Winter 2018

Koi Ameagari and Violet Evergarden literally overshadow everything else this season when it comes to visual direction.
And for an autist like me it gets harder and harder to enjoy other shows after watching a new episode of these 2.

I was expecting it to be the case for VEG but KoiAme caught me off guard with how well directed it is.

Other urls found in this thread:

shirooo305.hatenablog.com/entry/2018/02/10/212643
twitter.com/AnonBabble

pretty sure that you are the faggot from the franxx thread so ill ask you again
>visual direction
please use your own link as an example and point out the unique aspects of VEGs visual direction. all i can spot are very basic techniques that can be found in run of the mill shonen shows. you might not be aware of it but the rule of thirds, line framing, compositional triangles etc are all very common tools that can be found in the vast majority audio visual works.

this was your link: shirooo305.hatenablog.com/entry/2018/02/10/212643

Rule of Thirds is the most commonly known concept of photography and visual direction is not just photography.
But rather the usage of photography techniques to lead the viewer into an idea, an emotion or a concept inside a visual medium. At least that's how I see it.

As for what sets the shows I'm talking about apart from the rest is how well they do it. The contrast between the "then" and the "now", the careful positioning of characters and/or objects to bring an idea of what is and what can be. As well as the angle chosen in scenes that have a purposes such as transitioning, characterization without the use of words or actions and exposure to new ideas.
And for VEG and KoiAme, what particularly strikes me is how those 2 tell so much without saying a word and without showing the protagonist's face.

>And for VEG and KoiAme, what particularly strikes me is how those 2 tell so much without saying a word and without showing the protagonist's face.
yet you attach such an incredibly simplistic screenshot to it. again, these sort of visual queues can be found in naruto of all shows, you just refuse to look.

you also utterly fail at attaching proper elaboration to you claims but instead choose to be needlessly cryptic. see this:
>The contrast between the "then" and the "now", the careful positioning of characters and/or objects to bring an idea of what is and what can be.
theres not a shred of substance to this line of text.

>As well as the angle chosen
as stated beforehand: simple framing techniques are present in every single work that is part of the audio visual medium. shots arent being composed randomly in battle shonen, either.

i need you try a bit harder.

thanks for destroying the entirety of the VEG fanbase

Yes I'm well aware that the picture is quite simplistic and no I don't watch nardo.
This one, however, is not that simple.

There's nothing cryptic about what I posted. The rain+Tachibana combination is a simple/obvious but powerful way of describing her mental state. The way Tachibana walks with her injured foot throughout episodes is also a very nice way of showcasing change.

The contrast between the garden when the princess was 10 years old and the garden when she's 14 is also a powerful way of describing change.
Having the princess bow to the maid after the prince knelt before her is a great way of putting perspective on what characters are actually important to the story.

You not liking whatever I say doesn't remove the truth from it. Maybe it is you who should try a bit harder in this conversation, saying others do it without providing an example is basically shitposting.

>slap some lens flare and filters on a frame
>"excellent visual direction!"

This thread is really funny to me, you put really good strong visual direction, under something completely vapid and shallow then claim they are in equal standing.

I really hope you’re being ironic but if not you just made VEG look worse, when you compare to some actually good.

I'll accept your concession.

>Yes I'm well aware that the picture is quite simplistic and no I don't watch nardo.
if you dont even watch basic shonen shit then how can you call yourself knowledgeable enough to judge the artform as a whole and proclaim the two shows you watch to be the best at what they do? if you only watch 2 shows, why do you think youre in a position to judge the other 50 this season?

>There's nothing cryptic about what I posted.
there is. particularly the part about what is and what can be is not precise and lacks an example. i could claim that a dream fulfills that purpose just fine, and such dreams can be found, again, in naruto.

>walks with her injured foot throughout episodes is also a very nice way of showcasing change
i keep reading this personal opinions, but i cant manage to make out a lot of substance. would you be so kind to attach some sort of weight to the word "nice"? otherwise ill just say that it isnt "nice", but thats its generic.

>powerful way of describing change
no it isnt. its a very simple tool that is attached to falshbacks. in fact, thats what most flashbacks are for: to depict CHANGE.

>to the maid after the prince knelt before her is a great way of putting perspective on what characters are actually important to the story
has nothing to do with visual direction. its related to the written aspect of said show. if a character is supposed to be important then you make that clear through visuals. what other way to depict it than have the character shows its respect through bowing? right, there isnt one. in fact, its very commonly used, even in shows with a modern setting (such as highschool romance etc.)

