Edgy?

How do you consider if an anime is edgy?
How can you tell if a violent or horrible scene is edgy?

For example I dont think the stuff with Riko's arm in Made in Abyss is edgy, that my opinion.

It basically depends on whether 16 year old bullied kids think it's the most awesome thing ever.

so basically whether Sup Forums likes it

Like all the scenes of Elfen Lied

WOW...

Lord help us all

>Made in Abyss is fucking stupid because they would get eaten.

Made in Abyss is certainly edgy in the fact that it presents avant-garde and arguably experimental shit with the abundance of little girl tits and piss. But that scene in-particular wasn't really edgy.

truth

>facebook
How does Sup Forums do it?

Hmmm... I agree with you

it's edgy if it tries to appeal to the largest audience possible by using themes like violence or gore

People over exaggerated how "edgy" MiA was.

Fuck you!

Edgy like every other word retarded faggots pick up has been misused and now is used mostly by fucking pansies whenever they see even a little bit of gore in a medium.

But its not even that gory. The child experiments scenes were fucked up but I expected something like a child death every other episode with how much idiots were hyping it up.

Back to Sup Forums you go

Don't think about that, just enjoy your shit.

If it's groundbreaking in some way or challenging the norms of its medium and culture. Keep your insecure meme meaning to yourself

Basically:
If it have violence, sex, etc and you didn't liked it, that's edgy.
If it have violence, sex, etc and you liked it, it's not edgy.
I hope that cleared it up.

I want newfags to leave

Edginess is gratuitous violence or gore for the sake of it or in an attempt to appear cool.

Oh and add unwarranted sexual scenes or simplistic philosophical reasoning/political opinions.

Well for me if the setting is dark then it's a dark setting, but if something happens in a not so dark setting that turns on the edge o meter to 11 then that's edgy.

Huh this is the best answer I've seen all day

/thread

>How do you consider if an anime is edgy?
There are two kind of edge. The edge people like, and the edge people dislikes. So it is pretty much like how people hate the anime or like the anime as usual.

Edgy can be anything that is about an asshole who happens to be a hero with cynical viewpoints.

>Not getting the point DmC was a big stab at the edginess of the original series.

That explains why nobody liked the reboot while the original is still beloved.

If something dark or violent happens for no purpose other than to provoke a reaction from the audience. Obviously there's almost always a reason, but it's more about whether or not it served the characters and fit naturally within the setting. Riko's broken arm had so much foreshadowing that it would be out of place if something awful didn't happen, and it highlighted both Riko's resolve for pushing forward and Reg's inability to act on his own. It was an experience the characters grew from and pushed forward through while showing the abyss is just as dangerous as it should be.

Will Tsukushi think of of a 7th layer curse more interesting than "you instantly die"?

You are physically unable to move up. That or have it tear the mind and soul apart

The 7th layer's curse is that you lose all will to ever leave the abyss.

original games were not edgy at all, it's '90 radical shit meets castlevania

Delete this.

Once you get to the center of the world it's still an instantly death but you don't know which way is up or down. FORESHADOWING.

The abyss doesn't go to the center of the world. It is relatively small.

If there's any conflict or blood or violence. Basically if it isn't CGDCT it's edgy.

This

Probably has something to do with souls. Maybe the 7th layer is an entire maelstrom of spirits of those who have died in the abyss while delving down or during the cycles.

>powerfantasy
>everyone has a dark and troubled past
>lots of angst and suffering
>almost none of it is justified

If you go up on 7th layer, you explode. Not as in gore everywhere, you nuke the abyss. On average that happens once every 2000 years.

How do you think things would have changed had Reg not fucked up the amputation?

i remember nothing from that show.

Well yeah? That's basically what I said.

If you go down to the seventh layer you stop being able to move up relative to the seventh layer's curse. Every time you go up the entire abyss goes further down.

My assumption was always that that was a best guess; people assume the 7th layer's curse is "You Just Fucking Die" because nobody's ever come back from it in 2000 years of recorded history.

Yep.

i loved the remix

Anything like Akame Ga Kill with cartoonishly evil shit or those dime a dozen shitty isekai with bullying. I'm disappointed that Sup Forums STILL falls for the retarded "Beta bitch boy isekai MC is bullied/betrayed before getting his epic SSS rank faggot skill" and gets his revenge

When it deliberately uses those elements to overcome other shortcomings in the story or uses it in an attempt to draw attention to itself, it's edgy.

If it's a natural progression of the story, it's just that. The story. Riko's arm, Casca/Griffith lovin', Chapter 30 of Killing Bites, etc.

Killing Bites? What is that?

There is no such thing as edgy

the horror in MiA not supposed to be "cool".
Some animes, like NGE, use their gore scenes as the gratuitous climax/reward.
in MiA, you don't actually want horrible things to happen.

it's very related to this thread

how so? all i know is that the thingy almost died somewhere in the last ep and that there was a mini shinigami.

But I liked Hellsing and acknowledge that it's edgy.

The abyss is a black hole. The ring of light at the mouth of the 7th layer is the event horizon. Once you pass it, you're done.