Has it aged well? How do you think it compares next to current generation romantic comedy?

Has it aged well? How do you think it compares next to current generation romantic comedy?

Other urls found in this thread:

newgrounds.com/portal/view/144166
youtube.com/watch?v=8v27XcJw2ws
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Has it aged well?
Probably not
>How do you think it compares next to current generation romantic comedy?
It's influence is noticeable. That said, I still enjoy it and think it's as good as similar modern ones. It was one of the first series & mangas I ever delved into, so I'm probably biased by nostalgia.

The anime has always been horrible from the start.

The manga is much better, but it starts great and gets progressively worse.
It was all fine and dandy when the plot revolved about them trying to get into Tokyo University but then it all went to shit after they get in and bullshit stuff starts happening.

I thought it was shit in the first place. Who the fuck ends a harem series with a wedding that causes nobody to fucking give up? Fuck that shit. I could have at least respected the mutsumi naru 3some ending they were originally going for, even if it involved naru. At least that shit would be a commitment. Nonendings are a fucking cop out of shitty harem writers.

>inb4 that's redundant

I dropped it, it just wasn't interesting

>3some ending they were originally going for
wat

This.
The Anime is fucking garbage. But for many it still holds a soft spot because it was their first Anime or whatever. Same for me. I fucking love but objectively it blows.

Oh god no. It fucking inspired all the horrible tropes that I hate and seeing the progenitor just makes it even more awful.

Even nostalgia won't make me think fondly of the series.

I don't remember where I read it, but Love Hina was originally going to end with the bisexual Mutsumi triggering a 3some end.

>It fucking inspired all the horrible tropes that I hate and seeing the progenitor just makes it even more awful.
Absolutely this.

Can we all just agree that Tenchi archetype harems>Love Hina archetype harems?

Yeah, tenchi is superior to love hina in almost every way

I prefer the Saber Marionette J and the Vandreads honestly.

Agreed

That would be an even worse ending.

Urashima Keitaro was, is and always will be one of the very worst MCs ever created and a scourge on the harem genre
Narusegawa a shit as well
the other girls were alright

>Saber Marionette J
Wasn't there supposed to be a new series announced for this?

>That would be an even worse ending.
>a committed 3some is somehow worse than a meaningless wedding followed by a slut parade
Wat?

We can all agree on who was best girl, right?

So let's be honest. Who played the Love Hina
Sim Date RPG flash in newgrounds? STR > everything

you are 100% wrong.

Keitaro starts out as a worthless nerd whose only goal is to get a girl friend.
Over the series he develops useful skills and experiences, and eventually finds interests and goals outside of women.
He's actually the best harem MC ever.

Motoko was best girl though.

>Vandreads
Why would you want 3 extra cocks in your harem?

>3
Wasn't there only one? And it was the brown chick? God it's been so long that all I remember is that Blue was best girl.

what exactly is the difference between the two?

Yep. The color in your pic seems off though.

You best be shitting me.

There were 2 males on the ship along with the MC and the shemale. IIRC one worked in the medbay. Remember, 3 guys get captured in the beginning?

>Every girl is worst girl
>Literally one joke

Couldn't stand it then and it's even worse now that RomComs have FINALLY stopped ripping it off and started using a joke that isn't HILARIOUS MISUNDERSTANDING == BEATING.

I say this completely unironically, but if you want something like Love Hina, you should just read Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Spring. It's basically what Love Hina would be if it was actually good.

Yuuna == Naru, except she actually grows and changes rather than being 100% static
Sagiri == Mokoto, but not a psycho
Chitose == Shinobu, except not defined only by a childish crush
Yaya == Koala

Hilarious misunderstandings basically change from BEATINGS to FANSERVICE as the series progresses, which is an improvement, considering they're all meant to actually like the guy.

If your harem stars a bratty tsundere and either worst girl wins or it's a nonending, you're dealing with a love hina harem.

If everyone ends up pregnant it was a tenchi harem.

>Can we all just agree that Tenchi archetype harems>Love Hina archetype harems?

I wish so much the Tenchi archetype would have caught on. Then we wouldn't have had to wait for the rise of the isekai before we'd see harem series that actually had the balls to include a goddamn harem.

>An actually interesting/unique ending is worse than fucking nothing

Huh

There were tenchi harems here and there in the meantime. They were just less common. It's like for every 5 harems, 3 were Love Hina, 1 was Tenchi, and 1 was something random like Ranma.

And then Infinite Stratos happened and we got sent back to the drawing board for a few more years.

>An actual ending is worse than fucking nothing
Fix'd*

You still have a point, mind.

I remember going to the college the first third of the game to be overpowered.

