Grave of the WHO THE HELL CARES?!

This is the the most pretentious anime film I've seen in years.
>Melancholy atmosphere and music is set in to make you feel sorry for the sake of feeling sorry.
>The deaths of the two siblings felt overwhelmingly forced as fuck, especially with all the phoned in build up for the sake of feeling sad for how they died.
>Speaking of their deaths, had they just remained with the bitchy aunt, they may have survived longer, but NOOOOOOOOOOO. The dumbass brother decided that staying at the abandoned bomb shelter was a much "better solution" for a place to live, and just LOOK where that "genius" decision got them. Oh, I'm SO SURE the starvation of his sister was worth getting away from his aunt. Great job, Seita, you fucking mong!
>"I don't know how to contact my relatives." Regardless of the context of this line and the current conditions of the war at the time, I'm pretty damn sure there were other methods of contacting Seita's extended family, but the plot's desperate need to kill of these characters for the sake of generating depression within the viewer insulted my intelligence.
>I can't help but feel like this was more liberal Japanese propaganda to make people feel sorry for the Nips after the Allied Forces (mainly America) did to them during the Pacific War, even though that was entirely Japan's fault and they got exactly what they deserved. This film is just one of several "victim card" pieces posing as "art" to evoke a sense of moral judgement for the sake of evoking moral judgement (P-PLEASE FEEL SORRY FOR US! WE DIDN'T MEAN TO TAKE OVER ASIA INITIALLY! WE JUST WANTED CONQUEST, BUT AMERICA IS EVIL!!) Yeah, fuck off with that. The director can claim all he wants about the film "not being anti-war." I can smell a lie when I see one.
TL;DR The movie's far too self-gratifying in its forced melodrama and is overpraised intensively. It doesn't deserve such high marks desu.

k

Seems like you misunderstood who the MC was. Pic related.

remember nankin

The movie is based on a book which is based on the author's actual experience. Yes he was actually that dumb in real life.

remeber hiroshima ,nagasaki.

didnt read lol

You have a pretty childish view of what anti-war means.

Watch Barefoot Gen. That does anti-war better.

>you will never chance time again

>even though that was entirely Japan's fault and they got exactly what they deserved.
yeah, all those civilians totally deserved it, you fucking edgelord

edgy lord

Come back to Sup Forums when you 18, kid

to be fair, kids in general are pretty dumb.

>pretentious
Stopped reading there.

Which pretensions was it making?

And he then profiteered off the death of his sister which he caused by being a retarded prideful piece of shit?
Did someone at least kill him for that?

To be fair if the real life aunt was as much of a cunt as the one in the movie I wouldn't have wanted to stay with her either.

So you'd have let your sister die rather than go back or ask anyone else for help? I mean I know the movie and probably the book are commentary on the absolute savage shitty sociopathic state of Japanese society where they just leave kids to rot, but the kid isolated himself and his sister and essentially killed her. He should have at least left her behind with the aunt who consistently fed her rice before wandering out on his own.

Spot the american

In reality I probably would have sucked it up and gone back because I wouldn't be able to take care of myself in the wild, let-alone a sister, but that aunt was a massive massive cunt. Almost makes me regret that they picked Hiroshima instead of where she lived, at least within the movie's setting.

Geopoliticly USA and UK forced the war on japan.
Usa was 3rd reich of the region starting wars based on lies, Illegal anexation of Hawaii, colonialism etc.

OP is a brainlet

OP is an idiot, this movie is indeed overrated and commies aren't people.

lol

IIRC, this movie hits a lot harder if you have kids of your own. So that leaves everyone here, way WAY outside of the target audience. And I've never watched it for just that reason. Just chill out and accept that not all anime is made for you.

take your meds user

There's nothing more pretentious and overrated than using "pretentious and overrated" in a post to disqualify something.

(You)

>Id rather be a be a rebellious shit and make my sister slowly die of starvation than put up with an abusive aunt
all this movie made me feel was pure rage

He made the book so that another retard won't do the same shit.

