company? I recognize the boss as the old man with evil smile in the anime opening. Also, poor Ginji

Damnit, this looks too great. I wish I would be able to read moonrunes

Bump

It's a context that gets lost in decades-old collections which is probably exactly why Motomiya doesn't reprint the later stuff but from what I've been able to piece together (which maybe was mistranslated or I misunderstood), when he originally ended it (to immediately start his next series in Jump), his editor (who later became the editor-in-chief) actually tampered with the final page to change it from saying the series was over to that it would return

And then while his second series was running, they put more promotion into Otoko coming back then his new series continuing

Later, that editor (when he was editor-in-chief) said Motomiya could publish in Jump for as long as he wanted but Motomiya eventually left to focus entirely on seinen manga

A lot of creators were pushed into extending their manga in Jump, but not in the same way

Ginji the first Jump bro.

Also I've read even in 90s there were new titles in Jump which tried to be homage to Gaki Daisho

Tetsuo Hara (the artist of Hokuto no Ken) did an Otoko homage in Jump in the 90's, it only lasted a few volumes though

Masami Kurumada (Saint Seiya) idolizes this manga. On fact his intended masterpiece, Otoko Zaka, it's basically an Otoko Ippihi fanfiction and it was a huge flop because it was too retro for the stupid kids used to the crazy shit Kurumada himself brought with Ring ni Kakero. His first manga, Sukeban Arashi, was supposed to have a male MC but Kurumada was desperate for being picked so he changed his manga from a serious gang epic to a gag manga with a female MC

That also shows how important was Ring ni Kakero for Shonen

I hope 50th Jump anniversary help Gaki Daisho to be scanlated

Love me some delinquents. They deserve more anime.

Reminder this got first Jump anime adaptation ever

youtube.com/watch?v=NDmdhYZ6yTc

Interesting, this is pre-anime yet the author was already drawing side mouth. I always assumed side mouth was a thing that came about because of anime and mangaka growing copying that so this leaves me really intrigued as to where did such a shitty practice originate from.

Interesting, I'm curious if there's any fighting at all though. It's hard to dismiss it as not delinquent when the title alone includes Banchou.

It had some awesome covers

I think it's the only Jump series to get the magazine cover four times in a row (and it did it more than once)

If nobody’s translating, I can give this one chapter a shot after I finish some stuff, but I don’t think anyone will do the rest of the scanlation work for it.

I think even getting one chapter would at least help raise interest and bring it to more people's attention and hopefully someone would pick it up (as people seem pretty excited about it)

Bump

I read Kurumada almost lost a year on high school because he tried to become a deliquent. I wonder how many autistic kids try the same

Kurumada is a very contradictory guy. He loves testosterone-driven mangas like Gaki Daishi but he was one of the key factors that turned WSJ into fujo fodder

That true end in volume 11/first chapter of volume 12 ;_;

Oh shit he has meta narrative powers.

>his editor (who later became the editor-in-chief) actually tampered with the final page to change it from saying the series was over to that it would return
>And then while his second series was running, they put more promotion into Otoko coming back then his new series continuing
What the fuck, that's sleazy as hell i'd be angry as well.

Still, Motomiya continued writing manga for Jump until 80s, all of them lasting 2-3 years

>Laughing at the invalid
What the fuck kid.