Has art gotten worse over the last 20 years?

Has art gotten worse over the last 20 years?

Other urls found in this thread:

otakuusamagazine.com/modern-anime-eyes-take-way-too-long-to-draw-says-animator/
youtube.com/watch?v=ItCMX3A1qaE
vimeo.com/52847787
imgur.com/a/yT8Pw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Early 00's are the worst. And no.

jeez
that 90s girl is close but no cigar

You're an idiot. You don't even know what the OP image is from.

well i kind of miss the pixel art, and some still do that for fun.

the thing i miss most is the shading. seems with computer-era anime they favor bright colors. i miss the 80's color balance

this is the kind of remake was probably passed along to less experienced artists. The original images where designed around the limitations of the medium, while the remakes where hastily remade for a quick buck with little regard to quality

Both are shit
OP is a dumb nostalgiacuck

That's one way of admitting you're a moron.

This image makes it extremely clear why modern anime looks the way it does. The modern style of hair and face shape are done in a way to make creating CG models of them that can be used interchangeably with animation. The style likely spawned from series like Love Live that actually use CG models for scenes with a lot of movement, but the general style eventually caught on with those that don't. Video games trying to mimic anime style could also be the source of it.

You can look at the 2010's girl and see how every individual strand of her hair would look in 3D with a relatively conservative polycount.

Could you point me in the direction of the demon girl dating simulator?

bring back my 80s designs

When it comes to the quality of doujin and CG art 15-20 years ago, compare it to what's happened in the past ten years. It's like night and day, the quality has skyrocketed.

The best quality stuff blows almost everything from the past out of the water. There are of course exceptions from the past but it's naive to think they represent the majority.

Yes.

I don't see how it's different from a lot of shit made way before LL.

t. idiot

New CGs aren't nearly as detailed as the best of PC-98. There are no exceptions to this.

It's like the faces became much more interchangeable. Everyone has the same head...

>progressively less and less detailed
Anything post 90s is irredeemable.

Except modern animators don't eat because every frame in modern anime is riddled with stupid pointless detail and old anime was much looser.

This is what an 80s girl looks like

I want to go back.

the modern version is actually good here.

>cherrypicking THIS fucking hard
99% of modern anime lacks detail
If I wanted to cherrypick for my argument I'd post nuDebilman which has literally no shading at all and is probably the worst looking pile of trash I've seen in 2010s

Compare the proportions of the figure in the foreground.

I'm only bothered by lack of proper shading and using more and more 3DCG. My fav character design is from end of 90s to end of 00.

What game is that

>99% of modern anime lacks detail
No it doesn't. All modern anime lacks is shading compared to high-profile productions of the 80s and 90s. Eyes and outfits are ornate and studios are strict about following them.
Hear it from the animators (includes sources so you don't have to be an EOP if you don't want to).
otakuusamagazine.com/modern-anime-eyes-take-way-too-long-to-draw-says-animator/
WIT, Kyoani and sometimes other studios (like Mappa with Bahamut) are all trying to set a standard for polished TV anime and the competition speeds up the cancer.

Because all anime back then looked like the super-upscaled blu-ray releases of billion dollar OVAs you've watched 2 days ago. Go watch actual old anime like MSGundam or Macross and tell me about how "beautiful" the animated puke looks. Plus points for doing so on an old VHS and a faulty CRT screen like everyone actually did back then.

You've truly earned this sage, baiting cretin.

I'm sure it's a budget issue.

>nostalgiafags

I'm not sure if you can say it's technically better, but the old one does have a lot more personality. Left is just generic.

>they removed pantyhose

>being this stupid
Here's an honest to god 90s TV anime, not any OVA, not high budget, regular ass TV anime.
Looks better than your modern shitpile, now fuck off.

Here's an honest to god 10s TV anime, not any OVA, not high budget, regular ass TV anime.

You're cherrypicking, while I picked a generic low budget production, please kill yourself.

this looks plan bad actually, you could use this for example
youtube.com/watch?v=ItCMX3A1qaE
Animation and art quality is stunning and this really looks far better (except chara design) than most of series nowadays.

More people should watch Ushio to Tora.
It's a better 90's action series than most actual 90's action series.

U&T anime didn't have high production valued.
>TV anime of a successful OVA is a generic low budget TV production
Wew

>successful OVA
B A I T
Bubblebum Crisis was a major flop, it was a complete disaster that only had 8 of its planned 13 episodes made. Later they tried making a sequel OVA series called Bubblegum Crash which would have the remaining 5 episodes at much lower budget just to finish the story, but even that flopped hard and they only managed to make 3 out of the 5.
The entire franchise is a fucking dumpster fire when it comes to being successful.

The new ones look better
Old pixel shit has horrible anatomical and bug-eyed problems

>it was such a failure that it kept getting material
So you're saying it was a passion product
Which still makes it leagues above an "average" production regardless of budget

Unsuccessful OVAs are those like Relic Armor Legaciam which got one episode and bankrupted the studio, and those that say "to be continued" and never continue. Your "major flop" spawned an entire franchise.

Because like user above you concluded it was a passion project, financially it was a black hole.

