Can We Discuss Physical and Streaming Anime?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/anime/comments/6gpkj3/crunchyroll_catalogue_per_country/dit76hb/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Sure. My country only has access to 30% of Crunchyroll's catalog (10% average for new announcements) and all physical anime publishing companies are either bankrupt or no longer publishing anything (with the exception of one, which launched a crowdfunding campaign in an attempt to publish another Sailor Moon movie before their expensive license expires). Funimation's streaming service is nonexistent, HiDIVE has a total of five series, Amazon Prime Video and Netflix kind of exist but their offering isn't great either.

What would you like to discuss?

It's shit.
/end discussion

>buying anime

Sure, but why don't you check these dubs first?

>not contributing to the shows you like
It's like you hate anime and want it to die as a medium. Probably a healthy way to look at things.

Netflix won.

Let's not.

>Netflix won.
In which universe?

Pretty much the state of it and the value in it or even streaming illegal and how viable it is to "support the industry" or in cases like yours where the catalog of getting anime legally is fucked compared to many parts of the world. Is it worth buying anime physically? Should we support shitty streaming service practices? These sorts of things.

Why would anyone pay to stream shitty 720p anime when you can download everything for free in higher quality?

Buying stuff is ok for good shows and/or special editions with extra stuff.
Streaming is not okay ever
The end

This one and 86% of the still existing parallel dimensions.

No

Because most people don't give a shit about torrenting or searching for an anime by themselves. They just want to watch some anime while they're traveling on their smart phones.
Streaming service providers have a library that they manage for you, a search function to give you recommendations, and are always available for those who are mobile.
Super practical for people who have jobs and friends and relationships and are living a normal and fulfilling life.

>the catalog of getting anime legally is fucked
The local publisher of The Manga Guide book series, a well-respected scientific publisher, had the release sponsored by the biggest anime piracy site in the country. At this point, our market for anime is so hopeless nobody seems to even slightly care. (The manga market is, however, doing fairly well.)

>Is it worth buying anime physically?
Long story short, buying an anime disc will get more money to the studio than just about any other form of support, in most cases. Of course, buying the Japanese release gets them a lot more.
>Should we support shitty streaming service practices?
Crunchyroll claims to give 50% of your subscription fee to the studios. Whether you consider that fair is up to you. You might need to be more specific about the practices you're particularly upset about.

2018 and streaming sites still have piss poor selection. Even if I subscribed to all of them I'd have to torrent half of my shit.

I hear it's convenient, but I've never had the need to use it with the autistic system I already have in place.

The ABSOLUTE STATE

I've pretty much settled on just downloading everything from nyaa and horriblesubs. I make my weeb offerings at conventions when I buy merch.

Is this not what most people do now? All stream sites are trash...

If you already know what kind of anime you want to watch and where to get it, then you don't need streaming.
If you're lazy and don't care, then streaming is useful.

Nothing on that list says "do not buy anime". "Do not stream" indeed, but we're also discussing physical here.

I been considering getting crunchyroll but I usually use kissanime or torrent from nyaa. And usually buy the physical anime and manga volumes and I been thinking of buying other merch
Never knew this existed

>only using certain players and installing 3rd party codecs
Is this a meme?

I pay for CR for these reasons exactly. I have all those things except friends and a normal and fulfilling life.

Is it wrong to buy translated mangos? I like to read them in bed.

Die casual

id love to buy anime, but then i see 80 bucks for 2episodes + shipping + customs and i dont even own a bluray player. at some point i wanted to start to buy artbooks, but they are fairly hard to come by and id encounter the same problems id encounter with the blurays. fuck waiting a month to finally receive what youve ordered.

Buying stuff like BDs is fine, especially if you are doing it to support the creators. Having a CR subscription is not.

CR is alright if you can find some friends to split the payments with and share the account.

Unlike Netflix they dont do that stupid shit where only X amount of devices can be connected at once, etc.

The current CR account I use is split by like 10 other people so I pay like 5 jewgolds for a whole year

I agree, I find it ridiculous you have to pay 65+ dollars for 3-4 episodes even with no extra features

What do you even use it for?

>have jobs and friends and relationships and are living a normal and fulfilling life

Then why are you watching anime?

>id love to buy anime, but then i see 80 bucks for 2episodes + shipping + customs
This is the tough part of the anime business. They price the episodes in a way which lets them get the money back with a small (few thousand) base of devoted customers. They tried to lower the price and found that appealing to a wider audience in Japan is not worth it.

Consider the foreign releases. They're usually gimped in some manner because the Japanese fear reverse importation, but a lot more affordable.

