Just got my dad to watch this

Just got my dad to watch this.
> I dunno...I mean, I get it, but she's not a person.
I tried to argue with him about how she represents the regret of a failed potential species, but he wasn't having it. Was I wrong, Sup Forums?

Bump

You are indulged in shows so that is your thought process.
He hasn't, so he doesn't think like that.
It isn't rocket science.

I don't think that this is something limited to anime though, right? He's pretty well versed in media in general, I don't think it's fair to just dismiss him as "uninitiated"

His sky wasn't filled with stars that's all.

The VN was better, that's all.

Unlike you, your father found his mate and (unfortunately) reproduced, so he's not particularly thrilled or fond of obvious committee-made characters for the sole purpose of titilation and audience-pandering.

The anime didn't have such an impact as VN.

I don't know why tho.

Maybe because Yumemi wasn't such chatterbox as in VN.

Anime dads will never understand.

Let me rephrase it slightly then. Since it might be animated, he might not feel the same connection as you do to the characters. It might also be a cultural difference thing, since you each and every day learn how japanese media tries to convey feelings, he might not be as used to it as you. There is a huge difference between how american movies and shows convey sad moments compared to japanese ones, just like it is a huge difference between swedish movies and american ones.
If you aren't indulging yourself in said media or trope, you might have a hard time understanding it.
There also are people who don't feel stuff the same way as others. You being you doesn't mean your dad will act the same as you.

>the regret of a failed potential species
???????
Did you just string a bunch of random words together and pretended they sound good?

Aren't you an intelligent cynical badass?

Do not bully Yumemi!

Unlike you brainlets I just don't see the appeal in an emotionally manipulative, otaku-pandering melodrama VN/OVA that would make mexian soap operas look like Thomas Pynchon.

> Was I wrong, Sup Forums?
You showed him the movie instead of making him read the VN. Of course you were wrong, OP, come on, better to fix you ways.

Come on, post-Eternal Summerfags don't even know the context of that image.

Because the anime is crap while the VN is god tier. Seriously the anime does so much wrong. The heart wrenching emotional scene of all the adults trying to explain to Yumemi why they have to leave is at the end of the VN and is built up to. It is right at the start of the anime which totally destroys the pacing and leaves nothing for the anime to emotionally build up to. Likewise, the beauty of the VN in its sound design where you were immune from hearing the rain for a few hours as you happily chatted away with a cute robot girl, only then to be thrust back into the awful reality of the world that humanity has destroyed. If you think the sad part of Planterian is cute robot girl dying in the rain, you totally missed the point. That is the emotional catharsis, the outlet for the audience as the total meaningless of humanity's destruction sets in.

Basically what I am trying to say is that you are a faggot OP.

>muh dreaded otaku
>complaining that a piece of media that's meant to make you feel things is manipulative
Name one piece of entertainment that isn't manipulative in any way that could be argued to be an issue.

Ok, yeah I get it, it probably didn't hit the same emotional notes for him, but I'm surprised he didn't get the metaphors that presented him with.

No, that's fair, I was being retarded. Uh, the regret of generations of the past? That's what I think she's supposed to be. What humanity could have been. As I said to him, I view it as a cautionary tale.

Haha, it's not that bad, I've already bullied him into guilt at this point (stupid faggot)

"Didn't you try to make me read some of your own adventure games like this a while ago, son? It was kinda different....I think, but the story sounds familiar..."
"Ehhhhhhhhh....."

Don't worry I felt the same way, I was trying not to be a faggot and go "well in the vn this scene had more weight cause there's a different build up also it's more compelling because seeing the stars is a novelty for him, not nostalgia, etc...." I just wanted him to watch it, man.

>but I'm surprised he didn't get the metaphors that presented him with.
Because not all people want to do deep thinking.

Ok, I know it's my dad so I'm gonna cut him some slack, but heavy handed allegory is not deep.