Magi

I honestly believe this was a great manga and I dont get the hate for the last arcs. When you read it from the beggining, it was obvious most of the final events were planned beforehand.

I stopped reading during the Solomon arc.
He changed from being a clever little thing to everyone having super god forms .
There is some real intresting stuff there, like with sinbad being a badguy/good guy . But power creep ruined it

Magi definitely wasn't perfect, but there were a lot of things about it that were great. For one thing, it had a very unique style of combining legit western high fantasy tropes with the usual anime jrpg-ish fantasy anime tropes. The story alterated between Dragon Quest vibes and Tales from the Flat Earth vibes in a very exciting way.

Kudos to the author for including a fair share of metaphysics towards the end. Those are some of the most exciting parts of modern fantasy settings, but they tend to be largely ignored in most Japanese media, with the big excepetions like Nasuverse stuff not being high fantasy and relying on real-world traditions.

The inconsistent shit quality releases of the last chapters didn't help.

To count, David is hinted at right in the Magnostadt arc, same with the whole sacred palace/destiny/il ilah shit. They even call Il Ilah "a creature of a higher hierarchy that shouldnt be here".

Pretty damn great fantasy manga. Gyokuen was amazing too.

It's easily one of the best shonen in recent years.

Shitty inconsistent release schedule fucked it up.

Everything wrong with Magi:
>Aladdin was a nice protagonist at first since he is the drive force that allow us to know about the world, Alibaba at the other hand is a generic shounen main characer that swallow more screentime that he should, if he had a more interesting personality it could have worked better.
>This manga sure like to push the "slavery is bad" message, i mean, yeah, slavery is pretty fucked up, but it ended more being preachy, considering the setting no one should have a problem with slavery since that is part of their culture, but everytime it is adressed everyone talk about how awful it is, i mean, i think the message could be stronger if Alibaba was fine and casual while explaining what slavery is when they first encounter Morgiana but Aladdin is the one having problems with that kind of system, Alibaba don't understand Aladin's problem, after all, it have been part of their culture since the very begining, but after the first dungeon arc, knowing Morgiana better and with the treat of his country becoming a slave exporting country he realize the real evil of the system giving him a reason to change the world for the better and *gasp* also giving him actual character development. Also is there any need to push the exact same message for like 50 or so chapters in a row?
>in the kouga clan arc there was this general who was treating the natives really bad, was pushing an offensive aproach and was a really asshole dude, what shoul Hakuei do? letting him in charge of the entire army of course! what a brilliant idea!, also in the same arc, the same dude captured a bunch of girls to make them slaves, but he had the oh so great idea of keeping them to make her give birth to many babies they could sell, what was exactly his plan? to put the girls in kou's militar camp where Hakuei could find the girls and recognize them putting in risk that guy's position in the military or outright punishing him to death.
continue...

>So this guy managed to capture Morgiana, for some reason he think the most logical option is to put her in the same cell that the loli, fine, i'm ok with that, the loli get sick and Fatima decide that the better option would be straight up killing her (remember we are giving a message) but acurately sick slaves were still sold but with a sign that say that they were sick, of course she would cost less, but she could cost something, that guy is actually losing money by getting rid of her, you might argue that he didn't want to expose her to the other slaves and infect them too, but if that's the case he could put Nadja in an empty quarantine cell until she get better or die, at least with this option there is the possibility that she survives and he can make a profit, but ok, i'm still okay with that, with what i'm not okay with is that when he was going to kill the loli he had the oh so great idea to drag Morgiana and make her see how the loli is killed, you may make the argument that Fatima was being cocky and never expected Morgiana to get loose of her chains, but when you think about it, there was no need at all, he could just get the loli out, kill her and keep Morgiana prisioner, fuck, i'm a better slave trader than this guy and i'm just a fat neet who read manga and watches anime all day, and even when Morgiana defeat everyone he could call his hawk and surprise attack her again, but that requires having at least two neurons to think about that, remember, slavery is bad and all slave traders are cartoonish evil idiots we have to tell you this message... for the third time in a row.
>ok, i'm in the middle of Balbadd arc and... there is actually nothing bad with... GOD DAMNIT again with the same thing!?, we get it Ohtaka slavery is bad, want to make us reflect in another theme? maybe, i don't know, homosexuality, misoginy, racism or something like that?
continue...

