Whats your favorite anime made before 2000?

im interested in watching some anime made before 2000, what are some of your favorite? currently on my list to watch ive got
>stop hibari kun
>urusei yatsura
>cardcaptor sakura
>kimagure orange road
>ranma 1/2
>maison ikkoku
>marmalade boy
>touch
>yu yu hakusho

also older anime general, anyone know where i can find stop hibari kun subbed?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z53R0LoeV8c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You should have left out the part about you being interested.

I love Kare Kano, Lain and Rayearth

yeah, i felt it was an obvious rec thread even without so i thought might as well be upfront, ive heard mixed reviews on kare kano, whats your take?

do 80's anime count cuz there's this undderrated tear-jerker

only count saiyan and frieza saga, ur wlc

Patlabor OVA and movies (and manga but I haven't been able to finish it for lack of translations) are all good. Haven't watched the TV anime yet but it's also apparently pretty good.

of course, anything made before 2000, what is it user

Why wouldn't it? It's also pre-2000.

im guessing from the webm those were made late 90s? the animation is really good

OVA and first movie was late 80s. Movie 2 was early 90s.

the animation is super solid, would you consider it a mecha? im not a huge fan of those

The manga and first movie I would. The OVA is sort of half and half having mecha stuff in it verses sol stuff. The second movie doesn't really have much robot stuff in it. Some people don't consider it mecha but it really depends on what you're watching out of it. It does have robots and the focus is a police unit that uses mechs to combat mech crime but it isn't completely focused on mech battles all the time.

Can't forget Slayers

alright, thanks for the rec user! how would you rate the plot?

what do you like about it user?

Only in the sense that it has mechs in it. It's not really about big flashy mech vs mech fights with ridiculous weapons or things like that. It's about police that use a mech

cool! i dont have a problem with mechs themselves, just find that most mechas are just circlejerks over them the entire series

Each OVA episode is generally self contained. I think the last two episodes are one story though. The movies both have interesting stories though I think. The first movie is about a virus programmed into the software that runs every mech in Tokyo and will cause them to go haywire at a certain time unless it's stopped.

The second movie I've seen described as basically a Tom Clancy story and it's about domestic terrorism. I think I need to watch it again as I didn't really catch everything that I probably should have but it's an interesting slow burn story and a few parts of it were influenced by real events. I haven't seen the third movie but apparently it was inspired by an arc in the manga but with most of the characters replaced for some reason.

The manga's story is much more mech focused (and the anime partly follows it but not entirely). A mech company called Shaft are trying to get more relevant in the industry and so are basically challenging the police to mech fights to try and improve their designs. It's being slowly scanlated right now so you can't read it in English entirely right now.

Overall the series is pretty diverse in tone and stories.

Kare Kano is lowkey the best thing Anno ever directed. Shame it fell apart in the last 8 episodes

im guessing its good outside last 8 episodes, does the writing just fall apart?

sounds good! thanks for that user, ill check it out

It just becomes a whole lot of forced melodrama. I'm usually not one who subscribes the the whole "forced drama" meme but in this case the characters just don't act in a way that could be considered reasonable or believable that a person actually would and it's obvious that they only do because the writers wanted conflict

thats sad, seems like that is a common factor in most romances, im guessing its annoying melodrama too like some misunderstanding bullshit

The Rose of Versailles

It may take a bit to get used to the 70s animation style, but I've met very few people who did'nt find themselves hooked after a few episodes. It is an adaption of one of the best Shoujo manga ever. Dezaki is an incredible director and his effects work and surreal imagery really enhances the drama of his shows.

Also, check out Dirty Pair: Project Eden for some well animated 80s fun.

youtube.com/watch?v=z53R0LoeV8c