Second watch-through Devilman:Crybaby

I was gonna save this for Valentines Day, but it turns out I have something to do on that day , so come on watch this with me and we will make commentary as we go.

This is for people who want to do a second watch-through please.

First thoughts: The Opening: Rorsarch test? What is the meaning you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

nyaa.si/view/993367
youtu.be/MCE3e1-jNHw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Oh dude...Satan's Japanese voice is so much better.

(yeah I watched it first in English. So sue me. _)

Nice coincidence bec decided to rewatch last night. I'm currently on the 3rd episode.

I'm going to sue your sorry ass. This is criminal. Murase Ayumu is a miracle.

I'm still on the first, but I figure it could be really fun to try and talk about it as we go. I am picking up on things I missed the first time around. I will probably be taking screen shots too .

Have a Miki ass shot!

Episode 2

We need more anime with nipples

The english was the default and if the acting isn't bad, I just go with it. But yeah..I don't hate the English, but the Satan voice sounds a little ...eh Michael Jackson-y? instead of velvety smooth.

>dub

Ewww

I did not pick up on this.

in episode 2 you find out the other runner chick (with the big tits) gets raped by that photographer dude who would photograph the main character chick for her instagram.

i missed that on the first watch through. it gets so dark so fast

Some people are still arguing that was just a fantasy, but I can't tell if it's fantasy or flashback.

Paying extra close attention to the raps this time around.

why would she have a fantasy about the photographer guy forcing himself on her? I suppose, yes, she was masturbating while those images flashed across

I think it fits more with the dark outlook of the show (cynical view of humanity) that the guy preyed on her and actually did lure her with professional photographs into a rape scenario. that being said, people are free to interpret it however they want

Ahg, god this kills me now.

Those subs look awful. This one looks better. Ripped from Netflix.
nyaa.si/view/993367

Must be your monitor

OH are the subs really bad so other people resub them?

The first few eps aren't meant to be dark and cynical though. They're meant to be crazy and fun, luring you in so that you're hit hard when the show does turn into a depressing fuckfest.

This was the funniest death in the club scene

There`s a scene where she rubs herself raw over the thought of his bulging penis and you didnt pick up that she was carrying a torch for Akira?

I thought everyone was hot for Akira after the transformation though...didn't think anything was going on before.

I don't get the love for this show. It was pretty meh, IMO.

This club scene is so amazing.

Just finished it for the first time. I feel like the ending was missing a certain je ne sais quoi, but overall I liked it.

I didn't get too sad when Miki died since I knew it was coming, but damn this shot hit me in a way I did not expect.

Mostly I feel like a plebian for not having read the original manga.

Thesis of Devilman. hahaha

It probably just rubs my buttons the right way. I am crazy for anything to do with demons , though.

I read the manga after watching Crybaby. I'm pretty plebian tear, though and will admit it. I tend to attach to a few series vehemently rather than watching anime more broadly.

I'm already liking things that I didn't on the first go around so I may feel differently after this go around. Like I thought Akira didn't have enough development pre transformation, but rewatching it he's actually packed with character before being Devilman.

*tier

didn't get this weird running at first but i think they're supposed to be running like animals

I assumed the point was that their running was inhuman.

Speaking of running- there is a huge emphasis on the question:Why do you run?
It comes up in the car ride too and again in the club scene . Satan sees it as pointless, but it's something people do regardless.

I do like the addition of running as a metaphor. I've seen Ping Pong, though and it makes perfect sense that Yuasa would reuse sports to illustrate a point.

in the 1st ep Ryo says something like "why do you run.. your abilities is nothing like dogs, etc" so it's like he gained the ability to run as fast as dogs after his transformation

Also do you think at any point he felt guilty? (In Crybaby, not the manga )
There is also a lot more sincerity in this version of Ryo than I remembered at the start, and I am feeling like his later behavior tainted my memory of him.

Hard to say. He didn't realize who he was early on. He might have been confused by his actions like in this scene while his human side was in full control.

Yeah he seems to slip in and out of knowing what he's doing (you know because he asks Amon to possess Akira) . But his core beliefs about humanity still seem to be the same; they don't really go through a change like in the manga. But it also seems like his feelings for Akira at least are genuine.

I'm moving onto episode 2. Damn I love scenes like this in this show. Make me laugh and I am glad they exist.

What was this scene supposed to be about. I don't get it.

He gets crazy furry legs as Amon, no idea if the scene implied he slept while transformed or something

It's a reference to Akira turning into Devilman in his sleep in some OVA.

Makes sense. I thought he was painting his bed..

Why is the soundtrack so fucking good.
youtu.be/MCE3e1-jNHw

This quote + that face.

Just finished my first watch through today. I still don't know how I feel about the ending.

I can't breathe. Look how lovingly he is watching Akira as he stuffs his mouth full of meat.

Seemed the most plausible ending. Satan was gonna bring the apocalypse no matter what. He just delayed it in his efforts to save Akira.

This poor fucker.

I really liked the scene where she broke down after his confession.
Follow by that sick drop.

Why did the little dude have to eat his own mother?
Couldn't he just eat something or someone else? I guess the point was she didn't want him to be found out.

good stuff definitely! I always liked Kaim. Even at the end of this scene when she says he's no match for her, he smiles, like he doesn't expect anything less from her....and that's why he loves her.

Also- look at this last supper! For some reason, even though they are praying before they eat, and I knew they were Christians I didn't really focus on it the first time around.

HIs own hunger got the best of him ..He was probably trying to hold out for so long, and she didn't want to leave him on his own...I kind of wish he could have eaten animals instead.
It's worse for me to imagine her not even struggling for some reason.

ohhhhhhhhhhhh that's a lint roller.