It's allegory for Japan's actions.

>Another thread with a fifteen-year-old faggot who just want showing everyone how intellectually superior he is.

okey...

You forget who made up the brain trust whispering into the presidents ear.

Yikes be careful with that edge user.

I dare you to bring this thread to Sup Forums or /k/

If I ever was this stupid, thank god I was quiet enough not to boast about it.

F A G G O T
A
G
G
O
T

OP is just reading too deep into the work the author himself said that its just about youngsters being bad at making decisions and how it can get out of hand in adverse environments like war

>reading too deep
>that

Moaning ain't deep

People who say it's "Japanese war propaganda" are missing the point far too much. The specific conflict (Japan in WW2) isn't particularly relevant, since it has a universal connection, ie the setting could be changed to any country/war (even fictional) and still maintain impact. They are children. Children cannot think, control, or decide for themselves properly. The whole plot of the film is about being thrown into an unforgiving situation that was out of the children's control/understanding - this idea isn't limited to war either, it could be something incredibly minor, and still have personal relevance to the audience. The children are neither Allies or Imperial fighters. they don't care. They are simply only trying to survive the hostile conflict, because that's all they can comprehend. Not once in the film does it promote either side, because it isn't relevant. It doesn't need any serious political overtones (however, ww2 is an interesting topic, with plenty to mention), because the the conflict is already interesting enough. People who say that the film is anti-war are probably more correct (a claim denied by the director). My personal take on the film is that there are many things in this world that are simply beyond the control and understanding of a child, therefore it is a critique of the recklessness of society, if anything else.

So he gave it away for free and wrote it at a level little kids could understand and would read?

Reading OP made me regret not saving any brainlet reaction images.

America is cancer.

It's for the best, trust me.

While I strongly disagree with your assertion that civilian tragedy is somehow deserved, I agree with your other points.

I get that Seita ignorantly getting himself anf his sister killed is supposed to be the tragedy of it but I just felt frustrated. I could never feel sorry for a brat that ran away from a situation that wasn't even that bad.

Yeah thats the point.

Get off the internet, Brazil.

Make me fatty.

It's not even anti-war. This was just "You rotten spoiled brats, back in MY day", the movie.

Butthurt Amerifat

The worst part was that he had money in a bank account, you can see him withdrawing the cash at the end. She did not need to starve.

The vast majority of westerns misunderstand Grave of Fireflies, thinking it's anti-war propaganda, when it's obvious for anyone with at least a fragment of sensibility that's a criticism to isolationism and escapism.
Instead of watching and judging for what it is, americans generally interpret the film through their own stereotypes and preformed images. It's an extremely projective posture, which is further emphasized when they also start to curse Seita for his actions, saying he deserved to die and so on, showing that they are thinking more about themselves than about what the movie is actually trying to say while watching it, otherwise they wouldn't judge Seita based on their own current mindset, and would instead try to understand his situation as it is.

Americans are retards. Fact.

Fact.

It was made to tell the child audience going to watch Totoro that the war generation had it harder than them.

Funny thing is that the movie describes more the current generation than the 10's 20's old kids from the 80's. It's after all, about a kid that doesn't want to deal with his problems or other people, and in order to avoid unpleasant feelings he shuts himself away from everything, which ends up making the situation much worse, but once he's isolated, and as the time passes while he's in such situation, it becomes much harder to go back and face society. He's causing his own suicide, even if he doesn't realize that.

Was she really that cuntish? In the context of that era and stress from wartime?

god i hated this movie
i couldn't even feel bad for the main characters because of how retarded they acted all the time
it's his own fault that he and his sister died and they could have lived if they just acted like responsible human beings

There's nothing wrong with the aunt's actions. It was war time and everybody was trying to help each other's out to win. Just because Seita lost his mother doesn't mean he has the right to do nothing all day in the middle of a war while everyone provides him shelter and food.

