Isekai/reincarnation

Is isekai or reincarnation really that bad? your thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

read.lhtranslation.com/read-makikomarete-isekai-teni-suru-yatsu-wa-taitei-cheat-chapter-4.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes it's a shit excuse for not fleshing out your character's backstory

No it's a great excuse for not fleshing out your character's backstory

It was always here but slightly less rough.

isekai isnt bad in itself
the problem is that it's so overdone, and it's almost always badly done
all the worst writers do isekai because it's the popular thing and it's easy to write, just explain everything with video game mechanics
and it's easy to do self insert power fantasy with isekai

aah i see, interesting opinion

They don't change anything up for Isekai, Which is why I respect Overlord because it's way different and actually enjoyable.

I hate to keep using this as an example but how would I enjoy this if the MC achieved this after episode one.

great comment

No. It's often used badly, but it's rarely the reason why a story is shit.

If it's a story about Karl Marx about to bring communism revolution in another world, yes.

Isekai is like a lego set with only the standard square coloured bricks.
Unless you're a fairly good builder your models are going to look a lot like everyone elses.
I believe that the whole genre -especially the character progression/levels is a power fantasy.
Its following on from the promise of "Do good in school, pass the exam, get into a good university, get a good job, meet a girl, fall in love..." which rarely happens in the real world.
Having the traditional cheat skill is a reaction to Raijuu's? [SP] and people who seem to cruise through life on easymode.

As a genre its so easy to write I literally just scribbled down 17 points which could be used to create 1+ volumes of isekai by anyone able to write at any level.

Female isekai is good because girls are cute.

Reincarnation is the fucking worst, worse than being simply transported. Because every isekai is wish-fulfillment, there will always be a romance subplot, imagine a 20-30 years age gap relationship, that's fucking disgusting. One of the reasons I dropped MT, MC is ~50 years old by the time he fucked the redhead & elf who both are like 16.

See this is enjoyable because of the characters and the MC seems to be avoiding Harem path and has gone in a different direction with the slavery which Isekais love.
By having such a high level he's trancended the system imposed from the outside, already won if you will.
This means he can react in a slightly more normal manner to events

An isekai where a girl is reincarnated into a spider. Power-level isekai, actually quite fun thanks to the mangaka being super good at drawing a very lively spider with shitloads of funny poses and expressions.

Too many pages full of skill lists and exposition, though.

I have only really remember/have read the mainstream isekai/reincarnation novels of Japan and China, because honestly, I cannot be fucked finding a diamond in the rough. I will say, however, from my reading experience so far, that Japan's mainstream reincarnation novels are more shit than what I have read of China's mainstream reincarnation wuxia/xianxia novels. Seeing a MC go from the lowest rung of society to basically the unrivalled ruler of the multiverse is more exciting than seeing a highschool kid(or even some 40 year old virgin neet) go from overpowered to hero. It may just be because I'm a bit edgy, but I found a world where might is right and the weak are killed and eaten by the strong more of an exciting world than a world that needs saving from an entity that is obviously the main 'threat', and basically nothing in between. I would also like to say Korean reincarnation novels are good as well, but the only KR reincarnation novel I have read and completed so far is Warlock of the Magus World, and is my favourite novel to date. You should go read it.

End of thoughts

Probably you meant summoning or reincarnation Isekai, i don think that are bad, but how they start the series is the problem, like
>MC gain a power equal to the top 100 in the world in the first vol
>MC can solve every problem alone and without effort
>Have a skill that is Legendary/unique and op as fuck (Skilltaker skill is the worst of all)
>MC use his simple knowledge of this world, but that is legendary tier for that world
>MC is powerful in every aspect
Physical (Is powerful in close combat and he know martial arts)
Magical (Powerful in ranged combat)
Combat experience (Even if they live in a peaceful world, they can fight as if a experienced soldier)
Psychological (For some reason he can kill without hesitation and can see blood as if it were water )
Keikaku (All his plan always works)
Knowledge of this world (He can reproduce every item from this world in a short amount of time)
If for some reason you die (Around 30 years old like almost every reincarnated MC) and you reincarnated in a baby, when you have 20 year old, you going to aim to girls of the same body age (20) or girls of the same mental age (50)?

