ITT: Manga wiling to criticize Japanese society

Western works are full of criticism of American society, but it's rare to see Manga that don't go full NIPPON BANZAI and refuse to ever acknowledge Japan's flaws. It's interesting to see what actual Japanese authors think about Japan.

Other urls found in this thread:

mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=457
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Investor Z has a few.

There's a lot of seinen with pages like this, but I'd rather have no social criticism than shallow stuff like Akumetsu.

Misappropriation investor Nakabo Rintaro.

a lot of political commentary and satire doesn't get translated.

That is actually where I got the OP pic. But yes, there's a lot more of that where that came from.

While Japan has some flaws in it's culture, it's honestly not too bad.
Biggest thing that comes to mind that karoshi is even a fucking thing that had to be named.

He doesn't say Japan but this issue happens more in Japan than the western world.

Friendly remindee that japan took in less than 1% of all refugees. They know whats up and what's right.

There's quite a few seinen that criticize elements of traditional Japanese culture, especially the problems with work/life balance. They just don't get translated much because they aren't of much interest to the general non-Japanese public

I'd like to see 0% Sup Forums refugees on Sup Forums.

Aren't there a lot of manga that criticize the Japanese education system? GTO springs immediately to mind

this
and they tend not to use entry level japanese

>tumblrina

Koe no Katachi went all-in on denouncing Japan's horrible attitude towards the disabled and bullying.
It actually got sued and had a hard time getting serialized after its pilot chapter because of it.

you should read FKMT's (Nobuyuki Fukumoto) works, the author of Kaiji and Akagi
though he mostly does gambling mangas, he has some very critical points towards Japanese society

Sanctuary was both full NIPPON BANZAI and criticism against it's politics.

Yeah, especially stuff about delinquents.

What's the point of this shitpost?

>wanting young fuckers to run the country
That's how you get dictatorships, notice the US presidents are middle aged atleast.

Presumably any criticism more subtle than having a character speak a wall of text about "you know what's wrong with Japan" will go largely unnoticed outside of it.
Psycho Pass is kind of a dig at Japan's court system and prosecution rate for instance, but that goes totally unnoticed in favour of everything else.

>young people are dictators

Because it wasn't true if I remember that arc correctly.

>but it's rare to see Manga that don't go full NIPPON BANZAI and refuse to ever acknowledge Japan's flaws.

Read more manga my dude.

What manga is it? It doesn't seem to be the one in the OP.

Pretty much every medical manga i have read, shows Japan medical system in a really unfavorable light

Depends on your definition of tumblrina I guess.

Same manga dude same manga, go read investopr Z and Dragon Zakura

she was only partially informed and soap boxing, I didn't make an entirely unfair criticism since it was what Norifusa-sensei was also making.

Onward Towards Our Noble Deaths is written and drawn by a one armed veteran of the Imperial Japanese Army and is no bullshit about the Japanese military.
A lot of nationalists hated the mangaka for being a vet and telling it how it was.
It's also pretty intense because it has innocent cartoony caricatures with realistic backgrounds and depictions of gore and violence to drive home how jarring it all was.

The mangaka, by the way. Served in Papa New Guinea and lost his left arm in an Allied air raid.

>Koe no Katachi

the movie shaved off a lot of the sharp edges of the manga, but the manga itself was pretty in-your-face about how fucked up japanese bullying was

there's a manga I remember finding where I think a reporter or random guy/girl moves to a place out in the countryside the first couple of chapters have them crash a debauched party for government officials
anyone recognise it?
and there's another about japanese agricultural policy and its outright exploitation and corruption.

I think the second had an official french translation though I know little more.

Gantz is full of that shit.

But japan also love to romanticize "fucked up" thinking and behavior. They stress the "our society suppress us" to extremes to justify extreme thinking.

btw, just now I was talking abou this cool manga called "Kuutei Dragons". I like this manga but I can't unseen that what I'm reading is just a highly romanticized vision of predatory whale and dolphin hunting. "We'll butcher those animals till their extinction because killing then is what makes us human and nihon culture".

Like with everyone else their "enlightened thinking" is also full of shit.

I read.... i dunno, 10 chapters. It was so boring, I was expecting a light!Sun Ken Rock, it was more violent, sure, but without depth.
does it get better?

Most of them go full Nippon banzai because that's what they think about their country. Like wise when they don't like it they criticize it, i don' think they are being fake when they sing the praises of japan, i think hat's what they believe in.

I loved that work. It's sadly about the closest thing I've read to a primary source detailing the life of a Japanese soldier during the war. Really eye opening. The mangaka died a few years back.

>profit unethically
>bashed
This is good, though.

>but it's rare to see Manga that don't go full NIPPON BANZAI and refuse to ever acknowledge Japan's flaws.
Or maybe if you weren't so full of shit you maybe realize that there's shitton of this horseshit almost everywhere.

The Japanese definition of "profiting unethically" is probably quite different.

>wanting to get paid equally and treated fairly in a country where this is an actual problem is Tumblr now
God I wish Sup Forums would get paid 10% less than the average man too. Maybe you would starve to death

>But japan also love to romanticize "fucked up" thinking and behavior.
Sometimes it's hilarious to see it happen.

I recommend Fires on the Plain for you if you're okay with film.
But yeah, Onwards Towards Our Noble Deaths is definitely one of if not the best sources for that kind of info.
Was really disheartened to hear about Shigeru's passing, definitely.

Bullying wasn't the main focus of the story.

Whenever a Jap brings up Native Americans, all you have to do is utter one word, "Ainu", and he will claw his own face to pieces in rage.

>Muh whales
Fuck off, I read it and that manga has nothing to do with it. Next you are going to say pol is right and lord of the rings is an allegory for the invading immigrants and the destruction they bring.

