Cultural barrier

>finish watching Dragon Maid
>enjoyed it
>decide to google "chorogon"
>find blog with translation notes
>realize how much japanese references, dialogue and visuals flew over my head in translation
>not just for this series but in general
Why even bother watching if I'm such a clueless weeb? It's clearly not meant for me. I'd have a better time understanding mbuti pygmy jokes.
And even if I spend 20 years watching animu and become loremaster of all the japanese regional stereotypes and slang, will it have been worth it? There's so many better things to do.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tKep7KzAfhc
youtube.com/watch?v=_PxgaGCGv7E
youtube.com/watch?v=RHVVeTdMr-k
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>enjoyed Dragon Maid without understanding anything at all
You watched an entirely different show than everyone else, just go back to simpler stuff.

Here's the blog by the way. It's interesting.
tl-notes.tumblr.com
Well, I liked the characters, especially Kobayashi.

It depends on what the subs you were watching said instead of chorogon. Blame the subbers and not the anime.

read manga till you get the hang of those references?

so what you are trying to say is that you are a filthy pleb

...yes.

die ellipsesnorm

if you enjoyed it you enjoyed it. you don't have to prove yourself to anyone.

Dragon maid has nothing on Joshiraku when it comes to references, dialogue, humor, puns, etc. that didn't translate well.

If I remember right back when it released gg had some stuff on their site that went through each episode and kinda of explained stuff in more detail than tl notes ever could.

That sounds like a slippery slope to TL notes making a comeback.

>hurdurr if I do more research I understand references more
This shit isn't unique to anime so just lurk moar and learn shit if you want to be a conoisseur in [media of choice].

whats wrong with TL notes?

can we resolve in 2018 to never again use "Greentext Story" as a way to broach a particular subject matter.
its day is long over.

shrekwalls are a great way to identify threads that are not worth reading

But if you enjoyed it anyways, even without all those references, does it even fucking matter?

After all every single anime ever refers to cultural tropes and expectations no one outside of Japan will casually understand, even if it has a western setting or intended audience. Hell, the very nature of translating means shit's going to get lost as it's changed into English. But that doesn't stop people outside of Japan from enjoying anime, so don't let it stop you.

unironically watch/read more weeb shit unless you plan to seriously study japanese and japanese culture (in that case do the opposite because the most helpful people also hate weebs the most). A lot of the things listed in the site you linked is pretty basic stuff and you'll start picking up on its sheer repitition due to the japanese tendency to regurgitate the most mundane bullshit. Sure, you might never understand things like puns that actually require learning the language, but you'll end up picking up easy terminology like LDK and rabu hoteru, understand they're referencing certain folklore/cultural stuff for the millionth time, and find yourself also bored when bored characters play another shitty game of shiritori to cure said bordem.
This. The only thing that ultimately decides worth and enjoyment for yourself is yourself. Anyone else can fuck off. Also please fuck off yourself with the greentext garbage

In theory, nothing. In practice, either one of two things happens. Either they show up too often because the subber relies on them too much rather than translating something within the script that works, or they become huge and distracting. Sometimes they're also wrong as hell and / or troll bait, but that's usually minor.

You just said you enjoyed it without catching the references. What's the issue?

Like most things in life, you just need to give it time and a little bit of effort. You questioned what was meant by "chorogon" and researched it more. Just keep doing that with shows you watch. If a joke goes over your head or a translation seems weird, start looking it up. Before you know it you'll have learned quite a bit about Japanese culture, humor, and language.

So..
...CHU CHU YEAH

Just stop watching anime that make self referencing otaku jokes. Really fucking easy solution.

finally a sane person ITT

I THINK KOBAYASHI IS THE BEST GIRL DESU RAWR

Its an unspoken rule on Sup Forums at least. Its a good way to identify crossboarders.

That's better than replacing the joke with memes.

Might as well tell him to stop watching anime altogether.

Just stop watching seasonal anime

So only OVAs and movies, then?

I have enjoyed many a thing that I did not at first understand. You can read Shakespeare and not get most of his then-relevant references; that doesn't make it not great or not enjoyable.

Same with anime. Look at the Monogatari series is; half of is puns related to kanji, or obscure Japanese legends... but it's still enjoyable and popular worldwide, even though the wordplay is over all our heads.

Can we please talk about how underrated the entire soundtrack was?

Let's ishukan communication, user

you wouldn't understand

You're my favourite tubby little lizard shitposter, Tohru.

And now I know.
Now nobody will know I'm a newfag crossboarder.

The "sad" theme that plays during Fafnir's monologue about the humans being hits or misses really got me emotional for a bit.

youtube.com/watch?v=tKep7KzAfhc

You guys are fags.

I first realized how utterly incompatible Japanese can be with English reading the Record of Lodoss War 4koma series in high school.

I don't know how many here may have read it, but good /GOD/ is it the most pun-filled thing I ever did come across. Japanese puns, requiring extensive TL-Notes throughout just to explain them. By the time I was done the whole book I'd come to understand just how built for exploitation the Japanese language is, in a way that English can never hope to replicate.

>smash together words for easy and dragon
>omg muh super subtle pun

youtube.com/watch?v=_PxgaGCGv7E

youtube.com/watch?v=RHVVeTdMr-k

This, but unironically

just learn Japanese, you can be watching raws in a year

>in a year
Don't lie to people user

I learned Japanese just from anime and raws are the only thing I watch now.

>I learned Japanese just from anime and raws are the only thing I watch now.

horriblesubs, right?

it takes like 5 years to reach fluency but if you just want to watch raws it honestly doesn't take that long

Any idea which track on the OST that was? I can't remember, but there are several tracks on there that have that effect.