Pre-2000 Anime Thread

What have you been watching Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

desuarchive.org/a/thread/167679006/#167679006
nyaa.si/view/995723
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This is better than Ranma.

Just started Mujigen Hunter Fandora and enjoying the hell out of it.

That's not very difficult.

I recently finished Ace Wo Nerae! Which was fantastic, and also watched "Sword for Truth" since it was both directed by Dezaki and is often considered the worst anime ever. I ended up liking it though,it had an interesting kind of grimy art style that was suited to the story, some nice use of Dezaki's limited animation style, and was just solid schlock through and through. It seems like It got a bad rap because it was advertised as Ninja Scroll 2 to Americans, and was a let down because of how much lower the production values were.
I also watched Minky Momo: A Bridge Over Dreams , which was really comfy and touching, the background art was gorgeous.

I have Radio City Fantasy on my computer, and am interested in going back and finishing up something I put on hold ( probably Orguss), and want to start on an 80s shoujo series next, maybe Glass Mask or Hikari no Densetsu.

Those may have to wait though, since it is my birthday this weekend and I invited some friends over to watch Patlabor 2 with me, one of my favorite films ever.

Already finished Utena and is such a great anime. Why they don't make more things like that?

>Why they don't make more things like that?
Read some netflix threads and hear how LGBT will kill anime as we know it.

Speaking of LGTB, at least the anime, Utena herself is not gay at all. Juri was obviously full lesbo, and the incest conflicts were interesting. I assume the gay one is the movie then (going to watch it later).

This was fun.

Take that

I was watching Kodocha again a few days ago, but it's a pain. Because the subs in the downloads are so terrible I'm forced to stream it, but the streams don't always work and I have to switch between sources and so on, so watching it can be really annoying.
It's interesting though, but I don't feel that close connection I feel with my favourite anime. Still good and enjoyable, but if it keeps feeling like this it's no more than a 7/10

Currently watching:

Galaxy Express 999
Hokuto no Ken
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Magic Knight Rayearth

Almost finished galaxy express over 100 episodes in it has been a wild ride.

Been watching this as it's getting subs, and I'd been thinking about it anyway. It's pretty fun and has a nicely creative fantasy world. And a nice structure for the adventure that isn't just monster of the week.

Watched 10 episodes of Sherlock Hound and I think it's fantastic.

Why is it better than ranma?

I'm going to give the Lodoss TV series a try. I've heard very mixed things about it.

It's good that you are giving it a try, at least. A lot of people don't like it, but I greatly prefer it over the OVA, and you may be one of us.

is Mazinger Z worth watching?

Project A-ko

Banner of the stars)))

I'd say yes out of Nagai's big three (it,devilman and cutey honey) it was the only one I consider above average.

Mazinger Z>Cutey Honey>>>>Devilman (1972)

Hey, I re-watched this a few days ago. I miss OVAs like this. Would recommend if you enjoy 90s anime comedy.

I'm almost done with Kodoma no Omocha

It's a really strange show that alternates between serious drama plotlines and surreal comedy. To be frank it's not really worth watching after the first arc, which is actually pretty good if you can tolerate the silly distractions. In the second season there are still some amusing bits, but most of the screentime is taken up with filler material.

GE999 is one of the best anime ever, it's a shame that it's not more popular.

Currently not watching something pre-2000 but considering starting the original Harlock next.

I actually saw a few days ago. Haven't gotten around to watch the OVAs.

Glass Mask is pretty good. I haven't seen the 2005 series, though, so I don't know if it's better or worse.

Still waiting on that one user supposedly subbing the BDs to finish to watch this.

good choice

waiting on which one?

What does B-ko see on C-ko rly?

Her smile, her cute face. She says it in the movie, but I can't remember what exactly she says. I think it was because C-ko was her only friend growing up. But then A-ko "stole" her.

since macross plus was the only macross i hadnt watched it i decided to give it a go and i have to say that i was pretty impressed. not only because of the visuals, but particularly because of the audio direction. usually macross excels through its music, but plus did a brilliant job in regards to the acoustic detailing and drawing the viewer. theres a mind blowing versatility to the sound effects theyve used in it. story and world were well established, but the characters felt a bit flat at times, guld in particular. all in all still one of the best ovas ive seen to date, just a bit weird that it took me so long to actually watch it. on a different note: i just finished a tree of palme which is from the early 2000s and that was even more impressive.

