TEXHNOLYZE

Thoughts on Texhnolyze? I just finished it, pretty blown away and still piecing together my own feelings on it.

For anyone that remembers/watched it recently - who or what were the naked submerged people the Rakaan leader confronted in the pool? Also, who was the man with '52' emblazoned on his shirt shown in the flashbacks with a gunshot bleeding through?

Also postan' best track;
youtube.com/watch?v=YzncM_DQO_8

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=w-lg3yuc14M
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I dropped it at the gang war. First 6 episodes were comfy suffering.

Fair enough, it's not for everyone. At least you made it past the pleb filter first ep

We will never get such an anime again.

They don't sell well.

The beginning and ending ~6 episodes are cool. The middle ~12 are godawful boring. It would have been great as a 1 cour show.

I didn't notice any quality dip in the series, it all seemed pretty solid to me from the first episode onward. I can understand if the faction war stuff bored people though

Yeah, the faction war put me to sleep. The overall pace of things and the main character being near-mute a lot of the time didn't help either.

I cried like a bitch at the end

The only anime that ever made me cry desu

>Also, who was the man with '52' emblazoned on his shirt shown in the flashbacks with a gunshot bleeding through?

I don't remember anything about this

The first episode was good. Then it get really boring

This guy. He pops up in flashbacks in a conversation with some older man who (I think) ends up shooting him.

I was kinda hoping it would stay that minimalist for the rest of the show, but nobody would ever fund that

Oh, he's the guy controlling the city lights. He just talks about how important his job is because of the symbol of light in the underground city keeping the people from becoming animals.

We can get nothing like early 2000s/late 90s anime ever again.

Oh fuck, that makes sense. That's what I get for watching it while working. Thanks

The show never says what the naked people were, though it can be assumed they were the leaders of the Class or drove the process that "made" people into part of the Class. Shinji says something like "you'll let me become one of you?" as the lead naked stretches his arms out to him.

Yeah it feels like a collective consciousness of some sort. VERY similar to the one presented in the first S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game actually. The protag even guns them down too (after refusing their offer to join)

enjoyed till the end felt like it went to shit for shits sake reminds me of akame ga kill

Going to start watching the anime tomorrow, I think I would be able to finish it in four fays. Anyone who is interested can do the same and then I am making a thread Wednesday for the ones who want a fresh conversation.

It took me like a year. Good luck.

Where else could it go. Deviating from Ran's prophecy would have been cliched and trite

Good luck. I think I watched it in around 4-5 days too.

Posting more OST greatness
youtube.com/watch?v=w-lg3yuc14M

I already watched it, but things like what OP said makes me want to have the anime fresh to have s proper discussion.

Best soundtrack out of any anime I've ever watched

naked people in the rafia are clones and grown there. that's why they all have the same point eyes.

Why did they invite Shinji then, if they only kept people within their own family line?

Based Mizoguchi. His Jin Roh score is stunning too

The naked pool people is a pretty big question mark and there doesn't seem to be a firm consensus on what exactly they or their purpose, even among the Japanese fans. They're obviously members of the Class (the eyes) and it's Raffia that they're soaking in; initially I thought that it was just Class people 'bathing' in Raffia for some kind of perceived medicinal/healing purposes since so many of the Class members seem frail and weak, but the fact that they all have collars around their necks which have wires coming out of it leading to some unseen contraption made me think that they could be an artificial creation, maybe as some kind of evolutionary experiment.

Shinji also comments on them being the 'light' that you can see from Lux at night.

to drown him. he's just insane.

Epitome of a solid 8 for me. I think Yoshii is one of the most well written characters in the whole medium. The surface episodes were my favourites.

Glad you enjoyed it, user.

I like that there's threads like this left hanging. I mean, not that there isn't enough to pore over in the show anyway, but scrutinizing the lore is fun too.

Speaking of, how do people think Ichise regained use of his tex limbs after the monolith was destroyed? There's a brief cut to the ghost of the Doctor back in her lab that maybe implies she still exists and is supporting him in some form, but that might be a stretch

The fact he's taken out of the game not even halfway into the series really took me by surprise. Any other show would've had him carry through to the end and die in some corny standoff or something

Dropped after the first episode. Should I pick it up again?

Give the second a shot. They literally intentionally made the first episode abstract as hell just to throw the casuals off.

dropped it after episode 22

First 6 or so episodes until Yoshii's death were the only ones I really liked.
But that final shot with the MC smiling at the hologram of a flower with Walking Through the Empty Age playing was 10/10.

I really liked the first episode too in particular, maybe because it reminded me of Lain.