>the Magnostadt arc is good, just good, but it have the fatal flaw of compromising the development of the rest of the MAIN characters, Alibaba got his new transformation off screen and Morgiana (remember her motivation of returning to her home and meet her family again?) got axed for a nonsensical world building, if it were for me i would remove the whole great rift thing and make a round robin arc that changes perspectives between Alibaba, Aladdin and Morgiana, Aladdin arc would remain the same, Alibaba would have a training arc and Morgiana could have her reunion arc she deserves, she find a village of fanalis that captures and kill anyone who pass nearby, at first she is captured, but then she discover that the leader is... her father!, yay she found her family, she got her happy ending... or did she? at first she is happy, but then she discover the bloody truth of the fanalis tribe she used to belong (because you are seriously telling me that there were only one tribe of Fanalis in the entire world?) it result that the tribe is a warrior tribe who killed many people and other fanalis from other tribes, then she discover who her mother is when another fanalis tribe atack the village leadered by... Morgiana's mother herself, it result that Morg's father destroyed the village when her mother used to live, then he captured her, raped her and force her to give birth to Morgiana and take the baby, Morgiana's mother filled with hate asked for help to Reim's soldiers in Katarg ot knowing that that would be the thing that sparked the fanalis hunt that made Morgiana into a slave in the first place, now Morgiana's father want to declare war to Reim, and Morgiana decide to stop him, because, you know, war is bad, and that they should not resot to violence and they shouldn't do to them the same thing they did to the Fanalis and all that stuff, after that Morgiana realize that her entire family is fucked up and she decide that ...
continue...

>her real family is Alibaba and Aladdin and she go to Magnostadt for the final fight against the medium. HOLY SHIT i wrote a better arc for Morgiana that what we actually got, is not perfect, but again, is even better that what we got.
>the Alma Toran arc was fairly long, but we still didn't got the development that we needed
>Arba should have been the final Villian, David is not interesting at all, and since the begining the focus was put in Arba, defeating her was the real objective, the Alma Toran Arc should have developed her better instead of presenting David, or at least he could have been the mini villain of that arc with the purpose of foreshadowing Arba's terrific powers and insanity, i mean, she can hear god's voice telling her what to do, wouldn't that be the same as David clarividence? she could have been the driving force of the assault to the sacred palace... BTW what was the voice that Arba was hearing? it was never explained
>Hakuuryu's redemption was rushed as hell and Alibaba's fake death removed all tension of the manga, why should we care? no main character is going to die anyways
>Why is Ohtaka pushing the narrative that the white rukh is bad whe the entire manga is dedicated to show us that everyone who fell into depravity were evil assholes with the capacity to destroy the world, that narrative would have worked better if during the manga we were presented with heroic fallen people, people who fell into depravity but they were still good guys who helped Aladdin and the crew, that could be the thing that convinces Aladdin that black rukh is not evil by default and the system of the sacred palace is actually corrupted and it has to be destroyed.
>the entire final fight in the sacred palace and outside the sacred palace
>the ending was rushed and incomplete

God you again, shut the fuck up.

and at last but not least:
>the implications of the ending, instead of questioning the consequences of a new world or system, it tell us that everything is going to be fine just because the MC says so, without the metal vessels they will no longer have the power to maintain a country? "nah, everything is going to be fine", but without the Magi system how can we manage our contry like we were doing in Reim for...? "Nope, were are going to be fine", at least do you know what would happen if we merge with the dark continent with all those huge creatures capable to eat us with ease? "I SAID THAT WERE WILL BE FINE! NOW SHUT UP!". Great, now we live in a world with vicious creature who can eat us, we have to start from zero, now without Sinbad to regulate the rules of global market, we are now defenseless and, oh boy, Arba is still alive, now she is free to ruin the world in another oportunity, have a nice day!... oh and Wahid and Tess never reunited with Falan and the magician of Alma Toran were forgotten and what will happen to the souls of those who die in the new world, what happened with the souls who died in the old world? were they set to oblivion? they migrated to the rukh of the new world? it is never explained.

I unironically agree with almost all your points.

>You are pointing the flaws of the manga i like and i don't have enough arguments to counter them so shut up.

No, many of your points are valid, Im just sick and tired of you putting the same wall of texts on every magi thread. Stop that shit. Make it shorter if you want to spam your opinion so much.