I think she actually likes A-ko because he jumps on the Kei wagon just because of her.

Sharon Apple is my favorite Macross idol. Plus is pretty great.

>Sharon Apple is my favorite Macross idol
youre wrong user. delta might have been shit but freyja is bar none the best idol macross has ever had.

Finished Cutey Honey Flash.
It was pretty good overall. The art direction was really good. I didn't like some of the changes they made to certain characters or added characters.
Started Akazukin Chacha and Zambot 3, enjoying both so far.
Still working through Ashita no Joe and Lupin too.

>Finished Cutey Honey Flash
Did you understood anything?

I'm still NOT watching Utena, and Sherlock Hound, and Zeta Gundam, and many others, but I actually watched Ariel Visual and Deluxe Ariel.
I liked, and that's the problem.
Because I liked I got disappointed.
Fuck! Not enough Ariel! Why make that amazingly cute and cool robot and not use it?

Project A-ko are those 4 movies?

I believe so. I think one of them is an OVA, but I could be wrong. I'm honestly only familiar with the first movie.

Jesus everyone wants a piece of this C-ko for some reason.

What is with all the English insert songs by the way?

Sexy 80s/90s cyber babes are superior to contemporary boring moe girls, every time.

Good taste user

We had a relatively decent thread on the show a few days ago in case you didn't see it desuarchive.org/a/thread/167679006/#167679006

I actually started watching it because of that thread, but still thank you.

Cool. Have a webm.

>Speaking of LGTB, at least the anime, Utena herself is not gay at all.

The quality came out worse than expected there.

>Currently watching
Armored Trooper VOTOMS
>Thinking about watching
CCS to remind myself what the old one was like while watching the new one
Might get around to watching The Nadesico movie since its one of my favorite series but all I've ever heard about it is that its very bad.

But in the anime it wasn’t. They had a deep strong bond but they didn’t got time to explore the lust. Now the movie is another story.

Going through Bastard!! right now, it's pretty fun. They don't make OVAs like they used to.

I am waiting for the new Ganba episode and dropped Neo Ranga. After 23 it just didn't get to me.
Some threads ago someone recommended and shared the movie Coo of the far Sea. I watched that while ago and do not thinks it's good.
Think I'll try Future Boy Conan next.

They had money, it was the 80s, so they went to California and hired a bunch of low level pop producers who hired a bunch of aspiring singers to make some fun cheesy songs (and a pretty cool synth score). The process is documented on the making of special...
The soundtrack for the first film was a surprise hit, had quite a few pressings on vinyl.

Gunsmith Cats, anyone?

I liked it. Wish there was more!

Another Ikeda Riyoko show.

Minnie a cute!

Rei ;_;

I see that certainly explains it.

Just finished the film and really enjoyed it. The animation was really good while still keeping the more silly anime moments at times plus the music certainly was catchy. Obvious parody references to other anime and anime tropes as well a good fun watch.

Lots of Dezaki fans in the house.

These are the only threads I can post in where people actually know who he is.

>Kasei Yakyoku
This series desperately needs more attention. It's honestly one of Dezaki's top 5 best, IMO, and yet it's so obscure.
The fact it was never adapted into a "You're Under Arrest" style TV series physically pains me.

Dragon Ball Z, nearing the end of the Namek arc

Is she a gay?

It is definitely him
COBRA
leaving me blue
COBRA
missing you true

Space Cobra: 50% Star Wars, 50% weird music video

>Basically Lupin.
>Not know outside these threads.
>The absolute state of Sup Forums.

Pic related is just wierd, you can hardly say ita an anime but a sequence of 80s/90s music videos. Songs are great tho

One more for the series of strange OVAs

I'm a physical release fag and most of these series I want to watch but are only available abroad so I need to look into getting a region-free player.
On topic I recently watched the original Gundam and thought it was good, I didn't really see the point in introducing 'newtypes' but I'm hoping Zeta Gundam will go into more detail. I've also been watching Outlaw Star.

Finished Rose of Versailles about a month ago and I've been watching GE999 and Magic Knight Rayearth.
My physical OST of Rose of Versailles came in the other day actually, too good.

I'm excited for the collectors blu ray animeigo is releasing, it was one of the first anime DVDs I bought back in the early 00s with the peanuts I made delivering papers, it was a random buy as well. Been collecting the manga recently, great stuff.

I'll be starting on this soon.