I still can't tell if this scene is fantasy or not, even after watching it again. I can't even tell if it's supposed to depict rapre or 'oh no , please don't' foreplay .

im assuming he became a devilman, too. That means he could've survived on regular food instead of starving himself until he lost control.

Ah, the dread is setting in.

>we can get this edgy shit
>still no Franken Fran adaptation

I'm goin' to hell for this.

Yuasa can draw the ugliest faces.

A lot of them are just funny. I also really like how he plays with perspective sometimes. His style does make for some awkward expressions sometimes though.

I also don't really like the demon violence in the anime overall..You can get a feel of the violence better when humans are being killed .I think it's because the demons never really feel fleshy. You lose some of the visceral quality of the OVAs.

I'll probably create a new thread once I hit image limit. Onto episode 3!

Shop girl is really cute.

He wanted his dick sucked. She didn't take the hint.

I really like these two characters. I am glad they were added to the story.

Whatever happened to him?
Did he die at the Sabbath?
Did Miko kill him?
Who was the look-a-like?
At first I thought he started acting like a dick after becoming a Devilman too, but that was apparently just someone who looked like him and then we see his hand while Miko climbs a wall or some shit. But then she kept his glasses and that's what gave her away to that fucking rasta faggot. God I hated that guy.

This scene still makes no fucking sense. Why in the hell would she take a shower here? Maybe if she had gotten really muddy from the rain, sure?

Koda is the other guy, and he's actually at the very start of the series in the first episode even. They talk about runners possibly being doped up...and Koda even kills someone in ep 1. because they get suspicious.

And yes, this guy died at the Sabbath. The same one that ended up making Miko a devilman.

He is called Kukun (real name Mayuta).

I am thinking from this that maybe the demon water thing hadn't taken full control of him, and he was acting on his own desires at this point. Right?

im back lol

imo, the show is dark from the beginning. they literally go to a hedonistic rave where people are getting up to "amoral" hijinks. and they ryo goes on a rampage... and then other peeps go on a rampage and theres a massive homicide

There are a lot of fun hijinks that are easy to get distracted by after the first ep.

Also damn, Miki , did you not look up what kind of photography this guy usually does? Did you think he wasn't going to be kind of weird , you know and it wouldnt be strange to take a shower at his place?

How old are they supposed to be?

And what about this? She thinks about Akira as she's being drowned? Does she momentarily see the water demon's intentions or is that the thing she thinks about as her consciousness fades to black? It has been established from Akira being possessed by Amon that people don't really have a clear idea of what happens when it occurs. It seems to be more like a foggy memory. So it makes sense maybe Miki saw into what the water demon was thinking, but then completely forgot it afterwards?

Do you think Sirene's pride is so strong that she just hasnt had sex in all this time? And that's why she's kind of bat shit? No one else is 'up to the task'.

The sabbath isn't personal though. It's dark in the way that a Hollywood blockbuster is dark. Random non-characters are dying to give the heros a concrete reason to fight, to establish who the bad guys are, and to put some action on screen. You're not really meant to take their deaths seriously, and if you don't know the story of Devilman you're meant to feel securely that the main characters aren't going to be hurt by what's going on. It's later on when the tone turns more grim and main characters do start dying that it's meant to hit you.

that's really nice fanart

I know! I need to reverse image search it because I just got it from here. I would like to know who did it. I usually like to put their names in the file name.

Also I did not notice that technically Ryo did warn this lady. But he knew she would go and look anyway.

The third episode is really good, but the whole set up with the shower at the photographer's place still bothers me. I like stuff that Ryo says in this ep.

my gf and i have an ongoing joke we do since the episode where akira looked at her funny to find out if she's suspicious

yep that one

OH Taro, you don't just say things like that out loud.

I think her inferiority complex to Miki made her go along with him and eventually get preyed upon

They do at least a little set up with the photos before Episode 4.

How many inches?

I didn't even realize there was an english version until I had finished it

>The english was the default
It wasn't for me

>Mostly I feel like a plebian for not having read the original manga.
at least you can admit it. You can make up for it by buying the physical copy coming out in May

Taro knows Ryo's real plan

Read the manga. That whole part with the water demon was trimmed way down, it was more like a cameo.

My god...I can't even tell how big his balls are supposed to be from that.

I am not sure why it is that way in my settings.

It's really not terrible.

>pride is so strong that she just hasnt had sex in all this time
she hasn't because she's been frozen in ice for thousands of years. She wakes up and her husbando is missing

He didn't? Perharps demons could stay in human form, but not controlled by the heart.

I have...I don't recall something like this specifically being in the manga where she thinks 'Akira' before passing out...Maybe I am misremembering, but in that case, at least Akira was in the same house, and she had just finished talking to him, so it would make more sense. Here it just makes me wonder if she could hear Arguel's intentions.

I think it's just my settings or something. I actually found out about the English dub by watching it on someone elses profile. Not sure if theres a setting that makes original language the default or what.

Ended it for the first time right now, but honestly the ending was lacking of something, episode 9 made me cry like a fucking crybaby

Sorry the name is Aguel...not Arguel. That's what they call him in crybaby though I know he's like Ghelmer in the manga or something.

This sequence and the club scene are really burned into my brain. As is Miki's death later on.

Pretty much sums here up with this rap.

I was satisfied with the end, but maybe this time I will find fault with it. I'm actually not disliking things this time around that I didn't like before Parent's death

dude you are a grade a retard.
Like seriously

Damn, I love Mayuta. I love Wamu too.

God I want to fuck their butts while they keep their outfits on

Ow my heart, holy shit.