Debiruman

What is the best piece of animated Devilman media and why is it the OVA?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BBquOkjAEhQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Qayq4esPWEg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

OVA is hilarious in English and worth it .

I can't upload pictures for some reason. What is wrong with Sup Forums today?

Devilman OVAs suck at everything but animation. They're incredibly slow paced, even having scenes thrown in there just to pad time. Every scene has weird down time, there's always a good 5 seconds where literally nothing happens. They're missing the sense of goofy humour that characterises early Devilman (unless you watch the dub, which isn't intentionally funny, it's just bad). The action scenes are really poorly directed, everything moves real slow and stunted and nothing looks like it's hitting hard, they completely fail to capture the brutality of Nagai's art. That one cut where Devilman veeeeeeery slowly slides up behind Silene, and it looks like he lightly taps her on the back and she just drops out the sky is laughable. The horror scenes also have zero tension, they feel like they're from a B movie. The colour design is abyssmal, every frame has to be like 50% black to the point that a lot of the time it looks like the characters are stood in a void. I get that this was a staple of 80s OVAs for some reason, but it's just awful.

Nice pasta.

All honest opinions.

Somebody fucked up something, somehow.

Cyborg 009 vs Devilman

It's superfluous and on the cheap side. I liked the OP and ED music.

Of course a crossover is superfluous

Looks like ass and animates like ass. David Productions churns out more expressive "animation" than that crossover.

fuck you cyborg 009 vs devilman was better animated than crybaby

at least its fights didn't suck ass, and sports the best devilman redesign to date.

>It's superfluous
>Of course a crossover is superfluous

Except it wasn't you motherfucking retards.

Cyborg 009 vs Devilman is the one of the few crossovers that have actual meaning behind the work given both nagai and ishinomori's past relationship. It's the only OVA that actually respects the source material of both series.

I won't let you fucking retards trash literally the best thing to come out of Devilman. Crybaby's only advantage is that it was the complete adaptation. Any director could have done it.

Compared to Crybaby, the ovas are a masterpiece.

I'm not disagreeing with it being respectful, but that by it's very nature crossovers are just for fun. You don't need to watch it even if you like both series. Crybaby was ass by the way.

It wasn't just for "fun". It was the long awaited Nagai - Ishinomori collaboration that couldn't happen because guess what, THE MAN FUCKING DIED IN 98.

That's nice for their legacies and all but it doesn't change anything from a narrative point of view and its not really a collab because he's dead Jim.

Cyborg 009 VS Devilman's fights did suck. They have no emotional resonance behind them. They try to do the tragic villain stuff that was present during the first part of Cyborg 009, which works to an extent for the high teen numbers, however they didn't even try for the demons. They're just there so they can have a reason for Akira and company to be there. It honestly feels like they didn't care for the Devilman characters in the context of the story so I have no reason to care for them either. Not to mention, that bullshit where Joe flies up into space and slams down on Atun is tasteless bullshit that has no regard for the source material.
Also the redesigns for the characters are terrible.The Devilman characters try to keep all of the visual quirks of Go Nagai's character designs but don't set up technical rules for the artists when drawing them. Main point being Ryo's hair. How the hell does that shit hanging off on the left work?

>They have no emotional resonance behind them
You're a retard. Emotional resonance has nothing to do with it. The fights in it were brutal, fun and creative, unlike every retarded fight in Crybaby with the exception of Sirene but that was taken from the manga and it was rushed anyway so who cares.

>They try to do the tragic villain stuff that was present during the first part of Cyborg 009, which works to an extent for the high teen numbers, however they didn't even try for the demons. They're just there so they can have a reason for Akira and company to be there.
It was a Cyborg 009 story foremost, even the staff said that given it's supposed to celebrate Ishinomori's career, not Nagai's. The show is called Cyborg 009 vs Devilman for a reason, not Devilman vs Cyborg 009. Still, it did plenty to tie the story to Cyborg 009's. Don't lie.

>that bullshit where Joe flies up into space and slams down on Atun is tasteless bullshit that has no regard for the source material.
What the fuck are you on? How is this tasteless bullshit? Are you retarded?

