Early-mid 2000s thread (~2006)

What have you been watching lately?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=dWz2BWGxqMI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I need to rewatch R.O.D and THE TV. haven't been blessed with the perfection of my waifu for too long.

It's been a while, might rewatch King Gainer or Brigadoon

I've seen the first 6 episodes of Mujin Wakusei Survive the last two days. The writing is terrible, makes me want to drop it, but people say it has a good story. May drop it as soon as it feels like a chore to watch, but will give it a little more chances.
Looks great though

>the writing is terrible
Because it's a deconstruction.

I'm halfway through Yume Tsukai. It's the kind of thing I would expect to have a small cult following, but I don't even see it posted in the 'forgotten anime'/'anime only you watched' threads.
I also watched Rocket Girls recently and it was nice. I was afraid it would be too silly after the car vs helicopter chase in the first episode. But despite plenty of humor it managed to stay relatively grounded, enough for me to care about the story at least.
I'm also watching it. Currently at episode 36 or something.
Why are you saying the writing is terrible? I think it's nothing fantastic but it's clearly competent, which is already better than most anime.
It's a simple story and it's not trying to be realistic, but I don't really mind it. Because of that it really feels like a anime for kids, I wonder who was supposed to be the target audience.

Wrong quote, sorry. I meant to quote

I'm not saying the writing is terrible. Just that it may be perceived as such. I actually love it quite a bit. It even makes room to give Miyazaki the middlefinger on-screen then kill him off with a sense of fashion it also manages to perfectly introduce many sf elements in the first episode alone and act like it's nothing special where most sf (anime/manga/whatever) make a big deal out of it.

Maybe not terrible, but there annoying things all the time in how they act. And it really feels childish. Like the type of thing someone who have no faith in children's intelligence would write.

I'm back a few more years with some Nadesico. God this was entertaining; still is.

I actually watched .hack//Sign recently.Still need to watch the episode or two that happens after the ending.

>or two that happens after the ending.
I still need to play through that crappy game. God am I not looking forward to that.

I'm honestly considering just playing the rerelease of GU and seeing if I can just pick up any missing info from there.

I've watched Mermaid's Scar OVA some time ago and only recently learned that there is TV series Mermaid's forest. Shit is entertaining so far

GU is Roots, there's not a lot of Sign related stuff

Recently watched Shingu and it's decent. Would've certainly been better if they had fully realized it.

FMA 2003
Still loving it as much ad back then.

I'm gonna rewatch R O D now due to be slammed hard by nostalgia

Crest/Banner of the Stars is underrated

I just finished watching Planetes tonight. I can definitely see why it won awards and has long been on Sup Forums's "must see" image lists.

I finished that recently. I really enjoyed it, and the last episodes were really good despite not having many battles. They manage to make just talking engaging

17 episodes into Ojamajo doremi sharp and still aint feeling it,so far its still just okay.

Mazinkaiser. Nothing too amazing but the Mazinkaiser's design is pure sex.

Just finished the entire .hack franchise (minus the games, which definitely made things confusing) a little while ago. I found it pretty mediocre overall but at the same time I think Subaru might be my waifu.

About 100 episodes into Gash Bell now, it's pretty comfy.

I just realized I didn't say what I think of Yume Tsukai.
It's essentially an episodic magical girls anime with exorcists who hunt nightmares that come into reality, and it's great. I can't think of any similar episodic anime that is so consistently good.
It definitely deserves to be more popular.

>type of thing someone who have no faith in children's intelligence would write
I know what you mean, but I don't think Survive is guilty of that. It's simple but not dumb. Make it any more complicated, by getting in the more technical aspect of survival life or sci-fi technology for example, and it would be at risk of being too innaccessible for children.
Kids shouldn't be overestimated. Before 10 yo I doubt many kids pay attention to the finer details of the fiction they're watching.
The only thing that really bothered me is the arc with the fugitives. The kids only win because 2 of the bad guys are stupid and seemingly never fight seriously. I think the problem is they were too strong physically, so there was no way the kids would win if they weren't also dumb.

Watching Get Backers. Taking my time with it because I usually watch the series in one go but I need to restrain myself. I like how they found away to restrain and explain Ban's OP illusion eyes unlike the genjutsu's in Naruto which were too OP and didn't make much sense.

I love Shingu. What do you mean "fully realized"? My only real complaint is the ending.

I think Sharp went too hard on the baby angle, but Doremi as a whole is fantastic.

Watched Xenosaga anime a few weeks ago. It was fucking shitty.

Yeah that. It was planned to be 3-4 cours, but was cancelled. It just suddenly ends.
And I can't bring myself to love, as there was jsut way too much normal school slice of life. I like the chill times with these characters, but no in the school. Even in the final episode they were still dealing with school stuff.

