Is this show really worth watching? 5 episodes in and i dont find my self caring for the characters or situations...

is this show really worth watching? 5 episodes in and i dont find my self caring for the characters or situations. it seems to be a really blandly produced story and i heard it was really epic so i had to check it out.

I wasn't expecting it to be like the cliche epics ala attack on titan, but i was hoping for something a little more exciting. i really appreciate how they can stretch out a dollar using beautiful stills but I really struggle to get through another episode. Then I learned that the finale is super divisive and is considered a non-ending by a large amount of people and those who disagree say its because its super layered.

I heard mumblings of a crazy twist but with the finale being so unsure, is that true?

I also heard it might be better if I just watch the three animated movies instead of the show, but can someone please clarify to me the best way to watch this show if its worth watching at all?

was kinda expecting a magical madoka of the mecha genre from the way people described it.

GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT
Shinji is you, and getting in the robot is going outside and having a life

i have a life. a pretty active one, sans current personal tragedy.

The directing

>was kinda expecting a magical madoka of the mecha genre from the way people described it
Troll thread. Move on.

the directing is nice, but I prefer cohesive story telling. good direction isnt enough for me to dedicate my spare time too at the moment.

>troll thread

people described it as a deconstruction of the mecha genre with a twist. thats how they describe madoka as well.

Wait until Episode 8(asuka) it picks up from there

so series, not movie?

>Evangelion
>Deconstruction
Ignoring the fact that deconstruction does not mean what you think it means, Evangelion did nothing new in the mecha genre. It's actually an exceedingly generic mecha anime.

Is deconstruction like blowing up a house and building a new one in its place?

After Episode 26 watch End Of Evangelion. Death & Rebirth isn't important at all, if you're up for it. Watch the three rebuilds.

the rebuilds?

The three movies that are kind of like an alternate take on the whole series, if you're still hankering for Eva after EoE that is.

>but I prefer cohesive story telling
Every time I read this my mind automatically translates it to "I require exposition dumps"

But if you don't give a fuck about the characters at all there's probably no point it watching further for you

dropped it after ep 7. it looks like complete different show after that and lost all its seriousness

It's just lulling you in a false sense of security until ep 14 or so. If you liked the beginning and want more 'seriousness' you should try finishing it.

He's right though. Evangelion has only the vaguest barebones of a story. Basically nothing is ever explained, just stated. i.e.
>we put souls into the eva
A watcher would probably ask: how the hell? The series never makes any attempt to explain such a fantastical plot point. Evangelion is full of shit like this.

Neither Madoka or Eva are deconstructions.

>Evas are alive
>too much synchro rate merges you with it
>what happened to Yui is shown as an example

Uhm... there is still no detailed description on how souls are put into Evas, sweetie. They could have spent at least an episode on explaining that!

If the first five episodes didn’t grab you, spare yourself.
I thought it was great. Until the end. Both endings were lame

>A watcher would probably ask: how the hell?
Only an aurist would feel the need to ask that since no matter the explanation it would be sci-fi bullshit irrelevant to to the actual story of eva, the story which most of the retards ITT equate with the plot.

That's just a statement of what happened. Evangelion is a contemporary setting but suddenly there's magic and no one admits it ever and they instead act like it's science and the crazy magic they call pull off (like soul manipulation) has no other application in the plot despite being monumental technology.

It's not that hard to understand. You can simply watch the show, after that you watch End of Evangelion. End of Evangelion is the "end" of Evangelion. The others movies "You can (not) something)" are just rebuilds.

I know that Eva can get really boring sometimes but in the end you'll be gratefull if you have not dropped the anime.Hold on a little bit, you'll no regret. Eva is a piece of art, in my opinion the best anime ever made. You'll certainly don't understand the 25 and 26 episodes, but the film will "explain" a little bit.

Also, sorry for my bad english

Bait. Bad bait.

I bet you loved the midi-chlorian explanation of the force too because that's exactly what you want for Eva too.

So? Souls are supernatural by definition, beyond any rationale explanation

are they better or worse or more condensed or?

>exposition dumps

not really, just cohesion. each episode seems to end on not even an emotional cliffhanger but rather just an emotional midpoint. we see some sort of emotional concept being developed but instead of seeing it through it just seems to get dropped. I'm not saying that characters need to end an episode with a soliloquy but story telling is not 'off' or 'on'. just because i dont like the bland vagueness that the show is often criticized for doens't mean I need everything spelled out for me either.

most of the characters seem virtually non-existent at episode 5. only the main character seems to be relevant so far, and i can definitely sympathize with his struggle, but the background that put him into this situation seems almost non existent so its hard to do more than just sympathize for me. in promos and avatars i see all these interesting looking pilots and characters but they seem to only make cameos thus far.

interesting, how so?

seems like it zigzags. this interests me.