That makes a lot of sense. Just didn't had the patience at the time. Thanks

I really don't think the first episode is meant to be a snobbish plebfilter the way it's often painted to be. The first episode does exactly what every first episode is supposed to do - establish the world and introduce the characters. You find out exactly what a grim, ruthless world Lux is, what kind of person Ichise is, and it sets up a pretty compelling mystery behind Yoshii as far as where he's from and what his motivations are. The only thing is it does this with barely any dialogue so for some reason people are compelled to label it pretentious or a filter. At the risk of sounding like a pretentiousfag myself I respect it for having enough confidence to go all-in on the visual direction and leaving out the usual exposition, even if for only one episode.

I watched it just a few days ago, I echo the general sentiment of the thread, it was amazing. It did lots of interesting things with the characters, such as Ichise never speaking until three episodes in, Yoshii being for all intents and purposes a regular dude who turns out to be a master manipulator and sociopath, everything about Ran and so on.

It's a dark and grim show, but I couldn't put it down once I started watching it. The last few episodes where they get to the surface and the final confrontation back in Lux are very satisfying despite basically meaning all of humanity is extinct.

post yoshii

Finished this recently and while I did enjoy it and it is very unique I dunno if it deserves classic status. I found the middle to be very slow and while that adds to the atmosphere past a certain point it became a chore to put an episode on. As soon as the class get really involved the show picks the fuck up though. Also some of the best music I've heard in a show and varied as well which I appreciated.

One thing I didn't understand: Are the people on the surface actually ghosts? Are they digitized people who are actually holograms? I get the heaven symbolism but I'm curious as to the in world meaning. Also the surface was apparently based on some artist's work.

Make sure you rewatch it, at least the first four episodes. There's a lot of things that make a lot more sense once you know what's going to happen later.

Garbage for ledgy teenagers

Not an argument

Decent first half, awful second half. Retarded overall and way too pretentious.

Please explain exactly why it is pretentious

Please explain why I have to explain it.

Because you made the claim and the burden of proof is on you to say why, else you're just whining either to troll or because you're annoyed at something only somewhat challenging to consume. It has meaningful and genuine thematic material, and nothing is shown that pretends to be something it is not. So I ask again, why exactly is this show pretentious?

>pretentious buzzword

>I don't like this thing.
>Why?
>I'M NOT TELLING

pot calling the kettle black

It was very depressing. A good series, but damn depressing

Such an incoherent mess, intentionally made abstract to substitute for the lack of decisiveness in the plot and to fish in the evangelion autismo fanbase, the omnipotent loli gets raped by the edgy privileged cripple and has her head torn off and put on a mannequin, after that everyone dies, the end.

Kill yourself.

It's not incoherent, the plot is easy to follow and makes sense. The plot is decisive and that abstraction is not that hard to follow. You just seem upset that this wasn't a show about fapbait. And judging by your "attempt" at a spoiler, I'd wager you didn't even watch it.

>Thoughts on Texhnolyze?

Posted my thoughts, and I don't really need to justify them.

The rest of the people who responded were retards, but you at least deserve a serious response: Texhnolyze builds the first half of the show as a serious crime drama in a dystopian future/society. Yoshi comes in, does a lot of stuff to get the plot going in a direction-seemingly so. Then he dies and the show meanders in trying to explain the world only to destroy it a few episodes later. And it does this through a very poorly executed allegory, (the world is already over, and the people living in the cave have yet to realize it), a bunch of random philosophical nonsense (what doth life? what is human?), and overloaded existentialism (yada yada, going to make everyone into trees because I'm crazy). By the second half, Texhnolyze goes from a story that may be going somewhere to a story rapidly going nowhere as everyone dies because everything sucks, the end. I got the message, but I thought it was poorly executed.

Picture somewhat related.

Because pretentious is the go-to buzzword for describing anything that attempts to be profound and layered without having to actually explain why

I took them to definitely be projections of some sort, maybe digital images over blank bodies containing an upload of their consciousness (which is probably what gives them that ghostly look).

The point is not "because everything sucks" and there is no "random philosophical nonsense". A world is built up to be destroyed in the end, which parallels with the main theme, that human kind cannot evolve anymore, and any further attempts will only bring about pain as you neglect your humanity. No parties in the show were right, and they all contributed to their own end. That's part of the point. You're supposed to watch as all of this falls apart, and if you believe Kano's dream monologue, you might even take the story as a warning about what can happen to a population that removes all struggle to achieve a perfection that does not exist. A story does not have to have a happy ending. Kano did not make the Shapes trees because he was crazy, they rooted themselves to the ground because that's all there is to so called "perfect evolution". That's the end point, and it isn't even worth it. No humanity, no nothing, you're not meant to go further.

>philosophy

Wow, nothing substantial was brought to the table, big surprise. Sup Forums has the worst fucking taste.

Nope, still shit.

See You brought it up, so you should argue first with something meaningful if you want the same kind of response.

Not an argument

Don't need to make an argument, dogshit is dogshit no matter how much you try to polish it.

