Why the hell isn't Ashita no Joe talked about more...

Why the hell isn't Ashita no Joe talked about more? I pretty much started it on a whim and now I'm on episode 20 of S2 and it's easily the best anime I've seen.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-j8sX95vkfc
youtube.com/watch?v=RrlVyY0mXkE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I guess none of you like it then?

I'll just accept you all have awful taste and move on.

It's an old anime. People rarely bring it up because they've all seen it and don't need to discuss it since it's not airing.

/thread

Even anime that isn't that old doesn't' get much traction here. Unless it's Evangelion or something like that.

You would be better off creating a thread that is just generally about older anime and then bringing up Ashita no Joe in that. It would probably get more responses.

I wish I could find all these people who've seen it, because as far as I can tell like 10 people total have watched it.

I would call it better but RoV is also top tier.

I visit Sup Forums like once a year so I have no idea how threads work.

I haven't seen the anime because I read the manga.

>I visit Sup Forums like once a year so I have no idea how threads work.
See as an example. And don't include an unnecessary carriage return after your redtext and before your blacktext, it makes you stand out as a tourist.

Because Sup Forums has shit taste

The anime is still worth watching even if you've read the manga, one of the rare cases where I actually prefer the anime over the manga. Also I have no idea what a carriage return is.

It does, but it's also the only place where I've seen older anime mentioned at all so I figured this would be the most likely place to find people who'd watched Joe.

We're only allowed to occasionally talk about shows from before 2004 in the occasional retro thread. Sup Forums is for waifus and shitposting mostly. You've got good taste though OP so congrats.

We'll probably be able to have some nice stealth Joe threads when Megalobox starts airing. youtube.com/watch?v=-j8sX95vkfc

Megalobox was the reason I finally got around to watching and reading Joe, now I've got unrealisticly high expectations for it that it'll almost certainly fail to live up to.

I actually just started it myself and was going to make a thread, but this one will do.

Joe's kind of a massive asshole, isn't he?

Joe's character development is the main reason why I've enjoyed it so much, it's honestly baffling how an anime/manga that's 50 years old at this point can get so many things right that almost all anime/manga since get so wrong.

The anime worth watching if I've read the manga?

Over 90% of neo-Sup Forums haven't even seen it. "gurren lagann reference"

Am I the only one disappointed by S2? Maybe it was just the ludicrous hype it had and by how good S1 was, but I only got a great show instead of a legendary one.

Osamu Dezaki got way more tame in the ten years between the shows. In S1 Dezaki wasn't afraid to do weird backgrounds, unrealistic coloring, stuff that he was doing to cover up the fact that the animation wasn't all that great, but it worked. Even though S1 made by a team with not all that much money, the shots are a fuckton more interesting than S2, which just spams Postcard Memories left and right. The best example is the Rivera fight, which fucking blew in S2 compared to the crazy shit that went on in the S1 fight, both thematically and visually.

Also, fuck them for getting rid of Joe's original whistle.

I get why he is that way and shit and Im plenty vested and can't wait to see how this shit goes but still, goddamn

To be fair, how long have we even had subs?

I've been reading an arc in the manga, then watching that arc in the anime and I'd say it's definitely worth it, there's a few filler episodes that're pretty bad but the anime also adds some scenes that expand on parts in the manga that I felt worked really well, and in some cases were better than the manga counterparts.

You know people post that ironically, right?

stop reddit spacing.

I'm actually the other way around, I find the 70's anime kind of a bore, while the 80's one make me wanna spit out Sup Forums buzzwords like kino and shit because of how fucking good I felt it, like, it took the original manga work and actually did a fucking good work expanding on it, Jose feels more like a character, the Malay guy fight doesn't feel as out of place as it did, ex-juvie lads feel good, the OPs and ED are great, and Rikishi's theme is fucking glorious
youtube.com/watch?v=RrlVyY0mXkE

I loved the gritty animation style S1 had, but I was fine with S2's animation too, frankly I'm amazed how well animated it was for the time. The thing that's bothered me the most about S2 so far is the far too frequent triple takes.

I actually liked Joe from the beginning, I've always enjoyed asshole main characters, especially if they're done well.

IIRC it's only been 3 or 4 years since it's been fully subbed too.

>IIRC it's only been 3 or 4 years since it's been fully subbed too.

Yeah so there ya go. Expecting people to know this show from 50+ years ago that wasn't even available to see is just ludicrous. Especially when the fags whining about TTGL, probably only know Joe through reputation

To be fair probably 99% of western anime fans first learned about Joe through other anime referencing it.

I remember you forever.

There was a thread yesterday.
I think it's getting more attention recently since Ippo has gone to shit.

Didn't Ippo go to shit a long time ago? I barely remember anything after David Eagle and I read up to around chapter 1100 before I just gave up.

It's been coasting for a while but didn't become irredeemable to recently

It's been 40 years user, everything that could be discussed was discussed already.