I'm a firm believer that plot and story have a symbiotic relationship. to wash over the unexplained and say 'its not not relevant to the story' is like saying 'its not about the ending its about the journey'. journeys are invalidated without a point.

if the plot is unrelated to the story then the writer needs to reconsider his career. its the most basic rule of storytelling. otherwise you just get 'suckerpunch'. the writers thought they were deep, but you can't be deep without a surface to dive under.

not saying that eva is this or that, like I Said only 5 episodes in and my issue is less of that and more of the blandness and emotional cut offs in the story.

im actually not too concerned about not understanding the ending the more I hear about it. I love a puzzle, and it does seem to have some sort of finale from the little tidbit i sneaked. my issue was that people claimed it was a non ending with things left unresolved but from the broad premise i read of the finale it seems like they get climactic at the very least.

guess the movies there if I disagree in the end.

I miss the scenes where they go to toilet to take a dump. Any story is unrealistic without it.

Rei's dub voice is sexy.

The ending of the show is more of a thematic ending than an actual ending for the show, which is the movie.
They both have some of the most iconic scenes in anime in general and the movie has an absolute marvel of a fight.

It gains more momentum from 8episode, when new major character appears. But what you really wait for, deconstruction, starts from 14th episode, second half to be exact. From then on, switch in atmosphere is almost touchable IRL.

>Congratulations

this does make me curious. what i read of the finale really did sound climactic to the overall plot though. i know more happens beyond the beginning of the episode but idk it sounded like it wrapped up the plot stuff, and if you're saying it wrapped up moreso thematically I Can't imagine being disappointed. I'm home sick for two days so i guess ill keep watching.

I'll stick it out then. general consensus seems to be anime is better than the movies, which i was surprised at cuz i thought the movies woulda cut out the bullshit. I'll check it out though.

Watch the 26 episodes then the End of Evangelion. Death and Rebirth are just recap movies that aren't worth it compared to the anime. Rebuild consists of 4 movies , the first one was similar to the anime, the second changes lots of stuff and third one is completely different from the anime. The fourth one is coming soon. Imo the Rebuilds are shit, specially 3.0, but some evafags like it and are eager for 4.0.
TLDR just the anime and EoE are great
t. evafag

Having a well established plotline does not mean exposition dumps. The plotline of Evangelion was obviously made up as it went along. There was no foreshadowing to the various magical deus ex machina events that would occur to randomly spur on the plot. I mean, the majority of the plot is them literally waiting in a city for monsters to attack. You say Evangelion is a deconstruction, but it plays by the book to the letter. The inclusion of character drama and mature themes were not new or rare to mecha in 1997 and in fact the story is very much modeled after some of the most popular mecha/sci-fi of the 60's, 70's and 80's (Anno's own childhood, adolescence and early adulthood).

>but instead of seeing it through it just seems to get dropped
They don't get dropped. They just get put on-hold for later with some hints every now and then that it's still there.

>most of the characters seem virtually non-existent at episode 5. only the main character seems to be relevant so far, and i can definitely sympathize with his struggle, but the background that put him into this situation seems almost non existent so its hard to do more than just sympathize for me. in promos and avatars i see all these interesting looking pilots and characters but they seem to only make cameos thus far.

The series does get a bit monster-of the week-y for several episodes and one of the main characters is not introduced until ep 8 or 9. Also for all characters the backgrounds are revealed gradually and never in the very beginning(mostly in the second half) so you just kind of watch them act a certain way and may wonder why but bit by bit you start going 'oh I see'

>5 episodes in and i dont find my self caring for the characters or situations
Sociopath confirmed

that seems to be how most shows are run, i mean only a trainwreck like suicide squad reveals all in the first five minutes. this one in particular just didnt seem to give me anything to latch on to other than purely ex positional stuff like 'i dont like my dad'.

I'll wait it out though. buffy didnt get good til halfway through season 2 so i can see this through.

I thought the same way at the start and I honestly didn't enjoy the show all that much. The movie was amazing though, which made it all worth it for me. The show without the film is just decent in my opinion.

with some personal tragedies in my life i find it hard to dedicate my time to something long term. even 24 episodes seems like so much right now. but if its really worth it il lsee it through

>I'm a firm believer that plot and story have a symbiotic relationship
Have we watched the same show? The plot of eva definitely isn't irrelevant to its story. Rather its your complaint and the example you provided that are irrelevant to the story and the plot.