>Also the redesigns for the characters are terrible.
All better than Crybaby.

>Main point being Ryo's hair. How the hell does that shit hanging off on the left work?
You have no business in criticising Cyborg 009 vs Devilman given your "criticism" is borderline retarded. That's about as retarded as asking why Ryoma's scarf in Getter Robo defy gravity.

Seriously, kill yourself and fuck off Devilman forever.

You are autistic. Seek medical help immediately.

OVA is good for visuals and that's about it. It would make a better music video.

Hang yourself first.

Kill yourself too.

HOW ON EARTH HAVE YOU MANAGED TO UPLOAD A PIC?

>Also the redesigns for the characters are terrible.
Akira looks passable, but Ryo is an abomination. It's like he was constantly on sedatives. Not smug at all, just under the influence.

Far better than anything Crybaby could muster.

Stop violating Global Rule 6 in this thread.

fuck off pablo

(You)

Yuasa is a fucking hack. He ruined Devilman forever.

Cry more bitch tears. The anime fandom will forever remember Devilman in its Crybaby incarnation and there is nothing you can do about it.

Grow up. It's just another OVA, animation aside it's no better than Battle Royal High School or Bio Hunter.

I wonder why they even bothered with the Amon OVA in 2000. It was substandard and didn't even adapt the manga to the end. They changed seiyuu as well for whatever reason.

Don't feed the troll.

Yeah and all I can do is shit on crybaby fans forever.

Yet it's still better directed than Crybaby.

>It was substandard and didn't even adapt the manga to the end.
Amon OVA is the best thing to come out of Devilman. No other OVA captured the horror aspect of the series.

You have incredibly bad taste, dude.

Crybaby is Yuasa's ugliest show and I have no idea why people make excuses for it. None of the changes remotely improve the story and all the fights come down to Devilman ripping jaws open or punching once or twice.

>all the fights come down to Devilman ripping jaws open or punching once or twice.
Fucking this.

Cyborg 009 vs Devilman had a far more interesting choreography than Crybaby and it was only 3 episodes.

youtube.com/watch?v=BBquOkjAEhQ

I have never mentioned Crybaby. You're the only one talking about it. You're using the same angry mob mentality that Devilman condemns. Clearly you mustn't be that big of a fan of the original work if you're just gonna resort to bringing up Crybaby everytime someone says something you don't like about Devilman.
A good fight has emotion in it. If all you care about is a fight being brutal and fun, then you have set a very low bar for yourself. You're putting style over substance.
What did it do to tie the story to Cyborg 009 in a compelling way? It felt very bare bones and basic. Also, the fact that you use the fact that Cyborg 009's name comes first in the title to justify the inequality of the properties in the crossover is just childish. I can imagine a kindergardener coming up with that stuff.
The reason why Joe's attack was tasteless to the source material is because if Joe can jump up into space whenever he wants, and can still come back down without killing himself, it shits all over the ending of the Underground Empire of Yomi/Hades arc. Have you even read the manga?

Please grow up. Clearly you're a child if all you want are brutal fights, and your boogieman logic and constant cursing doesn't help. I bet your parents weren't even born when Devilman came out.

>Amon OVA is the best thing to come out of Devilman
You have some garbage taste, but what is worse, you are not self-aware of it.

>captured the horror aspect
Yeah, no. It was rather mild and 'shounen-ish'. The violence was supposed to be over-the-top, crazy and shocking, but in Amon it just feels subdued.

>Cyborg 009 VS Devilman
>They only fight once
>Ends in a tie
I was 99% sure that it was going to turn out to be "they must join forces to defeat a greater evil" but I still hoped for something else.

Why do you guys bring up crybaby when talking about other Devilman stuff? that's like saying that shit is good because its still better than vomit

Yeah, like some more time dedicated to them DOING stuff instead of analysing data and wondering what's going on.

>A good fight has emotion in it.
You're a fucking retard if you think emotion is necessary in a good fight. It doesn't matter how much Akira cries when he punched Jinmen. His fight was garbo and I won't sit here while you pretend any of the choreography is good just because he shed a tear. Fucking faggot.

