Macross

So apparently Delta movie is out and it's rushed as fuck.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/adolinkers/status/962551532175507456
animenewsnetwork.com/review/gekijo-ban-macross-delta/gekijo-no-walkure/.127637
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

surprising no one

The movie was bad. The plot changes aside, most of it was scenes from the TV series poorly segued together leading into the same battle against Roid with none of the buildup. Having seen the series, the movie ending with the farewell to Messer felt incredibly out of place even if they were trying to condense it all and still have the plot of the movie make sense. Hayate's character felt weak too since he's already in the Delta squadron at the start of the movie and there isn't much development there. The triangle between Hayate, Freyja and Mirage is all the more strange with how irrelevant the relationships are.

The newly animated concert for Walkūre wa Uragiranai was cool and entirely in CGI. The other new songs didn't get any new animations unfortunately though they weren't very memorable aside from Dancing in the Moonlight as the movie ED.

I'm almost certain the entire purpose of this movie was solely to push Walkure's 3rd live since before and during the seiyuu event, they did nothing but try to pile on hype for it while the movie itself somehow managed to as unimpressive as the second half of the TV series.

So it's pretty much just a recap of the first ~13 episodes?

So are they really making more Delta anime or not?

Sounds a lot like the first Frontier movie, but somehow even shittier.

It has Freyja's birthday, the protoculture ruins, Walkure being captured/rescued (with Freyja being captured too), Mikumo becoming the Star Singer, Roid activating the hivemind and the Delta Squadron/Windniggers/Walkure teaming up to beat him. Ends the same way with Keith jumping out of his VF and impaling Roid, then exploding.

Since the romance was completely butchered, instead of Hayate flying off with Freyja with Mirage onlooking, it ends with them talking on the beach and holding hands briefly before they do the farewell to Messer where everyone sings Giraffe Blues. Then they have Dancing in the Moonlight while the credits play.

The pacing of the movie was disastrous. Kawamori and the seiyuu asked if there was anyone who hadn't seen the TV series before coming to the movie and from what I could tell, everyone in the audience had already seen it. Which made it all the more evident that they were as confused as I was because when the credits played after the farewell to Messer, it was deathly quiet before a bit of awkward clapping and everyone shuffling out of the theater.

Makina and Reina were almost entirely irrelevant for the film, more so than the series since they didn't get their own individual songs. They had their scenes together and reminiscing with Kaname about pre-Mikumo Walkure (like in the TV series) but that's about it. Maybe I dozed off and missed it during the large gap of TV series scenes pasted one after another but I don't remember Makina getting shot by the sniper like she did in the TV series which makes the movie poster make even less sense.

I have no idea.

Delta was a mistake.

Plot sure was. Especially the bishes fujo crap team.

Walkure were not.

Please tell me that Mirage won in the movie

She was a non character.

Yup, the japanese hate it.

The exact same as the series. She is but a mirage.

Who care about Delta movie, the next Macross series just found it's opening song

J Pop Techno group ADOLINKERS from avex announced to tie up their song Level X to be the new Macross TV opening song: twitter.com/adolinkers/status/962551532175507456

Yeah, we need a sequel because Walkure is awesome.

Any new jets? The poster had armored pack for the VF31 and the trailer showed VF-31F using the lil draken but i need to know if there are more.

>24 episodes into one movie
Wow, what a surprise.

From the spoiler I saw it seems to be a high budget Walkure music commercial with wonderful concert scenes.
With much pandering to MessaKana fans except Messer still dies in Kaname's arms.
And I love Walkure and Kaname so that is nice

So Macross truly is ded

Happy birthday Mirage

macross is dead you imbecile stop posting this vomit

I just want to listen to the new songs.

Isn’t Uta Macross doing well?

I don't recall. It's been a while since I've watched the series but even with the same fight scenes, they extended most of them to be a little longer. Messer doesn't die to Keith's last shot, instead dodging it and dogfighting a little more. He dies nonetheless after vulcan fire downs his plane and he lands in front of Kaname. He talks to her a little bit about how her songs saved him and then he dies in her arms. I think Hayate had a little more flair to his moves too in certain scenes, reminded me a little of the VF breakdancing from early in the series.

There's only one new and major concert scene which is fully in CG and most likely where the entire budget went. The other concerts are mostly lifted straight from the anime with small changes (Ikenai Borderline starts the same way with Mikumo busting out of the debris but at this point, Freyja is technically already part of Walkure and transforms into her stage outfit after her rune shines on the battlefield, etc.). Namidame Bakuhatsuon and pre-Mikumo Walkure is instead reminisced over in a spa, where Freyja starts singing the song as well.

