Question to anons who've been into anime for a longer time...

Question to anons who've been into anime for a longer time. I want to know about your experiences with coming back to shows you've seen somewhere at the beginning of watching anime. Do they hold up?

I'm asking because I rewatched Bebop recently after a long time. I really liked it back then, but later I came to think it might be overrated or something people new to anime just like. Finished it today again, and I was dead wrong. This shit is amazing, even better than back then.

FLCL has gotten better every time I rewatched it. It never stops being amazing to me.

You're right, same here. Though since I watched it the first time I've rewatched it several times. With Bebop it was different since this was the first time after probably about eight years.

Maybe I should give Bebop a rewatch then, my feelings were similar. I also feel like Planetes is overrated now. But other popular shows like Slayers and Crest of the Stars I still respect.

Depends. I was like 13-14 when I watched a lot of the highly praised anime shows and films. When I rewatched some of them many years later, of course I noticed more flaws, but that didn't automatically make them shit.
And in some cases, I started to notice stuff I never really seen on the first watch. Like with Eva.

And it's surprising how little of the plot I remembered sometimes. Most little details are just gone.

Depends on the show. Recently rewatched Kenshin and Kino no Tabi before the second season aired and had opposite reactions to them. Kenshin was one of the first shows I saw and I always thought it was just okay, but on rewatch it was fantastic (taking out the fillers). Kino no Tabi was instantly my favorite show when I first saw it, and I had always continued to say it was a favorite or my most favorite, but when I rewatched it it had almost no appeal at all, to the point where I stopped rewatching it because I was afraid I'd wind up hating it.

There's a reason why a lot of people were so excited by Space Dandy but when it wasn't Cowboy Bebop 2 they dropped it real fast, even if Space Dandy was pretty damn good. Cowboy Bebop is held at such high regards and a lot of people will call it overrated but sometimes things are overrated because they are just that good. Just like even after all the shows I've watched over the years FLCL is still one of, if not my favorite anime. It's often talked down on but everything about it is so good and a lot of shows I watched since have rarely had any amount of the charm or fun that FLCL has

Tenchi Dub is pretty bad. Characters and backstory is alright. Better than isekai #142.

I rewatched Code Geass like a year ago and came to the conclusion that people who shit on the second season are wrong or just mad that Karen doesn't get as much screentime.

Yeah, Eva has probably the best rewatch value to me of pretty much anything. The first minute already has a scene which you only understand after watching EoE. On top of that not only do you understand more stuff, but things suddenly stand out that you just didn't pay attention to the first time.

Record of Lodoss War is still solid.

I don't know about the TV show, but the OVA was extremely bland besides the nice art.

I tried watching a few episodes, couldn't get into it. It lacked depth IMO, though it had more than I gave it credit for at first, but it's the character design I hate. You have two designs, the 'beautiful' melodramatic androgynous characters and the hyper-masculine square jaw throwaway military men. Seemed pretty flat if those are the only two character designs.

Yep. And who cares about animating dragons?

Just learn to look past the CLAMP designs. One of the reasons why Code Geass was so successful is because it has something that almost anyone can grasp onto. Great mecha action, decent dose of melodrama, mystery elements, slightly edgy protagonist, etc.

I rewatched Yu Yu Hakusho which I loved as a kid. Upon rewatching I kept thinking to myself
>was the dialogue always this bad?

I rewatched Witch Hunter Robin because I had fond memories of seeing it in middle school. Boy was that a mistake, halfway through I was already wishing for it to be over. The ED is still as good as I remembered though.

I haven't flip-flopped too much on what shows I like, but I find that certain series seem to hold up throughout the years better than others even when my overall attitude, maturity, direction in life changes.

Things like GitS, FLCL, Aria, Eve no Jikan, Initial D, Yamato, Eva, etc, etc, tend to last no matter what.

I'll watch everything, but some stand the test of time while others, like say most moe stuff, will be fun to watch and shitpost about for a season or two but then kinda fade out of memory.

>Yamato
Old or new Yamato?

I was rewatching Toradora when the dub came out around 3-4 years ago because I was curious to see how it was.
My girlfriend dumped me when I was in the middle of Ep 7 and I haven't continued watching since.
Overall my feelings about the show didn't really change during the rewatch, some jokes still made me chuckle and the dub was okay.

Both. Although the new one is still pretty new so it's hard to say. I think they did the new one really well, but the original is a piece of history and I love the art.

I rewatched the first two anime I have ever seen in my life: Robotech and Zillion.

I chose to watch the original Macross instead of the amalgam and I was sort of pleased. I like Misa more now. The worst thing was the ending. I had to rewatch Do You Remember Love? to wash my brain. What a great movie.

Back then, the bikes and the gun made Zillion one of the coolest shows I had seen. Upon rewatch I think it is below average. After watching so much stuff, the show becomes completely unremarkable. To make matters worse I watched the "fun" OVA. What a stupid idea.

>The worst thing was the ending.
What's wrong with SDF Macross's ending?

Bebop is one of the best anime series of all time, and one of my favorite shows, I've watched it as a teen and rewatched it many times since (31 now). Its still amazing

That's how I was with Kikaider. I remember loving the shit out of it when it first aired on Toonami but a few years ago I rewatched and it wasn't anywhere near as good as I remember. At least the main series was watchable unlike the OVA

Dai-Guard, Planetes, and LoGH still hold up really well.

Pokemon, Digimon, Sailor Moon not so much.

The thing about Cowboy Bebop is that most of its episodes were just derivatives of other media.

Elaborate.

The thing about media is that most of it is just derivatives of other media

Episode 1 is just Goodfellas.

>Goodfellas
Never watched that.

Probably because Kaboi Biboppu is the only anime to ever pass the test of time.

Zillion was interesting back then, when the story was moving forward (with central characters finally dying); Groizer X was also interesting not so much because of the fights (although it had some things I haven't seen before, such as snipers attacking the mech pilots, and the signature finisher attack being used in the middle of a battle), but because of the characters.
Saint Seiya had interesting (enough) arcs that gave me (a viewer) visible short term goals, Rayearth had its fantastical world progressively become ruined due to the absence of its "pillar", Shurato kind of did the same thing but had distinct, (most of the times) more likable/remarkable characters. Sailor Moon had waifus (Makoto and Ami best waifus), the story wasn't much interesting but there wasn't something better to do with my time back then so I followed it.
At one point I became obsessed with good decision making and now I find the fights in older (and present day) anime to be mostly boring, flashy but unsmart. It's like how the Swat Kats duo must be feeling when they're not piloting aircrafts.

> 26 years old

Aside from some shounen being low-brow and some drama being melodramatic, most of the shows I liked then still hold up.

Is Vandread worth it?

i need to rewatch Rayearth my personal masterpiece.

comeback next week with this thread opie.

Maybe i should try it again. I watched it and felt very whatever.
I loved Bebop though, but I know a lot of people who don't like it because it's 'slow' or doesnt have a continuous plot throughout. I like that about it .

I am cynical though and think part of its appeal is the ending mostly. People like dramatic/ vague endings.

Personally, I think Love Hina no longer holds up as well as it did. While it's still a good romantic anime, it's not really a good harem anime.