Am I the only person who hates this?

Am I the only person who hates this?

As a gag manga it's unfunny, and its gimmick virtually removes all tension it could have as a battle shounen. Its characters aren't particularly well written either. I think people only like it because of Murata's art work and because the bald man with a cape has reaction image/meme potential.

>As a gag manga it's unfunny
powerlevel killed the fun back when he was fighting nobodies shit was hilarious.

I honestly don't think I ever laughed at it, but different people have different senses of humor.

I do not like it so I didn't watch much of it. The fans fawning over it is vaguely annoying, but it's no DBS shitposting so whatever.
Why bother hating it?

I stopped keeping up with the manga a while ago, but the anger still burns in my heart because of the annoying fanbase.

I still read it because its decent and the art is nice to look at, but in retrospect I guess you're right. I don't really care about how some random character will muster the power to fight whomever, because the world/plot itself lacks any real impact. Its like watching action figures smash into each other under a kid's rushed premise

I would guess because it still fulfills the power fantasy of shounen. What shounen shows really have tension anyways?
>oh jeez, I wonder if in next week's chapter Goku will be able to use his new powers to beat the new bad guy
The fight scenes (I watched it, haven't read it) are well produced, and the absurdity of Saitama being the strongest thing alive kept me interested. It was pretty boring to me for the first half, but watching Saitama deal with a disconnect because of his strength, which simultaneously being ignored by anyone who was important, that was amusing to me.

If you don't like it, I can see why. It's pretty okay at best, and kind of lives off the style and hype.

A big part of OPM's success is a big part of bad shounen's success generally: introduce a bunch of cool character designs and make readers curious about what their powers are.

>gag manga
it's a """parody""", you fucking retard. It's entertaining because it mocks the shitty writing of cape shit.

It is the best shonen of this decade. The others comes as being pretty generic and playing safe while OPM managed to stay cool, fresh and fun consistently. It also helps that the guys who are physically powerful actually have the body build that backups their claim to power unlike how most shonen have slim pretty boys and girls who hits harder than people with actual muscle mass.

>What shounen shows really have tension anyways?
In better shounen, there are emotional undercurrents to the immediate struggle, protagonists are not always guaranteed to overcome the immediate struggle, protagonists overcome the immediate struggle by doing something novel or interesting, or characters have a real shot of dying or being permanently changed.

Maybe OPM changed since I dropped it, but I don't really remember any of that being true. Character relationships and personalities weren't interesting or deep enough for their struggles to be emotionally affecting, and most fight scenes were straight up braindead. Again, maybe it improved since I dropped it.

>It's entertaining because it mocks the shitty writing of cape shit.
No it's not. The manga's gimmick is superficial and loses its novelty in about five chapters. OPM very rarely pulls off intelligent subversions of super hero/battle shounen tropes, and is generally pretty unfunny.

You like it instead of Naruto mostly because people said it was okay to like it. OPM is at least as bad.

I would say that most of its success comes from the alternatives being fucking awful. dragon ball is pretty much all about powerlevels and power ups and is the most generic shit of this batch of shonen, ditto with naruto, one piece started with an interesting premise but burned itself fairly fast, and black clover and hero academia are pretty much naruto 2.0. I remember there were other fighting shonen as well, but those are literal whos that had explosive popularity at first but few people cared about them once the initial hype died.

This. One Punch Man is the only action manga I read. I mainly keep with up with it because of Murata's artwork and because I just find it as a comfortable read.

I sincerely believe that One Punch Man is among the worst of those series that you listed, at least among those I've read or watched a little bit of (haven't finished any of them. Also I'm curious what you mean by "this generation" when you're throwing in Naruto and DBZ. Do you mean Super and Boruto? If you mean the last thirty years, good shounen have come out in that time).

The thing is i already know the result of battles in majority shounens. Naruto can't die, Goku can't die, Gon can't die, Gintoki can't die, because their plotarmor too strong. But every time authors pull a new bad guy to a scene they pretended like he could kill MC. Can you imagine the new strong villain appears and Ichigo die and this is the end, Bleach now without him? In OPM I know already MC wouldn't die in this fight, but i'm intrested what he gonna do with his power. After fight with Boros Saitama get bored and disbelieved he can meet the worthy opponent. The main point is he think what to do next with his life, not waiting new boss of the week.

>tension
Who cares about that?
This manga's appeal is how scenes are delivered. The art is very nice and the page composition compliments it well
The fights are interesting because each character exposes his different techniques and creates good visuals (and music in the anime), not because you actually care who is going to win

This honestly.