>Gash Bell
The manga was better. The anime didn't really catch the zanier aspects of the manga.

Well I find even the anime fairly zany, so if the manga does better then I'm all for it. Are the mangaka's other works worth reading, do you know?

I watched Kokoro Toshokan, it was comfy but the disgusting femininity was offputting at times. It's not a masterpiece but it's a fine iyashikei that can be a little bit annoying.

I'm watching Pokemon on TV and it rocks, dude. Hopefully cable TV will still be a thing in 2018!

Haha epic dubs bro

I'm watching Last Exile and it's meh. Pretty dissapointing considering its good reputation.
Also, is the show voluntarily vague about the political stuff, how the world works and what the Last Exile and the Guild exactly are, or am I retarded? I don't usually have problems understanding anime yet here I'm at episode 16 and I'm still not sure of what the story is about.
I hope everything makes sense by the end of the series, but it's really weird storytelling. I can't manage to give a fuck about what's happening because everything seems so random.

I just began watching the Saikano OVA. It reminds me that the show was pretty interesting.

Really needs proper re-make with good animation.

The old anime is filled with QUALITY.

Watching Strange Dawn and Turn a Gundam, good shit.

Scrapped Princess, it's alright

>his waifu
>doesn't even get the name of the show right
an hero faggot

>.hack game
>Crappy

How does it feel to have shit taste? If you don't want to play it just watch YouTube videos or something. You're not gonna enjoy the game if you're gonna go in with that attitude.

I still can’t believe that the same guy who did the Shadow of the Colossus soundtrack did Gash Bell’s

Been watching Fafner. It's pretty fun actually. It's not perfect sure but it isn't particularly horrendous. I feel like the lumpy gold designs of the festum take a lot out of the quality of the fight-scenes though. The actual character designs are nice though. I can't get enough of the Hiraiface.

The OVA is R.O.D as I wrote. TV show has a sub-title THE TV as I wrote so R.O.D -THE TV-. The novel series is R.O.D READ OR DIE YOMIKO READMAN "THE PAPER". What exactly are you on, user?

By the end of the series you'll have a pretty good idea of what's going on. I agree that the show can be pretty vague at times, but overall it was a decent watch.

You should avoid the sequel like the plague though.

Loved the anime and Manga back in 3rd grade when it was on toonami. Maybe I'll watch it just to bring back old memories

I'm making my way through MS Igloo right now. The character animation is jarring to look at sometimes but the mecha animation holds up well. The plot is a pretty neat Zeek tech demo.

I have no idea what it is about, I just always remember it as "not Gundam Seed".

He composed Gundam Wing as well.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=dWz2BWGxqMI

I liked Moetan, it was a little dumb, but was enjoyable. Considering it was a adaptation of english studies books it was good, I think.

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Christo

I thought it was gonna be more psychological because of the shows it is usually grouped with on a 3x3. Somehow I missed out on the context of the original being more of an adventure novel.

Thank you, I'm at episode 20 now and it's starting to make more sense. Mostly because things that were implied before are getting confirmed little by little.
I still think it's a really stupid way of telling the story. I would have been more invested in the show if they had made the stakes clear in the first few episodes.

Shit, I didn't mean to sage.

>being able to enjoy the first season of Fafner

Oh boy, you're in for the treat when you get to the actual good parts of the series.

It's a shame Igloo 2 is such trash and ruins the neat premise of Igloo 1.

I've been watching Ghost in the Shell: SAC. It's nostalgic as fuck since I would watch it every now and then years ago when it aired on Toonami or the Sci-fi channel, I don't remember. The opening in particular takes me back.

Also, I like it so much more than the movie. It's pretty comfy to watch an episode or two before bed everyday.

yeah, I was kinda disappointed with that show
it's stylish, but also contains a lot of ugly early 2000s CGI and just isn't as special or deep as everyone was making it out to be
the MC was also pretty annoying to me (it's amazing how naive he is) and I found it hard to sympathise with the Count considering that in the end he was basically just a manipulative sociopath with a silver tongue
the plot is also pretty predictable, though I guess that might just be a fault of the original material

I know, I've heard that the first season is supposedly bad in comparison to the second, so hell I'm really looking forward to it.

Just watched this such a masterpiece

new mai-hime series when?

There's a sorta-sequel-sorta-AU called Mai-Otome

You should read the manga. The anime is good, but it blows it out of the water.

The art style and color palette turn me on, but I feel like it's actually garbage.

Meant for this.

.hack//SIGN was my introduction to anime in the early to mid-2000's, and to this day is the only anime that I bought a physical copy for myself. Though it sadly seems like it's too esoteric for most people, even most otaku, to get into on the level that I did. Still, it's interesting what meditations on the Y2K scare and a desire to rework NGE managed to produce.

