Be an anime-only

>Be an anime-only
>Watch only complete adaptations
>Everybody says I should give manga a chance because anime are just glorified advertisements for manga and there's not a lot complete anime
>Search for some finished manga to read
>Pickings are about as slim as complete anime adaptations

What the fuck, Sup Forums? I thought manga was supposed to be rife with tons of finished works that either never got adapted or got adapted only partially.

Other urls found in this thread:

mangadex.com/manga/2251
mangaupdates.com/series.html?act=genresearch
mangaupdates.com/series.html?orderby=rating&category=Dark Fantasy&filter=some_releases
my.mixtape.moe/kkxbvg.epub
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

mangadex.com/manga/2251

Thanks, I guess. I'm not looking for recs, tho. Just wanted to complain about how hard of a time I had looking for something to read that I'd enjoy.

there are thousands of finished manga series, are you retarded?

Anyway, anime tends to adapt the best arcs of the manga, enjoy them for what they are in animation and if you want more read the manga after

>there are thousands of finished manga series, are you retarded?

Not dark fantasy ones. Because that's what I was searching for.

mangaupdates.com/series.html?act=genresearch
learn to use this

Honestly, a search engine wouldn't help me much because a search engine will not tell me whether or not a manga has good writing or not. Ratings don't help much either because majority of manga and anime fans are fucking retarded and consider edgy, trope-filled trash as "well-written" and "mature".

by dark fantasy do you mean Game of Thrones type stuff?

It's more of a Western trope, not very popular in Japanese media (Berserk is an exception to the rule)

>expecting finished manga in the one genre that is defined by the texbook example of a neverending hiatus shitfest

it's still the absolute best tool to find manga with that we currently have available
if you have a feel for it you can judge series based on points distributions and category tags

>by dark fantasy do you mean Game of Thrones type stuff?

Yes, but more in the sense of style of storytelling and not necessarily the setting. I'm okay with a more "anime-esque" character/world designs as long as the writing is good. Even despite that, I had a hard time finding something. I think I found like three or four manga that fit:

>Shin Angyo Onshi
>Feng Shen Ji (I know it's a Manhwa, but I don't really care about that stuff much)
>Vagrant Soldier Ares
>Blade of The Immortal

And that was about it. I asked around in four or five places, including Sup Forums, and nobody could come up with anything else that was finished.

By that I assume you meant Berserk? I know it's the most popular one, but I didn't really think it'd be a representation of how piss-poor in terms of options the entire genre is, desu.

Claymore
Death Note
Dorohedoro
Mushishi

all fantasy series that have dark elements to them, all finished

actually dorohedoro isn't finished but whatever

you can read an unfinished series, it won't kill you

You realize the completed anime you watch aren't completed most of the time, right? Manga do end, and it's not slim pickings at all.

Dorohedoro is not finished, Claymore is just a dumb, edgy shonen, same for Death Note, and Mushishi is not dark fantasy.

>you can read an unfinished series, it won't kill you

I started reading manga precisely because I was tired of how many anime series are unfinished. I don't want to fall into the same trap with manga.

mangaupdates.com/series.html?orderby=rating&category=Dark Fantasy&filter=some_releases

>You realize the completed anime you watch aren't completed most of the time, right?

I do realize that. I also was fine with incomplete adaptations that ended in a conclusive manner. Even then, though, it was extremely hard to find stuff because most anime studios prefer to end on an unresolved cliffhanger to boost the manga sales.

Dark fantasy is not popular in Japan, and you don't find that much in anime either so I don't know what you were expecting.

Read books.

>I would rather not look at all and complain about not finding anything.

>Claymore is just a dumb, edgy shonen, same for Death Note
Dark fantasy IS dumb and edgy

you sound like a miserable cunt who is afraid to try new things

Except I did look. Refer to >Dark fantasy IS dumb and edgy

It is, to an extent, I agree. I'd honestly prefer to limit the edginess to visual designs, though, and not let it seep into storytelling because when that happens, the story turns into a garbage fire.

yeah I mean l look at this list at least half of those are utter garbage.

if you honestly want to find serie in any quantity that are both complete and good you're going to have to learn an asian written language either probably chinese or japanese

>Dark fantasy is not popular in Japan
That totally explains the popularity of stuff like the Souls series or Nier.

