How is this show so good at making me feel so bad?

How is this show so good at making me feel so bad?

If that's the case then something is wrong with you, go read some philosophy or something.

What once was happy now is sad.

I find amazing that people sended death threats for another ending despite the fact that the original was pretty straightfoward and happy, at least in comparison with the movies.

the tone of the original ending was good it just was completely incoherent
when i watched the last two tv episodes i had no idea what was happening, they only said "this is instrumentality" like once, but without any explanation of the events leading up to it, it just had zero impact

Yeah, i guess you're right, the first part from EOE i guess cover some of that in the sense that everybody, as they are dying, come to terms of who they are, that being everything that happened in the last two ep from the anime, you really can't separate one from another. The only thing i didn't understand was the consequences from the third impact.

Because it gets intimate with the characters (and the viewer if they can relate) like almost no other series.

I just finished it for the second time today. My first time through I was gaining some satisfaction from the fact that I'm not very much like Shinji, but second time around I'm recognizing that there's more similarity than I admitted at first.

>the tone of the original ending was good it just was completely incoherent
The original ending was mostly unnecessary. Every bit of philosophical rambling or introspective narration done by the characters was already covered by their actions in the previous 24 episodes. The only thing that actually happens story or character wise in the last 2 episodes is Shinji changing his attitude in the last minute.

all the super random third impact stuff was pretty weird but it was the tumbling down scenes that really showed how important instrumentality was and what it actually meant

yeah i definitely like eoe more

>is Shinji changing his attitude in the last minute.
Come on dude, he was basically being mindfucked into understading that the only person who could give meaning to his life and telling him who he was, was himself, if EOE had not being made it's still would made sense, maybe instrumentality was in the beginning what happened in the last two episodes instead of what we got from ending of evangelion.

To clarify, I don't meant that Shinji changed his attitude too quickly, I mean that every single bit of dialogue in 25 & 26 up until that last minute was a rehash of things we already knew about the characters from watching them in episodes 1-24. From a pure audience perspective, all of that narration was unnecessary because it was completely redundant. Shinji's attitude changing was fine, but the way it was presented in the TV version was worthless storytelling-wise.

The ending from EOE was really underwhelming, it felt like there was something else after asuka and shinji came back to earth, but no, it was just "you're disgusting" and that is, what a let down.

What's left? Watching Asuka and Shinji wander the wasteland until they both die?

A necessary evil, without 25, 26 would have been just a random episode that apeared out of nowhere without much reason to exist, 26 explained in much detail what it needed to explain, how shinji can shape reality to his own perception and how his own image is just a mirror of who he is.

>What's left? Watching Asuka and Shinji wander the wasteland until they both die?
Yes.

is this the brainlet general?

Yes.

>and how his own image is just a mirror of who he is.
fuck i meant
and how the way everybody see him is actually how he see himself.

just watch the end, it's happy

I don't know, I actually thought that the ending was relatively poignant. It's aiming to illustrate that the mere act of rejecting Instrumentality and choosing to remain an individual doesn't fix all of a person's problems and character flaws. On the contrary, rejecting Instrumentality means taking ownership for one's own flaws and struggling to resolve them oneself, rather than allow the collective consciousness to eliminate any sense of discomfort. That's the significance of Shinji's attempt to strangle Asuka on the beach, and of her still-judgmental words to him.

Because your escapist entertainment is calling you out for being a lonely antisocial manchild faggot

Seems more like the I am very smart general for contrarians to brag about how smart they are on an anime board

All memes aside, what did anno mean by this whole sequence?

>you are sad, go read some philosophy
I honestly don't know what was the logic behind your post user

If OP is that much of a fag that he feels sad just by watching eva then he found shinji relatable, if he found him relatable then he doesn't know too much about life or himself, the other option is visiting a psychiatrist, otherwise read some Kant, Emerson, Nietzsche or Jung, they have good points on what is the individual and how to live your life.

Fuck like rabbits and raid a nearby supermarket.

>op: this puddle made me wet
>user: go jump in the ocean

How else do you learn how to swin?

>On the contrary, rejecting Instrumentality means taking ownership for one's own flaws and struggling to resolve them oneself, rather than allow the collective consciousness to eliminate any sense of discomfort.
That's all fine and good, i just wished the earth wasn't literally a hellhole where nothing will ever grow or live, it's not like the whole thing was that much grounded in reality but still, they're humans, what are they going to do now that they are in an inhospitable planet with no help or resources.

Nah it made me feel pretty good. I feel for the characters and all but the anti escapism message was nice.

It's going to be tricky for someone in that position to get through Kant with no background in that subject, or to read Nietzsche without misinterpreting him - not to mention the fact that it's difficult to derive an emotional/psychological kick-in-the-ass from Nietzsche if you can't accept his normative assumptions, even when you do correctly understand him. Continental philosophy can be great stuff and can seriously improve one's mindset if invested in, but for most people it's not going to work as some kind of self-help tool that a person can just pick up and access.

