Why are noses drawn as

Why is it in anime that noses are drawn with so little detail in them? Do japanese see noses as insignificant?

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymotion.com/video/x3b9jon
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They’re the ugliest part of the face

This plus they're disgusting. They have buggers.

They don't convey any emotion. Eyes and mouth are both expressive.

They're distracting

How come normalfags suddenly care about this old pop artist? I'm gonna assume an internet celebrity is responsible

They're just playing games.

No its just YouTube algorithm. Some stuff kinda just gets oddly push out to everyones recommended when you look up certain music (same thing happen to Plantasia before it got deleted).

>mozgus.jpg

and Plus it's hard to draw them and very easy to mess up - and even if you can keep them consistent, their best role is to make a character look uglier/different (see: SnK's Kike Nose)

Post your repulsive nose

It's because the human brain sees them as insignificant.

You know greys like the aliens? That's what a person in your dreams looks like when when its not covered by a person's face you know. It's sexless and raceless. The head is large. Eyes and mouth, no knows or ears.

Take anime character, especially moe shit. Trace the skull, trace the lips, and trace the eybalss, color them in solid. It will look like a grey if you don't believe me

Can someone fill me in on the Plastic Love meme? I'm out-of-the-loop on how/why it became popular.

Noses are fundamentally ugly and one of the primary reasons real girls will never achieve the perfection of 2D.

see

I personally prefer some semblance of a real nose on anime characters (ie Ghibli, wmt), but dot noses aren't bad. What bothers me is when there's no nose at all

Props for Maria Takeuchi art.

Meant to put example above

the fuck are you even talking about?

Ancient aliens built the anime.

This pic looks like shit. Why is the hair so half assed? Do you see hair as insignificant?

That nose looks pretty acute to me.

They convey character though.

ME: My waifu has no nose
MOM: How does she smell?
ME: Terrible

Is that Carlos?

While noses add a lot of character to a face, in animation the focus should always be on the eyes and mouth since they are the features that convey the most emotion.
No one focuses on the nose when watching someone speak, gesticulate or express anything.
It's all about what you're trying to convey with your form of art. If I want to make an expressive face, I won't focus so much on the nose as in how the eyes and mouth move.

Why is it in cartoon that noses are drawn with so little detail in them? Do Americans see noses as insignificant?

How fucking dumb do you have to be to write that and then post a picture of a show where they have clear as day fucking obvious noses?

Reminder that these characteristics are worth 3 points each(and 1 extra point if all of them are check)
Nose + Lips + Ears = 10/10
Is your waifu a 10/10?

>pic unrelated

i've seen her everywhere, what is the fuss about?

How fucking dumb do you have to be to not understand the meaning of the word 'detail'?

How many points are creepy goat eyes worth?

>Draw half circle as nose
>detail
Go read the meaning of the word "detail" you fucking moron.

Why don't emojiis have noses?
Same reason.

>bubble nose
>four fingers
>non-existent eyebrows
>non-existent hairline
Why is it in cartoon that people are drawn with so little detail in them? Do Americans see people as insignificant?

It's a trade off like most animation between making the characters as cheap to animate as possible while still being recognizable as people and distinct enough to build a brand around it. Stick figures work surprisingly well for animation if not distinct enough to brand. If you're trying to brand off of complexity then the more realistic the better thus Hollywood CGI in movies made to be indistinguishable from reality. Still flaws to realism add distinctiveness as well so having a happy medium like anime or the similarly bugeyed slightly out of proportion Hollywood CGI film fits to a good compromise of flawed to the point of distinctiveness, easy to animate while retaining complexity, and complex enough to be considered semi-realistic which depends on how realistic you want to go in the style.

Minimalism?

what's with this fucking song lately?, it isn't even that good.

what's up with the mariya meme?

meme song+pretty girl

Absolutely terrible taste detected.

japs have smaller noses

Apparently drawings are too hard to understand.

It's missing the style Even a monkey can draw manga made fun of.

Depends on the artstyle of the anime.

you can draw noses how you want, depends on artstyle entirely, also noses are pretty hard to draw in anime and retain good quality.

I'm just playing games.

Big eyes + tiny noses are cute.

Noses are difficult to draw. Light doesn't reflect off them in a way that is compatible with simple stylized drawings.