>>Aladdin was a nice protagonist at first since he is the drive force that allow us to know about the world, Alibaba at the other hand is a generic shounen main characer that swallow more screentime that he should, if he had a more interesting personality it could have worked better.
Just an opinion.
>>This manga sure like to push the "slavery is bad" message, i mean, yeah, slavery is pretty fucked up, but it ended more being preachy, considering the setting no one should have a problem with slavery since that is part of their culture, but everytime it is adressed everyone talk about how awful it is, i mean, i think the message could be stronger if Alibaba was fine and casual while explaining what slavery is when they first encounter Morgiana but Aladdin is the one having problems with that kind of system, Alibaba don't understand Aladin's problem, after all, it have been part of their culture since the very begining, but after the first dungeon arc, knowing Morgiana better and with the treat of his country becoming a slave exporting country he realize the real evil of the system giving him a reason to change the world for the better and *gasp* also giving him actual character development. Also is there any need to push the exact same message for like 50 or so chapters in a row?
Is there any need to push the message anyways? And Alibaba came from Balbadd, who was not a slaver country at the moment (see SnB). He was ok with it until he got involved and had to think by himself.

>putting the same wall of texts on every magi thread
i just posted this two times user, if you think that all the flaws in Magi can be pointed in less text, why don't you try to do that yourself?

Sinbad cancer of magi.

>>in the kouga clan arc there was this general who was treating the natives really bad, was pushing an offensive aproach and was a really asshole dude, what shoul Hakuei do? letting him in charge of the entire army of course! what a brilliant idea!, also in the same arc, the same dude captured a bunch of girls to make them slaves, but he had the oh so great idea of keeping them to make her give birth to many babies they could sell, what was exactly his plan? to put the girls in kou's militar camp where Hakuei could find the girls and recognize them putting in risk that guy's position in the military or outright punishing him to death.
The dude was acting behinds Hakueis back. The second part was him just being stupid evil, but I agree.

Ill resume your posts like you should to answer you properly.
>Why did slaver wanted to kill ill girl if...
System in magi might (woah!) be different from real life. Also honestly this is the most stupid shit to complain about.

>if it were for me...
Unimportant. What a boring fanfic.

>the Alma Toran arc was fairly long, but we still didn't got the development that we needed
Oh I agre with you here.

>David is boring.
Disagree, David was a great villain and a perfect counterpart to everything Aladdin learned during the series. Agree on the voice thing.
>Hakuryuu redemption was rushed.
Agree, one of the biggests sins in Magi.
>Black rukh thing.
Sorta agree here. Ohtaka plays a lot with the idea that black rukh isnt bad, with even Aladdin adscribing to it, but ultimately the whole system makes it so that once someone is a good person its rukh turns white, in a sense turning it into a cause-consequence issue and nothing else.
>Final fight thing.
Disagree, it was good.
>Ending.
Agree.
Arba has no reason to act anymore. They will negotiate with the gods. Things will at least be as fine as they were when Solomon was ruling, with even more hopes of communication now. Nothing else.

Plot was fine, combat tactics very quickly degraded to whoever has the bigger Stando.

>System in magi might (woah!) be different from real life. Also honestly this is the most stupid shit to complain about.
i don't really think is stupid, the whole point of Fatima and all slave traders are that they want to make money, by putting Nadja in quarintine she might take her time to recover but ultimately he would make more money, besides my complain is more that the whole arc felt like a huge succession of asspulls and contrived coincidences.
>Unimportant. What a boring fanfic.
that's my point, i deliveratively made the most bullshit fanfiction to prove that even that would be better that what we got, Ohtaka refused to give Morgiana her deserved development, that was my complain.
>Disagree, David was a great villain and a perfect counterpart to everything Aladdin learned during the series. Agree on the voice thing.
the problem is that he desestabilized the flow of the manga, when you are writing a story, you need a focus, an objective to acomplish before ending the story, at first, defeating Al-Thamen was the focus, it was changed later to defeat Arba, wich is a good thing since she was the leader of Al-Thamen and a really powerful magi, but then David appeared and everything went to shit, David felt forced, like if he didn't belonged in the story, also he appearing made Arba weaker, all the build up towards her and Al-Thamen was thrown away, besides Arba could have substituded David in the final arc and the plot could be unaltered.
>Disagree, it was good.
it was a bunch of missed oportunities that ended in a generic family kamehameha instead of a clever fight, again, not having any kind of tension ruined it.
>Arba has no reason to act anymore
ok
>with even more hopes of communication now
and that's the problem, they don't want war, but what if they comunicate with a world that does and is even more advanced?