I don't think people know what OPM is about or what kind of tone it's going for. They see certain elements and their brains go on autopilot instead of figuring out what they're reading/watching.

What is OPM about then? What kind of tone is it going for?

Mob Psycho was better.

It was shit

dubs of shit

>but watching Saitama deal with a disconnect because of his strength, which simultaneously being ignored by anyone who was important, that was amusing to me
Congrats, you just understood OPM, as opposed to a majority of "It's a parody XXXD"

yes you're the only one.

One of the things people gloss over is how the story is set in what is pretty much the eve of the apocalypse. The planet is gradually being overrun by mutants, asteroids are falling out of the sky, the capital city is nuked by aliens, nature itself is spawning monsters to wipe out humanity, etc. And shit's violent, characters don't just die they explode into a bloody mist with brains and entrails flying everywhere. The world of OPM is pretty grim when it's not from the viewpoint of 'the strong'. It's not a gag setting where anything goes, Saitama is absurdly powerful but he's not a living cartoon. He's not silly, there's a nightmarish quality to how being invincible has made him utterly uninterested in the fate of human civilisation. The city block he lived in was deserted by civilians fleeing the destruction, and he barely noticed. A lot of the S-class is like him in that they don't seem to care that the human species faces potential extinction.

>It's a parody XXXD
That's all of Sup Forums, who will also insist Superman can beat Saitama

Even in this very thread there are people insisting on it though

i dont think I've ever seen this much retardation concentrated in a single thread.

I hate it too.

Those elements are there but still completely in the background.
I wouldn't mind it getting serious to explore that.

I, at least, read it only for the art and the fight scenes. I couldn't care less about the characters and it's generally really boring. Also, the only funny parts are the ones with King.
But god this art, it's just perfect for an action manga and I wish it wasn't wasted on a shitty battle shounen.

It's not 'the end of the world', it's only the natural consequences of putting every hero and every villain of fiction to have ever existed in the same country. In the morning you have an alien invasion, at lunch it's a mutant attack, in the afternoon a kaiju is destroying the city, etc. These threats seem to be getting bigger and bigger because the author needs to find a new 'challenge' for his heroes and not bore the reader. Having a shitty little monster attack children in the public park can work once, but you can't just do it again for every new chapter.
You're supposed to suspend your disbelief and find it normal that civilians are going to work as usual when an alien was going to blow up the earth the day before.

>You're supposed to suspend your disbelief and find it normal that civilians are going to work as usual when an alien was going to blow up the earth the day before.
The most recent Murata chapter is the opposite of this. Also, most of A-City's population died so they definitely aren't going to work anymore, not to mention that A-City was rebuilt as a massive fortress where the rich are fleeing to.

It's starting to go in a different direction with the monster association shit, yes. But it had been like that for over 10 volumes prior to this.

It's not a gag manga, it's a comedy manga. There is a difference.

you only dislike this series because its popular, had you read the manga years before the anime and the surge in popularity I bet you would have a completely different opinion

>You're supposed to suspend your disbelief and find it normal that civilians are going to work as usual when an alien was going to blow up the earth the day before.
The Webcomic showed a family going into debt in order to move into a fortress where their child would be safe from danger. Or how WDM's city has a massive burst of immigrants because people don't feel safe in other cities. When things are so bad that people would move from one side of the continent to another, it isn't a joke anymore.

But it's the opposite. The attacks ramping up and escalating over and over is repeatedly stated to be massively unusual and a big problem. Whole cities are being wiped out or evacuated and never filled again, and really, things aren't even escalating threat-wise. Nothing's topped Boros, although the Monster Association worked hard to match him.

nope, I never even watched the anime

Just like Mob psycho the first 6 episodes were good, then it started taking itself seriously.
And that made it boring.

And yet the danger is never shown to affect the civilians directly. You don't see civilians stocking up on rations and water, building shelters, forming militias and fleeing areas en masse to end up in refugee camps. It's only narration or talks from a third party like the hero association. There's no real sense of danger.
The monster association topped Boros not in actual threat in-universe, but in how it is treated in the manga. The monster association arc has been going for far longer and with much more build-up than the alien attack. It also dealt more visible damage to the heros, in particular if you count Garo as part of it.
Maybe? I've only read the part of the story that wasn't yet in the Murata version, and that was about 2 years ago. And I wasn't talking about the webcomic anyway.

I'm OP and I read the manga well before the anime came out. Haven't even watched the anime.

>Maybe? I've only read the part of the story that wasn't yet in the Murata version, and that was about 2 years ago. And I wasn't talking about the webcomic anyway.
Then at least, the most recent chapter that just came out has people trying to start a religion worshipping monsters and arrange human sacrifices, should clue you in.

