Will we ever see the return of cell animation in anime?

Will we ever see the return of cell animation in anime?

DBS is ending soon, so probably not.

>will we ever go back to the type of animation that isnt financially feasible anymore
yea, sure...

>cell

Never. It's all CG from here on out.

>Will we ever go back in time and change japan's anime artstyle, production and budget and economic status.

No, but digital tools can emulate inked lines, paint texture and color, and cel shadows. It's just that nobody does this.

No. Most animators working today aren't even familiar with those techniques anymore.

I'm more interested in whether any studio would want to try doing . But it seems like this generation's anime fan doesn't care for that aesthetic.

No.

No, but I would like to see a well-shaded, crisp anime where girls actually have noses.

No. Takes much more resources and manual labor.
But there probably be digital works that'll try to replicate the design and overall aesthetics of pre-2000.
At least really, REALLY hope so.

I hope so. Too many current designs just look too simplified, which doesn't always fit the content.

I would be interested in replicating the process from a drawfaggotry perspective but I haven't managed to nail down how to get the right feel for pictures. Studying a few high resolution scans of cels can only get you so far.

Analizing the old school process could be an option.

That is easy enough to replicate with layers, minus the compression artifacts and other elements of quality degradation screencaps tend to have.
Maybe adding noise filters or some stuff like that could give it the right feel since completely flat colour looks somehow "too neat".

It could work, the people from Stranger Things use a filter with the texture of 80s Stock film. To give it a more 1980s feeling to the show.

Or maybe it has to do with the tipe of camera they used to photograph the cels back in the day.

>film grain
I didn't manage to find good filters/patterns for that purpose that weren't tied to an expensive video edition software, which isn't the best thing for single images.
Pic related is a mock screenshot thing done for fun with another user. The background is a Macross Plus screenshot with some upscaling.
Note how clean it looks compared to an actual screenshot. The filename is just a bunch of in-jokes.
That boils down to the photo stock in use, which is the part that is difficult to simulate.

Some also boils down to art design. the plane in you mock up looks to detail for a show of the era. Compared it with this screenshot of macross even something as big as the ship doesn´t have that much detail.

Maybe it has to do with the painted look old cels had, maybe coloring with a brush could help get that hand made feel.

I certainly went into full autism mode in regards to panneling, you raise a good point. On the other hand I was looking at Patlabor 2 screenshots while drawing it.
>textured brushes
After a while they tend to result in uniform colour across the board, but I should mess around with it some more.

I think it's not the paneling per se that's the problem but how uniformly thick the lines are.
If you look at this then you can see that the lines for the surface detail are very faint and interrupted. It also looks more like someone drew the straight lines with a ruler rather than a line tool.

The line thickness issue was due to poor planning and successive downscales to get the 720p image, here's the source image.
Also they're actually freehanded.

Using colors matching with animes from the era might help. That red feels too bright.

Watch Shirobako, you newfag piece of shit.

Also, there's a full blown 4k movie done in cel animation. You should have supported it while you had the chance.

Another good point, thanks. The original picture was meant to be close to the liveries from Air Combat, a PSX game, but a bit more subdued. The fake screenshot idea came up later.

>Poster Minmei is a fucking Goddess
>Anime Minmei is anything but

I am confused.

What the fuck happened to the Megaroad?

Leave my wife alone.

>there's a full blown 4k movie done in cel animation
quick rundown?

Maybe he's talking about Kaguya Hime

Hikaru, you're married to Misa. Stop getting confused.

Wasn't KLK like 80% cel animation?

>Will we ever see the return of cell animation in anime?
You do realize. That form of animation is more expensive, right?

Cell > Digital

Prove me wrong

The plane looks completly out of place. Very different art style.

>cel shadows
but when?

Is this Royal Space Force?

It's literally in that post: Patlabor 2.

How should he fix it?

LMAO

How did cel animation work. Recently read that the first Lupin III movie only uses 218 colors? How?
Mahoujin Guruguru managed to look really oldschool.

As others postulated, maybe if they do it through filters and forcing a style, but in actually? No. No one makes those celluloid films anymore except maybe in small quantifies for hobbyists. But as far as capturing those cels, why do it on film when you can capture digitally in 4K? So the look still won't be right for true analog. It's just not the same as grabbing a film camera and shooting when you're a director given leeway like Tarantino or Nolan, I respect them for tooling with 70mm just because they can.

Layers (characters, objects, backgrounds, effects) are drawn on different cels, layered in a stack, and a 1/24th of a second frame is shot. Maybe 2 or 3 or that same setup depending on what the scene requires, then a small change to one of a few of the layers of cels is done, and a few more snaps of the camera. It's tedious, and that's just the shooting.

Bumping a comfy thread

How and why is it not financially feasible anymore?

They just found a way to pay even less to animate stuff. Cell animation didn't get any less feasible.

Because nobody manufactures cels on a large scale anymore and all studios have invested in digital technology which is more efficient.

please, most anime hardly make any money as is and still have severe issues delivering the episodes in time. if it wasnt for digital animation, anime like you know it wouldnt even exist. cel-animation takes way too much effort and resources, hence money. on top of that you need the raw material and tools, which simply arent easily accessible anymore. but thats a very minor aspect. digital animation, and cgi to support it, simply are a thousand times cheaper. even though that being the case, animators already receive shit pay. now take a guess how shit the pay would be if the production time would go up, yet the income/profits would remain the same.

He's talking about Gothicmade, but according to the last user I saw talk about this, that wasn't actually cels, they hand-drew it and then vectorized it.