Violet evergarden

is it actually bad or is Sup Forums just being contrarian?

Lets wait until end of the season 1.

Watch the third episode at least.
The current episode has decent visual direction.

Looks nice but doesn't have much substance. I don't care about anyone in the show.

Really mediocre and overrated

>he doesnt care about cute Violet-chan
neck yourself

like 4-6/10 depending on how it ends and how generous i feel

better than kyoukai no kanata/chuunibyou s2, about level with phantom world, worse than anything else from kyoani (except free which i never saw)

Why does she look like saber?

A solid 6 and that's pretty much it

It's decent but slow paced.

Chuunibyou: The same autistic chuuni over and over again
Hyouka: The same "Ki ni Narimasu" over and over again
Maid Dragon: The same shit tohru trying to get kobayashi-san attention over and over again
Violet: The same "Aishite iru shiritai no desu" over and over again

You will realize how kyoani doing their way if you've watched one of their anime, they tend to repeat the same thing over and over again.

Thread is right on, the visuals are gorgeous, but the characters and story are formulaic. It's not a bad show, but there's nothing special about it either.

+suzumiya haruhi endless eight

Watch it faggot.
Sage and hide this shitty thread.

I don't know, I tried watching it but I couldn't see shit so I just gave up

I just don't get the point of the show. I mean, it looks pretty, but you know exactly where the story is going. Violet is a boring, frustrating character.

Are there any actions scenes in the novel?

Underrated post.

Yep, the final chapter of novel, fight on a train.
She got cut off the arms and shitty major come to rescue.

That's all the one good fight you can expect now unless they want to change the ending.

>show is underperforming despite all the hype
>it's poised to have average sales at best despite being the most anticipated KyoAni show in years
Is having similar character designs to Phantom World a jinx or something?

It's definitely audio-visually well crafted work. But the substance is so lacking in anything remotely interesting for all the technical hard work that went into making this show. But then again what can we expect from kyoani LN adaptations

KyoAni always makes good visuals but garbage writing. So yes, it's bad.

Why is the major such a deadbeat?

not him but she annoys me too much for me to give a shit about her

Brown typewriter is the best girl.

>implying

KyoAni has had plenty of shows with bad writing, but on aggregate no worse than any other studio's average anime output. There have also been adaptations with excellent writing like K-On and Disappearance.

He is ALWAYS a deadbeat. The worst soldier type you can find in anime

People watching anime complain Violet boring, but for the people read the novel would suffer from major's bullshit.

Violet is much better in novel though.

>/a

It's just overhyped and made by kyoani, that's why is there so much hate, if it was made by a diffrent studio, and had only 2 PV's, then people would just called it boring and move on, and only people who actualy love this anime, would make 1 or 2 small thread every week.

If you like anime where the only thing you got is pretty girls making sad face, this one is for you..

Art is good, other than that it's a complete snoozefest. All characters are forgettable, the MC is boring, a very mundane and common plot, "muh love". It's shit.

>he only cares about the autistic bitch because she's cute
You shallow cunt

not enough plot

I don't usually participate in the ebb and flow seasonal shitposting on Sup Forums because it's too memeish for the sake of memeing but VEG was so bad I tune in each week on release day/hour just to read everyone's reaction to just how mediocre the latest episode was. It's a horribly written and paced show. I'm not an advocate of the 3 episode rule as an absolute.... but VEG used up its goodwill. It doesn't help that the preview 1st episode was out for what, 3/4 of a year before the rest?

The hype killed it - but even without the hype it's a sub-par show. Eden of the East was a "better show" by comparison with similar visual quality (for its time) and a matured story structure with much better writing. Another comperable but better anime (film) to VEG is princess and the pilot. Simpler, but much better pacing.
Jin Roh, also better.

Violet Evergarden is a huge waste of animation talent. Hell, even the direction is way above average... but the story flatly sucks.

Are there really moms out there that try to set there daughters up for marriage/impregnation as hard as they can?

american education everybody

It is genuine AOTS

I'm from the North Pole.
Where are you from?
Are you European?
You also did not capitlize the first letter of your sentence nor 'American'. Is your education also lacking?

