Why isn't there more "cute girls doing math" anime?

Why isn't there more "cute girls doing math" anime?

because math is boring

If at least one is heads, isn't that just 50%?

Statistics isn't math.

This question literally doesn't give you enough information to answer it

No.

At least one is heads, LEAST.
It could be 75%

>If at least one is heads, isn't that just 50%?
No, because there's two coins that could fulfil that condition.

brainlet

>Using this terrible fucking meme on my board
Kindly delete this post NIGGER

>Yes.
No.

>Unless this is one of those bullshit "hur dur it's a trick question because of pedantic wording"
The "trick question with pedantic wording" would be:
>You flip to fair coins. What is the probability that both are heads given that one is heads?
Where "given that one is heads" is ambiguous, with two slightly different possible meanings.

OP's question is unambiguous and only has a single answer.

Given that at least one is Heads, the following possible results are:
>H T
>H H
>T H
There is a 1/3 or 0.3333 or 33% chance it will both be heads.

P(HH | At least one Heads) = 0.5 * 0.5 + 0.5 * 0.5 = 0.5

Or at least, given one interpretation of the problem :^)

1/3
If there are no conditions, there are 4 possible outcomes: o heads, 1 head, 1 head, 2 heads
Because there is a condition, one of the possibilities is removed (0 head), therefore it is 1/3 to get 2 heads

this

I disagree but that’s respectable, I think football is boring
In the later case I stayed up above ur right. It’s a oddly worded question, and definitely not made by someone who is familiar with the proper way these questions are usually written in math competitions and school.
Statistics is a branch of mathematics but this question is more probably than statistics anyway. Double stupid. This is the first place stupid post so far.
What are you missing? 2nd place in the stupid race
No, 3rd place
Give em the benefit of the doubt since the question is worded oddly
Why did you put T H as a third outcome if the condition you’re working off of is that the first flip cams up heads which you already accounted for?
You are the new 3rd place.
t. “I could have aced math but I just never studied”
This is also wrong because you appealed to the condition the first flip was heads but counted a H,T result as well as a T, H result where the T, H dosent fit the condition that the first flip is heads

Brainlets aren’t bad, being wrong is human and reightteous when you’re willing to learn. But a bainlet that is sure of himself and combative to the point of explaining retarded elementary probably is cringe worthy and pathetic.

I wouldn’t consider anyone here that combative except for my hypocrite ass, but still. Read a quick excerpt on this stuff or something before you go make up wrong shit

>two fair coins
If they're fair, then they start in the same position and flipped in the same way.
Both coins were on tails, and flipped over onto heads. Therefore, it's 100%. Fairness is rigged

>This question literally doesn't give you enough information to answer it
This is right.

Situation 1: You flip two coins. A monkey examines both of them and tells you either "at least one is head" or "none are heads". Then the following outcomes are equiprobable given at least one coin is heads:
(1) Coin A is heads and Coin B is heads,
(2) Coin A is heads and Coin B is tails,
(2) Coin A is tails and Coin B is heads.

Situation 2: You flip two coins. A monkey randomly picks one coin to examine and tells you either "at least one is head" or "at least one is tails". Then the following outcomes are equiprobable given at least one coin is heads:
(1) The coin the monkey didn't examine is heads,
(2) The coin the monkey didn't examine is tails.

Actual situation: You flip two coins. The math problem says tells you that at least one is heads. There are no monkeys and nobody is examining any coins.

>This is also wrong because you appealed to the condition the first flip was heads but counted a H,T result as well as a T, H result where the T, H dosent fit the condition that the first flip is heads
Did you actually read the question in OP's pic, you fucking retard? I'm not sure where you're getting the "first flip is heads" condition from. It just says "one" of the flips is confirmed to be heads, which rules out a TT, so you're left with HT, TH and HH. So the answer is 1/3.

Also, kill yourself, phoneposter.

Nowhere in the OP states the first flip is guaranteed heads. It just says at least one flip is heads.

>This is also wrong because you appealed to the condition the first flip was heads but counted a H,T result as well as a T, H result where the T, H dosent fit the condition that the first flip is heads
The question is "given at least one is heads", not "given the first flip is heads".

I want to have sex with Kuro.

Begin with Bayes Theorem: P(A | B) = P(B | A) P(A) / P(B)
And the definition of conditional probability: P(A | B) = P(A & B)/P(B)
P(A) = P(B) = 0.5
The question basically asks what is P((A AND B) | (A OR B))
P(A AND B) = 0.5
P(A OR B) = 0.75

*P(A AND B) = 0.25
derp

Isn't it amazing when people who act """""smart"""" fail very basic reading comprehension?

P((A AND B) AND (A OR B)) = P(A AND B) = 0.25
P((A AND B) | (A OR B)) = 0.25/0.75 = 1/3

The answer is one third.

>If at least one is heads, isn't that just 50%?

No, more like 33%.

What is the possibility both Illyas give me head?

Because it's not Sup Forums related.

why isnt there more anime of cute girls doing meth?

