Kanzaka is continuing Slayers from where volume 15th left off. What do you expect?

Kanzaka is continuing Slayers from where volume 15th left off. What do you expect?

Other urls found in this thread:

slayersnext.blog51.fc2.com/blog-entry-2691.html
docs.google.com/document/d/1sLIwMj9cIbkZ75CxwZFJhEvdUvmTnVrko_eVjpaoDyE/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>download torrent
>subs arent working
is this show actually worth watching?

I've been Bing translating twitter spoilers so I already have a vague idea.

>it's an excerpt
>Amelia and Zelgadis are involved
>new elf character

Ugh really? I wish they would have left the story where it was. Do spinoffs or something if you have to.

The manga has way more than the show. So ....not sure it would be helpful in really catching up . And there are a crap ton of OVAs I didn't really bother with.

For some reason , I can't remember Slayers:Next well at all but I remember Try and the original .It's been like a year, so I didn't think I would forget all that.

First three seasons and the movies/OVAs are great.

I expect his new novels will sell less than the previous ones. Then a few years down the road, JC will make another low budget TV series that has nothing to do with it and fails. Slayers is the biggest example of lost potential in anime.

Honestly I was disappointed after reading the first 7(?) novels.

>I can't remember Slayers:Next
Then you are in luck, because you get to experience the best season for the first time again.

I hope translator user is still going to translate the Dragon Magazine novel snippet.

thats damn true, it actually tends to piss me off because i really like the series.

They did

Source?

Because holy crap, that's awesome.

Slayers ended pretty well though. Lina realizing that she and Gourry need to retire after just barely managing to survive Fantasy World War 2 ended the series on a bittersweet note.

Then again, I love Slayers, so if Kanzaka has decided to save Light Novels I wish him the best. I just think Slayers as a novel is pretty complete.

Where did you get this image? Is it your copy?

Twitter, and no.

I'd be more hyped for an anime adaptation annoucnement. I actually thought Slayers ended on a really good note.

Does anyone know if a release date has been announced? I've been combing through twitter but my Japanese is shit.

>more Light Novels of Slayers 10 years after the fact
Just give us another anime JC Staff, and adapt the other 7 novels.

>original Kanzaka storytelling
YES

Nothing. I'm not gonna set myself up for dissapointment.

slayersnext.blog51.fc2.com/blog-entry-2691.html
Next issue's March 20th

That was me. I was going to translate it if no one else does, but it turns out the scanlator of the Slayers manga has come back from the dead and has already translated the 3-page preview in this month's Dragon Magazine. docs.google.com/document/d/1sLIwMj9cIbkZ75CxwZFJhEvdUvmTnVrko_eVjpaoDyE/

>Amelia without pants and Zel between her legs
I think I'm going to have a nosebleed.

I don't think the novels are as good as the anime, but if the new material sells well, maybe we'll get more anime too.

Has anyone translated the novels? I was interested back in the day but never managed to find them.

I hope that they get to fight the other generals and beat the demon lord in the north. What would be even better is if the new chapters would get translated, unlike everything outside of the original 15 volumes.

The first 8 were translated by Tokyopop, and 9-15 by fan translators. They're floating around the usual places where you find LNs for download.

I honestly think that Araizumi's art only got better with time. It is legitimately nice and unique.

His lines are really clean and confident. Even though he draws digitally these days it looks as great as his analog stuff.

Huh. I was just thinking how on model and 90's stylized they all look. I guess that would explain why.

Any hope on an anime about the Luke shit ?

Ideally they would just retcon R/Evo and adapt the LNs, but I don't think that it will happen as that series really failed to achieve the success of the original slayers anime. Now that the series is actually continuing we will see, as there is actually an ongoing series for them to advertise now.

Probably never.
I think it could be adapted in a way that includes Zel and Amelia (but have Amelia conveniently not be in the party when they need her) but at this point the series just doesn't have the popularity to warrant an anime. That and you need a director who actually cares about the source material.

I would be excited if it was not because after watching Excellent, Special, Perfect and Return, the repetition of the formula became insanely tiresome. And that leaving aside the catastrophe that were Evolution-r and Revolution.

I didn't realize the fan translation went anywhere, thanks user.

>retcon R/Evo

Why that series is so meaningless to the over things.

Stop talking about mai waifu like that!

