Why is it trendy to hate Yuasa and call his fans pretentious nowadays?

Why is it trendy to hate Yuasa and call his fans pretentious nowadays?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/8VvA3RWsZjs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

because Sup Forums is full of brainlets

IRC gang have been at it since ping pong

I've been saying it since I watched Kemonozume like a decade ago.

Why do you think his stuff's pretentious?

People have been calling Yuasafags pretentious since at least 2010

All style no substance.

All retard no brain.

what does this american film critic meme even mean

Can you give an example? All of his adaptations I think have been pretty solid and retain most of what people liked about the originals. His original stuff often has weak conclusions but in terms of overall execution they're engaging and tell the story they're trying to tell, which is usually pretty simplistic and not really complicated or offensive like the word pretentious implies.

a) went from having visually unique aesthetics to the repeating the same shit hes been using for toonami galaxy, the respective movie, devilman and lu (hell, even kaiba has a fairly similar approach)
b) always overdoes it on the sexual implications, teenagers and college freshmen for some reason misinterpret this as "mature"
c) hardly any of his works are well scripted, pingpong and mindgame are the obvious exceptions here. however, the conclusion of kaiba, the wasted potential of kemonozume and whatever the fuck lu was even supposed to be certainly are incredibly lackluster. not even gonna bother with toonami galaxy since, at least in my opinion, the only reason that show is as popular as it, is becuase its so piss easy for the audience i listed under b) to self-insert

those are the three reason why his fandom annoys the living hell out of me, at least. and i am pretty that hes been called pretentious ever since paranoia agent, probably even kemonozume.

substance is an empty signifier, there is no reason to engage someone using it as a criticism in any sort of discussion

A lot of them are under the illusion that as long as an anime has his name in the credits, it's automatically good. And that's body retarded. I like Tatami and Kaiba as much as anyone but people overrate ping-pong big time.

But Lu/Devilman/kaiba looks nothing like Tatami Galaxy aesthetically.

>I like Tatami and Kaiba
>but people overrate ping-pong
now thats gotta be the worst case of shit taste ive seen in a while.

Also I've seen people (and not newfags too) call Mind Game GOAT. Imagine.

Why did you phrase that question the exact same way I posted it in a thread once?

I think you guys misunderstand Yuasa fans or something. It's objectively true that anything he has a hand in directing will at least have great animation/visuals but I've never seen anyone praise him for his writing ability.

mind game is arguably his most well directed work, user. you might not like the visuals which is fair, but that doesnt change the fact that he probably put more thought into the direction, script and storyboarding of mind game than he put into any of his other works, and it shows.

Name one good thing about that anime that's not animation.

art direction. you really didnt make this hard. also sports a pretty impressive and versatile soundtrack. its also one of his only well scripted works with very strong characters and respective development. kong probably is better written than every single cast member of toonami galaxy combined.

>since paranoia agent
What?

i meant to say mindgame but my thoughts overlapped, gomen gomen

I never said it's bad but putting it anywhere near a best of all time list? The funny thing is that the people who do that are the same ones who fill those lists with obscure 80s/90s OVAs. You know it's coming from a pretentious hipster place.

oh, i thought you meant as in "his best work". not literally the great of all time.
>obscure 80s/90s OVAs
to be fair, there are a lot of very underappreciated ovas from that timeline.

>art direction
No we're arguing semantics. I meant besides visuals, happy?

>soundtrack
Nothing about it is notable at all, I had to look it up on YouTube just now to even remember it. It's generic as fuck.

>better written than every single cast member of toonami galaxy combined
I will smack you with a ping-pong racket.

>generic as fuck
youtu.be/8VvA3RWsZjs
I think overall, the soundtrack supplemented the overall tone really effectively, even if there weren't a lot of memorable individual tracks. This is kind of hard to articulate but, I think it really conveyed the soul that the manga had quite effectively.
different user btw

I think he’s just got a real spotlight on him now because of Devilman. Ping Pong is still AOTD though. People who call him pretentious have never watched anything he directed, or watched the first episode of Tatami and became angry at how fast Watashi spoke.

/threat

He's just getting shitposts because Devilman