Walkure wa Uragiranai and Dancing in the Moonlight were by far the best new tracks.

Not even Mirage herself care about the triangle at all, she's most busying use Draken III to fucking Bogue up in movie.

There's still the scenes where Mirage asks Hayate what he thinks about Freyja while they're shopping for her birthday present and generally looking downcast any time the two are together. But the triangle/romance is practically nonexistent in the movie so it doesn't matter.

>entire galaxy as a setting
>focus on musical groups
>end up with the same old themes and tired storylines

Macross writers failed creative writing.

This is Kawamori’s thing, he does this in every series he produces even the nonMacross ones.

>Messer still dies
Dropped before picking up

Him surviving wouldn’t change anything. Hayate would be worse off if he didn’t have a reason to improve.

How much I have to wait for the new album? I hope it sells a shiton of discs to see more of the group in the future.

Isn’t the release date for Valentines?

Yeah, you're right.

How does this sound anything like the Frontier movie?

New series is probably Delta related. Walkure make too much $.

Macross is more alive than ever idiot.

Music stuff is great. They should make Macross Love Live.

They’re both shit.

>deleted tweet
Wow

It was obviously fake.

This. Walkure remains healthy and the guys who put the money probably want to keep squeezing the music group.

animenewsnetwork.com/review/gekijo-ban-macross-delta/gekijo-no-walkure/.127637

isn't it a literal recap movie? wtf did you expect?

Basically, most of these products are focused on people who already saw the source material.

Well, atleast I heard it has a healthy amount of fight scenes.

It’s not even a recap, it’s a retelling with different plot points. Why would you not expect better animation or anything since it’s been almost 2 years since the TV series ended?

This review reads like shit, he even claims the second half of the story is different from the series when it’s almost exactly the same. How did this movie get a B- when he even recognizes that it’s a rushed piece of shit without having watched the anime?

>I don't recall. It's been a while since I've watched the series but even with the same fight scenes, they extended most of them to be a little longer. Messer doesn't die to Keith's last shot, instead dodging it and dogfighting a little more. He dies nonetheless after vulcan fire downs his plane and he lands in front of Kaname. He talks to her a little bit about how her songs saved him and then he dies in her arms. I think Hayate had a little more flair to his moves too in certain scenes, reminded me a little of the VF breakdancing from early in the series.
Wel, at least that sounds nice. Everything else sounds like total dog shit.

Which one was less shit?

Frontier.

I thought the movie would have been nice based off the previous thread but apparently it's bad now? Eh, fuck it. Delta in general was a mistake and wasted potential.

I think Delta gets a lot of unnecessary hate to tell the truth, the first cour was perfectly fine up until even Messer's death. Then the second cour was just garbage. The characters in and of themselves weren't the most important or developed either outside of Freyja, maybe Mikumo, and a couple windies. Hayate was a truly bland character but anyway, it could have been done a lot better.

Why get a movie if it's the same shit?

It’s literally a shorter version of the anime with lots removed and a few new animated scenes? What made you think it was good from the last thread?

It alienated a lot of people from the start with fujobait team.

Nobody ever says anything bad about the first half. All the complaints are about how the second half was shit which is warranted.

Any new breakdancing Alto sequences? It was one of the few good things from tv series (except music).

Do you think Kawamori will fuck up Pandora as well?

>Hayate was truly bland
I don't get this. Granted, he's no Basara, but he's a million times more interesting than Alto, has actual banter, and acts as a fitting, cynical foil to the upbeat optimism of Freyja. A lead pair with romantic chemistry is so rare in Macross, and Delta had that in spades.

You won’t be happy with the movie then.

I don't intend to be, nor am I happy with the TV show, but these are some pretty excellent characters, and the first half of Delta was really great. I'd hate to see all that get swept aside. Freyja was cute, but she had a lot of help. A complex love interest, a varied side cast, etc.

He just felt one dimensional. There was nothing overly in depth about him besides the VAR connection with Freyja, his relationship with Freyja in general which drove things forward, and the connection with his dad. Other than that there was nothing overly notable about him.

That all gets swept aside in the movie.

>45 IQ into one user's head
Wow what a surprise.

He's not trash but he's mediocre as fuck. Male leads are meh in general. Macross finally needs all girl season.