Well it's up to you, considering you're situation you could always put it on hold and watch something else until you have enough time to feel like you'd be okay with watching it (even if you don't get much out of it I mean). I really liked the film and it made the package of show + film worth it but that's just my opinion so don't rely too much on what I'm saying in your decision.

>considering you're situation
your*

I'm retarded sometimes

If you don't like the first 5 you won't like the rest. Guaranteed.

Not sure what's this arguing about plots and stories from OP when he's only seen 15% of it. Just marathon it if you are impatient - it's not like it's currently airing and you have to wait for a week foe episodes and taking a risk whether a show will have a plot or not. It's already been watched by many and a lot will agree that there is a relatively cohesive plot out there so there's not much risk in that regard.

It's worth watching to see the unique directing style and the way the story develops. But as for the characters mecha fighting and etc, they aren't really that memorable. At least to me.

that’s the last intro one, watch it it’s def worth it. I cried at the later episodes.

Really? I hated the first couple ones but cried at the later episodes.

Of course some people won't like the show. But I think it is a show everyone needs to experience at some point. It is a huge title in the anime industry and for good reason: its characters go through trauma and their personalities reflect that. Asuka is not bitchy for the sake of it but because she has some issues of her own that make it hard for her to be nice. Shinji is a "pussy" but thats because he is human, no one wants to have the burden of the world on their shoulders especially if the process is stressful.

Basically it is a prime example of human characters and it uses (sometimes accidental) great directorship to convey some meaningful moments which sacrifices clarity on some setting details

hey guys,teaser from 4.0 was just released

anyone who uses the term deconstruction is a fucking retard

You're right user, the rebuilds ARE shit.
Even the small stuff like Changing asukas name is just retarded

Just stick with the series user, it's a great show and after watching the 26 episodes watch the movie (end of Evangelion) dont bother with the rebuilds, they end up changing lots of shit that make them un watchable

Isn't Newsuka pretty much a different person though?

Watch all of NGE and do not worry too much about the plot. Keep in mind episode 25 and 26 are quite metaphorical and abstract, in a sense.

Then watch End of Evangelion. They explain what happened in episodes 25 and 26 in a more complete and exhausting way. (Some people have different opinions on EoE vs NGE's 25+26, but watch both).

Then, skip Death&Rebuild and watch the 3 Rebuilds.

NGE is unironically a masterpiece, but it's a complex, philosophical, ambiguous and cryptic work. It's widely acclaimed as a wonderful product because of a variety of reasons I don't really want to spend my whole night explaining.

Just watch it all and you will find out yourself, provided you keep your mind open and can understand its subtleties.

>people described it as a deconstruction of the mecha genre with a twist.
Anyone who describes it that way is a god awful idiot.

Nobody gives a fuck, user. You can't ask people if something is worth your time, to your standards, in your specific circumstances. Do people say it's good? Generally, they do, right? That's your answer. If you're not enjoying it and if you're not invested in it, don't watch it. Strangers can't reasonably be expected to tell you how to spend your unique time.
Evangelion has meant a lot to a lot of people, for various reasons. But basically every answer you've given in this thread has indicated that, no, you don't think it's worth your time.

Basically, that's what's so annoying. Instead of using the character that people liked and was well developed they just fucked it over, they even replaced the entire episode on over the rainbow when they go to pick up unit 2 with some fancy acrobatics display. It's just shit

Why does it make me so sick that newfags like OP have only gotten around to watching Eva now? Is it that they've watched Attack on Titan and the likes while ignoring worthwhile anime? Or that OP is considering watching Rebuilds over the show? Or that OP makes a thread asking asinine questions and to be spoonfed but doesn't have the decency to even properly capitalize sentences?

The fact that the rebuilds even exist is a disgrace

The first three or so episodes were Shinji throws a fit are legitimately pretty bad. It picks up from there, and even more so once Asuka shows up.

really? i felt the answers indicated that it very well may be since i keep insisting I'll keep going. i know people can't plug into my personal situation but threads like this give insight into what its highss and lows are without spoiling the major plot points for me and get a better understanding of why people like it so I can better define how I will feel about it. the thread seemed to help me a lot and had mostly healthy non mean discussion.

its probably that you're a pretentious cunt who needs to tone down his cartoon obsession.

probably.

wierd i liked the earlier episodes the most

>Someone I know prefers Rebuilds over the show

People like this ACTUALLY exist

People are lazy, OP is lazy.