Fun fact, the more detail you add in lineart, the more elderly and rugged the impression of the character becomes.

Youthfullness is best conveyed by as minimal necessary lineart as possible. All other modelling and texture is best communicated via smooth transitions of pastel gradients and shadow.

Basic artschool 101 shit.

Plus in comics and cartoons, you have to keep the stuff in budget. You mustnt add too much detail, to keep the animation costs managable.

I recall depictions of elderly Japanese people, espceially men, to have very characteristic big fat old-people noses.

I liked noses design in black lagoon.

I tried and I sincerely have no idea what the fuck you are talking about

It the least appealing, but it's necessary unless you want to look like Voldemort. A nose can be cute too.

Fuck. What do you think this all means?

It is more of a 00s and 10s thing. 80s anime had a lot of well defined noses, in the 90s they started slowly going away though.

Yeah but you drew a cool thing, and I bet you had fun doing it

Was this your plan all along? To make us have this thing called "fun"?

So you drew a grey. A curvy grey, but the proportions are more grey than human

It mea s that by not filling heir face with extra eons details that your mind is able to fill in the gaps and make it seem more real at an emotional level. The opposite of this effect is the uncunnany belly. Where things look more real but are disturbing by being just slightly off. In anime the minimalism is best scene as contrasted against more real backgrounds. The brain wants the world to look real, because it does not have a primal in built network that recognizes the shape of an alarm clock, for a good example of what I'm talking about look at anime like akira

Children have small noses and anime characters have a child-like appearance.

>look up Eurobeat and aesthetic music
>this singer is literally on every recommended list

I ain't complaining but it's funny that I can't shake her off.

It's a thing I occasionally wondered myself, especially since my doodling is anime inspired. I even made it a personal rule to make sure I actually draw noses on girls, just because I felt drawing dots was just lazy since I'm not a Japanese Animator on an extreme time budget.

That said, folks I tend to show my work to are put off by the noses, and are far more positive/receptive to scribbles with less snoz. It's not something I really mind at all, but it was interesting to see the sort of reaction one body part could garner.

dailymotion.com/video/x3b9jon

There's a brief talk about it at the 16:00

Basically, it's a problem of how to draw the nose so it doesn't clash with the style or make the characters look less cute.

>That's what a person in your dreams looks like when when its not covered by a person's face you know. It's sexless and raceless. The head is large. Eyes and mouth, no knows or ears.

Sounds like a bunch of made up bullshit to me.

Noses can be sexy.

Because the nose is the least relevant part of the face in regards to facial expressions.

test

> Basically, it's a problem of how to draw the nose so it doesn't clash with the style or make the characters look less cute.

The problem I have with that is this issues causes problems when figures, 3d models, and other things are made. It's easily sidestepped in 2d, but during the transition the non-existent nose becomes really jarring, as the solution is often to give the character a weird, cone-shaped growth on their face with no nostrils of any sort.

I am not an expert, so I won't judge them as being lazy, as Japanese artist seem to be miracles of work ethic. But it really makes some characters look odd to me.

Can someone please tell me the purpose of test posting? I see it all the time. Are people really testing if thwy can post? Or is this an advanced shitpost of some kind?

Noses don't look good on ayylmao moeblobs.
Go figure.

fuck why am I finding it fun to turn animes into ayys? Are the aliens influencing me to do this more?
I honestly still have no idea what you’re talking about but turns out I kind of like moe lmaos.
Well? What do you think it means? Are the grays trying to make us like them more by influencing our media to subtly portray themselves as ideal?

Take it to /ic/ namefag

Already did. The most interest was on the left drawing, mostly to call it a racist caricature, though one user said the left looked better than the right. I'm not taking it as objective word of /ic/, but it is interesting how different groups of people reacted to it.

Bumping because I think this conversation in general is interesting, and also Ayynon's doodles.

This picture explains it pretty clearly. Normally you'd use different value ranges to depict realistic nose since bridge of the nose isn't really "hard" contour like contour between face and background or face and eye ball is. Softer the contour, the better it's to leave out the line for ie. nose bridge and just add some dot or slight shadow to imply tip of nose or nostrils.

Sometimes less is more like pointed out. Big line in middle of face draws your eyes into it instead of more pleasing things like cute hair or eyes.

Fag

As long as ayyys are cute pink sheep, they are allowed to do whatever they want.