Because you're a little bitch who gets upset over children's robot cartoons.

I agree that without showing instrumentality, it loses some kick, but in the end of the day, NGE wasn't about action, it was about the characters psychology, and a forced magical group therapy is not a bad ending in any form
I REALLY liked anime ending. Both EoE and ending of Anime are great conclusions, and i have no favorites

>it's not going to work as some kind of self-help tool that a person can just pick up and access.
I don't think that's the purpose of philosophy, or for that matter any kind of rule or guideline or belief that one could follow to live his life, the only person that can understand oneself is himself, there's people in this world that have gone through worse than us and their advice is just important and useful as their expierences, knowing this, one can form from his own opinion and base his own beliefs on how to live, it's necesary if you ever want to reach old age, even moreso if OP is from a first world country where people are so sheltered from the real life.

That's what I loved about the show when I rewatched it was by the nature of being older and having more life experience than when I was like 14 and first saw it having a new perspective on all the characters and their struggles making the show have a whole new experience

why is there a picture of a shining reference in a compilation of images meant to be about evangelion?

the purple thing that was released when seele attacked the NERV HQ.

It's a shame 80% of the people who watched it missed the point.

Yui said anyone can come back

Because it's great and nothing else will ever come close to being like it.

i dunno that whole sequence is pretty dense.

>shinji as a child
>him reflecting on his upbringing
>or possibly a metaphor reflecting that he has a naive and childlike view of his relationships with others

>stage lights
>reflecting the dreamlike/non-real aspect of instrumentality, things may seem real but are nothing more than a stage/performance
>also reflects the stage imagery from ep25/26

>sandbox
>idea of shinji being able to create his own reality in instrumentality?
>or maybe that actual reality is malleable as well depending on your way of viewing the world

>dialogue
>it's just like when i first started playing the cello = only doing things because others want him to
>doesn't start building until the other kids ask him to

>children are actually dolls
>others as we see them don't exist per se and only exist as the constructions we have of them in our head
>or maybe the idea that people in instrumentality literally aren't real

>children being called away
>reinforcing loneliness, perhaps called away because of shinji himself, reinforcing his ideas of his self-hatred

>shinji constructing the pyramid/NERV hq
>representing him being crucial in a process that he hates
>also might refer to his view on life and the world, meaning that he himself constructs that which makes him so miserable

>shinji looking over the edge
>him coming to understand or somewhat recognize the fakeness of what he's seeing
>also possible suicide imagery of looking down a cliff face

>swing, possibly represents life
>swings= things go as normal
>stops swining= death, also final shot obstructs view of the setting sun (archetypal symbol for life)

>destruction of the pyramid
>his hatred of NERV and his desire to tumble it all down
>attempts to rebuild it, symbolizing remorse
>or rebuilding it because it's all he knows (i.e. what others tell him to do)

should be noted the entire sequence is titled "loneliness"

maybe i'm overanalyzing it

Imagine thinking EVA was anything more than edgy pretentious waifubait.

The main thing that I took away from it was that Shinji is the kind of person who commits to a project or creation (like the sand pyramid, or like his commitment to NERV) because other people tell him to. But if they don't value what he does (if they ignore his sand pyramid for instance), he doesn't have the ability to invest it with value himself. Its only value came from other people. So he ultimately lashes out at it and fails to construct anything which he can imbue with positive value of his own accord. It's an instance of how he only finds identity in the eyes of others.

I think you noticed these points already, but I think that they're the most significant part of that scene and the least likely to be red herrings.

I disagree with this overall, but I can concede that it incorporated a fuckton of unnecessary obscurantism and artificial difficulty - I appreciated the visual symbolism but some of the intentional obscurity didn't seem to mean anything deliberate or particular, and was just thrown in for its own sake. That sort of thing boils down to illusory depth rather than genuine thematic significance or subtlety, though I think NGE possesses a fair bit of real subtlety as well.

That said, I don't think it's necessarily invalid for the audience to interject meanings into the work, even if the artist never intentionally placed them there. Lots of debate could be had about that.

This is pretty much what I got out of the scene as well. Beyond just not being able to imbue value in certain activities or whatever without the approval of others though, I saw it as more broadly representing an inability to value life in general without the approval and urging of others.

Shinji destroying the pyramid after the other kids ditch him seemed like an analogy for any kind of extremely self destructive behavior in the wake of abandonment (whether real or perceived)

This, EoE especially in my experience got to me in a way I don't recall anything else quite doing. Of course a lot of that had to do with specific life events around when I watched it but I think most people can find some relatable shit in Eva