Question:

Question:

Why are stoic sort of a trope popular in Japanese series? Stoic characters are very rare in American media. Is it simply that more Japanese have more stoic type people than America does?

To paraphrase from somewhere else on the internet:

It is a battle between reaction and caution. Caution is borne of thought, compromise, and deliberation; it is never attractive and gives the appearance of weakness. Reaction is a passionate salvo against whatever bothers you at the moment, and feels good and shit until you catch a bullet in the lung.

There are a good amount of stoic characters in Western media. I think you mean introverted characters and I think it's because Japan has a more introverted society in comparison to America, which is more extroverted.

>Stoic characters are very rare in American media.

Different target audiences, I suppose.

You had to grab an example from decades back.
Think about that for a second.

Thanks for proving my point, literally an unofficial remake of a Japanese movie.

No I mean, stoic characters. They exist, I don't deny they don't exist in American media. But they are very rare. Almost every show in Japan has a stoic character.

How old is the franchise for batman and superman?

>Almost every show in Japan has a stoic character.
What the hell are you talking about this isn't true at all in the slightest.

How many examples before you realize you're wrong?

I don't watch a lot of movies, or Japanese movies for that matter, but from the western cartoons I've see , it follows the same shit as a jap one.
>mc is hotblooded inspirational
>rival is either stoic foil or doppelgänger

There's not a lot of cartoons pumped out as there are anime, and comics are typically focused on one person with villians of the week, so they never get a cast like typical shonen.

Blade runner 2049 too
Really any gosling movie
Terminator
Blade runner 1
Matrix

Tommy Lee Jones is stoic in virtually every movie he's ever been in.

American media has lots of stoic characters, they're usually the mentor of the cast.

You can post as many instances as you like, what I'm saying is that the trend doesnt favor these types of characters as main characters

Watch more american movies

Just admit that you were wrong

Never!

Stoic MC's aren't as popular as you think, anime mains tend to be more like pic related.

This. I think OP is confusing introversion and/or timidness with stoicism, and even then I'd say that's more exclusive to harem/romance genres because it's a deliberate decision to make the protagonist easier to self-insert as. Stoic protagonists are far rarer in other genres of manga, such as Shounen, where courageous, outspoken, and assertive protagonists (usually with a stoic partner, ally, or rival) are far more popular.

They are essentially a Buddhist culture

Meh, might as well join in, although on a more different note.
I've always felt like the American people have a persona, a facade; that they're not showing their true selves in front of people. Even the Russians have noticed that, and have given it a name: "the American Smile" - which is hollow and meaningless. You people say that Eastern Europeans are "depressing" to look at, but at least they feel human from my perspective; looking at you people rubs me the wrong way. It's like if you show your true selves, the world would end or something. I'm aware that the american people on Sup Forums are slightly different than the american norm, but I'm sure that they do this as well.