What are some great sword designs in anime?

What are some great sword designs in anime?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=obw19lRWO-Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

not that one

Pic related, also Dragonslayer from Berserk.

>nippon steel folded over 1000 times.gif

HE NEVER FUCKING USES IT REEEEE

just replay the OP again and again to watch him cut trees with it

I don't care what they call it, that is not a sword it is a glorified drill at best.

Nope. It's actually a staff.

staves don't have handles

Sorry, meant wand.

I guess it could pass as that.

Ea is a very cool looking weapon. Very unique.

Can't really think of many anime swords that are memorable. Since most all of them are Katana that doesn't leave much to be creative. Some bleach swords maybe.

nah, more like a lollipop for me.

Best sword design in any medium

>Anime
>Good sword designs
Nah. They are either over the top or lack interesting features.

I'll bite. The blade is invisible, right?

Over detail designs full off CG effects are a crime against aesthetic, so these are the only right answers

This is the ideal swod design. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

Nope

There is no sword.

I like this sword design

Pic not related right?

Looks like one of those semaphore batons

Then it can't be a sword.

Man, I haven't thought of push pops in years

Good taste, OP

Oh wow, that brings back memories. I feel old.

fuck swords, swords are boring, anyone can do a sword

spears is where it's at

What was this again? Strong blocking or something?

>anyone can do a sword
Spears were literally made because people couldn't use swords.

literally just a sheathe

I looked for an identical spearhead design for innawoods fun for a long time, never could find one.

You'd do well to avoid Katanagatari altogether if this sword design is already triggering you. That show has a very loose interpretation of what amounts to 'sword'.

Patrician choice

Considering the focus on swords in bleach, most of them are so retarded. This one is good and you can fuck it too.

spears were made because good metal was expensive and it's easier to keep dumb untrained peasants alive to till fields for you if they're further away from whatever it is they're supposed to kill

we're talking 2d anyway, don't drag reality into this

the thread topic is "great sword designs in anime" anyway, which is what my comment was in reference to - eg "anyone can do (draw) a sword"

It was the concept of 'sword' but the object itself does nothing but allow you to contemplate on the concept of 'sword'

Since when was a spinning stick that can shoot some aoe damage cooler than a sword that can eat up a fucking planet?

>sword
>sharp sword
>1000 swords
>thin sword
>armor sword
>big sword
>kunai sword
>doll sword
>wooden sword
>bladeless swords
>dark sword
>guns

And don't forget the best sword, Sword (male).

>no sharp tip to stab people with
>looks dull
>hand guard would press into the user during certain movements

I can forgive impractical weapon and armor designs, but at a bare minimum, a weapon should look it would disable the opponent and not hurt the user in the process.

Okay:

>not perfectly balanced
>fucking huge
>snags and protrusions on the blade
>pure fantasy stuff, like solid metal swirls around the blade that get engulfed by blue flames once the fight starts or whatever

Super human strength could bypass the issues that these would cause for real people, and obviously, visibly magical shit is visibly magical shit.

Too stupid:

>things which obstruct the user's movement, especially things that would stab the user or break his bones on a block
>lack of any sort of blade or sharp tip

Of course, this isn't to say that anything that meets this criteria automatically looks cool. Inverting the handguard wouldn't save this piece of shit, for example.

user like 2 people now about that sword

Better sword.

>makes a lance
>calls it a sword
what did Nasu mean by this?

>That show has a very loose interpretation of what amounts to 'sword'.
You nigger, it's a reference to Kawamoto's Fusha no Sha, which is in itself based on an old chinese tale.

Yeah, that doesn't look like a lance either user

I should go buy one of these again sometime

pretty sure spears predate swords by several millenia

Axes need more love too

still cool af tho
I mean who doesn't love big ass fucking sword right?

nobody does maces right either, and they're pretty much superior to anything else in their reach category especially when dealing with armored opponents

Giant swords that can shapeshift into a spear. The best of both worlds.

I really like Rhongomyniads design. Even though its a spear.

Literally the only weapon in this thread that looks usable. Why does anime always have such dogshit designs? How hard is it to make something practical and add a little bit of flair to make it somewhat unique?

You mean literally every katana in anime ever?

Katanas have achieved meme status at this point. It's hard for me to take them seriously.

>muh realism
Go back now

Sorry man for wanting something that tries to be more grounded, now let me watch shounen screaming flying around with lasers!!! number 204853.

there's something to be said for simple designs when everyone and their dog just goes as garish and absurd as possible to "stand out"

If you're actually stabbing anyone with Ea, you're using it wrong. The fact that Gil does exactly that in F/Z is... strange.

Ea is an anti-world beam cannon, you'd never want to try and hit someone with it really. The supposed reason its a 'sword' is that its merely a weapon which predates the concept of 'sword' but that should just further the point that it isn't one... Gilgamesh is a bit of a dumb dumb.

Exactly, at this point something more practical or realistic stands out for me more than when someone tries to be flashy.

There needs to be a balance.
It's best when characters weapons are unique enough to stand out and be recognizable, but still look practical.

Often weapons are either completely generic or just over the top garish.

>Can't even cut a fancy stripper

Rude

There are plenty of ways to try to make it stand out while still looking practical, having small designs like etching or a handguard's design, coat of arms on a set of armor.

Desire > all other swords

They're so fucking beautiful.

>youtube.com/watch?v=obw19lRWO-Y

The real BLACK sword of the real BLACK swordsman.

Ea can be used to slash, just like a regular sword. It can even penetrate armor, despite having a dull tip.

lmao is that a deeeldo

There are plenty of anime with realistic swords, probably more than anime with fantasy swords.
You're just retarded.

Thanks, dad.

/thread

does this count?

Swords were sidearms for people using real weapons like spears

>anyone can do a sword

>sword
>need proper edge alignment in order to deal deep wounds that take your opponent out of the fight
>need to be careful not to injure yourself or trip in the process
>requires coming into close-ish range, with all of the dangers that come with that

>spear
>long range
>grab it with both hands and poke poke poke poke poke in the general direction of your opponent until he screams and falls to the ground

Its intuitiveness is one of the many things that make the spear the most popular weapon in history.

I have yet to find a better weapon. Though I guess Chamber could match him

>go to parry literally anything
>crossguard breaks your fucking arm
oh boy.

well duh.

It cuts shit by firing lasers.

That doesn't mean it's a sword.

The fucking grip and crossarm look like it would start cutting at your hand while you tried to wield it.

I loved that anime just for the historic accuracy. It was really great to see some designs grounded in reality.

I really can't believe people actually read "novels" with this shitty writing

The blade is philosophical.

Then how come lightsabers are swords?

Technically, they aren't.

Well people read posts as shitty as yours, so it's not that much of a stretch.

>another idiot thinks the comment is about USING a sword
jesus fuck user, you're retarded, read the goddamned thread