You can see how people is lazy when you see a thread like:
>"I have watched 5 episodes of this and I din't like. Should I keep wathing?"

People are soo lazy they can't figure what they should do, it is easier to ask on internet.

Yeah I guess if you didn't care for the Sachiel battle on episode 2, then it's not for you.
You have shit taste though.

Honestly, I didn't start to fall in love with the show until much later on in the series. After they dropped the monster-of-the-week shtick and each episode started playing out more like a short film. Despite that, I do regard the show as exposition for EoE, which is simultaneously a masterpiece and a massive piece of shit.

>is this show really worth watching? 5 episodes in and i dont find my self caring for the characters or situations. it seems to be a really blandly produced story and i heard it was really epic so i had to check it out.
Leave Sup Forums.

>it seems to be a really blandly produced story
What are you, a fucking pl-
>was kinda expecting a magical madoka of the mecha genre from the way people described it.

I felt in love at episode 09.
In fact, episode 09 was my first Evagelion episode, while 19 was the last one, and then the movie "End of Evangelion".

Watch darling in the franxx, it is the eva of anime but better because it's made by trigger. It also has lots of deep symbolisms.

This. The direction was cool, but things pick up strength by episode 15-18.
I loved it, but i was just watching it because everyone recommends it for the first ~12 episodes.
And paradoxically, after watching it all, I can't complain about the pacing of the first few episodes. Its a necessary setup. It all pay off

After seeing some pictures of stills from the show in a different thread and the sheer beauty of the work, I can't help but feel sad.

The show itself is great, but 20+ years of waifufaggotry (I'd be lying if I said I wasn't part of the problem), over analyzing everything, shitposting,etc has all that is really tarnished the show.
Only we are to blame for the rebuilds existing because Anno just broke and decided to cash in.
It would be interesting to watch Eva with having no prior experience to any anime, the reputation of the show, or Sup Forums at all and see what people would think just from sitting and watching the show for what it is instead of what it's become.

I don't know how you could. The show is consistent throughout.

If he wants to compare it to Madoka, then I'd say it's impossible to understand the fervent adoration both series get without watching it all plus the film.

>20+ years of waifufaggotry (I'd be lying if I said I wasn't part of the problem), over analyzing everything, shitposting,etc has all that is really tarnished the show

No it hasn't. This line of thinking makes no sense. The show is just as good as it was back then. What you seem to be talking about is the community.

Most people that haven't seen it are probably going to hear about it somewhere, either it's the greatest thing ever or its le boring shit from some place like reddit or Sup Forums. The show is still good by itself, yes but if someone goes into the show with the
>le asuka or rei is best girl and the other is shit
really is a detriment because it causes the person to automatically care less about one of the characters due to just outside faggotry.
I was like that with Asuka when I first watched it and it I never really paid attention to Rei or her development during those first few episodes due to
>xddd rei is boring when is le best girl showing up
By coming here and talking about it before he has even watched the show (assuming OP isn't just b8, which it is), then he has already got notions in his head about the show that aren't going to go away.

Watch the movies then, rebuild one and two, you're gonna like it. At this point you can pretend things ended, like i pretend berserk ended like the old anime at the eclipse or you can watch the next movie and forever wait for the fourth.

I dont think overanalyzing is a bad thing. The characters are well written, and very relatable, as they are strongly based on real life sides of depression.
There is, however, a condition: It is ok AS LONG AS people analyzing it can accept a few things:
>The show was purposely made ambiguous in several moments, and invites the viewer to make his own conclusions.
>Even though the characters are well written, they arent perfect, and some weird things show up here and there.

Eva has magic from the begining, it's never super techy shit, in fact they are really alpha beta prototype shits. The whole setting Is Magic angels, days of reckoning and Cyborg angelrobots.

user, you're going to be disappointed, Eva is the "abstract art" of anime, people say that like it because other people like it, it's not particularly interesting, everyone has just gotten so used to applying their own brand of psuedo-symbolism. if you are looking for an enjoyable or well-made story, evangelion is not the right tree to be barking up

I'm not too concerned about the opinions of those who are that easily influenced.

Magitek is a thing.
Technology derivative from magic. We dont really need an explanation.

>A watcher would probably ask: how the hell?
That's such an absolutely unnecessary point I'm not surprised you don't like it. You literally just want to be fed infodumps and stupid sci-fi wank.

No foreshadowing? How about Unit 1 reaching for Shinji before he even sees it for the first time? Look in the background as they ride the escalator towards its room.