Pre-2000s anime thread

Pre-2000 thread. What are you watching? I don't know if I can finish Key despite being on episode 14, the last two episodes are over three hours total.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oplJnWUtyCE
myanimelist.net/anime/2722/Crusher_Joe
youtube.com/watch?v=t7W_5Jr15wY
youtube.com/watch?v=LzGWT_1d0sE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

watch lupin mamo and was kinda confused how this isnt more liked. narrative is interesting and well structured, cast is in character, animation is too bad considering its late 70s, art direction is fairly interesting considering the fact that scifi hype only started during the 80s, yet in mamo a bunch of scifi structures depicted in great detail. probably liked the movie way more than cagliostro, simply because of how much more expressive and unique the narrative was. it didnt just recycle and rewind the same events a bunch of times.

also watched natsu e no tobira, which was absolute dogshit in almost every way.

finally got around to watching the crusher joe ovas, now that they are available as proper bd-rips. visuals were quite impressive, particularly for the second ova, but every thing else not so much. audio direction was too overbearing most of the time. biggest problem however was the written aspect. the narrative of the first ova was fine, and the character dynamics still mostly in tact, but the second ova focused too much on a generic and arguably badly executed plot with awfully bland side characters. the main cast hardly interacted which turned its from "crusher joe" into a run of the mill sci fi flick with a bunch of explosions. felt a bit like venus wars in that regard. a real pity. enjoyed myself nonetheless, even though the movie being vastly superior in my book.

I decided to drop Key halfway into 14 since it's just an exposition dump and I stopped caring. Gonna watch Spirit of Wonder instead.

Watching Ashita no Joe, it is shit, they stretched out about 30 episodes worth of material into 79 eps

>the last two episodes are over three hours total.
Wait, what the fuck?

but user, the ending is memorable. hence its a masterpiece.

Last two episodes are 100 minutes each.

Well this was pretty much the most 80s thing Ive ever seen

youtube.com/watch?v=oplJnWUtyCE

myanimelist.net/anime/2722/Crusher_Joe
Damn you Sup Forums! Never told me that Kei and Yuri appears in this Crusher Joe movie.

They show up in Patlabor too.

They made tons of appearances in Urusei Yatsura, City Hunter and many others.

Why do I have to keep being reminded of the large box of LDs I still haven't watched through?

Aw no, you made it so far. The ending's pretty alright. Some good stuff happens after the exposition dump.

Maybe, but 30 minutes of two guys talking on a bench explaining everything just seemed like a poor direction choice and put me off.

>oh shit, we have two episodes left and the plot is still sort of a mess, what do we do?

WANT
Stop showing off.

That's true, but at least there's still something there. I'm not really blaming you for dropping it, but I'm just saying that 30 minutes of exposition isn't much considering how many others shows are. Although, I'm almost sure that there was at least an hour of exposition not gonna lie.

calling them "support" characters is a fucking joke. thank god they only show up for the fraction of a second.

No. Might be worth holding out until I get a player that doesn't act screwy though.

Finished Spirit of Wonder. That was nice (and looked great). Going to watch Black Magic M-66 now.

Space Adventure Cobra is great. It's like Lupin in space. A lot of great animation of the MC running and shit. All the backgrounds look 80's as fuck because it's neon as hell. Buildings are a mix of blue, green, purple, red, orange, and pink.

Takarajima is a underrated Dezaki gem and undoubtedly the greatest pirate anime to ever exist. Great characters with a nice gradual development over time. Excellent chemistry between them.

Rose of Versailles is the best shoujo anime of all time which wouldn't normally seem like much, but it's even an all time great regardless of what genre it is or what audience it targets. Great story with complex characters. I love the beautiful scenery and the tragic lives of these characters.

Ashita no Joe 1&2. The greatest story in all of the sports genre. Joe is such a flawed and tragic figure. It's painful to watch him ride on the path of self destruction. It's beautiful and one of few stories that excels far beyond the world of anime/manga.

Yeah whatever. Ie Naki Ko is his magnum opus.

>great
>greatest
>best
>underrated
>beautiful
exactly the amount of substance that i exepct from posts in these threads.

>I don't know if I can finish Key despite being on episode 14, the last two episodes are over three hours total
Then think of it like watching a few episodes you stupid idiot. Your tiny brain probably didn't even realize you've been watching it for longer than 3 hours already.

Nah, I'd rather not waste my time on the disappointment that remains. I could watch several episodes of something actually good instead.

If you thought it was bad, you should've said so in the first place, moron. You suggested you didn't want to finish because of the length of the final episodes.

>exactly the amount of substance that i "exepct" from posts in these threads.
Expecting a lengthy review or anything more would be retarded especially considering this isn't a review site. I don't understand why some feel the need to cry about the most minuscule of things when they could just check out the show for themselves and see if they like it.

Been working on Cobra myself recently. The episode where Cobra ends up fighting cyborg pirate babes and the Swordian arc has been my favorites so far.

