Maid Dragon

Is this what KyoAni is really capable of? The Backgrounds in VEG are pretty stale compared to this.

I've never watched that show but that looks nice, and I agree better than VEG. It reminds me slightly of 80s/90s backgrounds.

VEG's backgrounds have been better.

Why does everything look so tiny? Is that the native resolution?

VEG has backgrounds?

Maidragon's visuals are far superior to VEG's in general.
Maidragon is an anime that embraces the strengths of anime as a medium.
VEG is an anime that rejects those strengths and tries to emulate film poorly.

No, it has wide foregrounds for when they want to briefly show what an area looks like. When actual characters or objects are in the foreground, the actual backgrounds turn into blurry mush. Pic related.

A character is not in the foreground there, he's part of the background. And although it's not quite mush, it's still unnecessarily blurred and bloomed. Cherry picking stuff isn't helpful anyway. I've actually watched the show, I know that the backgrounds don't look good most of the time. You're not going to convince me that my eyes are wrong and they're actually good by posting a few screencaps of stuff I've already seen.

>tries to emulate film
Aren't you supposed to focus on the shit you are filming? Not even action flicks are this blurry.

Only Shinkai's films beat VEG on the background department.

Their backgrounds have been improving lately.

Yup. The one you just posted is absolutely gorgeous.

This one is good for the details it gives showing how far the war went, how long it lasted, and how its effects are still active. The bridge is still down even if the machinery is being overgrown.

All these VEG backgrounds are pretty at first glance but feel empty, like a painting on a biscuit tin. The one in the OP isn't the best background ever made, but it captures an atmosphere. I wish I had art knowledge so I could describe what I meant better.

Your bias is showing. Pretty much all of VEG's background tell you something about the world the characters are in.

Obviously if I prefer something I'm biased towards it. That's what taste is.

Perhaps it's because nothing is focused on or clear in them. Everything is murky and it feels like they don't actually have any detail to them. Compare the one in to a similar shot from Caglistro. Look at all the small details in Caglistro's, how everything is its own bold colour and has its own unique shape and form. I also have trouble properly describing, but that's the best I can do.

One looks like a painting and one clearly looks drawn. You figure out which is which.