What does Sup Forums think of the Aria series?

What does Sup Forums think of the Aria series?
Is it the most comfy anime ever?

Probably the best anime I have ever seen IMO. Origination had me in tears almost every episode.

>Is it the most comfy anime ever?
It's up there

The Origination is probably my favorite anime of all time.

I don't know user, I kept getting really strange vibes from Akari and Cait Sith's interactions. Other than that, it was comfy.

Over a decade later and I still firmly believe nothing will surpass Aria in my lifetime.

>I kept getting really strange vibes from Akari and Cait Sith's interactions.

Pussy seeking pussy.

It is.

It's the pinnacle of iyashikei.

Tied with Non Non Biyori.

>Tied with Non Non Biyori.
Three-way tie IMHO.

Origination is probably the best and most comfy anime I've seen, but Non Non Biyori comes close. Strangely enough Yuru Camp is looking to be up there as well. It's incredibly comfy so far.

It can either make you really comfy or cause a depression.

Its just shit, origination was decent though.

>depression

Mental illness is prohibited.

It's comfy af though sometimes I feel like all of the characters are unnaturally too well intentioned all of the time, and lack a certain malice that I would find more inherent to the human condition. But you could argue that it's escapism and it's not trying to imitate reality as closely so it doesn't necessarily break my suspension of disbelief.

Aika a cute CUTE

I can't bring myself to finish watching it ;-;

Are you saving the rest for a rainy day?

Or are you just avoiding the let-down that follows a glorious climax?

The latter.

I know how it feels, it took me few months to finish the last couple episodes and I cried like little girl. After you're done with the last episode it hurts a lot to realize that's it, there's nothing more to watch, like you've hit a wall and the strong emotions fill you. It's pretty depressing, but I think in the end it's definitely worth it to bring it some closure, at least it helped my overall well-being. Having said that, I've never rewatched Origination, I can't take it.

Yes. And Neo Venezia - world, where I want to live.

Animation and Natural: 9/10
Avvenire: 8/10
Origination: 10/10

I know that I'll be crying too when that last episode ends.

I appreciate it for what it is, but I wouldn't call it my favorite. Tend to enjoy Hidamari and Sketchbook more.

It's not really escapism, or at least not in the way you'd expect. The point of Aria is that you're seeing the world through Akari's eyes, where everything is beautiful and everyone is good. You could just as easily make a show about Neo Venezia through someone else's viewpoint, in which everything appears hollow and empty or even grim, and it wouldn't contradict the depictions in this show. The real Neo Venezia is in your mind.

That scene get's me every time.

Also that ghost that seemingly wanted to spirit Akari away. Aria was genuinely creepy sometimes.

it's my fav anime/manga, but it's a shame they didnt adapt the marriage of the sea chapter, that was one of my favs chapters

No, you see it from a objective 3rd person third viewpoint at all times, it not like Akari is some kind of unreliable narrator, not that she's even narrating it. What you see in the series is what everyone else would see.

Four-way tie.

Yuru Camp will end up in my top 10 SoLs if it continues at this rate of excellence.

Hidamari Sketch and Tamayura is better. Still good tho.

I disagree with you. I think the main point of the Aria series is that even in the midst of the incredible utopia that is Neo Venezia, people still have to deal with change, and the main tension in the entire series is the sadness we feel when things change, no matter how good they were or will be.

Non Non isn't anywhere near Aria.
Non Non isn't even really iyashikei, it's a comedy, slice of life with a few cute moments like K-ON was. It's not comparable to Aria or YKK.

Nah, you're wrong. It's iyashikei and it's ARIA's equal.

dekkai comfy desu, but they need to kill cait sith off, every episode he's in is shit

the epsiode where Akari almost gets taken to hell by a ghost lady for being a retard is kino

>love aria
>take the pilgrimage to venice
>it's an overcrowded, overpriced, poo-smelling shithole

Spent a fortune on getting there too

/blog

It's the best slice of life, not because it depicts a interesting perfect utopia, nor because the girls are all cute and likable, nor the good mix of fantasy and sci fi elements. It is the best slice of life because it shows a perfect gradual development of the main cast from insecure novices to wise and courageous people. The pace of it is so deftly woven into the three seasons that you won't even notice it until Origination rubs it in your face, and then the melancholy will hit you like a truck.

It's fantastic. One of my all-time favorites.
I want to savour it so much that after finishing the Animation I held off watching the rest for several years. Now I'm watching the Natural but only at the rythm of a handful of episodes a year.

Yeah, it's more of a comedy than Aria, YKK or Hidasketch. But I think it still counts as iyashikei, it's just in-between.

Is it really objective? Don't you remember that most of the episodes/chapters start with Akari writing a letter? Then the rest of the episode would then presumably be a paraphrasing of the contents of that letter.

Even if it's not, a story told in third person can change depending on the viewpoints favoured by the storyteller. Certain details can be elaborated, embellished, or obscured, to provide a narrative that is more sympathetic to some desired conclusion.

eehhhhh?

Really love a lot about this show. I had a few.complaints, though. The animation wavers between bad and non-existent. Aria-sancho's voice is incredibly annoying. The male characters felt like after thoughts. Like I said though, it's a good show.

*ruins the show*

Can you fucking blame him? Akari is the perfect woman.

>Aria-sancho
who the fuck is that?

God, I fucking hate that thing's voice. Took me right from comfy to noticeably agitated every time I heard it.

Nah. He's cute.

The "cat."

you mean Aria shachou?

>The male characters feel like after thoughts
Akari is a girl, who is single and not dating. She lives with an older girl. She is on good terms with everyone, but her closest friends and confidantes are girls. By no means is this situation anything out of the ordinary, and if you were reading a story about a person like this, it's no wonder the male characters seem like afterthoughts. I'm single and my best friends are all dudes, sometimes it seems like women are afterthoughts to my life.