They weren't "episodes". The last few are actually a movie. (was actually in Japanese theatres)

Key is still my all time most cherished childhood animu, but the exposition dump in the movies really kinda killed it a bit.

Last episode is good though.

I will never forget the unique soundtrack. Even the Ocean Group dub was non-shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=t7W_5Jr15wY

When I watched the Cobra BD, there was an echo-like problem with the audio. Apparently it's present in all versions of Cobra? I recall it being discussed before. Was annoying at first, but I got over it.

why bother to talk about a show when all you say is "greatest", without providing any arguments to back up your claim? just post the grid and be done with it, and as soon as someone asks what it is and if its good, you can elaborate regarding the aspects you liked. i mean, thats just my opinion, but to me these sort of posts do more harm than good. they make the poster look like a complete fucking moron.

going digital was a mistake

>why bother to talk about a show when all you say is "greatest", without providing any arguments to back up your claim?
Because it's subjective. Not saying these things for the sake of argument. It's a matter of opinion and if people think differently then that's fine.
>just post the grid and be done with it
or just don't complain.
>and as soon as someone asks what it is and if its good, you can elaborate regarding the aspects you liked. i mean, that's just my opinion
That goes without saying. Acting like a child about it doesn't make other person wrong just because they didn't assume they'd need to explain in detail why they like something.
>but to me these sort of posts do more harm than good.
Now you're just being petty.
>they make the poster look like a complete fucking moron.
And there it is. This entire post is moronic. Basically what you're saying is "People deserve proper explanations on basic opinions in this thread and they have the right to bitch at you for stating a simple opinion while insulting your intelligence for not elaborating on it even though they never asked for it".

Makes perfect sense.

At least Japs are keeping hand drawn animation alive. Even though CG is still slowly taking over anime too.

I wish they'd keep it away from iconic franchises at least

You can white as much as you want about a show but be prepared to not get any you's. The average Sup Forums user on a faster board like this has enough of an attention span for one maybe two sentences per post.
>possibly three if one is greentext

Not him but having “greatest” and “best” in all of your posts does make you seem like a total retard.

We're probably in a transition period. There might be a point where CG anime do actually look good. Maybe they'll look back on right now the way we look back on the early days of the transition to digital. Even though I don't think anime ever totally recovered from that transition.

I'm watching Arcadia of my Youth right now.

>that fucking 009

vomit.jpg

>or just don't complain.
sorry but i am interested in the quality of these threads to go up, not further down.
>just because they didn't assume they'd need to explain in detail why they like something.
if they dont do that then their post has no value. calling something "greatest" has about as much substaance and not saying anything at all. if you post a grid then that already implies that you like it.
>Now you're just being petty
i mean, in my opinion they have little to no value. thats kinda bad, no?
>People deserve proper explanations on basic opinions in this thread and they have the right to bitch at you for stating a simple opinion while insulting your intelligence for not elaborating on it even though they never asked for it
i mean, if you cant explain your opinion why bother stating it publically? do you not realize how futile that is? if i asked you what X is like and you responded with "its the greatest", well then that doesnt really tell me more than going on MAL and looking at the average score.

>tfw no Miime gf

Best girl, from Sailor Moon.

>We're probably in a transition period
More like a phase. Japs are too stuck in the past to fully commit to CGI as an art form and there aren't many people who actually want it. Not to mention it's more expensive and hasn't been perfected there yet. At this rate, it may take another 15 years before we start to notice some serious changes.

Just watched this movie the other day.

This film still holds up. I think it has a lot to do with Miyazaki's uniqe looking visuals and Joe Hisaishi's moving score.

>sorry but i am interested in the quality of these threads to go up, not further down.
None of these threads have ever been good and you know it for a fact. If you think something as stupid as "lack of detail" is a major problem, then you desperately need to re'think your life's values.
>if they dont do that then their post has no value. calling something "greatest" has about as much substaance and not saying anything at all. if you post a grid then that already implies that you like it.
What are opinions? Why should the value of an individual's post even matter? Just move on instead of protecting the "prestige" of these threads. Continuing to bitch about is what kills these threads. Not one user's post.
>i mean, in my opinion they have little to no value. thats kinda bad, no?
and constantly saying it has little to no value makes it better, no?
>i mean, if you cant explain your opinion why bother stating it publically?
No one bothered to ask the person to explain. You don't sit there and go into lengthy detail when you tell someone you enjoy pizza. Why should anime be any different. Just say you like it and give vague reasons why. If someone asks for more, THEN you do it.
>if i asked you what X is like and you responded with "its the greatest", well then that doesnt really tell me more than going on MAL and looking at the average score.
Except in this case you didn't ask what x is like. You simply cried about it after the fact.

>This film still holds up

Not that shitty ending though.

who gives a shit hand drawn will ALWAYS look better than cgi. cgi is not anime

cgi is an infestation and it needs to die, we don't need anime looking like pixar shit

You got to admit, that a lot of manga that adapted into an anime tried to condense a whole epic into a feature usually have a shit ending.
>Fist of the North Star the Movie
>Akira
>Dragon Ball: Curse of the Blood Rubies

Doesn't mean we should accept it.

