WataMote: Relationships

What relationships, platonic or romantic, do you think are or will be the most significant in WataMote? Which do you wish to see more of, or what do you think has been hinted as having future significance? And how you think Nico Tanigawa will flesh them out by the manga’s end?

I think Tomoko will get a boyfriend before the manga end.

If he's a least a little developed, I'd find it a interesting turn.

It would be nice have a older guy in the manga besides tomoki.

I think something is going on between them too.

Do you think that Kiyota Yoshinori could fit that role? If I remember right, Tomoko has a thing for blondes, and him being a friend of someone she knows (Nemoto) makes him slightly more likely a possibility than "Hot Guy Sempai" or the like.

I think Kiyota would be right person for someone like tomoko. I seen Kiyota checking out tomoko in some chapter's.

If we get some more time with him sure. I know there's speculation on if he's actually heading towards that role considering Nemo is now the BFF. It would be interesting to see Tomoko's screw up romantically regardless.

I can see that from Nemo's side, at least. It's hard to interpret her desire to see her light-side friend being flustered about her doing VA work for hentai any other way.

She's not gay, she spends a good deal of time masturbating to boys to be gay...

He DID notice her (or at least her school uniform) when they crossed paths in that burger restaurant in like Chapter 4 or so.

And he seemed really excited when he got her to talk to him in Chapter 37, so he seems to find her at least interesting. He actually was the first person in their class to ever talk to her, even BEFORE Nemo, so it's not like he simply found it interesting that his friend would associate with someone like her (like Okada later did). If she ends up with ANY guy, he's definitely the one who has the most going for him.

A lot people for get that.

I'm worry about /u/ get really piss about that happened.

Well, she also spends a lot of her time sexually harassing Yuu (or used to) and has an otherwise unusual interest in other girls panties, so I think she's at least bisexual.

But the picture itself simply depicts a platonic relationship that was significant in her life; after all, Imae was the one who gave her hope during her first year, and was the reason she decided to become someone who could give back to others at the end of the second. Both platonic and romantic relationships are open to discussion, so I don't think that the pic is totally unrelated.

Remember that most women are bisexual, and they are capable of swinging their romantic interests from other girls to boys, which men are incapable of.

What's with this "tomoko will get a bf" bait on every single watamote thread on Sup Forums? I mean, it's not even a good bait. Tomoko barely interacts with boys and boys barely recognize her. On the other hand, she's desired by at least 3-4 girls right now. The manga depicts her as a bisexual with a less superficial view on lesbian relationship than on straight one. And she imagined about actually loving her partner despite how the society views them in a lesbian relationship, yet for her having a husband/bf is only good for uplifting her social status and supporting her neet life.

On a related note Nico's 2 other mangas also have yuri undertones in them with no hint of any het.

Well, a true fan would only get mad if the writing started going bad. If they get angry simply because relationships don't turn out the way they want, regardless of how well it is written, then they aren't really true fans. We should just ignore backlash that doesn't understand the work.

Because the initial premise of the series was that she wanted a boyfriend. It's even in the title of the manga.

In watamote's case the yuri hints have always existed.

No, the initial premise is she's unpopular among boys.

Your right about that we should just ignore them and enjoy the manga.

Well, Emily Uchi certainly does, and so does her cousin Kiko (though I wouldn't encourage that). Given what we now know about the perverted pleasure Nemo gets out of seeing Okada flustered, there's a decent argument to be made that she has a similar interest in Tomoko. But I don't think it's fair to Tanigawa's writing to collapse all her friendships into something romantic or sexual, as that's never going to be true even for a lesbian, and tends to ignore the importance of platonic bonding between kindred spirits that they've been trying to emphasize.

In general, people are bound to interpret the message of this manga differently, and personally I think it is sad if either hints of interest in girls or of potential relationships with boys are downplayed.

she is strange and does not know how to communicate, so she tries and does something embarrassing, this is the joke, she does not realize that this sexually harassing because she has no experience in dealing with people

Pineapple is dead, long live Pineapple!

Yurif/a/gs can stay. Y/u/rifags can fuck off.

she has a hard time dealing with girls, boys are totally out of the question, they are aliens for her

Ucchi has really grown on me lately. I find myself rooting for her any time she's on page.

Can someone tell me the difference in pronounciation between Uchi and Ucchi?

With Ucchi, there's an almost imperceptible pause between U and Chi. With Uchi, you just pronounce it how it is.

I'm only saying that you may be overlooking possible hints that she may mature and be able to form more meaningful relationships with guys at some point in the future. Her relationships with other women used to only consist of an interest in panties and grabbing their breasts or butts, until she started becoming better acquainted with them. It doesn't seem impossible that she might become better acquainted with the boys in her class during her third year, and mature in how she regards them by the end of the manga.

I should also say that it's perfectly fine if she ends up getting with Emily instead. If they can write it well, the sex of her partner really shouldn't matter to the audience, as it'd be good art either way.

