What's so special about this guy?

What's so special about this guy?

Honest question. Not even trying to hate on him, just genuinely curious.

Other urls found in this thread:

nausicaa.net/miyazaki/interviews/oshii_on_mt.html
nausicaa.net/miyazaki/interviews/m_oshii_patlabor2.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

He created some great animu movies.

He called out the modern anime industry and fanbase for its bullshit and shit taste, and weebs couldn't handle the bantz.

How so? Sorry could you elaborate.

He rejects otaku culture and his works are therefore not weakened by the pandering and fanservice of 99% of the rest of anime.

People like to say he's the "Walt Disney" of Japan, but I think the Speilberg is more accurate. He had a string of highly popular films that lead to an elevated status that's been questionable for the past decade.

Timing also plays a part, in that he won an Oscar a few years before the social internet really started lifting off. It was validation for anime as a whole, and ever since then he's been heralded as the leader of the medium.

Because he is the highest skilled animator and director in anime history?

Modern industry uses other animes as the main references for new ones. They also pander to otaku with shit tons of fan service.
He prefers anime based off of actual life experiences marketed towards a broader, more generalized age group.

He's a cool guy that wants to fly high in the ancient city of Laputa.

>made good movies
>is a literal communist (or used to be?)
>calls out "otakus" as the autists they actually are
>calls out the modern industry for being the trash that it actually is
>makes autists seethe with rage when they see his face

Are there other animators like him? Is there anyone else that is comparable, or is he in his own league?

Highest skilled animator is Anno, highest skilled director is Satoshi Kon

I mean the rest of Ghibli makes good-looking movies. Though, I think he's a better film maker than them by far.

>is Satoshi Kon

Was Satoshi Kon.

;___;

People that have worked with/around Miyazaki over 40+ years are similar. Miyazaki also trains people that he works with.

Wrong, but whatever.

Step back.

h-hidoi

Sorry, but you don't have the skills to determine what is good animation or direction.

Nice try though

>Highest skilled animator in the industry
>not Hiroyuki Okiura, Toshiyuki Inoue, Yutaka Nakamura, Norio Matsumoto

Sorry buddy, but Anno is the master

Only debatable competitor is Mitsuo Iso

Okiura is definitely in the top three though

>He rejects otaku culture and his works are therefore not weakened by the pandering and fanservice of 99% of the rest of anime.
Good one. The secret about Miyazaki is that he is the biggest otaku of them all - but not an otaku in the modern "moeblob, character pillow" sense, but an otaku in the sense like his mentor Yasuo Otsuka's obsession with Jeeps. Thus, Miyazaki does indeed have fanservice in terms of detailed mecha like flying machines and shit.

Some have already mentioned the elements of lolicon with his protagonists, but he does have pragmatic and didactic purposes in the sense of his communist ideals and equality for women. Textual analysis that calls them lolitas is nevertheless a valid read on perhaps his "id" level intentions.

Fuck, I knew I was forgetting someone. Either way, Anno cannot do character animation very well, only explosions and mechanical animation (only to a certain degree).

Do you think that Yoshifumi Kondo would have been a good Ghibli successor if he didn't fucking die?

>animes

There's nothing wrong with being an enthusiast for certain things. Miyazaki is simply more noble and old fashioned.

Miyazaki is a communist? What the fuck?

He mainly focuses on environmentalism and anti-war but he's also very anti-capitalist. I believe he stopped specifically identifying as a Communist a while ago but he did identify as one at one point
You can find shitloads of Marxist symbolism in Spirited Away and his other work

He isn't a communist, he just has super traditionalist/backwards views on society/civilization. He seems like he wants to live in a very primitive, yet fantastical world from what I've gathered.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Used to be a Communist but stopped. He's still a vocal anti-war and environmental activist as well as a feminist. He's super against Abe amending the constitution and wants joint rule over contested Chinese/Japanese islands. Tons of Japs hate him and call him anti-Japanese. Honestly his politics, while obviously Leftist, never seemed overly Communist to me

He makes world class animation, not anime.

>while obviously Leftist
I don't see the problem.

I'm not trying to imply that being a Leftist (or a Communist for that matter) is a bad thing. I'm just giving my analysis on Miyazaki's politics

>Textual analysis that calls them lolitas is nevertheless a valid read on perhaps his "id" level intentions.

Dafuq?
Are you(they) calling him a pedo on the sly?

>"Reality is for people that lack imagination"
Very true.

You gonna start shit, boi?

If liking specific things is all it takes to qualify as an otaku, you should probably call Tarrantino, Guillermo del Toro, Alfred Hitchcock and Martin Scorsese otaku too.

Make your move.

>Thus, Miyazaki does indeed have fanservice in terms of detailed mecha like flying machines and shit.

That's some stretch.

Sorry, but that is a bullshit argument. Try to understand the original sense of otaku - it was a much broader concept than our current degenerate form of otaku. It's simply fanaticism about some subject, like cameras or concrete tetrapod erosion barriers.

Mecha fanservice is a thing, just ask /m/ for details, and Miyzaki is well within that tradition of extreme detail in machines. Pic is a sketch by a Miyazaki animation mentor Otsuka, another mech otaku.

Disney backs him so he gets great press in the west.

That´s it, his movies are good, but they are overblown, Satoshi Kon was better.

He makes some of the most commercially viable children's movies in the industry. That's something desired by many. Does that answer your question OP?

This classic analysis of Miyazaki and Ghibli by non other than Oshii has some good insight:
nausicaa.net/miyazaki/interviews/oshii_on_mt.html

His tongue in cheek comparison between Ghibli and the Kremlin, and Miyazaki/Takahata as party bosses therein, is an amusing reference to their 60s radical ethos.

>Textual analysis that calls them lolitas is nevertheless a valid read on perhaps his "id" level intentions.
I am 99% sure you're just spouting bullshit here.

Not really. A text like the Ghibli corpus can be deconstructed and "read" in the sense of getting at deeper meanings like that within the work of a auteur like Miyazaki. That's a usual method in every peer reviewed academic work on anime, and you could probably argue for a Lolita interpretation of his authorship decently enough. That's not my interpretation, mind you, but just a possibility.

It's not at all. Weapons and vehicles are in almost everything by Miyazaki. Especially of the aviation variety. How new do you have to be to not know that Miyazaki loves planes?

Oshii calling Grave of the Fireflies an erotic story is fucking creepy.

Yeah, Oshii's read on Grave is...interesting...to say the least. The discussion between him and Miyazaki on the topic of the Patlabor 2 movie is pretty good as well: nausicaa.net/miyazaki/interviews/m_oshii_patlabor2.html