>it's his own fault that he and his sister died and they could have lived if they just acted like responsible human beings
Literally the whole point of the movie.

i know and that's why it's bad

>If I can't relate, it's bad
It's an criticism to selfish and isolationist mentality. Seita could have solved his problems with communication and by facing situations that were unpleasant to him, but he choose escapism instead and thought he could run away from all the horrors of war and demands of his aunt by hiding himself away from the world in a cave.
It explores a theme which is even more relevant today than it was back then, and there's nothing wrong with that. You just dislike it because you can't relate to it personally, or can't understand.

This interview casts light upon a lot of doubts and misunderstands most people have about the movie. It's 5 pages long

F A G G O T
A...............O
G...............G
G...............G
O...............A
T O G G O F

>got exactly what they deserved
>give surrender to the americans a week before hand
>drop bombs on civilians anyway because russia is coming and china is about to take korea
hoo boy... american education everyone

>A movie can only be about one thing and one thing only
Art is open to interpretation by whoever is experiencing it.
You say it's a criticism to isolationist mentality, I see how it can be interpreted that way (though I wouldn't call Seita selfish like you're saying), some other people say it's a criticism to the weakness f younger generations, it could also be that way. The movie can also easily be seen as anti-war because it shows how children, who don't understand or can control what's going on around them, are still affected by the horrors of it.

Oh, and I'm not the guy saying it's bad, I actually like the film.

Is there some required buzzword list that 'anime critics' on Sup Forums download and check when they write shit like this I feel like I red this piece of shit with small variations 50 times in last few months.

>sympathising with the aunt
She was a fucking cunt, saying they don't do anything for the food she cooks, even though it was literally their food, earned by their mother's kimono sales, and that setsuko was a sick child unable to do work too.
Anyone sympathizing with their aunt is fucking disgusting.

>Art is open to interpretation by whoever is experiencing it.
Sure, but there are some interpretations which will be closer to reality, whereas others fall flat and won't manage to describe anything even close to what the work is actually portraying, or at least trying to portray.

I say Seita is selfish because he doesn't want to help his aunt out even though she's providing him shelter and food. He feels entitled to not work and to not to anything because he has his sister to take care of, even though the aunt and family would obviously help with that, and because they lost their mother. He's only thinking about himself, and not trying to understand the situation where he's in, and that many people lose their families just like him, but keep trying to help the country out in such a hard time.
He also doesn't try to even communicate with his aunt or to express the problems he has, he just shuts himself away because it's easier, and because she's being mean. It's obviously a self centered posture.

> some other people say it's a criticism to the weakness f younger generations
That's definitely accurate as well.

>The movie can also easily be seen as anti-wa
Sure, I just deny the anti-war interpretations for two reasons. Firstly, because war is more like the setting and background of the movie, it's the reason things are happening but most of the time, not the main focus. The main focus is the relationship between Seita and Setsuko and their actions in face of the situation. The second reason is that Takahata and the author said over and over again that the movie is not anti-war.

I'm not sympathizing with the aunt, I just said her behavior wasn't that out of the line for someone in that situation. She also said for Seita to work, not Setsuko, as far as I am concerned.

If you think the Grave of the Fireflies film was anti-war, you're a complete idiot.

>Sure, but there are some interpretations which will be closer to reality, whereas others fall flat and won't manage to describe anything even close to what the work is actually portraying, or at least trying to portray.
I agree with that.

>I say Seita is selfish because he doesn't want to help his aunt out even though she's providing him shelter and food.
He feels entitled to not work and to not to anything because he has his sister to take care of, even though the aunt and family would obviously help with that, and because they lost their mother. He's only thinking about himself, and not trying to understand the situation where he's in, and that many people lose their families just like him, but keep trying to help the country out in such a hard time.
But he's definitely helping out monetarily, and you're making an assumption here that the aunt's family actually cares about them beyond the generosity they can spare before starving themselves (and as we later see, the aunt takes a lot of the rice bought using Seita's money).

>He also doesn't try to even communicate with his aunt or to express the problems he has, he just shuts himself away because it's easier, and because she's being mean. It's obviously a self centered posture.
His aunt is shown to be just as self centered.