I'm watching Rose of Versailles right now, and it's some good shit. The writing most of all, which pulls you along by the heartstrings with both urgency and finesse from the first episode. But the art is also enriched with feminine, regal flair befitting Oscar and the setting. And the direction has made some inspired moves to manipulate tension.

English OP/ED were alright but I skimmed the dub and wasn't impressed.
Also gib BD Pony Canyon.

>There might be a point where CG anime do actually look good.
It's CANCER either way, anime is meant to be 2D not cgshit.

>Maybe they'll look back on right now the way we look back on the early days of the transition to digital
god i hope not, acrylic still looks better than digital

This is not a cel. It's a genga,

Great work user. Would you mind making one for Black Jack one day?

>Also gib BD Pony Canyon.

I pre-ordered and bought the Diskotek Blurays, though it wasn't upscaled. Just the DVD files on a bluray disk. I wonder how well they sold.

oh shit my mistake here is a cel

yeah. The show or OVAs?

The last few eps of Key are criminally shit. It's a damn shame too. I liked it a lot up until then. Still worth watching though.

Dezaki really was a god at using his visual direction to enhance the execution of the story and the characters emotions. Even Ace wo Nera!, as rough as the art and animation looks tends to be a quite a treat visually due to Dezaki. Let alone his latter works. Golgo 13 especially blows me away.

>there aren't many people who actually want it
There aren't people over here who want it either. What makes anime good is that its 2D unlike all the western shit.

The OST too.

youtube.com/watch?v=LzGWT_1d0sE

I'll probably try Golgo 13 next.

jUST DO IT, FAGGOT. Just be prepared for a shitton of plot dump

You should. There has never been a bad animated adaption. All of it is good shit.

>I don't know if I can finish Key despite being on episode 14
Honestly they aren't that bad. Just watch em.

Ah, well never mind then.

I remember enjoying Key, but I can't remember much about it. Guess it is time for a rewatch, it has prolly been a decade since I even thought about that show.

Meanwhile pic related gets rewatched at least once a year.

You posted the wrong pic, that's not Jupiter.

You should watch the two Galaxy Express 999 movies next if you haven't seen them.

Just listened to the song while watching the gif on repeat. Makes me real happy I grabbed that discotek blu ray release on a whim.

Finished watching Votoms today, what a ride that was.

a good one?

Yeah, I'd give it 8/10. Definitely worth a watch.

Seems bothersome setting up a way to display subs. I cherrypick my non NTSC lds - good production/atmospheric (Yamada/Ruin Explorers), good episodes(last half of Berserk). Only full show I got is Eva since it's top-tier

macross plus, finished it yesterday
decent music, nice flow, shame it's so short

I just finished watching this. I liked it. The last episode in particular was pretty cool. Also, has anyone read the manga? How does it compare to the OVA?

I watched this not to long ago too. I thought the character we're pretty interesting. Didn't care much for the ending though

> Spirit of Wonder
Definitely read the manga, too. Tsuruta Kenji's art is top.

I tend to prefer going with the manga first before watching an adaptation, but I've heard a lot of good stuff about the Rose of Versailles animated series. Should I just watch the anime, or stick to the manga?

> The show or OVAs?
Considering that he's fawning about Dezaki, then OVAs.

Read the Jagi manga and watch the DD show

> Should I just watch the anime, or stick to the manga?
Finish the manga and watch the anime. Seriously, both are worth it.

Mamo is considered the best special by a lot of Lupin fans, myself included.

I feel like you could just pick any 20 random screens from AnJ for one of these. That show is beautiful.

All of those are great, though. Fuck off.

>I just finished watching this. I liked it. The last episode in particular was pretty cool. Also, has anyone read the manga? How does it compare to the OVA?
Bad. It continues where the anime left off, which was a perfect ending.

Nah. They're really not.

Watched this garbage Ghibli knock off. And it was, yeah, garbage. Nothing happens for most of the movie, which is so boring, every character gets bored. Seriously. If they had cut it down to an hour, it could've been good.
Editing was shit too though. You disappoint me Studio 4C.

Also watched Rintaro's Kaze no Matasaburo, which gets posted here from time to time. There were some nice moments, but overall it doesn't do anything for me. Don't know what the story was supposed to be.
Maybe I don't get Kenji Miyazawa, but I like Gauche, but that had breath taking scenery and Isao Takahata.
What do you guys think of Kenji Miyazawa (anime)?

>Miyazaki's uniqe looking visuals
You mean Moebius.

Epic contrarianism, bro. You're really fitting in well.

>Ghibli knock off
I'd say Children Who Chase Lost Voices is a Ghibli knock off. Arete not that much.

Watch Ginga Tetsudou no Yoru. It's a masterpiece.