Maybe the most stupid power-level isekai out there. MC basically becomes and invincible and immortal semi-god after a dozen chapters.
Also considers that if you want to fuck women, it's not rape if you drug them before. Well, he's a gob, so I guess for a gob it's pretty considerate to drug them before in the first place.

Isekai from the edgy sub-genre, but as almost all of them, it eventually fails at being really edgy.

MC has a cheat skill that allows him to build whatever item he wants

Honestly, I sometimes go and check on the manga and see if a new chapter has come out every once in a while. It is so ridiculously stupid that it has transcended and made go back and see how more shit it becomes before I completely lose interest

Isekai with the blandest MC ever created.

MC is a completely overpowered god-killer from the start.

Fun isekai with great PLOT

I somehow want to see how he builds his gob society.

Bad isekai with a MC who becomes stupidly strong thanks to its knowledge of """""""""""""""science""""""""""""""", the power of imagination, and superior Japanese kanji.

Summary user, I want the briefly summary of this read.lhtranslation.com/read-makikomarete-isekai-teni-suru-yatsu-wa-taitei-cheat-chapter-4.html (With the Page of Pc with the skills as a pic)

Isekais can’t even be called stories. They’re literally just wish fulfilment for hopeless NEETs whose only way of feeling happy is imagining how their miserable life would be different if they were Jesus. To anyone else the medium is blatantly, mind-numbingly retarded. What is there to discuss?

I don't know this one. I don't know that many of them actually.

One I somehow like is Genjitsushugisha no Oukokukaizouki, where some guy is magically brought to some kingdom in disarray to be a hero. The point of the story being he doesn't become a fighting hero, but an adminitrative hero who'll have to reform the whole economic/administrative/law structure of the kingdom to save it from its imminent collapse.

However, to be desu, the way this kingdom was managed before he arrived was so fuckingly retarded that it deserved all the shit that happened to it.

Well, i read almost every isekai manga (I made pic related), and since then i even pick more series, probably i going to update or made a new version of this soon, and so far i think that this is the worst Isekai of all

oh, well, I just read the 7 chapters released, and it's insanely bad, so don't bother

Its the opposite for me reincarnation is where its at while transportation is simply the worst. Honestly I would do the same this annon is describing and aim for chicks around 20-30 range.
why would I go for a 40 year old hag.

harem isekai with a quite beta MC who either refuses to fuck his gf or his cockblocked everytime he tries
at least, the story is going fast, no tournament or other onsen stalling arcs

>no tournament
There is tournament you dingus

I don't really see the point of adding both ages together. 15 year old who reincarnated after dying at 30 won't have experiences or outlook of actual 45 year old, and 15 year spent in a new body would de-age personality if anything.

no

but the writing in most of their stories are

By itself? No, there are plenty of good and fun older isekai. The current market is trash that had a malformed baby with the "trapped in a video game" genre and now we have dozens of people being sent to "video game-like worlds" where people get overpowered abilities and "skills" out the ass.

Most isekai now is written by amateur authors posting their works online and the popular ones get grabbed up by publishers looking to make a quick profit. The video game mechanics and dragon quest setting are a crutch used to replace any sort of writing that takes effort and would detract from the author writing all his own fantasies and fetishes into the story.

There are a couple of decent modern ones but they're surrounded by a sea of shit.

Is there a untranslated Isekai that I can still get hyped for?

>There are a couple of decent modern ones
name a few

>Read MT
>was enjoyable
>rawfag told me there will be no Tensei series as good as it
>didn't believe him because even though it was good it was still pretty flawed
>turns out he was telling the truth

There are bad and good isekais. One of the good ones is Overlord. Sasuga Ainz-sama!

I agree

though I recommend to stay away from the gender bender ones they tend to get raped

she was a spider from the beginning, her memories are fake

By itself it's just a plot device to get a character with extra knowledge into a fantasy world. Where it gets really shit is when it becomes a shitty power fantasy, ala smartphone, dearth march. Not to say that the main character can't be overpowered; Overlord does this quite well and his troubles come from overestimating opponents and generally accidentally blowing shit up.
Then we have whatever that mecha trap isekai was that I can't remember the name of, that was decent, since the character was using his abilities from before to mainly augment his experience, and in general had no goals other than making cool robots.
Eh whatever, there's bad writing and good writing.