>Firstly, because war is more like the setting and background of the movie, it's the reason things are happening but most of the time, not the main focus. The main focus is the relationship between Seita and Setsuko and their actions in face of the situation.
And yet the event that placed them in such situation is the war. I'd say that it's even a criticism to the stubborn japanese pride that stopped them from surrendering, represented in Seita.

>The second reason is that Takahata and the author said over and over again that the movie is not anti-war.
I don't think they have any saying on how their work is interpreted, specially by other cultures.

We actually watched this in class. Our consensus was that on a factual level, Seita made basic mistakes in survival. But kids can't know about that sort of thing. Certainly he never thought his sister would die.

On a more figurative level, what Seita held onto was pride. Pride of the military. The will to die rather than to suffer dishonor. It was a reflection of many Japanese people then, willing to die for the emperor, with foolish optimism that somehow Japan would survive.

Yes, it's deep and you're retarded for not thinking more about it.

I still don't get why people don't think of Japan's suicidal sense of honor and pride during the war when they think of this.

>On a more figurative level, what Seita held onto was pride. Pride of the military. The will to die rather than to suffer dishonor. It was a reflection of many Japanese people then, willing to die for the emperor, with foolish optimism that somehow Japan would survive.

This is one of the reason I think of it as an anti-war film.

the aunt wasnt even abusive

>get a job you lazy shit instead of just sitting around eating our stuff all day
>"RRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ME NO WANNA ME WANNA PLAY WITH BABY SISTER ALL DAY"

>hey boy go sell your mother's stuff to buy rice, your father's money isn't enough
>our stuff

>if youre living with us and bringing in absolutely nothing but two mouths to feed then you can at least sell some of your shit
>abusive

>WAAAAHHH HOW DARE JAPANESE PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT GETTING NUKED WITHOUT BEING COMPLETELY OBJECTIVE ABOUT IT
Americans are the worst

>that's a lot of rice huh
>why don't you work, it's not like you're bringing any food to the table.
>fuck off while I feed my family
>not abusive

Totally agree with you user. Let's send another nuke there, we can also nuke China and Germany on our way.

Well what can you really expect from burgers?

>prioritising feeding your direct family instead of some kids who just showed up at your door
>abusive

theyre lucky they even got a fucking place to sleep

>Japan surrendered before the bombs
U what
Also, the Soviets invading sure went really well for Korea didn't it?

Shut the fuck up manbrat

Holy fuck, its like Sup Forums likes to shit on classics just to be edgy

Did even watched the movie? They never show war conflict in the movie, its not "hurr durr americans are bad, japan stronk durr", its just "war is shit and will affect everybody". Amercians are way to used to war movies with clear good and bad guys so they think this apply for any war movie put up by whatever country. If you think this movie had any bad guys (or good guys for that matter) you can only blame yourself and your dichotomous way of thinking about films that use war as background

What kind of bizzaro world is this?

>kid make bad decisions without judging the long term consequeces of his acts

Yeah, its almost like they made the MC a child

It's just americans.

>What kind of bizzaro world is this?
You were just an idiot who missed the point. The director Takahata has literally said on numerous occasions the movie is not an anti-war film, contrary to what retarded westerners like yourself thought.

Don't be stupid.
Surely Japan was a mirror of Seita, but that doesn't make it the MC.

You fucking losers don't understand you wouldn't have your moe shit with out that bomb so get fucked idiots.

>Japan makes cute girls to easy they pain from the nukes

Truly, cute girls are the future of mankind

>everytime someone shit talks the abomination that is GotF all these college freshmen stream into the thread telling them that "they didnt understand"
there used to be a point in time at which i thought that people were memeing, but it turns out that they actually are this retarded.

It's not an anti-war film.
It's a tragedy about two people with virtue that gets destroyed by a self-mistake.
Seita and his family were a top notch family because the father was a general or something. Too see a rich family fall into illness, shame and death because of their ideas is what makes this movie painful to watch. Their proud is what makes them fall, not the war.

Yes. This user gets it.