What made Dragonball work

What actually went into it and why did GT, Super, and the white-slavery-supporting Evolution movie fail at it so hard? So many people think it was just comedy with action and others think sweaty buff men constantly touching each other and making grunting noises was the true reason for everything working.

If you had to distill the true meaning of Dragonball down to a cold, corporate list, what would it be?

I think #1 is "laziness" because I don't think Toriyama ever once put in an iota of effort like the squinty-eyed wop dago wannabe he is, and it just worked because who gives a shit. In fact, didn't the entire series start virtually on a whim at the last minute when he needed a new series in order to exploit the labor of his proletarian editors?

That might also be why Toyotaro doesn't capture the feel of Dragonball well. It feels too methodical, like he planned to use certain aspects way ahead of time. Result is a 5-line weak madlibs plot because of the misconception that "shitty story = more like Toriyama" but there's a difference between telling a shitty story because you're far beyond too lazy to tell one so you wing it and telling a shitty story because it's expected and fits the "feel" of the series.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/dragongarowlee
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Hey look im romaine

Love and Passion. Toriyama loved his work, he put all his love into it and you could see it. His style was amazing and even though DB/Z looks very shallow on the first sight, it has an actual deepness into it. (Think of Vegetas change from a villain to a father figure)

If I look at DBS now I just feel shame. SSB just doesn't work, the blue hair just looks retarded and out of place. He literally fucked his plot with the Gods n Angels bullshit. With the introduction of the Super Saiyajin a race started, everyone knew that SSJ was the next step. And who wasn't hyped as fuck when we saw Future Trunks turning in a SSJ out of nowhere. I remember to this date how shocked I was. (And around that time it wasn't obvious that he was Vegetas son from the future) Same with how Vegeta trained hard to turn SSJ or how Gohan went SSJ for the first time and also the first to even overpower the levels of a normal SSJ. I could write romans about how much DBS fucked up. I mean there are some random ass Saiyajins from another dimension who just get told "dude focus on that cribbling on your neck" and turn into SSJ3. Makes me go insane.
Also IMO the new style just doesn't fit DBZ. It looks weird, maybe it is just because I grew up with the "outdated" DBZ.

tl;dr the new DBS is shit and Toriyama went full sell out

As with almost any show, it was the talent they got to make it. The team that worked on DB and Z were replaced with a new team for GT. The same reason the Sailor Moon Crystal reboot sucked, because the people who made the original show didn't return.

It could also be that the studio didn't care about making a quality show, giving it less funding or rushing it. And clearly Akira Toriyama didn't care about it after Z. But I'm still leaning on the idea that it was a change in the people working on the show. Because I know the team did change.

The reason why was because Saint Saiya was what helped create the change he wanted for the series dynamic since the author's previous works were what initially inspired him to create the series and when Saint Saiya ran, the series went on a time skip. Do you kind of have to wonder, it's not a coincidence. Used same guys new model to use towards his series dynamic and keep pushing from there. Simple, the end. All manga authors do the same. Jojo, Hilary no go, yugioh, death note, Bakuman, assassination classroom, Gintama, fist of the North Star, Otoko Ippiki, ring no kakeru, and from there on, it all built up from there.

>In fact, didn't the entire series start virtually on a whim at the last minute when he needed a new series in order to exploit the labor of his proletarian editors?
No, Dragon Ball was in the works months before Dr. Slump ended, he released Dragon Ball in December of 1984 and Dr. Slump ended in September of 1984, that's fucking nuts.

People have the right to call Toriyama a hack now days, but back in the day he was the GOAT, the art, the fighting choreography, the stories where simple and fun, he was great.

Nothing. It was terrible. The entirety of the Dragonball saga is awful.

The lack of blood and actual damage feedback made everything look pretty lame in Super.
Even GT did this right, when in super everything looks like plastic and you only can tell if someone is hurt if they spell out for you. Even with the threat of being erased, stakes seems low as ever.

This was the best. As it should be.

Keep it simple stupid. I can see why and how Toriyama ruled in the 80's with his art work.

That's not Toriyama that's twitter.com/dragongarowlee

It was simple and well thought out.
He understood his world and characters and kept them all neat.
This simplicity, very human and understandable stuff, and strict internal logic combined with finding that winning formula made it into a powerhouse.

Right now we have a bunch of tards who're so fucking desperate to be deep like the rest of the losers combined with honestly not giving a fuck overall.
It's just painful.

That bottom right panel looks like this.

Image references lol

It looked cool and was fun, after z it didn't feel like there was more to know about these characters or this world, since it was a cash cow they couldn't go super crazy with it so it was just boring. The characters and the fighting was exciting, the world wasn't as much so. I think I'm on to something here but I dunno

i think bulma helped out since she was constantly being fondled.

Wow, Chichi was top qt

Too bad Toriyama hated drawing her. And she was a yandere.

I liked it because of Powerlevels, techniques and aliens, and I don't care if you guys don't like it. Fuck you.

Ocean dub Saiyan and Freeza saga was the greatest portion of all the shows combined.

The Tree of Might is best movie.

Because stuff had consequences.
He started to restrict the dragonballs power so when Goku died again, he was gone for good.
Even in the Buu saga he only got one day which is the reason why he had to train Goten and Trunks.
Characters were still characters and weren't flanderized.
SSB is just SSJ with a different color.

>let's bring Frieza back because he was popuar
>let's make it so that Frieza (this really popular character tha was surpassed long ago) is just a bitch of this guy who was sleeping all this time lol

Super has some good ideas but it fails to make use of them. It could have some redeeming qualities by itself but as it is now, it's the fans who make it enjoyable by making fun of Super.
Super is like a fanfic