There are a bunch of ways to include Amelia without running into the problem of her being able to cast resurrection. The party splits up into pairs all the time; there could have been some other emergency Zel and Amelia had to attend to. She could have used up her magical capacity before that point. Hell, it could even be her time of the month.

It's disappointing that Kanzaka couldn't think of a way to keep her. It could have been an interesting opportunity for character growth if she had to encounter a situation where a traveling companion dies and she can't do anything about it. For an empathic person like her, it would be crushingly sad, but she would mature from it.

Just give me an anime about Knight of Aqualord

This, but let Zel be included instead of wherever he was at the time. I don't know why they left him out.

She is just too sexy not to, but you can blame Rui for that.

Stop it! Only I can see her like that!

I would like to see how DeathFog looks like or Chaotic Blue

No, she belongs to Zel. And on lonely nights when he's on another one of his chimeric quests, she knocks on my door.

She only knocks on your door because she's bringing care packages to the poor.

Yeah, Amelia is a sucker for a hard luck case, hence her taste in men. Her heart is just that big.

Kanzaka didn't keep anyone around for long though. Zelgadis is third most prominent character and he only appears in five volumes.

Pretty sure she likes Zel because he's the stoic guy with a kind heart. Not because he has a curse or problems with Rezo. She even says so in the show when she tells him she likes him how he is. They're just the classic opposite couple.

I know, it's Lina's story and only hers after all. It's just that he's capable of coming up with characters with great potential and yet doesn't explore them. I can't be too displeased with him though, since the anime and all the other media mix stuff fills in the gap.

They just need to make an OAV or game that focuses on Amelia and Zelgadis going on their own adventure. Or give them a 3-5 episode arc in one of the TV series. Can even tie it in with the main plot. Lina and Gourry go off together to search for a relic and Amelia/Zelgadis have to go off and find another relic that ties them together. Like that one episode in Try where they split up into groups to reach the peak of the mountain. But just extend it for multiple episodes. And have a lot of funny stuff like Amelia and Zelgadis get attacked by undead and start coming up with a new white spell they can only do together. And stuff like Zel having to carry Amelia on his back to see over high walls. And lots of embarrassing moments together.

But it's Saturday...

I agree, but I think his tragic past also draws her to him, for the same reason that helps make him popular with so many female fans in the real world. Girls can't resist a lonely cute guy with emotional trauma. And Amelia already has that kind of compassionate nature that makes her suited to white magic.

That would be perfect, and thus will never happen. As much extra screen time as the anime gave them, they still have so much potential that will never be tapped by official materials. They have amazing chemistry together. Basically throw them into any situation and it will be fun to watch because their personalities are so different.

I'm sad that they didn't get a story together in the official fanfic anthology that came out 3 years ago. Probably afraid of pissing off Zel/Lina fans who prefer the novels over the anime, since there was a Z/L-ish story in that collection.

The anime fanbase really like Amelia and Zelgadis. Far more than most fans like secondary leads in other anime series. So they would do fine making a small arc focused on them in the TV show. Alternatively, Kanzaka could write a new book about Lina and Gourry visiting Seyruun and catching up with Amelia. Then Zelgadis just happens to be there....reading books of course. Then some new major conflict begins in Seyruun.

Adventures in Zephilia. Personally, I want a rematch against Dynast but I take whatever he writes

>The anime fanbase really like Amelia and Zelgadis. Far more than most fans like secondary leads in other anime series.
I hope so. I spend a lot of time lurking in Japanese Slayers fandom and get dismayed at how many people still despise Z/A, and how there are still conflicts between Z/L and Z/A fans even now. Hopefully the haters are just a vocal minority.

I wonder how much Takashi Watanabe cares about them. Since he's the one responsible for them getting so much focus in the anime, that's another critical factor in whether they get included in any possible new series. It seemed like he toned down their relationship in Revo/Evo, although not retconning it altogether.

I really like your ideas for Amelia and Zel-related storylines. Do you happen to write any fanfic?

Any hope for a new season?

Nothing yet. But the 25th anniversary of the anime is coming up, so maybe they'll do something special for it. The demand is certainly there. Bookstores are already selling out of this month's Dragon Magazine.

I'm still waiting for someone to discover a secret stash of the original film reels so we can get a proper remastered BD of the series, and not the horrendous upscaled bullshit from Spain.

Should I watch the sanime/ova/movies or read the manga?

