"Show, don't tell!" is a hipster meme

"Show, don't tell!" is a hipster meme

You can add HxH to the list.

"Show don't tell" is a retard way to explain that exposition infodumps moments shouldn't be too big and boring

Nope, you don't understand the phrase

Polygon Godzilla is a perfect example of failing completely at "show, don't tell".

Explain

"Show, don't tell" is meant to apply to every part of the story. Let's use characters as a simple example. Most anime make the mistake of introducing the hot chick, telling us she's ultra smart, top of her class, and then she spends the rest of the anime acting like a fucking idiot. Good character introductions, we'll go with L from Death Note, start by showing the character DOING something intelligent, i.e. narrowing down Light's location to a single prefecture. We don't need the manga to tell us L is smart, we already understand that from what it's shown us.

Again, this applies to every facet of the story.

Yep

HxH even tell you how itchy is someone's balls and each drop of sweat that go through your ass, the hell.

HxH is a very interesting story told in the laziest way possible. It got even worse when they adapted it, to the point the show was split between powerpoint presentations and running cycles/talking heads exposition sequences.

>It got even worse when they adapted it, to the point the show was split between powerpoint presentations and running cycles/talking heads exposition sequences.
And if Dark Continent ever gets animated, it'll just be the second thing.

"Tell, don't show" is much worse. I'm tired of anime full of fucking pointless dialogue

most of your favorite series follow this,if you liked logh then you can handle the two things every good anime doest not do:narration and "info dumps",but it is alright since logh story and dialogue is excellent.

>get infodumped on all the cool shit on Dark Continent
>start to get interested because of the exploration feel
>get stuck on more infodump about politics in a boat no one cares about
Fuck HxH

go away, nobody likes Meteora

Good explanation.
A shame you told it, not showed.

My use of examples was a pretty good case of showing, I believe

I love how shonenshit always needs a bunch of worthless cannon fodder standing around watching the fight so they can point out obvious things for the 5 year olds.

like FLOWER SYMBOLISM?

Because user was explaining a simple concept to retards, not telling a story.

Whenever somebody posts something like this, I automatically assume their favorite anime is Naruto.

Literally ever battle shounen has that problem.

You don't understand. "Show, don't tell" is mostly a statement emphasizing the visual nature of audiovisual media and how this should be exploited to its fullest (though in a much looser sense "show, don't tell" can even be applied to books). Basically don't have someone say something is happening, actually show it happening.

It's the difference between a traveling merchant being told by some traveler "stay away from that town, it's being burned down by an enemy army!" and then turning around on the one hand, or that merchant seeing that town being burned down from a distance while standing on a hill. That establishing shot of the merchant seeing the city being burned to the ground has much more of an impact on the reader than just being told that said city is being burned down and having to take some side character's word for it.

"Show, don't tell" isn't an argument in favor of infodumps but against it.

Maybe if KyoAni spent more time working on basic crafting a basic narrative instead of filters and same face they wouldn't have to whore themselves out every other year to make back the money they wasted on flops.

Show don't tell can apply to pretty much any form of media with a setting and characters, including books and video games.

Learn Japanese.

The joke is literally wrong

How does Japanese make it any less of a massive infodump?

I need more KyoAni headcanons to soothe myself.

Which is why you watch Toji no Miko.
It is actually showing us the story, not telling.

Kyou x Sunohara

Because clearly you take issue with reading.

What does VEG show?

That's a really odd way to spin it. What's especially funny is that infodumps are used to push a narrative to help people who are too dumb to pick up on things keep up with them, so I don't get how someone could justify calling someone else a brainlet for not liking them.

You don't understand what that sentence means.

Series is filled with dialogue from start to finish. Sure they could cram the world bending into there somehow for the audience to get a clue, but if you pay attention it never was about the mystery and always about the characters and the meta narrative. Meteora just let everything she knew out of the way instead of giving you a game to play with a bunch of unnatural ominous dialogue and plot holes that would take away from the story at hand.

I think the buiggest problem is that most of it simply wasn't necessary and didn't add anything to begin with. The meeting to form the birdcage strategy was probably the only time it was worthwhile, since it was discussing a plan of events that would transpire in the future, and not just needlessly explaining things that already happened. I don't think the plot would have been impacted in any significant way if most of Meteora's chitchats were just outright removed. Most if it is stuff fans could have pieced together on their own anyway.

The generalized form would be concrete > abstract. "George is strong" is an abstract statement with nebulous and ambiguous meaning. Describing a scene in which George beats the shit out of a professional heavy weight boxer in a street fight gives us a much clear, concrete idea of George being strong. Language has its limitations on how concrete it can get without being excessively verbose, and at the end of the day two readers will always have distinct mental models of a description. Film has the advantage of being immediately concrete using visuals, to the point that not taking advantage with them whenever you can is a bit absurd, so "show, don't tell" takes on a literal meaning.

I liked it better when it was called Key the Metal Idol.

It's absolutely nothing to do with it being an audiovisual medium, because if that were the case it wouldn't apply to novels at all. Which it does.

Talking specifically about that scene, it established their relationship with the government and formed the foundation of the fight that came after, so it was relevant about the plot. There is no central item in the series to piece together a mystery, or something to drive a conflict. ECF was an experimentation of everyone involved, in a different circumstance they would need not fight at all or reach a completely different conclusion. The detailing of the creations coming to life was important for people to theorize the nature of the story worlds which is something many people still have very different conclusions with, and it did make conversing about the series much more interesting, and established Meteora's character as a believable take on a JRPG NPC coming to life.

Info dumps are fine for exposition (like stuff going on in the world that you need to know really quick) ...

My bigger issue is that a lot of the time they just keep saying the same point , and if you just nipped some of the dialogue, it would work. We can infer some things.

FPBP
Show, don't tell. you fucking faggots.