>>Except I did look. Refer to
I see, then I repeat Most fantasy in general for Japan is based from video games instead of novels due to the popularity of things like Dragon Quest and Wizardry. They thus have a really shitty, played out, uninteresting idea of fantasy. Even dark fantasy tends to be the same shit over and over with nothing intriguing about it. No politics, no moral dilemmas. Mostly. Berserk is great.

>It is, to an extent, I agree. I'd honestly prefer to limit the edginess to visual designs, though, and not let it seep into storytelling because when that happens, the story turns into a garbage fire.

you're contradicting yourself
>Yes, but more in the sense of style of storytelling and not necessarily the setting.

You're never going to find anything you like by being too specific. Search through manga titles that are completed, when you find one that sounds interesting read it and stop nitpicking over setting and if it's shojo or shounen or seinen.

>you're contradicting yourself
Except I'm not? I'm looking for dark fantasy in terms of writing. That's it. I don't care if the setting is the western idea of a fantasy setting, or one where everybody wears lingerie and bdsm gear, like in Nier.

the Souls series is specifically tailored for Western tastes, and Nier isn't a dark fantasy

>I thought manga was supposed to be rife with tons of finished works that either never got adapted or got adapted only partially.
it is rife with tons of finished works that either never got adapted or got adapted only partially, if you aren't narrowing your search to 'niche of a niche' type shit

>Nier isn't a dark fantasy
If we're taking Automata into account, then I agree. The first one, however, is. Has heavy sci-fi elements, too, but it also has a lot of fantasy stuff in there as well.

>the Souls series is specifically tailored for Western tastes
I don't think that's true at all, it just happened to be the case.

Demon's came out in Japan first, because of course, and the series wasn't explosively popular until a while after Dark came out. It may be truER now, but From is a Japanese company.

Souls is more popular in the west, Nier was not popular anywhere when it was only "dark fantasy", if you want to call it that. Automata is sci fi.

>Nier was not popular anywhere when it was only "dark fantasy", if you want to call it that

I've heard that it only bombed and became "cult classic" in the West, while actually selling relatively well in Japan.

nah, Souls has real time combat and most of the setting and weapons and enemies and characters are based on Western mythology, it was made to sell in the West (which it did)

>most of the setting and weapons and enemies and characters are based on Western mythology

Isn't that most fantasy stuff Japan makes? I mean, 90% of their fantasy is just D&D reimagined in a more anime fashion.

Dark fantasy is a Western genre m8, manga isn't the right medium for it

focusing on genres is generally pleb though, good writing is good writing regardless, and good art is good art regardless

That doesn't mean it was made to sell in the west.

Dungeon Meshi is literally derived from a Western video game with almost exclusively Western mythology and monsters. It was made to sell in Japan.

>focusing on genres is generally pleb

>Looking for stuff fitting what you're currently in the mood for is pleb. You should totally read an ecchi high school romance harem when you're in a mood for dark fantasy because focusing on genres is not what true manga fans do.

That doesn't mean "popular". Doing okay, especially as a Square game, isn't good.

Fuck off.

>especially as a Square game

But Nier wasn't a Square game. It was only published by Square. It's like saying Life is Strange is a Square game.

It's still a Square game, Cavia developed or not. Their name holds a lot of weight after all.

There is some but op is a dumb faggot who wants non-edgy dark fantasy which is pretty much a contradiction. I mean it wasn't that long ago that Akame ga Kill had pretty big threads around here.

Dungeon meshi is going to sell very well in western markets I imagine

I honestly didn't even know Nier had anything to do with Square until somebody told me they were the publishers. That's how much of a "Square game" it is.

So wanting non-trash writing is considered being a dumb faggot? Okay, duly noted.

you're a pleb because you asking for a western genre in a Japanese medium

It says it's square from the getgo, your lack of paying attention is only your own fault

>cavia status: 404 not found

Because fantasy is totally a western-exclusive genre and totally nobody in the east ever heard of it. No, sir.