FUCK OFF I BARELY GOT A C IN MY FINITE MATHEMATICS COURSE, I NEVER WANT TO THINK ABOUT THAT SHIT EVER AGAIN

what if coin land side

>wall of text fucking retard is wrong because he can't read
every time

_0%_

I recall doing this one time and it branches off very fast

Can't be situation 2 because it's incorrect to say "at least one" when giving information about exactly one coin.
Therefore it's situation 1 and the answer is 1/3.

What does it even matter which coin is which? If I take 2 coins out of my pocket right now, with 1 of them guaranteed to be heads, how is it not a 50% chance?

This is why I hate these m/a/th threads. It always ends with some autist replying to everybody.

>What does it even matter which coin is which?
It doesn't. But they're still two distinct events.

>If I take 2 coins out of my pocket right now, with 1 of them guaranteed to be heads, how is it not a 50% chance?
Try drawing it.

i am fairly certain OP's image is a troll image designed to weed out pseudointellectuals. the answer you come to first, 50%, should be the right answer

I did draw it. What does it matter if they are distinct events? you are only flipping the coins once. if the first flip is heads, the next flip is 50/50. if the first flip is tails, the next flip is GUARANTEED heads. overall, you have a 100% chance to get heads on one flip, and 50% chance to get heads on the other. 1.0 x .5 is just .5

women cant into maths

Yes, don't listen to the brainlets in this thread.

actually, i take it back. it is 1/3. If you do it in real life, you don't simply exclude 1 coin flip. If you do it irl you'd flip both coins, and only exclude the times in which both are tails. If you flip both coins like this it should be 33% to get both heads

>if the first flip is heads, the next flip is 50/50. if the first flip is tails, the next flip is GUARANTEED heads. overall, you have a 100% chance to get heads on one flip, and 50% chance to get heads on the other. 1.0 x .5 is just .5
I think you're confused about how conditional probability works. Excluding the possibility of (T,T) doesn't make the second flip more likely to give you heads than the first; The flips are still independent.
It's usually less confusing to consider all possibilities first, and then exclude ones that don't meet the conditions. There are three results that contain one heads: (T,H), (H,T), (H,H). All are equally likely, so the answer is 1/3.

I realized my error

50%
It either happens or it doesnt.

Off-topic
Sage and report

>recursion
Fuck you.

God, Sup Forums is full of brainlets, have any of you motherfuckers finished middle school?

Let's subtract the last part of the question:

"You flip two fair coins. What is the probability that both are heads?"

Probability for Coin 1 to be heads = 0.5

Probability for Coin 2 to be heads = 0.5

Probability for both coins turning up as heads = 0.5 x 0.5 = 0.25 (or 25% chance)

Add the last part:

"Given at least one is head"

Now, the wording here is retarded (probably by some hick or ESL-kun), it should be "given that one of the coins is guaranteed to be heads".

So now the probabilities change to:

Probability for Coin 1 to be heads (could be coin 1 or 2, I just chose coin 1) = 1

Probability for Coin 2 to be heads = 0.5

Probability for both coins turning up as heads = 1 x 0.5 = 0.5 (or 50% chance)

There. So the second post was correct, and you're all incredibly stupid.

it's conditional probability, bud. see

I solved it for you with my beautiful paint skills
most common mistake is thinking that "first coin will be heads" then yes answer will be 50%
but question reads "at least one is heads" we don't know which coin is guaranteed to be heads

A fair coin is free from the influences of other coins user. That means initial states and methodology of flips can be arbitrary so long as they individually are fair.

No it's not. The guy screwed up. Aside from the probabilities of the two coins turning up as either heads or tails being independent of each other (which he did point out), there is no need to consider the ORDER of which the two coins turn up as heads. Let's do it his (or your?) way then I'll show you why it's wrong.

Probability of coin 1 turning up as heads = (1H)

Probability of coin 1 turning up as tails = (1T)

Probability of coin 2 turning up as heads = (2H)

Probability of coin 2 turning up as tails = (2T)

Now, disregarding the condition of the question, these are all the possibilities available to us when the two coins are flipped (and disregarding the order at which they're flipped because that has no bearing on the possibilities whatsoever): (1H , 2H), (1T , 2T) , (1H , 2T) , (1T , 2H)

4 possibilities and all are equally likely, so 25% chance of both coins turning up as heads.

Now, when we add the condition in the last part of the questions (one of the coins being guaranteed to turn as heads, and assuming, for argument's sake, that that coin is Coin1):

(1H, 2H), (1H, 2T)

2 possibilities and they're both equally likely to occur, so the possibility of both coins turning up as heads is 50%.

Being concerned with the order of flipping is unnecessary, because as long as one of the coins is guaranteed absolutely 100% to be heads, it might as well be excluded from the calculation, and you're left with one coin with only 50% chance of turning up as either heads or tails.