You didn't cheat?

I have no idea what you are talking about.

>Keitaro starts off as a worthless nerd whose only goal is to get a girl friend.

I really, really, really wish they'd actually developed this because it would have been perfect for them to actually sit down and have him understand that his entire plan/goal was fucking retarded.

He had based his entire life around this idea he'd marry this girl he knew when he was like 3. He'd never actually made an effort with women because he always had the idea that he'd just marry this girl. So he's a pathetic loser with no hobbies, no ambition and no other goals because he'll just get into Todai and then he'll be married and it'll all be fine.

It gets pointed out how stupid this plan is, it even gets pointed out how because he failed to get in chances are he's already missed the girl and he'd never see her... But it's always just glossed over, he just shrugs and goes "I'LL WORK HARD! YEAH!" And everyone smiles and the plot never properly fucking addresses it.

You can kind'a console yourself with the idea that he eventually (partially) gets over his retarded dream and chases after Naru, except...

1. It turns out she WAS the girl from his childhood all along! Psyche!
2. THE ENTIRE FUCKING PLOT WAS SETUP BY HIS GRANDMOTHER TO GET HIM TOGETHER WITH A GIRL HE MADE A DUMB PROMISE WITH WHEN HE WAS 5.

Hoooly shit, just remembering it makes me roll my eyes. So fucking dumb.

>He develops useful skills and experiences, and eventually finds interests and goals outside women

Kind'a. Not really.

What he actually does is just become a 1:1 carbon copy of Seta, who wasn't exactly a great person himself given how he treated Haruka.

No, or at least I don't remember it.

That and the GBA one.

Really? I was fairly certain it was quite popular back in the day. It's still up on newgrounds if you wanna play it.

newgrounds.com/portal/view/144166

I never got to play the GBA one since it was only available in Japanese.

Pretty sure I played it on an emulator with a translation patched ROM.

I remember playing the GBA one in english when I was younger

I used to play this and the Galaxy Angel one.

>Really?
Yes, really. Why else would that totally honest catgirl be my previous pic?

Nothing changed.

Naru is still best girl.

Ahh right. I did a quick search and found an english patched rom was released years ago.

I apologize. I've been up all night and it's already 4 AM.

I never got to finish that one. Both the anime and that flash game.

Also water is dry.

>breath

>IS
>implying TLR didn't hit harem series harder

God fuck. I like ecchi but save me from all the Rito clones.

LH is to blame for every harem anime being "MISUNDERSTANDINGS!" with a shitty boring MC lead.

TLR is to blame for every harem protagonist having sex thrown at him and spending literally the entire plot running away from the idea of beautiful women wanting to have sex with him (exactly the kind of thing teenage boys are known for).

Thankfully this is finally changing on both fronts.

Shinobu's introduction in the anime was better than the one from the manga. Had more symbolism and impact.

>He's actually the best harem MC ever.
You went too far with that one.

That newgrounds flash game aged better than the anime.

It aged like milk

manga aged pretty well though

A lot of people shit on the anime, but I thought most of the parts with Shinobu in it were great.

The scenario and girls were all pretty damn good. Manga holds up better then anime.

That said, it was a big player in solidifying the terrible manga/anime trend of: "shlumpy guy is fawned over by harem of attractive girls but despite their ever increasing demands for his dick he seems absolutely allergic to the idea of even kissing much less sex."

Which we still feel the shitty effects of to this day.

Name one harem MC better than him.

Haku.

>Name one harem MC better than him.
Iono

I don't even want to watch it again because it might suck this time.

>might
>this time
>implying

>aged well
Maybe not, but Love Hina is still a classic. It's worthy of respect. The manga more so than the anime, of course.

Akuto Sai from Demon Kind Daimao.

Guy actively showed interest in women. Even the ones that wanted to kill him.

And his answer to the color wars was d.) All of the above. Also throw in the dragon for good measure.

The anime did have some good music despite being so inferior to the manga.

youtube.com/watch?v=8v27XcJw2ws

Basara from Shinmai Maou

Kazuki from Magica

Kogarashi from Yuuna

Nariyuki from We Can't Study

Tenchi from Tenchi Muyo

etc etc etc

The show is shit, but the christmas movie holds up pretty well even today if you ask me.

>It fucking inspired all the horrible harem tropes
You're right, LH took the harem genre in a new, and frankly, not particularly good direction.
But it seems foolish to judge the anime that harshly just because of the fact that other shows copied it to the point where you got sick of the tropes LH established.
That's kinda like hating on K-On!, just because everyone and their mother tried to copy it.