I should also point out that it's not entirely true that Nico Tanigawa never does het, as I presume you put it. Their first manga Choku! was entirely about a het romance; it may not be as good as their more recent works, but that's probably largely because they were just starting out.

Ucchi has a last name now it's Emiri.

Actually, Uchi is her surname. Emiri is her given (first) name.

I'm doing the thread of that today I was about do to a thread yesterday but I was drawing nemo.

You're going to scare all of Sup Forums to death with that picture. Very accurate.

Which chapters are you going to dump?

KIMO!

Does Sup Forums think that Tomoko seemed happy about Tomoki coming to her class when she told Yuri, because she wanted the two of them to meet?

Pages 1-30 tomorrow page's 31-61 I'm gonna be doing this all week.

it's Tomoko. she just wanted to show off that she knows a boy.

Seems like a good pace, hopefully some people start reading it.

Was this Ucchi's first appearance?

It should work I want more people on Sup Forums to read it.

Underage pls leave

Fucking hell how often do we have to go over this. Tomoko getting a boyfriend by manga's end would be extremely out of place both tonally and character-wise.

At very best I think (if forced to predict romance) there'll be a y/u/ri end, but only faintly implied. Most likely thing is that it'll end with her having a half dozen or so very strong platonic relationships, the seeds of which are already being sown. And that's fine.

Reminder that this delusion beta soyboy will probably make a reappearance and swoon Tomoko with HIGH SCHOOL CHUUNIBYOU. And the entire fucking class will cheer them on.

Yeah, but the effect is sort of ruined if she blabs that he's her brother. When she tried doing that type of thing back in middle school to impress Komi and Yuu, she initially didn't tell them that he was her brother. And when Komi found out, she was no longer impressed by the fact that Tomoko knew a boy. (This was before Komi fell in love with Tomoki, btw.)

Yuri is the only person in high school who Tomoko has told that she had a brother (though Ucchi found out because of how obsessed with Tomoko's face she is). Yuri was at least mildly curious when she first brought up her sibling, so maybe Tomoko wanted to introduce them due to that? Especially now that they're more involved in each other's lives compared to the previous semester.

Katou's first technical appearance was also the person on the phone telling her that the class needed to go to the baseball stadium.

I think she's just proud of her bro for being a relative normie. It's like, a vicarious thing.

Ucchi would kill to get to sit beside Tomoko on a bus like before. And God knows what she'd do so they could share a room again.

Maybe Yuri's inner monologue mean that she knew of a lot of chuunibyou guys in middle school, and that's why she is not really off-put by Tomoko's crazy behavior.

Right now the most significant relationship in the manga Tomoko and Yuri. I expect Yuri will replace Yuu as Tomoko's best friend due mostly to proximity but also because Tomoko is more at ease and herself around Yuri whereas she wants to motorboat Yuu's titties.

As for Tomoko getting a boyfriend, I think she'll make friends with boys and there will be the potential for a bf after HS, but we probably won't see it unless we get Watamote College.

What does this mean?

I can definitely see that being part of her reason for being happy that her brother was coming to her class. It'd be a way of increasing her social cred in her class and among her friends by association: "If HE'S my sibling, obviously I can't be THAT bad".

But I wonder if she didn't also want to have Tomoki meet her friends, now that she actually has some sort of social life she could show off to him, outside of Komi (who they both regard as crazy). Trying to have him meet Yuri would make a lot of sense if that was her aim; Tomoki himself seemed surprised by how normal she was for a friend of his sister, though Tomoko has no way of knowing about that.

So, I think there's a good argument to be made that she'd want to show them off to each other for her own self-gratification. I don't think that that necessarily has to imply that she "ships" them or anything of the kind (that'd be highly uncharacteristic for a possessive older sibling like her).

>tends to ignore the importance of platonic bonding between kindred spirits that they've been trying to emphasize
Who are you to tell me what they're trying to emphasize here? Nemo's and Akane's relationship has been outed to be non-platonic, at least from Nemo's side. I think the platonic has been concluded by the end of 2nd year when Tomoko finally found friends and regained her ability to communicate normally with other people. Now during the current arc, her relationship gets far more complicated. It's not simply about friendship anymore, now it has escalated into trust, loyalty, sacrifice, and even romantic and sexual attraction.

>hints of interest in girls or of potential relationships with boys are downplayed
She never had any potential with boys, but her interest in girls are very obvious, and so is ucchi's.

summarizing, "I want yuri I want I want I want"

Ucchi's second appearance

Man, /u/ is fucked up in the head.

Tomoko isn't going to get a BF during her remaining school years because she isn't mature enough.
Maybe in a few years when she's a mature adult but right now? Questionable.

meant for
Could you like prove the otherwise?

Emoji imposter

Is Yuri autistic?

They don't care if it hurts watamote they only want to see 2 girls kissing.

