Re: Zero GOAT

Re: Zero would be really good if it didn't pander to weebs obsessed with little anime girls. Subaru's powers and development were really good but Rem/Ram, the trap, Emilia, etc. make it too hard to recommend to people you actually know. What do you guys think?

nice bait

nice blog faggot

MC made me cringe more than once, the main appeal for me was finding the good path in each timeline

I actually agree, seeing mc change is a rare thing in anime. They usually tend to repeat 1 gag for whole season except the finale where something happens but everything goes back to normal afterwards.
I consider Re:zero to be top tier solely because of suffering and despair that mc is experiencing and overcomes

Pretty good series, it's a shame every second character is a loli

Subaru reminded me way too much of myself. He's a pretty worthless fucker. There was a nice scene where he is taught to sword fight - his instructor stops when it becomes clear that Subaru doesn't actually want to learn; he just thinks that 'wanting to learn to use a sword' is the expected thing for him to do, so he goes through the motions and pretends to enjoy it even though he is just putting on a façade.

I found the show kind of painful to watch, to be honest. I don't think I could rewatch.

Beatrice, Felt, Mimi (the latter two being basically irrelevant), in a pretty large cast. It's not even close to "every second character".

Where do you think you are?

>Subaru's powers and development were really good

I think you're a retarded faggot. Re: Zero's biggest problem (both as an anime ands a light novel) is its pacing. We should've met the other royal selection candidates in the second arc. The third arc didn't need to be so fucking long. It didn't need to have one entire book about a fucking whale fight that only actually mattered to a character we basically just met and who never does anything again. Subaru had literally no reason to just do everything right as soon as Rem re-inspired him. If all the chaff was cut out, then we could've had a few more loops of him fucking up how to resolve the third arc but getting better at each time until he just knows what to do.

Subaru isn't a great character and neither is anyone else in the series, but if it was paced better, it could've been a 5/10 or maybe even a 7/10 instead of a 3/10 at best.

This, Subaru is the definition of cringe

Rem's crazy fanbase can ruin the show for a lot.

So you care about the fanbase and not the anime/LNs
Great, dumbass

> a fucking whale fight that only actually mattered to a character we basically just met and who never does anything again.

We met him at the beginning of the arc, i.e. quite a while before the fight happened. And he definitely does a lot more stuff later on in the story. It also mattered to Crusch, and all the war veterans who joined themselves to them.

> Subaru had literally no reason to just do everything right as soon as Rem re-inspired him.

He didn't do everything right. He let Rem basically die, and he failed at his first attempt against the witch cult.

I think the series has a very good premise but it ends up being totally ruined by the waifu pandering. It would of been so much better if it were to take itself more serious, make other characters less fictional and more grounded like Subaru.

Reminder that his spazz fest at the castle was his 'normal' in the WN and that the LN/Anime toned him down in all the scenes until then.

Why did it have to go full blown shonen? It was fun for the first couple of deaths, then it went downhill, then all the potential queens gathering with Subaru sneaking in was the absolute shit cherry on the cake.

>grounded like Subaru
I've never seen a cringy faggot like Subaru in my 23 years. He is realistic often times but he's also unrealistic just as many times. Just rewatch ep 1 and pay attention.

Petra, Mei Li, arguably Anastasia, the Lewes Meyers, Typhon, Annerose, Liliana...

Yeah, if we include the novels there's more lolis. But also a lot more non-loli characters. They're like what, 10% of the cast? And most of them are irrelevant.

Subaru is a faggot that is obsessed with anime and constantly clings to false hope and reality. He's supposed to be cringy. I don't think he is any different from other otakus out there irl.

The pacing you suggested would be horrible. Re:zero is already always super convenient but you try to make it even worse. Why not give Subaru an item that let's him just summon jesus-kun Reinhardt? The pacing is fine and the whale fight was pretty good for demonstating Subaru's ' no giving up' mentality though I agree that the old man's backstory was misplaced. I also agree that it would have been better if he failed at least once after Rem's speech but it's not that unrealistic that he'd succeed after that speech because he had all the information he needed after the previous tries.

He's supposed to be a realistic cringelord but he's not realistic, he's just a cringelord. His obsession for that elf girl is even worse

Do you miss cases where otakus constantly send death threats to idols in nipland? Many people with their obsession can be that dumb.

these are psychopaths who have been obsessed for years, Subaru just met her

Well things tend to be a bit more exaggerated in anime. Plus, Emilia was everything for Subaru after he got transported to another world and had no one to rely on.

yeah after like 2 hours, come on man are you really gonna try to defend that?

you're acting as if he wasn't happy to be in that fantasy world and suffered there for days/weeks before Emilia "saved" him

I mean, he was happy in another world. He just got even happier after meeting Emilia for the first time and having his heart completely taken by heart as she was literally everything he wished for.

Notice how unrealistic and forced that sounds?

It doesn't? She's basically his wish-fulfillment. Everything about her appeals to him. His dream waifu. Of course a lonely otaku would immediately fall in love with such a thing.