Got a picture of it you can post user?

>I've also been watching Outlaw Star.
my condolences

I finished Dunbine a couple of days ago. That ending was too depressing. Fucking you Tomino.

Currently watching: Yawara, Fancy Lala, Betterman and Peter Pan no Bouken. God, i miss the old anime so much.

8/10
7/10. Also Urusei Yatsura is the best out of all the Rumiko Takahashi shows.
5/10. Too bad it's not a very good show technically.
>Ace Wo Nerae!
7/10 Good Dezaki show.
>Sword for Truth
>worst anime ever
Whoever thinks this clearly hasn't watched shoujo anime from the early 00's.
7/10.
6 ½/10.
Is this good.
Haven't seen.
>Galaxy Express 999
7/10. Too long though
>Hokuto no Ken
7/10 not counting the second season which is shit.
>Magic Knight Rayearth
5/10. Don't really like it.
7/10. High quality stuff.
>>>
> Anonymous 02/02/18(Fri)15:17:57 No.167935500▶
>File: giphy.gif (1.49 MB, 386x286)
>Project A-ko
4/10. Did not like original series. Preferred Devilman. Bias towards mecha anyway.
Shit taste.
7.5/10. Fun as fuck. One of Dezaki's best.
Cell was better. 6.5/10 not counting Majin Buu arc.
>I'm a physical release fag
Ah, I See You're a Man of Culture As Well/
>Gundam
Never mind.
>my condolences
It's good though... Not great, but good. 6.5/10.

Fuck off.

Just finished Excel Saga, it was pretty unique and fun, the last episode was especially worth it. Going to watch the original Di Gi Charat next, all those references to it in 2000s anime like picture related tipped me off so I hope it's fun.

You fuck off.

Yes, watch it. You won't regret.

I love Fancy Lala! I've watched Creamy Mami, and want to watch more shows like this but they're hard to find translated sometimes.

I am currently watching Slam Dunk.

I would think there isn't a Gintama fan that doesn't at least know what a Psychogun is.

Thinking about watching Lupin Part 2. Should I watch Part 1 first?

Y'all got any of that M E D I O C R E anime?

No you should watch Part 800 first.

Outlaw Star any good? Better than Cowboy Bebop?

Personally I've always like OS more than Bebop.

>everyone recommends bunny hat raws for sailor moon
>unsubbed, SMC subs aren't timed for it
how do I watch sailor moon

I quite like Outlaw Star, but not as much as Bebop.

Is it weird that the only Miyazaki movie I absolutely love is Castle of Cagliostro, even if it isn't the most accurate depiction of Lupin?

Wtf

>Sup Forums is one person

> tfw GTO is the only pre-2006 anime I've ever watched
> tfw the overwhelming majority of the anime I watched was made after 2010
Am I too young to be on this board?

No, but there's no time like the present to try out some older stuff. I watch atleast 10 a season and always find time for at least 1 or 2 backlog shows.

I'm not saying that there aren't any good modern anime but get some taste and watch some of the classics. You're doing yourself a disservice.

Well, consider this. Anime is influenced by anime. The creators of your favourite shows probably like a bunch of older works, so why would'nt you? Start with some early 00s and late 90s anime that seem interesting on first glance. Age has nothing to do with it either; plenty of my favourites were already old shows by the time I got into anime.

I don't see what's weird about that. Castle of Cagliostro is very strong. How good the animation was for 1979 alone is enough to be highly praised/discussed at great length. Plus it has zero nonsense that always shows up in actual Ghibli films. Additionally Miyazaki already did Lupin before, so it's kind of like a neat little closure (even though he did a some more afterwards).

Almost definitely, if you weren't watching anime before 2010. Or maybe I'm too old now. Scary either way.

Better just buying and watching the original dub it makes a lot of changes for the better.

>dub

wubbu lubbu dub dub

johnnyenglishsubs is doing Magical Idol Pastel Yumi. live-evil is doing Magical Emi. Both slowly but sturdy. anidb is great for finding out if a show is subbed and how much.

OldCastle is doing non-magical shoujo sports show Attack No 1 weekly, and it's amazing. Highly recommend getting in on this shit.

Anyone remember like a month ago when I posted this "shit that will never be translated" in one of these threads like 2 months ago.
Our Lord and Savior oldcastle did it.
nyaa.si/view/995723

Yeah, already watched and it was >167947558