>You not liking whatever I say doesn't remove the truth from it.
its not about disliking what you say, but about the fact that none of your examples are impressive, unique or imaginitive. phantom world for example had a brighter creative spark and more subtext to its visual direction than VEG (at this point) could ever dream of.

violet is shallow and only really has its pretty colors; the shots are also rather simplistic compared to koi wa ameagari

Why are anti-VEG fags so anally devastated over it having better visual direction than their favorite show this season? I will never understand, at this point people should know that Kyoani makes better art and animation than any other TV anime production.

What’s even funnier is that’s every VEG thread, these shills are so desperate they will just latch veg on to much better actually compelling shows.

They tried it with devil man.
“Wow is Netflix the future of anime??!! Look at these quality works like devilman!(a show we actually talk about) and violet!”

They bring up a relevant show and try to ride it’s coattails, it’s pretty disgusting.

That was a well done episode. Yamada+Fujita is pretty much unbeatable.

Wasn't Hibike episode 8 also Yamada/Fujita or just Fujita?

I watched the first episode of violet and it seemed to me like a melodramtic soap opera. I've been following koi though. Good show.

If anti-veg fags where anally devestated they make threads attacking its visual direction.

The truth is no one cares enough too, the show is that bad, stop trying to force this narrative as if we don’t browse this board.

It’s just you the same VEG shill always bating replies with these terrible threads claiming this show is a gift from god, everyone just ignores or disagrees, but no one is going out of their way for this trash, just stop lying to yourself I can tell you’re a very unhappy person with these desperate post, the fact that no one cares about this show truly devastated you and now you resort to this, I honestly just feel pity, but I really can’t entertain this anymore. Please get help.

The pleb filter worked as intended, then.

Fujita

Nice job ignoring this so called bait thread.

Holy shit, that projection

Shounenshit is but a small part of anime, you know. I'm sure they too use the same concepts other shows use but watching them is not required.

The example for what is and what can be is literally that simple picture of Tachibana placing her shoes right next to Tenchou's and his son's shoes. This is such a simple concept so please, don't be dense on purpose.

How can the usage of feet and non-facial body language be generic if most shows either don't bother doing it or do it very little?
Take other popular shows this season like Sora Yori, Yuru Camp and DarliFra, they all have a very "all in your face" approach to things. True, they're nothing alike but they all suffer from the problem of "here's the damn character face, do you get it now?".
Although DarliFra does have some nice angles here and there.

Except the examples I gave were not flashbacks, they come from the natural progression of the show and don't require flashbacks to remind the viewer of what changed. Or at least they assume the viewer is smart enough to notice.

Please don't compare characters used to depict royalty to high schoolers, that's just dishonest. Having a brat princess bowing before her surrogate mother says a lot more than having a kouhai bow to a senpai. And yes it is visual direction since the act of showing the characters interacting like this under shifting scenarios brings up emotions and ideas to the viewer, it's a way of telling the story without saying a single word.

How dare some people pay attention to anime and make comparisons, that's just crazy talk.

>Koi Ameagari and Violet Evergarden literally overshadow everything else this season
Koi Ameagari overshadows VEG too. VEG is nothing special with 100 filters added. Koi Ameagari is fantastic.

Nice bait.

>>How can the usage of feet and non-facial body language be generic if most shows either don't bother doing it or do it very little?
how would you know? didnt you just admit to not even watching the most entry level works?

> they all have a very "all in your face" approach to things
all right, so which of your examples is not "in your face"? i cant spot any symbolism, cryptic visualizations etc. all i see are simplistically depicted event that you try to sell as more than they are. which of the frames in this collage are cryptic? which of them hold way more weight than can be spotted at first sight?

>and don't require flashbacks to remind the viewer of what
excuse me, but you just quite literally explained that the garden is depicted twice, with 4 years having passed between both depictions. that is quite literally what a flashback is, unless you want to tell me that those 4 years were thouroughly narrated as part of the main plotline, with other events unfolding and developing in the meantime. if she is 14 years old in the present timeline, then the depiction of her garden during the age of 10 is quite literally a flashback.

>bowing before her surrogate mother says a lot more than having a kouhai bow to a senpai
again, you mix up narrative/writing and visual direction. of course its more impactful, but not because of how it was visualized but because of the characters respective ROLES, which are related to the written part of the show. if you didnt know who they are that scene wouldnt stand out for you. the only reason it has weight is because of the social standing. had this been an introductionary scene without any backstory attached to the characters then one would argued that its related to visual narrative since the princesses dress would have given away her social standing to a certain extent. but since it isnt...

theres no point in continuing this since you clearly are too fucking retarded to differentiate.