It's just the setup that is unrealistic. I totally understand the idea of a cringy otaku boy fawning over his idol that the story tries to convey so I'm cool with that.

He was designed to mock the target audience, and he acts inconsistently because of lazy editorial meddling.
That's a demerit to the series, but not to the author.

He's been obsessed with silver-haired anime waifus for years, though. When he meets her and she seems at first to meet these stereotypes, he treats her as if she were his 2d waifu and he'd known her for years (hence the 'tan' after knowing her for like 2 hours).

read what you just wrote and say again that it's realistic and not forced, wtf man

Yes, Subaru's reaction to Emilia is believable given the way he was characterized. There's nothing forced here.

I guess that's my biggest problem with that setup. It happens so fast and without any development or exposition so it fails at making me care about it. The author is just that bad I guess.

This is all explained by witch magic, and Subaru is perfectly compatible with Witch shit. He's not familiar with her but there is something inside him that makes it seem like he is
>meeting royal candidates in second arc
No. The first 2 arcs are a sort of prologue to introduce us to the world Subaru lives in, as well as subtly foreshadowing future enemies such as Roswaal and potential threats such as the organisation Meili belongs to.
Without Arc 2 the Arc after the third wouldn't make any sense. It lays the groundwork for the setting which future arcs do expand on.
>Third Arc didn't need to be so long
It was an arc that was intended to wake up Subaru as well as introduce the lingering threat known as the witch cult, less episodes would make this feel more rushed then it already was.
>from a character who never does anything again
This just proves that you have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

He's definitely an anime only or wiki reader for sure. Not that I'm going to defend the shitty LN (WN is superior) but those criticisms are pretty baseless once you read about Arc 4,5 and 6

He was never characterized that way so what are you talking about? The only characterization he had at that point was that he had no friends, knew some anime and went to the gym. Where does the 'obsessed with silver haired girls' bs come from? Again, you're acting as if a) he's an obsessed psychopath or b) was alone in that horrible fantasy world for a long time. Both are wrong and so is your posting.

Dumb idiot.

>obsessed with silver haired girls
Arc 4 during the Sanctuary trials

By the way this story is set for eleven arcs. So all the world building managed to occur in less then 50% of the story, pacing fags btfo

>witch magic again
If it were that strong and deliberately made Subaru fall in love with Emilia, why couldn't it stop him from abandoning h in arc 2 and 3? Seeing his shitty and scummy behaviors against Emilia in many cases leads me to believe that his feelings for her are actually genuine. Otherwise, he would've just obeyed her like a dog every single time.

here's the problem, anyone can make a shit start and then try to fix it later with some flashbacks but it doesn't change the bad start.

>He believes is for Emilia and not Satella
Sure thing user.

Yeah it's called Groundhog day.

You see his old room in a not-quite-flashback. Later. You're absolutely right to say the characterization hadn't happened yet.

>Where does the 'obsessed with silver haired girls' bs come from?
Uh oh, someone didn't read the source material.

>it's genuine because he keeps shitting on her by abandoning her and breaking promises with her
user, really now? Just take a second and think again.

I've heard good things about Edge of Tommorow.

read again, or better read it 10 more times, at least the other user has a functional brain. I would rather only talk to him from now on.

>Rem/Ram, the trap, Emilia, etc.
None of them are bad though. They all have quite a bit of story behind them. Stop clinging to appearances. Read the novels.

You're asking for an explanation of a character's motives and thought process straight away. That's not how it works or should work. It's supposed to be discovered as the story progresses (as the other posters have shown).

Re Zero pandering to autistic weebs isn't a bad thing, it brings more followers and the popularity rises so that the author can keep writing

It means that Subaru doesn't completely understand Emilia and instead does things in the way that he thinks fits best. That's some natural development between a couple right there. It takes time before they could truly mesh together. On the other hand, if Subaru were under influence of some witch voodoo shit, he would have always obeyed her and never broken shit.

you know how much better it would have been if the manga Subaru had in his hand in the very first scene just had a silver haired girl on it? I think thst the author just didn't care enough at the beginning and only started to think about it when it was already too late. Too bad.

Just finished this a few days ago and what a ride. I actually liked Subaru and his progression with each of the characters. The only thing I didn't really like is how two faced all of the characters were. Like everyone was an asshole to him at one point or another and unless he had inside info on each of them, they never would have given him the time of day.

I do have several questions though;

Why did Emilia tell Subaru her name was Satella at the very beginning? Like are her and Puck directly related to the Witch, or is the Witch just a half elf like Emilia and that's it?

Why was Subaru brought into this world and given an All You Need is Kill power? If the Witch did it from the get go, it's kind of counter productive right?

Will there be a S2?

is school done for the day already?

Not having an explanation straight away for one of the character's motives doesn't make a "shit start". It instead makes for a compelling story, where you discover who the characters are (and see them evolve) as the story goes on.