Sure but saying it was meant for western markets is simply false. Hell, its inspirations with Wizardry appeal largely to the Japanese, because for some mad reason that series is really popular in Japan. Not so here

Desiring a contradiction is considered being a dumb faggot, that whole dark part of dark fantasy literally denotes edginess.

you're asking for the mangaka to appeal to your western sensibilities when he doesn't care, they usually prefer other comics

>>Most fantasy in general for Japan is based from video games instead of novels due to the popularity of things like Dragon Quest and Wizardry. They thus have a really shitty, played out, uninteresting idea of fantasy.

>Desiring a contradiction
I honestly don't feel like repeating what I said for the fourth time, so just read

how do you know they are trash if you haven't read them?

You want non-edgy edgy storytelling, that's a contradiction.

Maybe it's a bit biased of a method, but I just look at what it's compared to in the recommendations. If Berserk is somewhere is there, the manga gets my attention. If it's compared to some trash shonen like Bleach or Shingeki no Kyojin, however, I automatically disregard it.

You're either baiting or genuinely fucking retarded. I said I'm okay with edgy VISUAL DESIGNS and not edgy STORYTELLING. That's not a contradiction.

>Shin Angyo Onshi
That's a manhwa too.

Okay, good to know. I wasn't sure because on MAL it's classified as a Manga, yet the authors are clearly Korean.

Berserk is full of edgy storytelling, you are contradicting yourself

It is. There isn't, however, nearly enough edginess in there to consider the story dumb. All the edginess is nicely balanced by well-executed adult themes and rich character personalities, which can't be said about some other dark fantasy like Claymore.

No you're genuinely fucking retarded because dark fantasy is inherently edgy storytelling and your dumb faggot ass is requesting something non-edgy from said inherently edgy storytelling.

Okay, I tried discussing with you like a civilized person, but you clearly cannot be taken seriously. No matter what you're told you're just spewing the same "durr you're retarded fagget cuz u want non edgy" over and over, not paying attention to what's being discussed at all.

>main character is an angry dude who hates everyone because he got his arm chopped off and his eye poked out while his girlfriend got raped by his demonic best friend
>not edgy or dumb

Except he stops being an angry edgelord after the first arc and the rest of the story is him trying to find some way heal his girlfriend's scarred mind.

how would you know, you don't read unfinished manga

I have a friend who's a Berserk fanatic and spoiled everything for me because he couldn't stop talking about it. I haven't read it myself, but I more or less know the entire story up to this point.

>mfw i can't find a Manga or a LN with good spanish translation

the point that user is trying to make is that dark fantasy is tied to edgy storytelling, it's pretty much inherent within the genre

You made it clear right here your concept of edginess is based on ignorance and you just justify it away however you like, the solution to the problem stated in your op remains, stop being a dumb faggot.

so you haven't read it but you assume it's good because a second hand source hyped it up?

nigga you are really fucking dumb

Well, I can't find any good translations in my language either, so I'm reading everything in English. I can't see why you wouldn't, too.

And I even agreed that it does. I'm not dumb, I know there's always going to be some. My point is that while there might be some edginess in there, the story doesn't have to rely on it throughout the whole thing, and is generally more interesting to read when it cuts off from the edginess as soon as possible and falls more into depressing/melancholic stuff.

Yes because he did all that to convince me to actually read Berserk, as dumb as it sounds, so I don't see why he'd lie about it.

Plus, he's generally an intelligent guy, who is aware Berserk is not perfect and has major flaws, which he pointed out on a regular basis, but even despite that, he still considers it one of the best things he's ever read when it comes to fantasy because of how much the good outweighs the bad. That's why I'm inclined to believe him even more.

I don't remember names but there's groups that do japanese to spanish then spanish to english, pretty sure Trinity 7 was done by one of them at one point.

>I trust my friend's opinion more than my own
do you also let him fuck your girlfriend?

I can't let him fuck something that doesn't exist.

you sad fuck, stop accepting others opinions as fact and experience things for yourself

I try to do that, as much as possible, believe me. Still, when you know somebody for 9 years straight and are absolutely sure this person generally has good taste, reasonable outlook on life, and has little to no bad opinions about stuff (especially when it comes to media analysis), why wouldn't I believe him?