There's nothing wrong with filters. KoiAme also does not shy away from them.

he's right though

Man I fucking hate male characters like that fucker.

Because I've been doing this for years. Me no longer watching the most boring shows does not make me ignorant. What you're doing here is called non sequitur.

That's not my collage nor my post but for the sake of answering your question:
the fish
the maid+princess feet behind a bouquet
the Violet+princess being placed right in front of a window in an otherwise dark room
the Violet+princess sitting in front of a multitude of different flowers
the Violet dress covering the princess' face
the empty Violet room with the puppy placed on top of the desk for the first time

are all examples with different levels of abstraction

And my bad, the princess thing really was a flashback. Mea Culpa.
But Tachibana's walk is not.

I guess the conversation is over now that you've started using ad homs, so much for that.

Why?

The only time it had good visual direction was in ep 5. Every other episode was full of shitty grey filters and nonsensical blurs.

>a powerful way of describing change.
>powerful
No it really isn't, it's very basic.

You not liking boke and an overlapping filter that gets weaker with each passing episode does not make it bad.
And as far as boke goes, VEG is far from being the only show that uses it.

These sorts of posts just scream autism. "I'd better make sure to reply to every line so they know I'm right about everything!" You're posting anonymously, fag.

>VEGfags trying to latch onto KoiAme

I remember you anons dismissing this show, what happened? That desperate?

It's almost like there are different people on Sup Forums.

Who is "you anons"?

Me, I am me user. What do you need?

Explain to me (a non artist) What's so special about those two images.

>And as far as boke goes, VEG is far from being the only show that uses it.
That isn't the point, you said it had good visual direction and I said it didn't, comparing it to other anime is irrelevant to the point.
And I can't think of a lot of anime that overuse the grey filter as badly as the first few episodes of VEG

Nothing. The first one is "special" because of the narrative that is attached to it, not because of the way its being visualized. Its like establishing a father and son relationship and then having the son kill his father. If the frame that depicts it would like the picture in the OP then it wouldnt be special because of its visual direction, but because of the knowledge the viewer has of the characters. Its the same here.

Did anyone else notice the red roses on the opposite side of the room to the white ones? I'm currently checking but I think they were always behind Alberta. Is there some symbolism behind that?

>Except the examples I gave were not flashbacks
Wait I'm confused, you are saying that you didn't give flash backs as example but in your previous post It's clearly written.
>The contrast between the garden when the princess was 10 years old and the garden when she's 14 is also a powerful way of describing change.
You clearly used a flashback for your comparison.

That's what I thought, I liked the episode and the scene but that particular gesture felt awkward and unnatural, so I couldn't figure out exactly why so many anons were sperging out over that one image.

That's throughout the whole episode. Both of the kingdoms are represented by one of the roses. It's why the letters were always delivered and read with a rose of the corresponding kingdom.

>but that particular gesture felt awkward and unnatural
That's exactly what I thought when watching that scene. That's the kind of gesture a man (not a woman) does to a woman.

Upper picture does good characterization without saying anything. The angle, the light and the elements that slowly built up during the episode aka the flowers and the overall level of light in that room - it all has purpose.
Bottom picture is Tachibana staring at the world that she wants to learn about through a small gap. Again, the angle, the removal of the sliding doors, the white background and the exaggeration of the light that hits her all serve a purpose and further explain Tachibana without uttering a single word.

Yes I know, but the red rose was shown behind Alberta in one way or another.

I find it interesting that after Ep5 people suddenly seem to start to recognize VEG is not bad, even good/great depending on your taste.

In reality the previous episodes aren't that much different. You can look at the direction, the plot, the animation etc. Even if ep5 was probably the best so far it's not a far cry from what was shown before. Only difference is that it has a plot line that's easier to follow.

I thought episode 4 felt like it had too many conflicts going, and none were particularly interesting to me, and the way we jumped from one conflict to the next was rushed. I thought episode 2 and 3 were OK, the ending of ep3 was too cheesy for my tastes, you can't really fix the brother with one letter, a bittersweet ending was more fitting. Episode 1 I didn't like mainly because of Violet, the whole Evergarden family didn't really make much sense either, I don't know why Violet even got their name in the first place, doesn't seem like she's in contact with them anymore.

>In reality the previous episodes aren't that much different
There is a world of difference with episode 2 and especially 4. The whole drama with Iris on top of being cliche was resolved in the most boring way

The red roses and the magnolia were on opposites side of the room during most of the episode to show the distance between those 2. In fact, the desk the princess uses to write her letters is also far away from the roses.
It's only at the end that we see both bouquets side by side as the princess gets dressed up to marry him.
The princess also does not keep a rose close until the moment she is ready to finally see the prince face to face.