I also used to be bothered by this setup in SOL until I realized this.

As if you didn't know that, asshole.

It is perhaps one of the eternal pillars of the comfy SOL anime genre but as the comfiest is much debatable. Even this season I would say there were a good number of shows which exceed it or are on par.

Where it edges out above other shows and shows its uniqueness are that it includes a timeline over the duration of the show and seasons and significant character development of many of the main cast. It also has little commentaries on life and perspective which many other 'comfy' shows lack.

Natsume Yuujinchou is comfier, desu.

>and lack a certain malice that I would find more inherent to the human condition.

I think the anime shows many negative aspects of the human condition - jealousy, self-loathing, depression and some others but there is always some foil or counter-perspective demonstrated by another character to bring the negative into the positive.

Was considering it myself. Thanks for the warning

There are shows that do this much better, though. Flying Witch and Amanchu are recent examples that I think did a better job of including male cast members. In Aria they feel forced, or rather just aren't very good characters.

Woody sure did sometimes, but the mailman, Akatsuki, and Albert definitely aren't.
Where would a regularly occurring man even come into the equation, you should be lucky you got those three as characters. Being an Undine is a female only profession, therefore her friends that she hangs out with all the time will be female, her mentors are female, and she's not in school so no male classmates, and she didn't grow up there so it's not like she could even have a male childhood friend.

Yep. This show would have a very different feel if Aika or Alice was the MC.

>Amanchu
Hardly better if you're talking about the anime. He's literally a punching bag for his sister that's a running gag.

Time to slowly read the manga and relive it all

Read it and weep

Hmmm, I read the manga more recently, so I may be remembering him more from that. I remember liking him.

Don't forget the people are the most rude assholes that you would meet anywhere in the world.

That's just anyone who lives in a densely populated city.

GOAT ost

It's unironically my favorite anime series.

Currently rewatching it for the 5th time.
Origination>Animation>Natural
Never liked the whole supernatural stuff with the cats in Natural, they went to overboard with it I think.

That's my order as well. Natural is still great though, just not as good as the other two.

I've never seen it, but I listen to the OST all the time. I guess I'll download it and watch.

Origination: 10/10
Animation: 9/10
Natural: 8/10

It is the greatest SOL and the only other one that comes close is YKK.

NNB, flying witch are definitely up there too.
Yuru Camp might make it up there depending on how things go.

>love ARIA and also have an interest in the history of Venice
>Take a pilgrimage to Venice in the winter
>Enjoy exploring the city, getting lost down alleys, seeing the major sights, spotting places from ARIA
>Enjoy the benefits of low season - lower prices, fewer tourists, and didn't run into a single stagnant canal

All comes down to personal experience - I've encountered much ruder people in Paris than in Venice. Venice is a difficult city to live in, and given how braindead some of the tourists act there I can forgive the locals for getting a little bit snippy.

Dropped the manga after a few chapters, not my thing. I found some chapters really engaging with thought provoking discussions or building up the world but some others were the opposite like the cat city or the fox funeral ghosts that did nothing for me personally.

It needs doujins that aren't the fat gross ones drawn by Maidoll.

Lewding the ARIAs is not allowed.

It is responsible for the single greatest piece of artwork ever to come out of dr/a/wf/a/g threads, or Sup Forums in general for that matter.

And the rare old timey photo version, complete with timestamp.

Nanoha if you're still out there, keep drawing man.

It's so comfy that I stopped watching it almost a decade ago someway into the second season so I could still savor it for a long time to come.

Amano lewds them herself with all those buttshots and skintight clothing.

I just wanna say, to all you who are afraid to finish Aria because then it will be over, don't be. Aria is one of those shows that benefits immensely from a second viewing.

Also Athena is the best girl.

wait a sec, those were drawn by a drawfag?

How would you describe Shojou Shuumatsu Ryokou? It's not exactly healing, but it has a certain tone that's not easy to place, sort of like Haibane.

Not him. Google Mono no Aware.

Literally years ago. At least 7. I haven't been in drawfag threads for that long as well, so I have no idea if he's even still around.

fucking Nice, I always thought they were Amano's work. it's nice to knnow that there are great drawfags out there

Nanoha was one of, if not the best, in my opinon. I remember checking the threads every day, occasionally he would post some of his WIPs which I also saved.

I mean just look at this shit.

And this one. I had another, from the very beginning but to my dismay, the image got corrupted somehow. It was really interesting to see it all come together.

Haibane is different, the Mono no Aware and Yumen concepts are present but are subverted. Meaning it shares the calm and subdued atmosphere of something like Aria and YKK but with a slightly creepy/uneasy tone in the first half. The second half goes full drama/melodrama to highlight the painful self-rediscovery of the two mains and how they effectively cope with their internal struggles through empaty and self-sacrifice to offer a contrast between the submissive nature of the setting (which in Haibane's case feels hypocritical) Iyashikei works tend to have.
Haibane Renmei should be seen as a mix between Aria/YKK/Mushishi and NGE.

Sora no Woto is Haibane Renmei done right.

the drawfag from the yuyuyu threads is also pretty good. he's like bunbun 2.0
wrong, both are great

I couldn't bring myself to watch the last episode of Origination for 2 years. When I finally got round to it I cried like a little bitch and felt terrible for days.

Haibane Renmei is leagues above Sora no Woto, don't kid yourself.
Cute girls/comfy + edge is all they have in common, the main difference is that Haibane Renmei is a transcendantal masterpiece of self-acknowledgement and self-acceptance. The meme is kinda funny though, I don't mind it.