>at some point i wanted to start to buy artbooks, but they are fairly hard to come by and id encounter the same problems id encounter with the blurays.
Really? Most new (not used) artbooks I've seen are in the $30-$40 price range, which is to me very reasonable.

I honestly can not believe that anyone pays for anime, are you people actually retarded?
How much would it even cost if you wanted to watch all currently airing anime?
40 bucks a month? And what do you even get for that? Certainly not *everything*, at least I would expect that.

Yes, I am poor. No I don't care about "supporting the industry". And everyone who streams illegally and watches some 480p hardsubbed mess is even more retarded.

Just use mpv retard.
No reason to into any of this meme shit if you can have a multi platform, highly customizable media player, which just werks.

This is the correct opinion.

9 times outta 10, I use CR to peek the first couple of eps of a series.

If it seems promising, I'll go dl the season and watch it on my plex.

Otherwise, I don't want to waste the HDD space on something I might or might not wanna keep around

>Paying for CR
>Thinking you are supporting anime

Why you retards think that paying for CR subscription actually support producers in japan?, also you are contribuiting into killing anime since netflix is starting to produce anime because they look at how much money CR makes.

>CCCP
>mplayer
Man this is really old.

Seems fine if you are paying only a very small fraction of the subscription cost. I wouldn't have an account just for that if I had to pay it all by myself.

>How much would it even cost if you wanted to watch all currently airing anime?
Keep in mind that currently airing anime in Japan is also split across a lot of TV stations.

>Why you retards think that paying for CR subscription actually support producers in japan?
50% of your subscription fee goes to producers in Japan, split based on what you've watched and for how long in the month of the subscription. At least, I'd suspect someone from inside the industry would call Crunchyroll out on it if they were lying, or refuse to license further series.

Yeh, not worth it solo, specially since HS posts episodes just as fast, if not faster than CR most of the time

>Otherwise, I don't want to waste the HDD space
>Dont want to waste 600mb on 2 episodes

So you are poor AND retarded.

> mpv
Meme player from Sup Forumstards

>HS posts episodes just as fast, if not faster than CR most of the time
you dont understand how HS works, do you

Just download the first couple of HS rips or something. There is no reason to spend any money on this.

>waste space
It's like fucking like 500mb. Delete it if you don't like it.

It is actually perfect.
All anyone could ever want from a media player.

>50% of your subscription fee goes to producers in Japan

Stop spreading bullshit, they are a private company and they dont inform about those things

It's a good meme though.

I'd say it's supporting Anime more than something like Netflix. Yes Netflix has financed some shows that turned out amazing, as well as licensed some others, but your subscription isn't solely based on Anime.

Of course paying for subscriptions supports producers.
The problem that reddit and the bleeding hearts on Sup Forums don't get is that the anime studios aren't the producers. They're just work slaves for the producers.
So yes, your subscription money does go to whomever owns the electronic distribution rights among the producers.

But only a moron buys things for the sake of supporting the anime industry in the first place. People should just buy whatever they want for their own pleasure.
Buy the nendo because you like it, not because you feel obligated to support some chinese figurine maker in Hong Kong.
Buy the BD because you really intend to rewatch that show in the best possible quality. Not because you think that money goes to dumb starving animators.
Those dumb starving animators never get any money from you anyway, because they're all working for dumb studio presidents who are all too incapable of negotiating a better deal with the producers.

Did you know you can select what you want to download from a torrent?

>Keep in mind that currently airing anime in Japan is also split across a lot of TV stations.
And?
That doesn't make a poorfag like me want to shill out 40 bucks a month to watch all the shows I want.

It costs ~$500 a year (with bulk discounts) for subscriptions to Amazon, CR, HIDIVE, Hulu, and Netflix.

If I were to even consider being a streamfag, either this cost would have to be drastically lower,
or the video/audio/sub quality and overall feature-set provided by these sites would need to be drastically higher.

Even if we divorce the ability to watch decent quality seasonally airing anime from a high quality library of past shows,
no solution even comes close to addressing either of these cases.

Not him but why mpv is good? Is it better than MPC?

kill yourselves, you dumb CR shills, watching anime legally doesn't support the animation studios at all anyway, the money goes to production committees and to CR themselves, same goes to buying BD discs, fuck the anime industry for being so shit and impossible to actually support

reddit.com/r/anime/comments/6gpkj3/crunchyroll_catalogue_per_country/dit76hb/

Here's a German member of the Crunchyroll staff saying the same thing.

I don't want a bunch of incomplete seasons and series in my collection.
And yeah, 500MB here and there adds up after a couple of years.
I lose nothing at all by peeking a show before I DL the series.

How do YOU do it? Mirror all of nyaa on your PC?