"Passion project" is limited to things that 1. take years or decades to make with little funding but a lot of dedicated manpower, and 2. something they know will not make even but gets funding anyway. The Bubblegum franchise got bubble era funding with a relatively fast production schedule, and OVA follow-ups for TV try to uphold the standard its fans are used to anyway.

vimeo.com/52847787

>black guy
Can't believe those jews were shoving their multiculti garbage as far back as that

Really?

That's one way of admitting you're an idiot.

About Legaciam? Atelier Giga's only OVA, left Hiroyuki Kitazume in debt.

PC98/Pixel art has its charm because it took way more effort to make an character or background look realistic back then, especially with the tools that were available. Today it isn't so tough, but as a consequence everything looks generic and uninspired. Artists/animators could go the extra mile, but again it takes more effort to go past the "good enough" realistic style they can already produce.

You can like one over the other, but I feel as though we're quick to compare the best of those eras with the average of this one.

He's right tho. That woman with green hair looks like she has her eyes placed in the lower third of her skull.
And 90s anime hair in general is shit.

>He's right tho
Why are you referring to yourself in the third person, idiot?

I can't think of any time someone has mentioned this show on Sup Forums.

Not an argument, kill yourself.

>newfags who think that everything modern must mean it is good

I think you should post it on /jp/.

When did he say any of that?

I think it's more of things nowadays feel more mass produced and cookie cutter.

There's nothing to argue with worthless morons like yourself, who wouldn't know good art if it were shoved down their throat.

>no u!

Yu-no never had good art, it was always amateurish shit covered in a nice coat of dithering.

Easy to call things amateurish shit without actually explaining why or backing anything up. Idiots like you are all the same, you don't know anything about art.

>you don't know anything about art.
And you do? Is that why you haven't been able to articulate why yu-no's art is good and instead resorted to name calling like the 12 year-old you are?
Every character in that game has giant shoulders and hideous bug eyes and completely fucked up proportions.
But I'm sure all your art knowledge can explain to me why the fuck I shouldn't consider this amateurish. imgur.com/a/yT8Pw

I'm not the one making mindless claims here, I'm simply correctly labeling you an idiot and you're getting angsty.

>Every character in that game has giant shoulders and hideous bug eyes and completely fucked up proportions.
You could apply that kind of critique to any anime style character. All that shows is you don't belong on this board, idiot.

>But I'm sure all your art knowledge can explain to me why the fuck I shouldn't consider this amateurish
No, you're better off just fucking off. Retards like yourself think their standards override everything.

Also love that you posted a fucking imgur link, like I'm going to bother opening it. You are beyond retarded.

What's wrong with you

Evidently the truth hurts.

That's one way of admitting you're a retard

this was hugely popular in big part because of incest right?

when is someone actually going to translate this

god i really wish they didn't screw-the-pooch with that sequel

If you wished to declare your foolishness, your method was viable.

Is policenauts translated?

Yu-no has shit old designs. Stop defending it.

>Also love that you posted a fucking imgur link
Uploading images is not working, retard. Of course you wouldn't know since all you do is write short lazy replies.
But good job, you completely deflected every argument like the brainless moron you are, maybe some day you will learn how to argue.

yes kindof

that doesn't mean the new designs are good either.

Still miles better than the older

>literally copied the pose but still made the anatomy look worse somehow

The original had some issues, but at least the artist knew how to draw different types of characters. All female characters in the new version look the same, face and body wise.

Personally, I like the 90's style the best.

I'm not educated enough to properly recognize what's bothering me. From my impression it's that the artists didn't/couldn't put much effort into them.
I'd also say that it has something to do with the lighting, shading and colorization.
It's not like everything new is shit though. Maybe there is just more stuff and thus more trash. Maybe it's because we only recognize/remember the good shit from back then or the line between high quality and low quality became bigger and the middleground started to get smaller and smaller.

No, you're a worthless idiot who knows nothing about art.

I know images don't work, that doesn't mean I can't laugh at you for being such a dumbfuck you think I'm going to bother looking at your imgur shit.

Keep that angst up, I can tell you're asspained. The truth tends to bring out the asspain in people like you.

Alright so you are not even gonna try anymore. Enjoy the last (You) are gonna get from me. I hope the attention made you feel less lonely so you don't end up killing yourself.

The PSX version. Yes. It's been for a long time.

This is a pretty successful false flag to make Yu-No and classic anime fans look bad.

Yellow hoodie kid looks like a complete fuccboi in the new version.

I'd post the new Tsukihime art but Hiro hasn't fixed uploading images yet.

I'm not falseflagging, you haven't backed anything you say up and therefore you're a legitimate idiot.

The vast majority of people on this site think the art for YU-NO is amazing on the PC98, so it's the word of a tiny brained autist like you against almost everyone.

>appeal to popularity as an argument for quality

As a big fan of Dragonar, the actual show's animation does not even look remotely like the OP

i actually kinda like the last one more than the others
unironically

Its not like old Tsukihime art is much better.
>giraffe Akiha
>Ciel having claws instead of hands

You never had an argument to begin with, so it works fine. Again, idiots like you are always wrong.