>it started taking itself seriously.
This killed my interest after a while too.

I hate it even more now because of the filler shit.

i like both but they wear out the premise after a while and progress too slowly to hold my interest
drifters has the same problem on top of releasing way too slowly
opm is still holding for me because murata is a really good illustrator

It's impossible for OPM beat him superman can shot lazer at least

In my opinion, it was fun when Saitama was randomly exploding monsters while trying to live his daily life and alleviate his boredom, but things went rapidly downhill the second he joined the Hero Association. Then it just became a standard shounen.

All anybody seems to care about now are the fights.

it's not a gag manga, it's a comedy manga.

It's an overinflated gag manga that many people buy into for serious reasons.
But it's sort of fascinating how the writer develops an entire world full of characters that are completely serious in their own pursuits, and keeps building and building.
When the obvious joke is that none of it matters, it's all pointless and dumb because of the one guy.

At least it's funnier than that piece of shit Mob Psycho

>Am I the only person who hates this?
Yes, every fucking single soul in this desolated earth loves the shit out of OPM except you, the special motherfucker, one of a kind and we are blessed to be in your presence.

>Can you imagine the new strong villain appears and Ichigo die and this is the end, Bleach now without him?
Toriyama tried to do that at the end of the Cell Saga.

hmmmmm that number

Here is the pic you meant to post

>tension
>in a battle shounen
?

Comedy is more effective when there's contrast. Bang calling for a time-out or King intimidating the dragons would be nowhere near as funny if they didn't happen in the middle of a battle to the death.

quads of truth
OPM fondles my nuts in just the right way, I like how nobody important really knows who he is no matter what he does.

Yep, fpbp. Fucking I THINK HE'S S CLASS IN STRENGTH and BREAK YOUR LIMITER absolutely fucking killed the fun for me.

Yes you're the only one and you have shit taste sorry
Fucking pleb

i think its funny and i enjoy it even when its not.
Not everyone reads it, so yes you arent the only one.

>complaining it isn't more like the genre it is being a parody of
I don't even know how to respond to that.

Its not a battle shonen anime, its a light comedy that wears the tags of one. There is tension and fear built up as the heroes strugle to take down a single underling, all the while saitama casually bats away his best and finishes off the big bad. The point of the show is to contrast saitama's incredible might with his other very human limitations. He didnt know that the sea king wiped out Genos and a half dozen other highly skilled heroes. he also didnt know what to expect at the top of the ship. He only saw that there was a problem and went to do it. The weeds in a garden do not put up incredible fights to the gardener. They just destroy them and continue along their day. Its the Gardeners hobby. Similiarly it is saitamas hobby. Im not going to go rick and morty on you, but the humor is quite dry and dark. To take the show seriously is to miss the entire point. Mob Psycho very much drops the lack of seriousness and does go to make an intense struggle over a great plot, but to say OPM is bad simply because the protag doesnt pull a new form out of his ass to kill off the big bad after 10 eps of yelling is pretty damn retarded.

It's basically Bleach. People only watch/read it for the fights/art. Everything else is garbage.

At least it's better than DBS. The art on that is just atrocious.

I probably won't live long enough to see this sequence animated.

There's something else here besides fights?

Don't lost hope, user. Don't forget, we are getting the conclusion of Full Metal Panic animated this year. No one thought it was even possible.

One of the best chapters ever.

Reading this is the highlight of the year for me.

Nope.

I enjoyed the first few arcs but as stated the tension goes away when your just think to yourself "just call saitama" every time a new villain shows up

Even just for the sakuga, the show is really good

This. OPM is great, but it pisses off autists to no end. I say "but", but the autismo angering only makes it better. The fact that they continuously try and define OPM and what it has to be, only for it to go in a completely different direction, makes me smile.

Stop trying to dictate what a series is and has to be.

One Slap Jap is one of the worst anime I've ever had a displeasure of watching.

Welcome to the majority of Sup Forums, where if something doesn't go their way with a series, it's shit and they try to force their views down everyone's throat. Dragon Ball/One Piece threads are horrendous due to this. HxH to an extent as well.

It's quite funny how Saitama is basically a SoL character stealing climaxes from all the other shounen casts, making them question the meaning of it all.

Liking naruto?
Shit is trash lol, actually a bad anime when shippuden hit.

The gimmick is stupid but it doesn't matter because this is 10% about Saitama and 90% about everyone else.

>protagonists overcome the immediate struggle by doing asspulls
FTFY

pleb