It's a whole load of wasted effort. The best example is in episode 4 where Violet introduces herself.
It's an epic 30 second long sequence with birds chirping and dramatic shots of flowers and fluid hair, clothing and expressive animation, and all that's happening is that she's introducing herself. You'd suspect that there'd be subtext and introducing herself had some kind of hidden meaning like it was the first time she had introduced herself to the viewers, but no. It was just something completely meaningless made as dramatic as possible.

Not that the episodes are bad, just that they're filled with nonsense.

+suzumiya haruhi endless eight

Pretty, but boring

Underrated post.

Post yfw this anime turns out to be masterpiece at the end and all shitposters will be ashamed

Yes, many. Courtship stuff has been around for centuries.

7-8 for me bump it to 9 if it can end on a high note
i still think Amagi Brilliant Park is the best anime the kyoani pumped out

It's good. It's just that we live in an ADD generation where if there's not ludicrous amounts of happenings going on the full length of the feature then people get bored. It's why Blade Runner 2049 flopped.

It's not bad, but not what it was hyped up to be either. Slow paced but clearly has a direction in mind. I think most of the backlash comes from all the fangasm before it even aired, and of course a chance to shit on Kyoani.

>The hype killed it - but even without the hype it's a sub-par show. Eden of the East was a "better show" by comparison with similar visual quality (for its time) and a matured story structure with much better writing. Another comperable but better anime (film) to VEG is princess and the pilot. Simpler, but much better pacing.
>Jin Roh, also better.
What the fuck do these have in common with VEG? Are you just listing random things you think are better? Also, Eden of the East was garbage that went nowhere.

>is it actually bad or is Sup Forums just being contrarian?

nu-Sup Forums is treating it as though it is the second coming of Sword Art Online. Regardless of whether or not you like the show, do you really think that's fair or justified?

>the second coming of Sword Art Online
So just another mediocre show, then?

>fight on a train

does it go down like age of shadows?

Calling Sword Art Online mediocre is an insult to shows that are actually mediocre.

It's nowhere near as bad or as good as people are saying.

Yeah its Anime of the decade no matter what shitposters think.

Why don't you watch it and find out, dumbass?

Ask yourself this: Would you eat shit if it looked nice? If your answer was yes, then yes you should watch it.
No but believe me it has the slowest fucking story progression I've ever seen, not to mention the plot being shit to begin with.

Iris's mom has high EQ but low IQ and CQ. What a case of cowflap.
I jus t don't like how violet always interpret and explains emotions in a fundamental level. Makes me think of the bullied, retarded, and edgy viewer population.

Sup Forums hates anything kyoani makes

It aint bad so far but not very good either, whatever happens it will always be remembered as the most beautifully animated show ever.

I'll make it short, it's not the best thing made in the world, but it's nice, sweet and it makes me feel warm inside when I watch it. I was expecting it to be really boring because Sup Forums said it was overrated and maybe it is but I genuinely enjoy every new episode that comes out. Don't ask Sup Forums and give it a try yourself, because Sup Forums isn't a person, and most of the people that post here say that everything's shit.

Just adding to my post here; I took part in a university business experiment/survey today that (probably) tested biased assumption on human preferences. For example, if you like certain brand of snack, you assume other people who default high voted that snack high on online review was honest, and if it was a brand you didn't like, you assume the default high voting was due to laziness. While watching ep.4 I was thinking she should just cut connection with her parents, but I didn't assume she liked her parents because I don't like mine. I wonder if there's way to modify this tendency.
>le diary
But I still hate this show

It's like a film, including the part about taking its time to set up the story.

Before episode 4 I'd probably give it a 6.5/10 overall but it's being carried by its visuals. Episode 4 was so bad I actually shut it off to go watch Yuru Camp before I had to go out and forgot to finish Evergarden until I saw the thread on here.
Hopefully the show picks up and it's more like episode 3 and less like episode 4 in the future. So far it's definitely the weakest thing Kyoani has made in years which is unfortunate because you can tell a lot of work has gone into it.

It's a really bad show. Unfortunately for KyoAni having a cute Saber clone and pretty visuals can't save awful writing, a non-existent story, and banal characterization.

If I ever went to a film and in 80 minutes the main character had barely progressed at all and it was pissing about with arranged marriage drama for a background character I'd be questioning why the fuck it's wasting so much of its time.
Comparing this to a film really isn't going to give a good impression. In terms of pacing it's more similar to a normal TV drama which is to be expected, that's what it is after all.

reminder that violet wants to know what is love

It is a pleb filter.