I haven't kept up with it since I stopped at all so I have no idea what's gone on since then, literally the only things I remember from the last hundreds of chapters before I stopped was Itagaki finally losing again and Kimura and Aoki finally getting real matches again and both of them losing.

The further I get into Joe the more I realise how all the parts I actually liked about Ippo were basically just taken from Joe, except they were done way better in Joe.

You say that, but the vast majority of people on here wouldn't have been able to watch/read it until a few years ago, and as far as I can tell despite it now being fully subbed and the manga translated most people still haven't watched or read it.

I've just watched episode 22 of S2 this is depressing as fuck, the worst part is I already know the ending so I know it's only going to get more depressing from here

Ippo's coach taught him so badly he got career ending brain damage

From what I remember Kamogawa seemed like a pretty bad coach so that isn't too surprising, there was a bunch of foreshadowing for ages that both Ippo and Takamura were starting to have problems but nothing had become of it at the point I stopped.

I got tired of watching his retarded "no guard" strategy. That wolf fight where he got his ass kicked the whole match, but won with one punch, with an impossible damage multiplier.

I think that might be a flaw of the genre. You have to keep the hero on the ropes but you have to let him win

Joe's already lost 4 times and drawn once at the point I'm up to, and it feels like he might lost his next match as well

Only read it. Best shounen around, desu.

People don't remember anymore.

it's not that people don't remember, it's that anyone old enough to have seen this and post about it would be dead

Because Osamu Dezaki is not that considered as a big name in the western sphere (although RoV or Cobra are HUGE in some places) in the same way people like, dunno, Satoshi Kon or Kunihiko Ikuhara are. It's a shame since his 70s-early 80s run is easily the best anybody has had to offer in japanese animation ever (probably). It's probably because most of his work is an adaptation, even though they tend to be more about his vision of the themes rather than trying to replicate it (up to making a 40 fucking episodes long show about Oniisama e... which focused mostly on a Rebecca-esque plot with the truly secundary Himemiya character).

Has anyone seen his later work? Snow White, Ultraviolet, Tale of Genji, the Hamtaro movies... They mostly look like contract job under pretty tight budgets (and early digital was bad with those), so I've dismissed them for a long time. Nobody seems to say nothing good about them, but same thing happens to his criminally underrated Lupin TV specials.

I just finished it recently and the ending felt incomplete as glorious of a send-off as it was. But damn what a great time I had, watching this series as a whole.

Sup Forums has been having plenty of threads with newfags who just got into the series for a year now, keep up.

There should be an retro anime board. It worked wonders with /m/, there's a bunch of stuff that wouldn't even have gotten translated if mecha hadn't have gotten a board of its own.

I know Sup Forums in general wouldn't like it but it's the only way to have continuous discussion and content about older stuff without a general.

That's actually a good idea, it's working pretty well in /vr/

>It worked wonders with /m/
Can you really say this with a straight face? Just leave Sup Forums as it is. The whole point of the board is the variety of tastes which make it come together as a good community.

>can't even get a manga board
>wants a 2nd anime board
good luck

Pre-2000 threads are already bad.

Speaking of Megalobox, in the trailer you can already spot Megalobox's equivalents of Joe, Rikishi, Yoko, and Danpei.
I hope the similarities to the original are only superficial like that, or we may end up knowing every plot beat in advance which would make for a very unexciting viewing experience.

We're at least 26, that's not too bad.
Just wait for the reboot that will everyone make enjoy the original.

I started this and remember stopping because it was still being fansubbed. Guess I'll restart.

Don't remember much. Only one scene that Joe is somewhere where there is a bunk bed and someone is getting pummeled. Hard.

m8 we can't even get a manga board thats desperately needed because of the massive fucking flood of EOP animeonlys that ruin this place.

>Joe reboot or remake
I wonder which studio would make it? Would be interesting to see if another Joe anime sparks a new wave of Japanese nationalism like the original did

Dezaki is my favourite director, but I think he started to lose his touch after Black Jack. The Snow Queen was decent, but it contained some obnoxious elements like the two lackeys of the Queen who were a knock-off of Pain and Panic from Hercules. The second Golgo film, while well directed, came off as pointlessly edgy in parts, as well as having several instances where Golgo could have easily killed his target, but for some reason didn’t.

I don’t really hold it against him though. In the almost 30 year period between Remi and Black Jack he produced some of the greatest anime ever made (making RoV and AnJ2 back-to-back is no small feat).

Sometimes it's discussed, but I guess you can't expect daily threads from a 50 years old manga.

Reminder not to talk about Joe or other good retro manga or anime otherwise Pewdiepie will find out about it and give them a terrible fanbase.

There's nothing more pathetic than these "reee why don't you reply to my thread? you all suck, shit taste reee" posts.

Fuck off. You could have bumped the thread with genuine icebreakers about the show to discuss about. Nobody's going to humor you for being late to the party if you're just going to be a piece of shit.