People give a lot of shit to Hirai, rightfully so, but I found that a lot of the shows he did designs for were actually pretty decent. I avoided a lot of them for a while just because of how much I disliked SEED, but it was pretty silly to do that when the character designs were only part of why SEED was shit.

Are you me? I just finished Fafner. I also didn't mind Hiraiface at all, really.

I liked it. You just need to be in the right mood for it, not too sleepy and perfectly relaxed, and have time to watch many episodes so you can adjust to the pacing

I watched .hack/SIGN and I liked it, but I couldn't really get into the rest of the franchise.

This entire show was ridiculous in the best way possible.

Anyone remember this gem from 2006? Tank was such a bro.

Oh, this was pretty good. I liked the whole "your fantasy is actually post-apocalyptic sci-fi twist".

Zefi a cute.

Stand Alone Complex was well, complex.

>.hack//SIGN
I loved it. Very atmospheric. Fantastic OST as well. No idea why people hate it but honestly couldn't care less. At the end of the day i enjoyed it and that's all that matters to me.
Probably the weakest of GWG trilogy but only because the other two are so much better. Still a very good show.

The picture in the bottom right looks like a joke. What a sameface.

Agreed, I found the rest of the franchise really dragged. They sort of abandoned the contemplative feel with .//Roots and it totally lost me.

The whole GWG trilogy was good stuff. A pity that kind of show isn't made anymore.

Bee Train did a lot of good work, while it lasted.

Yeah, I'm pretty much the same. I've played the first of the original games that serve as its immediate sequel (and hope to obtain the other three at some point), but it kind felt like the series really didn't have the same inspiration behind it after that point. (I did like the . hack//Liminality OVAs that came with the games, though.)

parappa

Magical Nyan Nyan Taruto. Magical catgirl loli is cute and fun as fuck.

It was over the top, but never ridiculous.

>Count considering that in the end he was basically just a manipulative sociopath with a silver tongue
That was the point. I hope you were able to savour delicious Jouji Nakata.

i really enjoyed SAC. Wish there was more like that.

Psycho Pass

I just finished watching Samurai Champloo for the first time last night. It's been on my hard drive for ages, I found out about it because it had so many banners on here, but for some reason I never sat and watched. Either way it was really great, there were a couple of filler episodes I could've lived without, but I liked it more than I expected.
Also tried watching Cromartie High School again today, but it hasn't aged very well at all.

Cyberpunk is pretty dead as a genre.

>Cromartie High School
The humour is
>lol so randumb
It's not for everybody. And there is nothing off about Mechazawa, seriously guys.

has been on my backlog forever. Maybe i should finally give it a shot

sadly yes.There is a new ghost in the shell project but it'll probably be another arise. Hopefully not.

Yeah, I thought Cromartie was great back when I saw it in like 2006 but I suppose it's because that was the humor of the time.

They changed the order and perspective from the novel so that probably caused some more predictably than intended.
As for the CGI, while tacky I thought it worked extremely well in showing what a tacky aristocratic bourbon restoration France would look like.
>and I found it hard to sympathise with the Count considering that in the end he was basically just a manipulative sociopath with a silver tongue
Was 100% the point, again as the anime shifts the order of events there's much less viewer empathy behind the count.
I highly recommend you read the novel.

Yeah, too bad you missed all the meaningful discussion on Sup Forums. It's best to watch shows like that as they air.

i somehow never get to do that due to time constraints/procastination, even for shit i know i will like. At least there's the annual streams of more popular things to get a bit of that. And they always seem to be happy to have some first viewers around so i guess it isnt all bad

I wouldn't know about it. Isn't communal streaming always very low-quality?

>Cromartie High School
yeah, it was recommended to me as similar to Detroit Metal City, but I'm honestly not finding it very funny so far, a lot of it feels like randomness for randomness' sake

i just torrent it and start it with the stream so the chat lines up

Oh wow. That's a way to do it, I guess.

Not an anime but started reading Marie no Kanaderu Ongaku and it's absolutely amazing.

I didn't like psycho-pass much at all, the premise was nice, but the plot and characters were kinda mediocre and the show never really explored it's themes fully
also what the fuck was up with all the random philosophy quotes, that's some real pseudointellectual shit right there

>what the fuck was up with all the random philosophy quotes
>random
2deep4u? It was all related to the themes and setting of the show, if you bothered to pay attention.
Makishima citing this or that shows you what kind of person he is (i.e. a hipster), it was all a part of his characterisation.

>also what the fuck was up with all the random philosophy quotes
they probably stole that from innocence, kek