Are the manga and the novel the same thing (light novels)?

To keep the thread going, I'll paste Rebmastu's translation of the novel preview here.

"Hey, it's been a while!"
"It has... In fact, I wonder if Gourry still remembers my name," Zel joked.
"Sure I do," Gourry said with an easy smile. "How could I forget?"
"Well, let's just make sure. What's my name?"
"I remember!"
Zel was quiet for a long moment. "Alright then, let's hear it. Say my name."
"I mean, I just said I did. Let's just talk about something else," Gourry said, scratching his head absently.
"Something else?!" Zel, Amelia, and I bellowed in unconscious harmony. The man was utterly oblivious!
"Let's back up for a minute here, Gourry," Zel said. I was beginning to see the panic in his face. "I'm starting to think you really did forget about me. You didn't, did you? Listen, I'm not asking for my full name, just tell me you at least know my first name. I'll even settle for a nickname!"
The man was desperate. Still, I could see where he was coming from... and considering the source, I could sympathize.
"I'm telling you, I remember," Gourry insisted. In contrast to Zel's clear panic, the smile never dropped from his face. "You need to quit worrying about everything. But I get it, you just need an answer. Go on, Lina, tell him."
"Oh, so now you're putting this on me?!" I cried.
Zel's face dropped. "He... He forgot..."
“Whoa, I’m sorry! It was a joke!” Gourry said as he waved his hands frantically in the air, clearly picking up on the depth of the despair in Zel's voice. “I remember, okay? It's Zel... something or other, right?"
"So you do remember," Zel said, a look of relief crossing his face.
Wait. Okay, now that one I was not going to let slide.
"Zel," I said, slowly, "He just called you 'Zel something or other.' Are you really okay with that?"
"Of course I am," he replied evenly.
"How?!"
"Think about it," he said. "By Gourry standards, it's impressive that he remembered even that much."
"I mean... As long as you're okay with it... I guess..."

OH MISTER ZELGADIS~!!

The sword rang in the silence as it was slid from its scabbard; a pale, violet light shining in the dimness of the room.
"Is this...?" The words left Elaina's mouth in a low whisper, her voice hoarse to my ears. The slender blade glowed faintly: not by reflecting the light of the lamp that illuminated the corner of the room, but with a light all its own.
"What is...?"
"The blade sharpens when there's magical energy nearby... Or so I've been told," I said.
"I am familiar with the theory, yet... I have never seen this technique in practice..." Elaina's eyes never left the blade as she trailed off in reply, as though she were being sucked into it.
"What sort of technique?" I prompted.
"Surely it's obvious. You can see the words right there, written on the blade as clear as... Ah, no. I suppose it wouldn't be visible as words to human eyes."
Words invisible to human eyes? That probably meant...
"So elves see words in this?" I guessed. "Honestly, it just looks like it's glowing purple to me."
"How should I say this... Imagine there are many layers of tiny letters, no greater than a hair's breadth, all squeezed together very tightly... From this I can understand that it does indeed use magical energy to augment its cutting edge, but the finer portions are just so complex... It’s very impressive work.”
Well, right, we knew that much, but I wasn't about to tell her that. Gourry, on the other hand…
"Yeah, it's called the Blast Sword, or something like that," he said lightly.
"The Blast-?!" Elaina's head snapped up and she fixed Gourry with a sharp look. "Now just what are you on about? The Blast Sword is legendary! But..." she trailed off as her gaze returned to the blade. "You may be right..."
"Used to have the Sword of Light, though," Gourry said, almost wistfully.
"Now surely you can't expect me to fall for a joke like that." Elaina brushed him off without ever looking back up.
Well... I guess I couldn't blame her for not believing him.