So it really was just one movie for the entire series. How disappointing.

On the positive side, with only one movie with what sounds like more reused footage compared to the first Frontier movie, this might not have cut too much into production for the next Macross.

That was 0048.

It's really funny how I didn't even notice the mistake.

While I agree that Hayate wasn't noticeably complex, he was still better than Alto and Shin whoever the fuck.

And I agree with the other user that he and Freyja had chemistry. This was the most invested I was in a Macross romance, not just in which girl I wanted to win. Besides, he did have an arc from vagabond to someone who found his place, even if it was just an okay one.

Male lead aren't the problem, writing is. I wouldn't mind an all-girl Macroos though. And I want that female pilot MC who's an ace on par with the best, unlike Mirage.

I think there was more to him than that, at least in the TV show. You see his cynical guise slowly break apart and the guy develop from being reckless and childish into someone more mature and responsible. This inner conflict makes for a nice parallel with Freyja too, and I'll contend that Delta's first 5 episodes or so were some of the best across all of Macross.

That said, they should've spent a little more time developing him throughout, but the entire plot falls apart at some point. Still Hayate's not a bad protagonist, one that can at least banter and with enough spice and snark to him that he's not a total bore, and you want to see him succeed.

Yeah, movie doesn't sound great.

So what the hell is up with Macross 2018?

Cancelled?

I don't get the love for Freyja to be honest, she is very cute and has a charming personality but Ranka and Sheryl are far above her in terms of characterization, background, development and design. Mirage was literal shit as a main character.

This. The peak of Macross will always be Sayonara no Tsubasa.

No, we don't even know what the 2018 project will be. It could be a Delta Sequel, or entirely new Macross. I assume it'll be a Delta Sequel since it's happening so close to Delta's ending, shit just ended like 2 years ago.

>The peak of Macross
>When Sheryl won
user...I..

>I have a shit taste

>inb4 it was this movie all along

Wasn't 2018 teased with Sheryl?

>Switch to a second cour because the movie was cancelled
>do the movie anyway
THE ABSOLUTE MADMEN

So many of Delta's problems were that it was a Macross show. As a Macross show, it had to live up to expectations - huge space opera and love triangles and whatnot - but the core of the show didn't vibe with that. The story was always focused on Hayate and Freyja, Mirage was there only as a formality for the series, which hurt both the consistency and the focus of the story, and also gave us a bland non-character who wasn't going to do anything, just for the sake of sticking to the brand.

Most of Mirage's role in the story could be melded into Messer, anyways, and give it more impact when he died. We could spend more time focusing on developing Hayate and Freyja and get more moments like Freyja's birthday, make the show more of a straight romance. But Macross "needs" a love triangle. That's what held the story back, in a big way. I think literally everyone would be happy if the story was just a romance, no dumb gimmicks, with war going on in the background and lifespan drama.

>Ranka
>characterization
Ranka was cute but she was also bland and generic. Sheryl was a far more complex character, with a set of actual motivations and flaws, but there was no chemistry between her and Alto. Freyja has extremely strong motivations, a backstory that puts all this into context, and a fitting romantic partner that aids in her growth. That's the best and most complete Macross has ever been.

I also think that Delta gets hate it doesn't deserve. Partly from people who pair girls up to get Hayate they don't deserve.
Isn't making a movie out of a Robotech series become a godawful mess a tradition at this point? Pic related.

>Male lead aren't the problem

Yes they are. Otaku are tired of them. Macross love live would sell like crazy.

Ranka has a well established backstory which was central to the plot, she also has flaws such as her insecurity and inferiority complex which she learn to overcome as the series progress, specially in SNT where she is the one leading everyone in the final battle, even though they failed at the end. Since the beginning Ranka wanted just to be famous like Sheryl but by the end of the series her only and main motivation was to spread love and peace using her songs, that's a very powerful motive.

>generic
Maybe so, just as every other Macross girl. Freyja character in a nutshell is just a "I will never give up" cute genki pacifist girl. And much of her attributes are actually borrowed from Ranka and Sheryl, Just like both of them are based on the two different versions of Minmay.

>but there was no chemistry between her and Alto.
Chemistry is subjective. In my opinion, Sheryl and Alto have more chemistry than Hayate and Freyja as well as more memorable/epic moments, but that's just my point of view.