Old isekai > Modern isekai

The manga is so much better than the WN.
Too bad the plot nosedives soonish, probably dropping it then.

what? you meant that chapter during the cat people arc? it was not even a tournament, it was barely a duel between the MC and the cat princess, and even then it barely lasted 1 or 2 chapters overall, so it didn't stall anything. Just compare to what that fucking tournamentin tsugumomo that has been going on for months

tl;dr it turns to shit when the MC is a gary stu

Isekai MCs are probably the only character I saw where I thought the term "gary stu" was completely appropriate.

HxH/Berserk Tier in term of Hiatus

Nectar has been surprisingly good. The setting is basically "what if we took the generic fantasy world but bumped it up into the industrial revolution era and the antagonists are the dark elves going imperialistic and using the modernation to take over. The mc introduces new technology like dynamite, but its stuff he knows because he worked with it in various jobs he's held because he's an adult and not just a kid who googled it once forever ago. His power is strong, but not so strong that he hasn't never been pushed or not been in real danger of losing, and he can't just use the power on his own or whenever he wants. And to top it off the series has a legitimate reason for why they had to summon an off worlder other than "lol we needed a hero".

Also he draws delicious looking tits.

>in general had no goals other than making cool robots

To be honest, all of these "no real goals" is getting to be pretty trash tier in isekai stories. There's only so often you can call something "comfy" when literally nothing happens except the overpowered MC indulging themselves.

i love that one hilarious isekai where there are no more males and all females orgasm from just the touch of a male.
then he mindbreaks a stundere by biting on her ear.

Classic.

agreed

Parallel Paradise is what you're looking for.

This. The average person doesn’t know shit about elements or molecular compounds. Also magic has absolutely nothing to do with science.

That's not really an isekai, though. Connecticut Yankee is literally about a guy who dies and gets sent to a magical world of knights and wizards where he uses his understanding of modern technology to take over the setting.

not an isekai

>Exterminator manga pulls ahead of the novel in 6 chapters. Maid leaves party to get many married
>MC of 29-Years-Old Bachelor goes from decent cautious MC to a complete edgelord in one chapter.
>and then theres pic related

Not a good week for Isekai developments

It fits the trope. Baby starts a new life as an ape and becomes OP.
I Suppose Carter would have been a better choice.

He wasn't transported to another world, though, which is what Isekai literally translates to

Problem with most Isekai is, MC doesn't really use modern knowledge in the medieval world they get transported in.

There's only very few MC that actually do.

What the MC often does is adjust to the world's "system" instead.

The MC uses meta-knowledge about the game system, which is effectively modern info

My issue is that these writers don't know what or how to write past halfway of their WN/LN.

Just look at Shieldbro and many other isekai WN that went to shit because the writer....can't write or ran out of ideas

At least they get fixed after making the transition to LN. Or at least, some of them.

I like the cast and the MC isn't bad. It's just that, why is there a skill for everything? Talking lvl 1, Breathing lvl 2, etc, such bullshit.

Also, the anime, my god that stupid voice for his younger self, holy shit.

>Too bad the plot nosedives

That's like most WN isekai writers

>MC reincarnates as a child of a loving family
>Author kills entire family leaving MC an orphan within the first 10 chapters.

I'm getting sick of authors ruining decently started series by doing this.

It goes with the medium. WN and LN are universally abysmal "literature".

It's an issue stemming from coming up with just a premise and no actual end goal. A common, easy one used to be "fulfill some goal so that you can return home to the real world", but now that isekai is predominantly either reincarnation or "I was a loser in the real world", it basically boils down to "live a comfy new life". This formula gets stale because authors focus more on coming up with a unique gimmick or premise and playing with it, but then realize it gets stale much too quickly without an actual goal to work towards.

>I'm getting sick of authors ruining decently started series by doing this.