>What did it do to tie the story to Cyborg 009 in a compelling way? It felt very bare bones and basic.
Rewatch the series again you fucking retard. Did you miss the part about cybernetic demons?

>Also, the fact that you use the fact that Cyborg 009's name comes first in the title to justify the inequality of the properties in the crossover is just childish. I can imagine a kindergardener coming up with that stuff.
You're a gigantic retard. Of course they're gonna feature Ishinomori's shit more, given it was his anniversary.

>The reason why Joe's attack was tasteless to the source material is because if Joe can jump up into space whenever he wants, and can still come back down without killing himself, it shits all over the ending of the Underground Empire of Yomi/Hades arc. Have you even read the manga?
Yes I did and you're an even more autistic retard than I thought. Creative liberties can be taken and it looks cool. You're the only person who actually cares about physics in a fucking Cyborg 009 manga.

>all you want are brutal fights,
You think people feeling emotional make it a good fight. What the fuck is boxing? What the fuck is MMA? Grow the fuck up. People enjoy the technical aspects of it and the more brutal, the more exhilarating it can be. That's what a fight is all about you dumb shit.

Literally kill yourself. You're an embarrassment to the human race.

kill yourself pablo, you subhuman scum have no room to talk with such shit taste. You might as well hang yourself.

Enjoy your ban.

can't believe you got offended over something like this, waste of human breath

Why so aggressive? did you miss the message of Devilman about chilling the fuck out?
Enjoy your demonic possession, asshole.

Fuck you faggot. I hope your family dies of cancer.

There's a difference between boxing, MMA, and stuff like Devilman and Cyborg 009. Boxing and MMA are in the real world, and I'm unsure if you're even living in it, bud. Devilman and Cyborg 009 are stories, fictional ones at that. They were made with the intent of sending messages and emotions. Go Nagai didn't want to just make something brutal. He wanted to tell a story about that brutality and why it happens. Ishinomori made Cyborg 009 to show is disdain for war and violence, not just to make a manga about war and violence, and that's the point you're missing. Stories can be more than just cool action and fights. Go watch a capeshit flick if you want that, but that's not what I want. Also, quit bringing up Crybaby. I never brought it up in the first place and it makes your reading comprehension seem like shit.

I bet you would be part of the mangry mob that killed Miki

>There's a difference between boxing, MMA, and stuff like Devilman and Cyborg 009. Boxing and MMA are in the real world,
That's not a difference. They're both entertainment and I expect storyboarders to map out a good fight for my eyes to enjoy just as I expect a boxer to fight good or give me back my fucking money.

>They were made with the intent of sending messages and emotions
Yeah but not in fights. Only faggots do that.

Also stop rambling about nothing, I don't give a shit about what you think your special brand of entertainment is for. Your criticism of Cyborg 009 vs Devilman was fucking trash and you're trash too.

>Yeah but not in fights. Only faggots do that.
Well it's a good thing that the main antagonist of Devilman is a faggot then!

i meant faggot, not gay you piece of shit

>faggot being butthurt

I bet you're enjoying it.

Exactly my thoughts about OVAs

technically not a man and the antagonist is actually god.

kill yourself carlos

God isn't really that big of an antagonist in the original story, though. It's not until Devilman Lady where that becomes clear.

Mans stupidity and paranoia were the true villains of Devilman.

but he's still responsible for satan and all the fuckery that happens

It's very shallow to pick just one true villian for Devilman. Practically everyone was in the wrong. Humans were ignorant and paranoid, the demons are hypocrites, and God was a dick.

My thoughts as well. I mean, not completely, you kinda make it sound worse than it is, but I also thought the OVAs were too, for lack of a better word, soft and clean for the source material. Devilman even has a cheesy theme song, he's a brutal creature that rips demons apart but the soundtrack doesn't reflect that at all, it could perfectly fit as the music for a Dragon Ball fight. It's a reflection of the time they were made in obviously, as you said, hence why these issues didn't bother me that much. So yeah, excellent animation and all, but I wouldn't call them the best anything

youtube.com/watch?v=Qayq4esPWEg
So bad its good

because it wasn´t made by yuasa

yuasafag, jut KYS