Had this been, say, a draw from a standard deck of playing cards, then the order would indeed matter, but not in this case.

tell my why (1T, 2H) is not possible?
user above said truth, people think first coin is gonna be (H) for some reason

>one of the coins being guaranteed to turn as heads, and assuming, for argument's sake, that that coin is Coin1

That is not how it works. The question doesn't say that the first coin can't be tails, and so neither can you. You have information about the two coins as a set, not either of them individually.

>Now, when we add the condition in the last part of the questions (one of the coins being guaranteed to turn as heads, and assuming, for argument's sake, that that coin is Coin1):
That's not what the question says. The condition is "at least one coin comes up heads", not "a specific coin is guaranteed to be heads".

It doesn't matter which one you assume to be heads. Both are just as likely with an outcome of 50%, so you end up with 50% either way.

not an anime but read suugaku girls

also i know its a rec thread i dont give a fuck op has good taste

>It doesn't matter which one you assume to be heads.
No - you don't get to assume EITHER coin will be heads. All you know is that one of them will be heads.

You don't get to make any assumption not stated by the question.

If you flipped pairs of coins until you had flipped a million pairs in which - as the question states - at least one of the two were heads, you would end up with about 333333 double-heads pairs.

Better question: Why isn't this thread deleted yet?
And why is almost no one spamming dubs and instead supporting this Sup Forums tier off-topic shit?

You should be able to solve this.

The only way we would know for sure at least one is heads is if one coin is rigged with heads on both side.

If one is already heads it comes down to whether the other one is heads or not, so 50%. Sage.

The better question is why hasn't there been an anime adaptation of Suugaku girls yet.

This nigga knows.

there is nothing wrong with some laugh at brainlets anons before Sup Forums gets filled with 02 threads

t. Sup Forumsedditor

We don't know which one it is, but it will always be the same one. That's the only way this parameter makes sense.

You can't assume that any specific coin is heads. You're trying to invoke a "without loss of generality" argument but the presence of symmetry required to use that argument isn't present here.

Coin 1 is different than Coin 2. If you know that one of the coins is heads, you don't know whether that coin is Coin 1 or Coin 2. If you simply assume it's coin 1, then you'd be wrong if it turns out that coin 2 was heads and coin 1 was tails. Vice versa, you can't assume coin 2 is heads.

If that honestly doesn't make sense to you, but you're genuinely interested to see why your reasoning is incorrect, I could write up a formal logical proof explaining step by step how "assuming" a coin would lead to a contradiction.

2^65536-3

Hacked this up and got a maximum recursion depth error, so I'm assuming it goes infinitely.

No, it terminates. It's just an immensely large number.

What on earth do you mean by "makes sense"?

You don't get to invent information not present in the question. The two coins have at least one heads as a set, not individually.

Ah probably just my machine terminating it too early then.

Because magic coins that check if the other one is tails and land acordingly don't exist.

k

All angles of a triangles must add up to 180 degrees.

ABC:
A = 80 deg
B = 80 deg
Therefore C = 20 deg

AEC:
A = 10 deg
C = 20 deg
Therefore E = 150 deg

ABE:
A = 80 deg
B = 80 deg
Therefore E = 20 deg

E's angles add up to a half circle, so 150+20+alpha = 180 deg

Therefore alpha = 10 deg.

Done.

You don't get to contradict or add information just because you don't like the question.

Also, call me crazy, but you could just, you know, have someone check and tell you that at least one is heads. Either way, it's irrelevant - the text of the question is what gives you the information.

>have a CS degree
>can’t do math for shit

Honestly makes me want to self-study math, but dunno where to start.

>this thread
Jesus christ guys.
This isn't a complicated problem, if you have two coins the possible outcomes being, (1H 2T, 1T 2H, 1T 2T, 1H 2H) we can rule out only one outcome because we know for sure one coin is heads. So that leaves us with (1H 2T, 1T 2H, and 1H 2H) and with the way the question is worded you may think the coin order being important but it isn't. We know with 100% certainty one coin is already heads so regardless of position in the set our remaining coin still only has a 50% probability of coming up either head or tails.
TL;DR: Fliping one coin has a 50% chance to be H or T.

I'm not adding information when I say magic coins don't exist.
You are though if you say the coins are flipped, then checked a first time to see if they qualify to the question, then checked a second time to see if there's two heads. That would have to be specified in the question but it's not.

Kys wojakposter.

You should be able to solve this.
A literal retard managed to get 100%. Prove you're smarter than Yui.

T. Brainlet.

>One heads & one tails (order independent) and two heads are equally likely
I honestly can't tell if you're trolling.

Kys wojakposter.

No, I'm saying there are methods by which you could possess the information "at least one of these two coins is heads" without knowing that either one in particular is heads. But as I already said, that's irrelevant - it's the question itself that gives it to you.

I

Uh

What?

Man, fuck you guys, now I'm unsure of the entire mathematic field of probability. Because no matter what the correct answer is, everyone in this thread has the debate skills to support their own answer.

Yui is not a retard

Do you just reply to everything in a desperate attempt for (you)s? Fuck off you attention seeking double fucking retard.

That is wrong.

>it's a monty python bait thread

33%.

solved over ten years before this site, and it's predecessor came into being thank you.