So almost every Japanese author? (I'm serious, this goes beyond WN, LN and mangas)

Mushoku Tensei kill off MC family much later.
Seirei Gensouki start with MC family already destroyed.

It seems authors really loves killing family plot

Thats because none of them know how to actually write a story. They fill the early chapters with all these ideas they have and every kink and fetish they have for the girls and then when it comes time to move on from the initial power trip fantasy early bits and into the actual story they burn out because they already blew their load all over the early chapters and have no idea where to go with the story or characters. Thats why you end up with all these goal-less wandering MCs recently.

It also inherent with a medium that basically aim to milk a series as much as possible if it's successful, and the obligation to write stuff to follow the deadlines, even if it means filling half a volume with bullshit that plays absolutely no role in the story.

We need more female isekai protagonists

Appraisal and Skilltaker skill are the worst skill used in any isekai manga

This is more of a problem with web novels though. A lot of these isekai start off as publisher-less amateur creations uploaded to a popular writing site and get updated whenever the content creators feel like it.

Mushoku and Seirei atleast did it right.
>Examples of authors doing it poorly are Barrier Master, Creative Isekai and Isekai Shimai.

Yeah it sucks happened in nagai koto too which i started recently
Nah in MT its just part of the family not whole while his sisters, mother, Lilia, aunt, grandmother(which he meets later on) etc are kept alive throughout the story

>The average person doesn’t know shit about elements or molecular compounds
Surely general education in any developed country can't be this bad.
>Also magic has absolutely nothing to do with science
It does in any fantasy with concrete magic. Some fantasy (many epics, Tolkien, Touhou) describe magic very abstractly and mystically, but most often magic is at the level of generating matter. Kenja no Mago, in particular, even bothers to try to explain how some magic works.

noticed this too the worst ones definitely have to be where they're killed off in a few chapters I mean why introduce them at all?

you forgot one that is just as bad: "creation" magic that allows the MC to create any overbroken item or magic he wants, like in or pic related

I started reading Growth Log and heres to hoping the author doesn't pull the same thing despite the MC being a walking flag because of his title

Don't forget item box.

the spider used appraisal pretty appropriate though.

is it me, or the translation is awful in this one?

I need to dive in isekai manga hell (Around 50-75 series) and find all those shit skill

F A R A W A Y P A L A D I N

Isekai is not as bad as VRMMO where an ojiisan defeat pvp oriented player with his bow and kick.

I still read skilltaker because of the dogears maid she has cute design everything else is thrash and hopefully will get axed soon.

>People from Japan who get isekai'd almost always good guys
>There are no gaijin who get isekai'd

Well from the reviews it seems the challenges just make him stronger rather it being a curse.
How is that btw are you a raw reader? Sounds like very templatish stuff but I don't mind that particularly does it have something going for it or is it the standard wondering around doing whatever?

And when MC uses modern knowledge things go way too conveniently for them.
>I owned some air soft rifles
>this means I can perfectly reconstruct guns in the other world with magic
>I read a Wikipedia article about farming
>this means I know how to perfectly implement crop rotation and irrigation in a foreign land

>The skills I have don't look useful for battle anyways.
>Swordsmanship
>Hand to hand
>Analysis

She literally uses it on her own skills as a glorified help command/description.

>Why do American only ever write fiction about Americans being the protagonists?
>I am going to complain to Sup Forums and whine and scream all day.

Don't forget it usually involves making the locals EXTREMELY stupid. Like, way way dumber and less technologically advanced than medieval people in a similar society were in real life.

But then MC in Seirei Gensouki gets acquainted with his maternal grandmother and cousin as well as his paternal grandparents, not to mention his sister from his previous life got isekai'd too along with his childhood friend.

Too bad the isekai Japan characters basically got totally dropped from the plot.

First, that's not true. Just the majority.
Second, I don't go to Sup Forums

Too bad I live in Eurodebt.

>First, that's not true. Just the majority.

Then I am sure you can find one American fiction featuring reincarnation and don't feature an American main character.

Good hunting user.

Eh aren't those plenty too? just read summoned slaughterer if you want it being some psycho MC going on a rampage.