Understanding is another word for love. You're right, he doesn't understand Emilia. And you don't have to be a mindreader or a genius to know that breaking promises is no good.

that's what foreshadowing is for my boy

Witch magic is extremely strong. The powers granted by the witch factors (the source of where the witch shit comes from) are that which magic in their world is unable to replicate.
There are 9 witch factors. Envy, Pride, Sloth, Greed, Lust, Gluttony, Wrath, Vainglory and Tristitia. Satella possesses envy, but somehow grows incredibly powerful with it and swallowing half the world with it. Powers granted by the authorities really depend on the desires of the holder. The Witch of Sloth (the previous carrier of the sloth factor) was the second strongest of the 9 Witches yet Betelgeuse (the new carrier) is the weakest. The Witch of Greed doesn't have that much of a remarkable authority, yet the new carrier the Archbishop of Greed is the third or fourth most powerful character in the setting, and before getting it he was just a rebellious teen with family issues.
What I'm trying to say is that depending on the circumstances, Authorities are extremely powerful and it's not wise to underestimate them.

No point in watching anime if you can't stomach it pandering to people that regularly watch it.
You either suck it up or drop the show.

Which is exactly what the first 2 arcs did in that regard.

People make mistakes all the time bruh. Chill out. Fight between couples, especially between the married ones, is pretty common, you know.

yeah like cheating and stuff, happens all the time mostly because there was no love between the couple to begin with

Subaru will never cheat on Emilia. What they argued over were just common things.

>Why did Emilia tell Subaru her name was Satella at the very beginning?
She just wanted to scare him, but it didn't work
>Like are her and Puck directly related to the Witch
Emilia no But Puck may
>Witch just a half elf like Emilia and that's it?
Unless the writter goes the hack-way, its like that But maybe can change
>Why was Subaru brought into this world and given an All You Need is Kill power?
We never got explicity the reason for why and that is for a grand scheme nobody knows yet
>Will there be a S2?
I hope not

HAHAHAHA

why did Frodo have to take the ring to be destroyed? that's bad writing if they don't address everything like an encyclopedia.

>well he has an adventurous bloodline and hobbit don't care enough about status to be tempted

huh, too busy speed reading and calling this story shit to care

pic related it's my argument

Sure, he is not gonna be the knight of anyone else.

>will never cheat Emilia
here comes the self- inserting Emiliafag, oh boy.

>I love Emilia
>Let me be your second wife, Subaru-kun Okay
Subaru and Rem have the most pathetic "relationship".

I'm so sorry user but I have bad news for you.

>didn't happen that way
down you go

I'm a source reader. I know what you want to say. It won't happen.

>Let me be your second wife
Fuck Rem is pathetic. Her fans too.

Nobody knows why. Perhaps a construct of Satella managed to get free? The first time he reincarnates is a strange one, perhaps it won't be answered until the final arc
The witch is a half elf who looks exactly like Emilia. It's partially the reason why Subaru is so attached to Emilia in the first place, there is some sort of reincarnation or witch fuckery going on forcing an attraction to her.
This isn't the first time someone from Japan was taken to the Re:Zeroverse. There are 4 people who have, the founder of the Japanese like country Kararagi, Al, Flugel the Sage and Elsa's ancestor (apparently black hair is not a natural trait in that world). Al was also granted a looping power and similarly has a sort of attraction towards Satella
All we know about Satella's motivations is that she wants to kill herself.

>I love Emilia
>he says that after literally giving up on saving her
>there are people who believe him
Guess Rem is smarter than you.

Unfortunately for you Rem is quickly coming to occupy the first place spot.

It already happened. He loves Rem.

BTFO and he'll never know for sure because he's too much of a brainlet to learn how to read

Ok, who resurrected the speed-readers/watchers Emiliakeks?

I repeat, Subaru and Rem have the most pathetic "relationship". Subaru doesn't love Rem. He loves Emilia. Rem is his sex toy.

He will compromise and choose Emilia.

the curses which are still attached to subaru, roswaal's mysterious goal, what the hell the witch cult wanted with rem and ram, beatrice's true identity, meili, the red oni who laughed, satella's shadow, etc.

>can't even quote correctly
>has literally no arguments
>starts to act like a 5 years old
>calls others pathetic
fucking kek

Flugel is Subaru. Al might be too. Time travel hijinks.

>source reader
Bitch I bet you cant tell the difference between the immortality experiment and the immortal kings sacrement if it was thrown at your face. Good luck convincing people about Subaru not two timing when the narraration itself says he is.

Has envy having a witch factpr ever been confirmed?

Emiliafags are at it again.

Well he sure as hell is treating his "sex toy" better than Emilia.

>I bet you cant tell the difference between the immortality experiment and the immortal kings sacrement
90% of anons in Re:Zero threads can't.

I already stopped following this series before the Ex novel even came out so of course I wouldn't know that shit. I will only come back when Emilia wins.

>he thinks love is about choosing
dude Subaru "chose" Emilia in ep 1, guess who's first decision was always the wrong one. He already rejected Rem and then confessed to her 2 days later. It's over for Emilia.

>Has envy having a witch factor ever been confirmed?
>Envy having a witch factor?
Ok user, what are you on?