Oh and I might be overthinking this but the roses behind Alberta could be a way of showing how Alberta is almost an obstacle to the union because while the princess does want to marry the prince, she does not want to leave Alberta.

Nah, the difference is that episode 5 is much closer to what is found in the source material.

Nah it's not. You just took whatever the fuck people said on the past thread and just parrot it.

Yes it is. In fact this episode might just be a replacement for the Ann chapter in the first volume.

No it's not. You don't even know what the fuck you're saying. Keep bullshitting.

Nice non argument

Bitch, I read the source material. This is the first episode to focus more on the episodic characters.

>1 min apart

Great job same fagging. Slap me a screenshot as well.

But he's right and thats what matters.

is this an admission of guilt or are you just new

who cares if hes right or wrong no ones going to read all that

I did what are you implying?

hmmm if you read all that, i think i'll imply that you care way too much about what other people think

I'm still waiting for counter examples and arguments that do not spiral down to non sequitur, ad hominem and the ever ephemeral substance.
Anyone wanna talk about it? As shocking as it might seem to you, this is not a bait thread.

I just was curious about the point of view of someone else than myself and it happens that he destroyed the other user with good arguments, I don't really care about what the other people think if I were to care about that I won't be here.

what are you claiming? i've read the op and like these last few posts. i could be down for a good transference of information

oh i just assumed you got way too invested in the debate

We all know you're that guy who "destroyed the other user"

Ameagari is pretty and does use some simple tricks in visual storytelling and helps it give a surreal or dream-like atmosphere. VEG uses visual storytelling just keep reminding the viewer or keep certain thing in focus.

That for this season only VEG and KoiAme bother using subtlety and photography 101 to tell a story.
That's basically my claim.

bloom and sparkles are barely even tricks. Ameagari is as vapid as any other seasonal show visual wise

are you watching citrus?

>gets harder and harder to enjoy other shows after watching a new episode of these 2
There's more to anime than just "visual direction".

What even is this thread?

Yeah?

A thread about visual direction specifically?

>Yeah?
ok watch the scene in episode 5 and tell me that's not photography 101 with a straight face

>78 posts
>19 IPs

i mean

the scene where yuzu and mei visit yuzu's father's grave

Autism.

Currently watching

>3-gatsu no lion S2
>Sora Yori
>Yuru Camp
>Koi Ameagari
>Darling in the Franxx
>Takagi-san
>Mahoutsukai no yome
>Violet Evergarden

In that order of preference.

How about this then. It's a good point about every story in VEG. There's nothing to take back at all.

This one?
What did you like about it?
Other than the graves lined up and the empty buckets being shown while she was crying, of course.

When did "there's nothing to take" became an argument? You're not 6 and this isn't Dora the Explorer, there's nothing to take in most anime, certainly not any other anime this season. People don't discuss VEG because each episode is a self contained story.

Those don't even relate to visual direction. We all know kyoani is good at making things look great but needs to work on the substance of the material they want to adapt.

Fuck you're desperate.

Oh and to clarify, my problem with this scene is how every time a character reacts to something the camera just flies straight into their face as if to tell you "see? it's like that".

what did i like about it? specifically the disconnect between the visuals and the dialogue, it mirrors the disconnect between yuzu's words and her feelings.
that was hardly my point though

>muh characters need to be relatable
Are you some self-insert shitter? Well this show is clearly not for you, stop projecting your feelings onto fictional characters.

not him but being relatable doesn't mean self insert friendly. Violet themes are relatable

It's not that disconnected if we're talking about both characters, Mei is quite melancholic in her dialogue and it ends up affecting Yuzu. Still, this is not subtle and it does not use something visually different to express an idea or emotion. Like I said here , it's very straightforward.
Still, I liked the whole "bucket with water when Yuru was faking joy and empty bucket when her real emotions spilled" thing.

I know, but bitching about the characters not relatable enough is something a self-insert fag would say.

>Violet themes are relatable
Autism?
Seriously though, I've warmed up to her and the show. I hated her guts in the first two episodes.

>it's not that disconnected
ok

Not her, but the themes of each episode. I don't really like her as character

The difference is that people already gave up on the anime adapting any of the LN stories.

She's getting better, at least now she's apologizing when she does something inappropriate and makes effort to understand people, even if she still doesn't get most of it.

Not him but for some Violet is relatable because even normal people struggle to understand others.

Cemetery, lukewarm atmosphere caused by the sunset and lack of other people around. And this while one character pretends to be ok and the other ruins it, ending up in both of them crying - alone.
How is this disconnected?