Those don't really exist, not in quantity anyhow. There are plenty of unfinished manga like GATE that are most of what you're looking for, and while they aren't finished, there's a lot already out there to get you started. If you limit yourself to finished manga you're missing out on a lot

Thanks for the tip
Yes i tried to do that, but i don't know actually where the fuck to get the mangas and no one here seems to help
Yes and i know what Google is, but i don't get good ones and with good quality
I don't want some 15 year old's shit translation and crap jpgs
I want to read a manga very comfy

>If you limit yourself to finished manga you're missing out on a lot

Refer to . This was also me, and I specified there why I only want to read finished manga.

Well then there's not much I can say to you, there's really no helping you if you refuse to read so much good manga just because of the off chance it doesn't end up being completed. It's like a vegetarian starving to death at a barbeque

Now taking bets on how many mall swords this guy owns.

There's no helping someone requesting something that goes against it's very definition anways.

you've presumably been watching anime for years and know how and where to find everything - old and new shows

you haven't been reading manga long enough to know "how and where" to find things, so you don't find much and mistakenly assume there's little to be found

lurk moar

I just want a complete experience I can read and enjoy at my own leisure, without being limited by any external factors. Fuck me, right?

>you haven't been reading manga long enough to know "how and where" to find things, so you don't find much and mistakenly assume there's little to be found

Well, I generally was of an opinion that Sup Forums is a good place to ask since there's a lot of passionate anime/manga fans there who should help me out using their extensive knowledge about the medium, but if you consider it not enough, then sure.

>I just want a complete experience I can read and enjoy at my own leisure, without being limited by any external factors.

Go read completed series' of books then, you're simply not going to find too much of that in manga. Malazan is fantastic

Here's 8200 pages to get you started my.mixtape.moe/kkxbvg.epub

you haven't been around here very long if you're not aware that an entire board called work safe requests was created to handle such work safe requests as 'recommend me some manga'

I've already tried getting into dark fantasy via books, but I have a lot of problems acquiring things to read. I can't afford to buy books (I'm an extreme poorfag), I can't afford an ebook reader or a tablet either, none of the libraries in my town had what I was looking for, and I'm definitely not gonna read books on a fucking computer monitor. I value my eyesight.

I don't know where that assumption comes from desu. I'm very much aware of this board and have been asking for anime recs there on the regular. That's why I said I considered Sup Forums to be a good place to ask for that stuff because very rarely was I disappointed with the results of requesting recommendations over there.

Epubs are free, I personally read 95%
of my reading on phone

because you haven't read it lmao

I wouldn't say a book is good when I haven't read it, I don't assume the quality of anything until I know it by own experience

Can't afford a smartphone either. Being poor in a shithole country is fun, ain't it?

Makes sense. Guess I'm gonna have to find out if Berserk is as good as people make it out be myself... in 20 to 30 years when Miura finally dies and one of his assistants finishes the story for him.

It's even worse, honestly. Finished manga tend to have way worse endings than their counterparts. This is due to the fact that a mangaka often doesn't know when their manga will be finished. They just keep drawing until their publisher tells them to stop. At least with anime they know exactly when it will end and can tailor the anime towards that.

>be op
>complains about a thing
>Sup Forums gives op the thing
>"NO YOU DON'T GET IT"
>throws the goal post down a hill all of a sudden and want wants you to hand stand backwards towards it to get what he wants
>always has something to say for every other suggestion that's not perfect in line with his request

Surprised no one told him to git gud at some point and take over the thread entirely.

That's because you really don't get it. The discussion I had with you could be summarized as "you're retarded because you want good writing instead of chowing down edgy shit with a happy grin on your face, like the rest of us". I can accept that there might not be as many manga in that genre that doesn't become an edgy mess, but you insulting me because I don't want to read the shitty ones is just plain retarded.

>you
Who am I? I just got done reading the thread and finding your willingness to be difficult insufferable. You want to be spoonfed so damn hard when you honestly should take the tools and suggestions you've been given and figure out that shit on your own. This perceived edginess you guys keep arguing over is a road going no where because that shit is relatively subjective. You want an acceptable level of it which cannot be gauged by anyone other than yourself. You're asking people to do the work for you when there are people here who are still doing the work for themselves in their own way. Just get as close as you can on your own so you actually know what you're looking for and then ask for more specifics (on the request board) when you actually have more than a few subjective guidelines.

I wish Scum's Wish was scummier.