"So what's the verdict, Elaina?" I asked. "Do you think you can remove the dulling spell on it?"
"It shouldn't pose a problem. It seems to have been placed in a way that assumed someone would want to remove it at some point." As she spoke, Elaina began to remove a variety of objects from her sack, neatly lining them up nearby. A spool of thread, a small bottle with some sort of medicine inside, various tiny fragments of crystal-- no, judging by the color, it was probably Celestal-- fragments of some kind of bone, and several different dried blades of grass.
Looking at the broad assortment of items she'd laid out, there were objects that even I, with my extensive understanding of magic, couldn't place.
I felt the excitement growing within me. I was about to be a witness to elfin magic. And while I wasn't sure if their interpretation of it was quite the same as humans', I couldn’t call myself a sorceress if I said I wasn't dying with curiosity.
Elaina, for her part, continued at her craft as if I wasn't drilling holes into her with my eyes. Removing the lid of one of the bottles, she poured a tiny amount of its contents onto the pad of her left index finger. To me, it looked like some sort of powder or dust, but I resisted the urge to ask. I couldn't risk irritating her with a barrage of questions and interrupting her workflow.
Elaina picked up the spool of thread with her right hand and, pinching her thumb and index finger together, began coating the tip of the thread with the powder she'd poured from the bottle before.
The powder-coated thread began to stretch between her fingers, and unlike normal thread which would have simply drooped down limply, it glowed with a faint light, not unlike the one given off by the Blast Sword's blade. The thin line of pale light stretched through the open air with nothing to support it, and as it touched the sword's blade...
"The string disappeared..." Gourry observed.

"It did no such thing," Elaina replied, eyes still on the sword and thread. "I am using the thread to stitch and sew the letters used in the sword's seal."
I could only guess what she meant by that, but I supposed that she was using some sort of technique to merge the thread with the letters our human eyes couldn’t see and remove them both at once. But honestly, her methods were so advanced and so beyond my realm of understanding, I had no way of knowing whether I was right or wrong.
I remembered her saying that the spell seemed to be crafted in a way that assumed it would be broken later on. And if that was true…
It meant a spell this complex was no challenge for an elf or dragon to disarm, while a human would have no way of even knowing how it worked.
I felt a chill as I realized that if this was nothing to them, then our human magic would stand no chance against magic of their own.
"Ra Tilt!"
A pillar of light burst into being with a roar, slicing a vertical line through the darkness of the forest and devouring the gray shadow.
It was the most powerful attack spell in the Shamanic arsenal of magic, able to obliterate a low ranking pure mazoku with ease. And yet in the center of that pale blue pillar of light, I caught sight of a squirming figure…
And then everything happened at once.
Amelia cried out as she leapt away, her senses tipping her off as a long, whip-like object snapped out of nowhere, crashing down on where she'd been just moments before, moving so quickly that I didn't hear the sound of it whipping through the air until a heartbeat later.
The whip curled around a nearby tree, and using it as a hand(?)-hold, the gray shadow emerged from the pillar of light created by the Ra Tilt.
"No!" Amelia cried in shock, as she attempted to put more space between herself and the creature.
Whips shot out from various points on the creature’s body, wrapping around trees and branches to pull itself out into the open.

It was like looking at a colossal spider, waiting in the center of its web for its unsuspecting prey.
Certain high-ranking mazoku could withstand a direct hit from a Ra Tilt, but this creature wasn't one of them. It shouldn't have been possible, and yet here we were. I had a strong hunch that I knew what it… or rather, the armor covering its entire body was.
The Zenaff Armor.
"Amelia!" I called out to her as she stood stock still, clearly trying to puzzle the creature out. "Don't bother with magic, it won't work!"
"Got it!" Amelia called back in reply. It was all I could do to keep the dread from my voice, but she didn't even hesitate in reply. Instead, she raised a clenched fist. "I'll punch it, instead!"
"...Um. Right. Good luck with that."

That's all for this issue. Next one comes out in two months.

Do you have a crush on him, user?

Nope. I'm writing my own book where the main characters are close to Zelgadis and Amelia though.

Oh, I remember you. If you get a publishing deal someday could you let me know? I really want to read your novel.

I wish my writing skills were better so I could write out some of these Slayers story ideas tumbling around in my head. Hiro should create that /fanfic/ board he mentioned already.

Ideally you would read the LNs and watch the anime. The manga is very dfiferent from the LNs. There are a bunch of different Slayers manga, and each is fun on its own. But you should wait until experiencing the main series first.

I like Gourry way more than Zelgadis but I am probably only one in the world.

But I also hate Amelia. So....

A lot of people love Gourry. In the magazine popularity polls I've seen he usually scores above all the other characters except for Lina.

Whether it's writing or drawing or anything, it's just about how much time you put into it. Write the stuff you want to write and use it as practice in learning how to write. Then as you improve, edit those stories and make them better. The "trick" to writing is your first draft sucks, even when you're an experienced writer. All stories need tons of editing to be polished.