That poor bastard, being the sole survivor of the charge, being wounded and having maggots eat his face and then he get unceremoniously shot. Still a better way to go than the guy who choked on that fish. Thanks for the film suggestion.

what manga is i this?

In Japan this shit is really true though.

Team Medical Dragon.

If you knew what tumblr is and who is posting there you might actually not bother to act like a total retard and bringing the Sup Forumsboogeyman you dickless newfags are doing quite recently
Females wanting to get paid equally? go fucking work like man then, oh but wait they always picking the easiest way or when they trying actually to do the same as man, they fucking fail and demand a special treatment.
For a place full of kissless virgins there is sure way too many pretentious leftie scumbags

Yo dipshit if you haven't read Investor Z and understood why I called her a tumblrina then perhaps you're the one who should actually leave
and coming back from that a little further men and women ARE physically, mentally, and opportunistically different, if you want to work the exact same jobs and under the same conditions men work then perhaps you should go and apply for them
though I take the overarching point that you were clumsily trying to make seriously

GTO, NHK, SZS

>it truly is a feudal society ruled over by an incompetent lord

man, never thought I would see this, this is how I see japan honestly, they may be a modern country in terms of technology and and infrastructure, but the way society there works and organize itself is plain old.

If I really had to choose, give me Japan anytime on this issue

great teacher onizuka

trying to lol

not really

Kunimitsu no Matsuri?
mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=457
>Eighteen-year-old Mutou Kunimitsu sees how political injustice is committed all the time and that the government is profiting from the poor and labor class. So, he decides to change all of Japan. Here starts the legend of the man later known as the "Japanese Don."
>Won the Kodansha Manga Award for Shounen in 2003

Golden boy gets political at the end all of the sudden.

>Western works are full of criticism of American society
Because American society sucks

>They're bashed if they succeed?
So no different from the West then?

No wonder Japan is fucked. It's a county full of bitter poorfags.

Based Japan

If only people like him actually ruled Japan and cut all this bullshit about how pure and innocent Japan is and keeping their shitty nationalism at minimum at least.

And that's why Jap women are immeasurably superior.

To be fair Japan lost the second America decided to drop the nuclear bomb regardless of whether Empirical Japan was run well or not.

source of this deep manga?

It's kind of weird how the Japanese are notorious for apologizing over absolutely everything, but refuse to acknowledge how shitty they were back during WWII.

The biggest example of this is how Japan uses christianity, Sup Forums doesn't get it and americans get mad.

The only really wrong thing with Japan is that they overwork people. That's about it.

Other than that they're an almost perfect country and every country in the world should try to emulate them.

How is this any different from the US?

When has Sup Forums been mad at a depiction of Christianity in Manga?

Japan have a lot of criticism or at least aknowledging it's flaws, but like in U.S, it means next to nothing.
This is the illusion of freedom and some kind of power of people or public voice that people brainwashed to believe in.

I picked that up at Sup Forums's recommendation. When does it start doing that? Did I get memed on?

The problem with japan is this cultural thing of "cant criticize a in-group" if you are part of something, you cant criticize it, even if its to see if there is a problem and change it, this extends to any level, from family, school, clubs, workplace and country; even if you just want to evaluate a current system to find if there is a part where is lacking, you cant do it, also add the whole "respect of the elder" stuff, you have to bee kiss butting all the old men running things, that probably dont have a real idea of what they are doing.

Abe is a right-wing nut

There were several more reasons why japan lost, one of them is being absolutely overconfident and taking on a much major threat than they could handle. Even after the Meiji reform they were still behind technologically. So even if they did everything right they would still got bombed into oblivion, the best course of action as to not involve the USA in the war.

Investor Z

You're presumably still in the part where the MC is learning the ropes on buying and selling stocks and stuff. Won't take much longer.

>I want my daughter to be miserable and lonely
Sure reeks of tumblr here

Samurai Champloo gives a pretty grim picture of Japans past with all the prostitution

Psycho piss is not ciriticism of any sort you goof, it's a Urobotcher's poor man's equilibrium and 1984.
That's like saying Madoka is criticism of energy resourcing.

they apologize out of courtesy and manners, no because they really feel bad something, and why they will accept they did something wrong? after all they are the great nation of japan, better than any other place in the world because they work harder than anyone else, and they have a rich culture and traditions that no one can rival.

You don't actually believe this bullshit is real do you?

>Tojo, my son
>you invaded America's ally and they stopped trading oil
>yuo must choose the next course of action
>Negotiate with America to continue trading oil
>or bomb America
>...
>present day
>NIHON DINDU NUFFINGU WRONGU AMERICA GOADED US INTO WAR

SZS

I've been working on a troll to claim the Soviets declaring war on Japan was the real reason they surrendered but I can't make the timeline work.

It's not surprising though, it is shamefur dispray and if they admit they actually did this they can only commit a seppuku on a country's scale.
Seriously speaking it's more about USA being behind Japan and sort of covering shit for their own benefit, even though at first USA actually banished any kind of nationalism from Japan, you did one job Uncle Sam.

>Other than that they're an almost perfect country and every country in the world should try to emulate them.
>everything is run by the yakuza
>stress and depression is so rampant that suicide is common
>you cant search professional help because is shameful

yeah right

KnK is more (cheap) melodrama than a deep look at bullying.

Abe is the only guy getting stuff done. I can't hate the guy because he's doing the best he can to keep the country afloat. How does his opposition plan to fix Japan?

>you invaded America's ally
Yes, in 1934

The way the system works is pretty clearly an allusion to Japan's close to 100% prosecution rate. It's also pretty clearly a dumb system. It's not a very substantial criticism, but nor is it a subtle one.