I have mixed feelings on the anime, it was pretty bad on one hand, but maybe that's just because of shitty execution. Maybe it could've been good.
But it had its positives too, I remember the art was pretty unique and innovative for its time, you can see how it influenced the whole industry in the early 00's.
And a few girls at least are still likeable.

It always had its problems, but I think it still has some value, if only because of the influence it had on the entire genre.

It was fine but isn't ecchi enough or comedic enough to hold up today.

That fucking GBA game was my gateway to full weebdom.

Love Hina is basically the prototype for a lot of bad harem series that exist today. That said, it still does it better than most of them even now. Also, read the manga.

There are hardly any harem series that are like Tenchi these days. It would actually require the writer to put in some effort. Most of them are modeled after Infinite Stratos these days.

I haven't seen IS. What's the difference?

This. Keitaro was better before he became Seta-lite, after which he just completely stopped being remotely relatable. I mean, he couldn't even throw a punch before that point, but goes training for a year and can now beat Motoko in sword combat? My suspension of disbelief has its limits.

Then I would suggest you watch at least the first season of it. The differences will then become apparent.

wHow much would history have changed if Motoko won instead of Naru? The shitty tsundere thing may have never caught on.

When does this happen ? That's terrible writing.
I only watched the first season of the anime, does this happen later in the series, or did I just purge it from memory ?

After Naru makes him not go to college after passing his exams

First time I read it, I liked it. Second time, hated it. Dragged on. Third time, liked it again. It's nothing super special but it does lots of little things well.

Negima blows it the fuck out.

I think it still has a certain magic and charm that most romcom harems don't have nowadays. Many of the tropes it established or used have been done better or to death two decades later, so I'm not sure if it aged well. I guess it depends on one's perspective.

Anyhow, Naru was my first waifu and Shinobu was like my first daughteru. Love Hina will always hold a special place in my heart because of that.

More awful Houki type tsundere would have been created if Motoko won instead. That would be most terrible.

Guess it's been a long time since I read it, I forgot she was a huge cunt too.

I actually went though the manga again last year and it definitely hasn't aged well. I still appreciate it for what it is but it really proved to me that harem actually has developed on past Love Hina.

It happens in the manga.

This right here!

It might not have been the first to do it but it was the standard bearer for the "baka eechi! I can only act like a bumbling moron around women!" MC that permeates almost all harem anime/manga to this day.

Imagine a world where Negima got copied instead of LH and now all harem MCs are shotas. I want to live in that world.

We're still getting Urusei Yatsusa derivatives too, although they've become more subtle in recent years. Mostly.

In the beginning, but she becomes pretty chill later on in the series. Only Naru remained an obnoxious tsundere from beginning to finish.

Urusei Yatsura wasn't a harem though, as there were only two love interests (well, really one). I can't think of a single show similar to it.

See that's what I thought, I would take that any day over the archetypal Narus that reign ever since.

What do you think were the most influential harems before Love Hina ?
For me, it would be
>Urusei Yatsura (haven't actually seen it)
>Ranma 1/2
>Aa! Megami-sama
>Tenchi Muyou
Not that many, if you think about it. Or am I missing some ?
I know there was some stuff like Saber Marionette J in the 90's, but as far as I know it wasn't very popular.

Nostalgia really makes things more beautiful because holy shit, that looks horrible, it was prettier in my memory. Still, that scene with mitsune naked under the blanket will always be treasured in my heart.

Naru is literally worse than Houki. Such a shit girl that ruined the tsundere archetype forever.

Mokoto a best. A BEST.

The Urusei Yatsuya formula is one supernatural girl who appears to the main character one day and one girl he knew before (almost always a classmate or childhood friend). After Urusei Yatsuya, it became common to expand it into a full harem by adding a bunch of extra girls to the formula. The extra girls range from "not even in the running" to "just hanging around to fill out the girl quota". Date-A-Live's a good example. You can even argue that Fate/Stay Night follows the blueprint, too.

I've watched a fair amount of Urusei Yatsura and Lum and Shinobu are always the love interests. Ataru is just a lecher that goes after any female but those two. That doesn't make it a harem.

Urusei Yatsura wasn't harem, but Ranma 1/2 was. They were both made by the same person.

Yeah, the harem aspect was added by derivatives. That's why even when they take the harem route, there's usually not much focus on the girls besides the main two.

What I'm saying is that there was never a harem aspect in Urusei Yatsura. Go watch it again, it doesn't exist. Hell, were are more male cast members than female. At least use Ranma 1/2 as an example if you're going to make a harem comparison, as it is much closer to what you're trying to describe.

>worthless beta cuck punching bag
>violent tsundere
>completely ripped off setting
is was always shit, it just took people a while to realize it