Yuri will become Tomoko's important "private" friend - the one she feels most comfortable to be around. Also, I think Yuri will end up as Tomoki's girlfriend - and Tomoko will reluctantly approve of that.
Nemo will be Tomoko's equally important "social friend", with whom she hangs out from time to time. Nemo will make it her mission to fix Tomoko's image and teach her how to be attractive. Eventually, she will be the one to introduce Tomoko to her future boyfriend (Kiyota, perhaps).

hurts watamote in what way exactly?

What about Komisomething?

They don't care about the story only want to girl making out.

I feel like the manga is less and less based around Tomoko in every new chapter

The story centers around the relationship between the girls though.

She's a joke character. So is Ucchi.

>Also, I think Yuri will end up as Tomoki's girlfriend
Let's not forget, this idea is based on the two of them talking once for about 3 seconds. The rest of your post reads like cheesy fanfic too.

Nothing wrong with speculating on potential developments but is it so hard to have it rooted in some sort of reality?

Not at all. It's Tomoko's story.

How in the flying fuck does the opinion/wish of some random reader influence the manga in any way? what are you on about son?

Because Tomoko hooking up with some guy is so much better for watamote? Showing your bias there m8. Neither a het nor a yuri end will "hurt" it if handled well.

And that's not a bad thing. A good writer doesn't let their story grow stagnant.

>Platonic
No platonic relationship is ever going to top Tomoko and Imae in significance. Want to see a Tomoko/Asuka chapter though. I have the feeling Kuro and Fang will wind up becoming good friends actually.

>Romantic
Nemo/Akane

Well, i can't dissagree, but stories about an autistic loner were more enjoyable for me

Maybe because i am one, but still, the previous chapters seemed more fun to me

I want her to do lewd things to me with her feet.

Look at this or pic related. Who could even resist? Much like the Pineapple she is tough and thorny on the outside but soft and sweet on the inside.

Imagine how insane will the Prom Night arc will be.

Yes, her relationship with other girls.

Do japs have prom? I don't think I've ever seen a prom episode in anime.

Wait is this the same author as Watomote? I love it, just never noticed. Those four together are so good.

I don't think Tomoko's going to turn out to be gay, m'dudes. Her interest in fondling other girls' bodies has always been played for comedy.

Toradora though

Yeah, both made by Nico Tanigawa.

Wasn't that a Christmas party?

Please no. This would be the worst shit to do to all the Tomokofags out there, myself included.

This manga is on its way out. The relationships don't matter.
The manga doesn't even focus on Tomoko anymore.

>she spends a good deal of time masturbating to boys to be gay...

y-yeah, that's not gay at all

I'm not saying that Nemoto's relationship with Akane Okada is platonic; in fact, I've previously agreed with other posts that suggest it is not. But I don't understand why the understanding that SOME close relationships between girls are not platonic has to mean that ALL are not.

And I don't really understand how "trust loyalty and sacrifice" are somehow excluded from platonic relationships. They shouldn't be assumed to only stem from romantic investment, as that really reduces their independent significance.

Whether or not she has ever had any potential with boys is a matter of interpretation. Different people see different things when they read the same work, and as long as they all proceed from the text itself, they are all legitimate, until the text forecloses the possible. Until the manga is closer to ending, it is not really possible to say what has no chance of happening with any certainty.

>Her interest in fondling other girls' bodies has always been played for comedy.
True, but then again so too has her penchant for eroge and dick talk.

I think she's sexually confused though which isn't uncommon for teenagers what with all the hormones and shit and the manga captures it perfectly. Probably het but can't totally rule out potential homo either.

She straight up talks about sexually harassing and molesting Yuu. The real issue is that her brain is so warped by anime and eroge that she probably sees it as just a bit of friends being playful in a friendly manner not helped by Yuu not being very assertive or inclined to get mad or say a bad word about or to anyone.

Not him, but how is that not a bad thing? The story absolutely can and should be interesting without taking the focus away from its MC. Especially when Tomoko had finally started to show some radical growth during her second year graduation. I'd say now more than ever I'd like to see how she feels. Does she think of Yuri & as friends? Does she even realize she's been making friends? Does she still want to be a bit more like her senpai? Does she even still care or was that a one time thing? How does she currently feel about Nemo? In the past she's tried taking the initiative to talk to her about anime and even went out of her way to take a bullet for her in order hide her secret. Did these recent chapters change her view of her? I don't fucking know, and that really bothers me when instead of showing me that, the manga keeps focusing on things like Ucchi's creepy as fuck obsession with her which end up not mattering at all since Tomoko is oblivious to all of it.
Don't get me wrong, I think introducing all these new cast members was the right turn for the story, but honestly having Tomoko not even be the main POV of most recent chapters is just rubbing me off the wrong way.

Ucchi's obsession with Tomoko was played for comedy until the most recent chapters where, while still comedic, it went from goofy stalker obsession to genuine romantic feelings on her part.