>she also has flaws such as her insecurity and inferiority complex which she learn to overcome as the series progress, specially in SNT where she is the one leading everyone in the final battle, even though they failed at the end.
I liked that moment, but "insecurity" is as conventional and generic a motive as possible. Freyja is insecure, Minmay is insecure, hell, part of what made Sheryl charming was how confident she was despite it all. Where was the smugness? The arrogance? The internal turmoil that gives us a convincing character arc? Sheryl had it, Freyja had it. Ranka really didn't.

>Since the beginning Ranka wanted just to be famous like Sheryl but by the end of the series her only and main motivation was to spread love and peace using her songs, that's a very powerful motive.
That's a very substantial motive, not a powerful one. It's lackluster in the same way that "Save the world" is a lackluster motive. It's unspecific and impersonal. No one watching cares about the "world," we care about the characters that inhabit them. Freyja's motives, of just wanting to fulfill her dreams before her time runs out, or Sheryl's drama about the disease and her father, hit closer to home.

Just as important are the characters' actions. Compare Ranka and Freyja. They have similar goals, of wanting to be famous and sing - but how do they go about it? Ranka kind of gets caught up and takes an opportunity she finds, taking little proactive initiative. Freyja sneaks aboard a space cargo ship, risking life and limb, braving the unknown to see her goals met - the difference is clear.

>Chemistry is subjective. In my opinion, Sheryl and Alto have more chemistry than Hayate and Freyja as well as more memorable/epic moments, but that's just my point of view.
I think that's just because F had amazing setpieces in general. If you look at a romance as the effect characters have on one another, Delta is more substantial.

F movies were dumb shit for retards.

I don't know why people like Sheryl, her personality was annoying and it felt like she tried too hard to get Alto's attention.

My man, Ranka is love, Ranka is life. Plus her being the essential queen of the Vajra was a nice touch.

Frontier movies were perfectly fine to be honest. They cut out the unnecessary shit, based boy Micheal lived and got the Klan, and Sheryl won.

I'd actually think the opposite, in that Mirage being a mirage ended up ruining the triangle.
They had it perfectly set up for Hayate to be her Max, but they never built on it. She's just there to be Hayate's literal wing man.
Freyja on the other hand had more than enough screen time dedicated to building her relationship with Hayate.
The result is that their relationship isn't an exciting love triangle and everyone knows that Freyja is going to win the Hayatebowl without a doubt.
But what I believe ended up being the bigger problem with Delta was how they wrapped up the ending. All the Windy drama built up over so many episodes becomes wasted by the final episode when one of them goes absolute madman.
They go from wanting to conquer everyone to being forced to turn a new leaf in one episode. They never truly experience deculture like the Zentradi do, and their conflict against the UN Spacy doesn't feel resolved.

"Exciting love triangle" at this point has become stale. Anorexic characters left in states of relationship limbo due to the "love triangle." Not to say that it can't work, but even in the original Macross it was lackluster. Delta is the closest we've gotten to a "real" romance in a Macross show, even if it shit its pants in the second half.

>Which made it all the more evident that they were as confused as I was because when the credits played after the farewell to Messer, it was deathly quiet before a bit of awkward clapping and everyone shuffling out of the theater.
Yikes. Glad I wasn't excited, that sounds god-awful.

This really, they need to throw away the love triangle idea or spice it up in any way possible at this point. I don't care if it's Yuri, someone gets cheated on, or they flat out change it to just a plain couple or love square at this point.

Well yeah, I'm saying that they had the ingredients for a good love triangle that could have worked, but just completely sidelined it.
In fact all the ingredients for a good Macross show were set up and ruined by the second half.
Macross 7 completely threw love out the window and it was great. Just raw, concentrated "LISTEN TO MY SONG" and ending conflict through the power of music.

What said, 7 gets a lot of shit (mostly for the copy pasted fights) but it threw out the love triangle, had some romantic subplot still existing in the plot though, and it went perfectly fine. Then again it just worked because Basara was dense as all hell and didn't really care about romance or choosing anyone, it was 100% his focus to the music. Not only that but he was a based pilot as well, so that made it better.
>Overall
We just need another lead singer who's a pilot for the starting basis, no need for romance in regards to their character.

It'd be nice if there was already a pre existing relationship and then it slowly developed more and more until the end of the series where we get a baby ending, I don't see that suggested a lot.

They really should stop with Delta especially it being one of the worst Macross shows ever.

I'd say the problem is that there's no tension to the triangles, the winners are far too obvious with the only way for the designated loser to win is to do meme X dies and they're the rebound

Because watching people fall in love, and the confession are the best parts of watching a relationship