Not an argument

Like I said, I got the message at the end. I thought the journey there was bad, and I thought the way the message was conveyed was asinine. Good storytelling involves both loss and hope, in equal measure, to justify viewership/readership. Not to mention the story begins as socio-political drama and then transitions into full-on philosophical allegory. I mean, things were going okay until some dude made an army of robot people and killed everyone else--in the final third of the show. All loss, no hope, and no real rhyme or reason for it. Yeah, evolution is bad, whatever. It makes about as much sense as Genocyber.

Texhnolyze would have been far more palatable if Yoshi's rampage and subsequent death played out a little differently, with the political and social aspect of the series more fleshed-out and expanded on, and the revelation that Lux was playing out humanity's final stage of evolution moved to the fore-front. That would have been fine. The show should have ended when Ichise went to the surface, learning the truth, and then that's it. That would have been a more-or-less coherent story with a clear message and some ambiguity to provide viewer interpretation.

Has intellectual discussion on Sup Forums been completely eradicated?

Jesus you are pathetic.
Have your final (you)

desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu

As you waste your night hanging around in a thread you don't like, getting angry about a show you don't like.

>Good storytelling involves both loss and hope, in equal measure, to justify viewership/readership.

I disagree. I don't think these things are necessary, and you do have some minor glimpses of hope regardless. In a show about suffering, you don't necessarily want cliches about pulling through. Kano coming in was supposed to make you mad. The Shapes were kind of like world eaters that tore apart everything for naught because Kano was wrong, just as the surface was wrong, just as Onishi was wrong, just as Ichise was wrong, just as Doc was wrong. I get being upset at the shift, but I believe it was purposeful and I appreciate a series that explores conflict and moves into philosophy more than I would just a conflict oriented one.

>with the political and social aspect of the series more fleshed-out and expanded on

That's kind of what that big chunk between Yoshi and Kano was.

>The show should have ended when Ichise went to the surface, learning the truth, and then that's it.

You need to have what comes afterward for the thematic material to be complete. The surface people were not the only people to have been wrong, and the ending demonstrates a very scary hellscape that results from the complex mixture of people who tried and failed to perfect humanity, and people who got so tired of being pushed around that they regressed to animalistic ways.

I think that they were presumably the collective hivemind that interfaced with the people on the surface, or used to anyways, and the ones that were overseeing Kano's moms. I assume they're connected to a gestalt formed by the Raffia they're soaking in.

We'll just disagree then. I'll give you an example of good storytelling following roughly similar guidelines: The Mist, released in 2007, so after Texhnolyze. Spoilers, of course.

>The majority of the movie is spent with the assumption that the outside world does not exist anymore. The mist covered everything.
>The majority of the movie is spent inside a store, where the shoppers quickly form factions, regressed to their primal instincts.
>A prophet emerges, demanding sacrifice to survive God's wrath upon the world, creating a rift as more and more people die to the monsters in the mist and blood-thirsty humans.
>Main character, with the help of some others, is mainly concerned with the protection of his son. The future, to him, rests on his son's shoulders. He will do anything for his kid. He wants to survive, no matter what.
>After narrowly escaping the shopping mall, he and the survivors return to revisit some locations. All hope seems lost. The mist is everywhere.
>They drive for a long stretch of road, convinced that the world is no more.
>Hearing sounds, and knowing that monsters from the mist will surely get them, they form a suicide pact.
>Main character, with only enough bullets for the group sans himself, shoots them all. Including his own son.
>The final scene is that army comes in, destroying the mist as and the creatures within. The survivors have been driving away from them the entire time. The world isn't over.
>Main character killed four(?) people, including his precious son. The realization sinks in.

That is effective storytelling, though not necessarily hopeful. Compare that with Texhnolyze's clumsy attempts in classifying human nature, faction in-fighting, and so on. The Mist got at the meat of what Texnolyze tried to do in about two hours, rather than the slog of 22 episodes. Lord of the Flies, if you want a literature example.

Yoshii was right though, the people of Lux were getting close to the nature of the surface dwellers, they were complacent and apathetic like above. They couldn't rise up above their traditions and prejudices to become better like Yoshii did. Yoshii tried to cause chaos in order to allow an Ubermensch to rise up and take control of the city, but nobody stepped up. Humanity's only hope is that the Shapes somehow "evolve" into a different lifeform after spending eternity in solitude, unable to move, which is unlikely to happen. Kano was completely wrong because Lux wasn't a manifestation of his mind, so his evolutionary outlook is possibly wrong as well. Yoshii was really the only free person in the story, even Kano was bound to the underground and his own warped mind ironically. Yoshii was the true protagonist.

