Evangelion fanboys actually believe there's depth and substance to the show's religious symbolism

>evangelion fanboys actually believe there's depth and substance to the show's religious symbolism

Other urls found in this thread:

evangelion.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_religious_and_philosophical_terms_in_Evangelion
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I appreciate NGE,but I like to believe that they didnt know what the fuck they were doing in the first place and that the ending was confusing just for the sake of being confusing.

Was it uncommon to get distributed to the West back then?

Anime started getting popular in North America around the time of Evangelion release.In France,anime and even Tokusatsu were already a big thing the in the decade preceding Evangelion.

Honestly I think Evangelion would have been worse if they tried to give the symbolism some greater meaning. It's pretty obvious to me that it was meant as an aesthetic choice and nothing more, but I can't imagine how unbearably pretentious it would have gotten if they tried to incorporate it into the writing.
Doesn't stop MALfags from trying to inject some sort of bullshit meaning though, so I guess they got to have it both ways in the end.

the christian stuff is bullshit but the kabbalastic homages really make the show

death of the author
it doesn't matter what they thought they were making
what matters is how we interpret it
the creator is completely irrelevant once the work is public

>>>/2013/

>brainlets actually think it was supposed to be "meaningful" simulation and not just imagery

Evafags BTFO

Dumbass newfags. Who_DIDN'T_already know this?

Retards like you, but you don't want to admit it.

What are you even talking about? No one praises EVA for the Christian shit. They praise it for psychological content with Shinji and the other anti-heroes.

How does it feel being both a newfag and an idiot?

evangelion.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_religious_and_philosophical_terms_in_Evangelion

>Also, many times things such as cross-shaped energy explosions are used, but these instances in particular don't really seem to have a higher meaning. The creators themselves admitted using the emblems of Christianity simply because they "looked cool,"

How does it feel to be illiterate?

The symbolism is deep within the context of the show. It isn't supposed to have a christian meaning, they just used some of their symbols rather than starting from scratch. If you can't understand this simple fact it's probably 2d4u.

I don’t know why you people are taking this seriously when anything that Anno or Gainax says is always complete bullshit to catch everyone of guard, look at the voice and face that Anno puts on in those interviews - he is playing ditsy retard. If you would infer deeper then what you said, then maybe you realise there is an artistic point to the foriegness of Christianity in the first place.

>If you would infer deeper then what you said
stop, you're embarrassing the people you're trying to defend

Case in point: way to prove your stupidity, evafanboy.

Hahaha, this is too easy.

no it isn't.
it's just there because someone thought it would look cool

anno has been riding the SO DEEP SO DARK SO BRILLIANT thing and letting faggots like you people pump up his nonsense for well over two generations now.

> I am going to be completely close minded and ignore all the connections my mind makes while watching the show, because people who made the show told me it did not mean anything.

Do you mean that when Anno said he liked Asuka because she was beautiful meant nothing at all, and that it doesn’t relate to her character in any way?

The religious symbolism is only surface dressing, but Evangelion still has substance in it's psychological themes.

YOU get put in charge of writing a DEEP anime to confuse audiences with lots of pretentious references

what topic and source do you rip off?

It's well-known that most artists do not actually think that deeply about what they do, it's more of a subconscious thing.

Most artists maybe, but good artists do massive amounts of research before they start a project. This is especially true for writers.

Princess Tutu was good, but I wouldn't call it smart.

okay tier bait

Fixating on the religious stuff is the mark of a pleb. The show is a character study, the plot doesn't really matter. It's the characters that are deep and complicated, not the name of the show.

Of course it (generally) matters what the author intended. Good authors create works that reflect their intent, and part of that is knowing your audience. The quote OP posted recognizes this. They slapped a bunch of Christian imagery on a show because it looked cool and they knew their intended audience wouldn't read too much into it. However, that same imagery carries a lot of implications in the west where Christian symbols and themes are part of our common culture.

I don't entirely disagree with you though. The audience's interpretation does matter and if they got something out of the work that the author didn't intend, I don't think the author has a lot of say in changing that after the fact. I see that as a something of a failure on the authors part.

That being said, I don't know why people think there is a lot of deep meaning hidden in Evangelion's Christian imagery. The symbols/names they use are so disconnected from their original meaning and context that it's pretty obvious they just slapped some cool sounding foreign names on shit and called it a day.

>son called upon to save humanity by his father, getting crucified at the end

Looks cool haha

>they unironically believe it's a deconstruction
What else is new?