Sup Forums is never contrarian you piece of shit.
VEG is mediocre. Plain and simple.

Your comparisons are retarded.

If you look at the amount of shounen threads you can easily tell Sup Forums's population mostly consists of 15 year olds and manchildren, it doesn't cater to their tastes. Meanwhile moefags have better watching material this season.

>the direction is way above average.
Opinion discarded. The direction is terrible.

>do a curtsy
>it's portrayed as if Jesus Christ descended from heaven

Nice damage control.

I second that.

Mad chink being mad.

I like how nobody complains about lack of substance if an anime has enough fanservice and power fantasies to distract them. Make one anime that doesn't pander to otaku and it's suddenly trash.

Ecchi Fanservice is substance and it has it's place of need. On the other hand this anime doesn't have any interesting stuff. It's just like your average cheesy soapopera

>pandering to guys is substance
>girly drama isn't
ok

Uninspired garbage drama is boring without any interesting ideas or concepts is boring. Whereas at least fap worthy ecchi can be used for fap

This anime is just not for kids. You'll like it in a few years.

>I watched a genre that isn't catered to me so it's bad

You're the only one who seems mad here. Are you upset that you can't spot shit direction when it's staring you in the face?

It's kyoanus so visuals are a 10 like always. The show is frustrating and boring though. I understand that there are people that like it though.

VEG is bad because it's poorly written and directed, not because it's not a certain genre.

It's not bad. The problem is it isn't good enough, for a show that looks like its budget was bigger than those of every other anime in this season combined.
It's fucking boring. It just hurts to see so many work hours gone to waste. Imagine the number of Chinese child slaves they needed to make just the first 20 seconds of this anime.

Great arguments with great examples. I'm just saying that people are spouting subjective bullshit without actual arguments because it's a popular anime that didn't suit their tastes.

It’s more like the anime is mediocre garbage because of its incompetent writing

I only wish Kyoani used that kind of budget and talent for an action show again not some slice of life anime like they been doing for years now.

Go bak to Tieba, chink.

Good visuals. Everything else is mediocre.

It's not living up to the expectations, but it's decent. It's easily in the top 5 of best new shows this season.
Most of the shitposters you see around either hate anything Kyoani or are franxx fags who try to elevate their show by shitting on what they see as franxx's biggest rival. Pathetic, but typical Sup Forums

>he thinks objectively good exists
As if people who like this trash give any reason other than shallow "muh feels" and "muh visuals"

And whose tastes is it supposed to suit, user? It's not exactly setting the world on fire with any demographic.

Probably brain dead retards who like pretty things. I can just imagine some poor fellow in a mental institute, drugged up to the gills, watching this and drooling. Unable to follow what little plot there is, he gets some enjoyment from the pretty scenes, even if it's all FOGGY GLASSES FILTER

She's easily the worst part.

I find that this show is much more entertaining to watch if every scene with her in she's wearing a 'Please be patient I have autism' hat.

This might be one of the worst things I have ever watched.

Despite my acerbic persona, I don't think I normally say stuff that's this outlandish, but with Violet Evergarden, I feel like something crucial needs to be said about why this kind of content is not acceptable.

Violet Evergarden exemplifies everything that is wrong with storytelling in anime, namely that rather than attempting to tell a real story developed with content and meaningful emotion, it takes the most abusive shortcut by designing a cute character, throwing her into a position of bittersweet melancholy, and using that as a means of manipulating our basest emotions into believing there is something meaningful and tragic to be said.

People are praising the emotional resonance in the story and its ability to bring out the loneliness lost in the profundity of memory. Yet, consider a world where the main character is not a beautiful teenage girl, lost and confused in a world completely foreign to her. When you remove that physical appearance that makes us so inexplicably attracted to her stake in the story, there is ultimately no reason for us to feel sympathy. It is completely superficial.

That's an insult to autistic people, Violet is a robot. She should have been a robot.

I was also thinking of the vastly superior adaptation: Terminator 2. The increasing humanisation of this automated killer.
Hell kyoani really should have just stolen terminator 2's plot, that would have been awesome.

>implying we didn't discuss this to death since wednesday
>implying you even care
>implying I didn't already give one example of atrocious directing in this very thread already
>do a curtsy
>it's portrayed as if Jesus Christ descended from heaven