>crunchyroll
>ass quality
>half-assed subs
>honorifics

crunchyroll is the one that kills fansubs, well, it's already happening. Enjoy their service, faggot.

At least try to make your bait convincing.

>Paying for anime when it airs on TV

>download something
>if I don't like it, delete it
Wow so hard.

>streaming anime while riding the bus

Nigga just buy an used smartphone, a 64 gig microsd card and fill it with anime.

Sasuga, Sup Forums.

You’re not, user?

Why does Netflix only have one of the Persona 3 movies? And why is it not even the first one? Why it take them so long to get all 3 Berserk films?

not to mention, the retarded cunts that use CRshit actually get lower quality for the majority of the older CR catalog(2016 and earlier), because they didn't fix their reduced video quality after that scandal

Multiplatform, light on resources, insanely configurable and very active development.

Is this what you tell yourself so you can sleep at night user?
Dont project

>Supporting reddit and dont even try to hide it
>Supporting the anime subreddit and being proud of it
>Actually using arguments you found on reddit
>LINKING TO REDDIT

The absolute state of Sup Forums.

Thanks for remind me why i didnt come here to discuss anime, faggots.

Fuck pirates, worthless parasites.

you set up rss for animebytes, download stuff, cancel the subscription once you stopped watching something and delete everything that isnt at least very good. why the fuck would i ever bother store stuff that i thought was barely OK? i have 12tb of storage dedicated to cartoons, but i sure as hell wont save seasonal shit that i dropped 4 episodes in.

>why mpv is good?
It just works.
It is also more actively developed and has multi platform support.

>Is it better than MPC?
I don't know, it is windows only software so I have no clue.

It's not about supporting "the industry", it's about supporting specific shows of franchises you want to see more of. That's what most people who buy merch and BDs aim for.
I have never seen anyone doing it for the anime industry, and I doubt anyone who pays for CR does it primarily for that reason, if they care about it at all.

Like watching Boku No Pico on the go!

>Linking to official word of the Crunchyroll staff which they happened to post on Reddit

There's no other source for it, so I have to use the one available. Contact Crunchyroll and tell them you'd like their representative to come to Sup Forums, I'm sure you'll do well.

My self worth issues aren't affected by my pirating, try harder.

I completely agree with this shit.
I pay for Crunchyroll and Netflix and that's because my wife and I watch a shitton of TV shows and movies, while I also really like Anime, but the cost to have all the different anime platforms is just too stupid.
Especially in the case of AmazonPrime, where you have to get amazonprimevideo and then another sub to access the anime service.
I'll never sub to Amazon, Hulu, etc. So whatever anime they have that I want to watch I'll keep pirating

kill yourself, you shill, this is the straight up truth, the money made goes to production committees, not fucking anime studios, you fucking pile of shit

>implying TV is free
Not in most developed countries.

This shit is so outdated holy fuck.
>CCCP
ILMAO

Remember when linking to reddit would ban you?.

i have a hard time believing that 90% of all people pirate their tv shows.

Look at mister Moneybags McJew over here with his solo CR sub

>my wife

I don't think you understand the purpose of his post but I'm pretty sure you're just shitposting

I actually got a CR from some random guy over the internet and I don't pay a single penny for it.

But to be honest AB is better for old anime while HS is better for airing anime

Not the guy you were replying to, but I have a hoarding problem.
Whenever I download something I hardly ever delete it.

>you are contributing to killing anime because more companies fund anime production
you people sure are retarded

>honorifics
I don't mind them because there's no English equivalent for them. Unless you want to read shit like Miss, Lady and little before every girl's name.

Fuck off america, stop spreading your cancer culture over other countries

I member

I'd link to 9gag if it happened to have an official statement from a verified staff member from an organization relevant to a discussion. Can't be helped that many companies answer questions on Reddit over Sup Forums. I mean, unless you're Studio TRIGGER.

My problem with his post was that he said HS was just as fast if not faster than CR. Which is impossible for obvious reasons. The only anime I would pay for are films.

You are watching some cartoon from another country AND culture, at least take 1min to learn their honorifics and what do they mean.

>A manga is available legally in my country
>It got anime adaptation
>Can't watch the anime legally because licensing "restriction"
This is a shit.

'
CR has been a part of the production committee for some anime since the last few seasons.

>2020
>90% of anime is funded by American companies
>No more fan service, no more lolies, no more moe, forced sjw themes in every show.
Hell yeah, I can't wait for it.

Streaming has already overtaken physical. If you can't adapt to that then get the fuck out.

>t. thirdworlder

Indeed, I agree - what's the point in not letting me watch the anime in my third world country? Do they really think any company here can afford their licensing fee? It's literally pointlessly losing money.