Tons of people like Gourry. I think he's one of the best characters ever made for delivering plot exposition and comedy.

Really? I only see people talk about Zelgadis all the time, but I am used to people liking the jaded type of character like that the most. (Maybe Zelgadis just has the most fangirls).

The thing I did like about Zel the most though, was that he seemed to always try to play into an archetype and not quite succeeding . Like he wants to be 'that stoic guy' but he's not really at all.

Back in the day, all anyone talked about was Xellos, Lina and Xellos x Filia pairings. Got so annoying.

But Amelia loves YOU

I just want to see awoo to make an appearance in the series.

Technically she appeared at the end of Try.

Konosuba was better

>The thing I did like about Zel the most though, was that he seemed to always try to play into an archetype and not quite succeeding . Like he wants to be 'that stoic guy' but he's not really at all.
I think that's part of his appeal, that gap moe. If he were just a cool edgy guy he would be as boring and generic as the token edgy character in any shounen series, but instead he's this shy, awkward, self-conscious, quiet guy. I like his character a lot because he feels like a person that could exist in real life.

Hhaha, maybe I should give her another chance....FOR JUSTICE!

I remember Zel x Lina being the most popular pairing in late 90s-early 00s Anglophone Slayers fandom. It seemed like fans back then did everything they could to avoid the pairings hinted at in the anime and instead invented their own reasons why characters were secretly madly in love with each other. Never understood that.

I couldn't accept Xellos x anybody unless it's a twisted BDSM thing; it's just not in mazoku programming to fall in love.

Laabu and Paisu.

Please do, user. She really has a lot of good points and mellows out over time even if you might find her annoying at first.

Yeah, I never got it either. In a way, all fanbases do that. But Slayers fans were exceptionally obsessive of it. At least Xellos and Filia worked as a joke. But there's literally no way, even a hint, about Lina and Zelgadis. Aside from one line where Lina mocks Zelgadis.

I did enjoy her relationship with her father.

>But there's literally no way, even a hint, about Lina and Zelgadis. Aside from one line where Lina mocks Zelgadis.
Why'd there have to be a hint for people to ship them? I'm not Zel/Lina shipper, but they had nice dynamics in the first season and I don't see anything weird if people like two characters and want to imagine how their relationship could develop.
That also probably has something to deal with Gourry and Amelia being less popular and more bland compared to Zel and Lina as characters.

If they had based that on the novels, I would have understood it a little more. It's slightly ambiguous there (although I think Kanzaka once said that Zel is not in love with anyone in the novels, so the "hints" might not be that intentional anyway). But at the time the novels hadn't been translated yet, and in the anime it's pretty clear who likes whom even if they didn't come out and say it directly.

I always saw Zel and Lina as bros and comrades who don't see each other as the opposite sex, a good example of a male/female friendship that doesn't have sexual tension. Making it romantic ruins the fun dynamic they had going, kind of competitive and making fun of each other like how guys banter with their friends.

Gourry is underrated

Personally I'm not very fond of Zel/Amelia because Amelia acts like a kid, it feels unsettling to ship them. I can see Zel being sort of older brother to her but not a lover.

People can ship whoever they want, but back then there were people who claimed that there was actually a basis for them having secret feelings for each other and that's just silly.

I don't find Amelia or Gourry bland at all, they have a lot of hidden depth in them beyond just being genki comic relief.

>Ameria

Isn't that where they dug up the Turn-A?

>but they had nice dynamics in the first season
The problem is they didn't really have a dynamic. Gourry called her a child and taunted her. Lina taunted him back. If that's enough to be a dynamic, then you might as well ship Lina x Jiras. Then after season 1, Lina hardly ever talks to Zelgadis and its clear Amelia is his pair.

There was also a lot of people who shipped Lina x Xellos. But while its obviously not romance in the show, at least they have a lot more interaction in the show than Lina and Zelgadis do.

His episode is basically the only good episode in Revolution.

This is a complaint I've heard from others before and I think it gets to the heart of why certain people can't accept Zel/Amelia as a pairing. The sibling/lover overlapping dynamic, which often includes an age gap, comes up a lot in Japanese fiction and it either appeals to you or it doesn't. For me I really like how their relationship has some big brother/little sister overtones to it, I find it really heartwarming. It also adds a bit to the forbidden love situation they're in, with the fact that Zel is a chimera with a criminal record and Amelia as a princess.