>Compare that with Texhnolyze's clumsy attempts in classifying human nature, faction in-fighting, and so on.
I didn't think it was clumsy. You have to remember that the humans underground were specifically chosen to go underground because they had "bad genes" and they were considered too "human' to keep living on the surface and were expendable, their only purpose being to mine Raffia for the surface. If you thought it was a slog then that's your fault, not necessarily the show. A lot of Texhnolyze is just unspoken interactions and subtleties that are hard to pick up on the first watch. Every episode serves a purpose in defining one aspect of the city, Texhnolyization, and human nature.

Did you not think that in a similar revelation style to what you described, Texhnolyze's reveal of the surface world was effective? I still also don't understand how Texhnolyze is clumsy outside of your dislike for the shift into philosophy, which, at least unlike Ergo Proxy, is pretty grounded and climactic. From the beginning we are shown the rawness of humanity, its faults, but also its strong points, and the consequences of both straying too far into and away from it. Then, when we learn the truth, we understand exactly why the people underground are so raw and violent.

Still waiting on that Garzey's Wing video. Are you still here user?

i just saw it too about a couple weeks ago. I thought it was a good show, but i wasn't really into it. i'm not in the mood for drama

I know that feel

Are you people serious this show was so bad I regret watching all the episodes

>people discuss why they like a show and go in detail
>dumbass just says it's bad with nothing to back up his opinion
Okay.

Really fucking bad. I don't know how people think the show was good. OH HE'S LE TRAGIC HERO, 10/10

It's bad because it has a bad story.
>oh no I'm all alone in the end
>couldn't save the one I loved
WOW
MUCH GOOD WRITING
SUCH PLOT

>reductionism
>not getting a simple show
>no elaboration
WOW
MUCH THOUGHTS
SUCH VALID CRITICISMS

WOW NICE POST
SUCH REASON
much CRITICAL ANALYSIS

Maybe you should read the thread an see why that's not actually what the show's about

>Speaking of, how do people think Ichise regained use of his tex limbs after the monolith was destroyed? There's a brief cut to the ghost of the Doctor back in her lab that maybe implies she still exists and is supporting him in some form, but that might be a stretch

This thread's a dumpster fire at this point but I'll respond to something written 5 hours ago anyway.

The reactviation of Ichise's texhnolyze may hinge on the fact that both of his limbs carry Doc's genetic material. As early as episode 3 (pic related) when she gives Ichise water, we see that a compartment in her lab is opened by a kind of retinal scanner.

So when the Obelisk ceases to function, the genetic signature in Ichise's limbs unlocks Doc's laboratory, which then functions as a secondary power source for his limbs (or at the very least allows them to function properly again).

Her lab, despite being outside the Class Hill is connected to it and the Raffia pool/"the light" which powers the entire Class fortress. This connection probably explains how she and Kano are able to correspond frequently as shown in the early episodes, and also how he's able to so easily destroy/wipe all of the research in her lab after he decides that he has tired of her work.

On the flip side, while I think this is a pretty compelling theory (especially since it refers back to small visual details established in the first half of the show) there are a few quibbles with it. For one, I'm not sure what about Doc's lab is powering Ichise's limbs, or what the connection between her lab and the Hill entails. All we know about Raffia by the end of the show is that it helps suppress the immune system violently rejecting foreign transplants rather than acting as a power source, so it being the Raffia pool on the Hill seems iffy. Also, the scene immediately after Ichise fights off the crazed mob shows that he needs to take a battery/power cell thing from Kohakura for his limbs to continue working.

I seen the anime, it was shit.

Then go do something you enjoy instead of whining here with no real arguments

Since when did Sup Forums hate Texhnolyze? Usually these threads are pretty positive and all of a sudden everyone's shitting on it?

>doge posting
that's all that needs to be reflected on your opinions

I think there were 2 or 3 people who watched it recently and didn't like it and resolved to ruin everyone else's discussion of it

There has been a noticeable influx of children with bad grammar calling things "shit" and "pretentious" lately.

But it's bad, it deserves to be said because it is bad.

Not an argument, and you're doing nothing good for yourself by staying here like the retard you are

X is bad
There's my argument
YED AN ARGUMENT

>Are they digitized people who are actually holograms?
Watched a long time ago but it seemed like they were just recordings of their lives being stitched and played back, giving canned responses that they've given before.
Its basically a chat AI meant to provide enough stimulation that everyone doesn't go insane as humanity dwindles to zero.

I'm pretty sure this has been the norm for Texh threads since the past year or two.

today was a bad day to make this thread because a major shitposting show released.

Its a great fucking show. It has a unique place for me, as its probably my favorite anime overall and yet none of the four or five people I have recommended it to have gotten past the first three episodes. There's a loneliness to my enjoyment of the series that is almost appropriately thematic in a way.

This show is very feast or famine. The parts where Ichise is just walking/crawling is definitely hard to watch for some as it might not be stimulating enough however, the beauty of the show is the atmosphere and the sound fx used. Serial experiments lain-esque sounds. Was sorta boring in the middle but I definitely appreciate it