Can Akamatsu just retire already. UQ Holder is a fucking trainwreck

Can Akamatsu just retire already. UQ Holder is a fucking trainwreck.

Other urls found in this thread:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-02-06/japan-animation-blu-ray-disc-ranking-january-29-february-4/.127440
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It seems like people keep buying it unfortunately.

Are sales even that good?

Its connection to Negima is the only thing that keeps this piece of rubbish alive. That, and the fact it's written by a famous mangaka.

Had this same story been done by anyone else, it would have been cancelled long ago.

>Its connection to Negima is the only thing that keeps this piece of rubbish alive.
Too bad the Negi stuff is the worst part of the manga.

Jesus Christ What Akamatsu did to Negi is equal to what new Writers did to Bart Simpson.

I like it desu

>animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-02-06/japan-animation-blu-ray-disc-ranking-january-29-february-4/.127440
>833 UQ Holder! Magister Negi Magi! 2 Blu-ray Box

Blu-rays bombed, cancellation imminent.

The last chapter is very good, though.

>no nude Eva

NNNNOOOOO

Well, you're kind of doing it to yourself if you stuck with Akamatsu after Negima.
That was your chance to bail out, he's never going to improve.

It got an anime, so they can't have been too bad.

I can't believe the same person went from writing some really great arcs in Negima such as Mahora Festival and Mundus Magicus (up until it went to shit halfway through the Gravekeeper's Palace) that showed good understanding of writing tropes and felt snappy and balanced, to UQ Holder with its deluge of useless characters, asspulls, curbstomps, schizophrenic tone and pacing and overreliance on what came before to the point of leaving the allegedly new stuff underdeveloped.

Is it that bad? I was looking to check it out to get some closure to Negima after to rushed ending on that.

Most people picked it up in hopes that he use it to fix the ending of negima (which he did in a recent arc) then most dropped it after that arc.

I dropped it a while ago, but it was looking like it followed a different timeline from the one(s) briefly described at the end of Negima, so you won't find closure there. In fact, it seems to reset most of what Negi accomplished, just like what happened to Nagi.

They had an arc most recently that showed us the true ending of Negima and even showed who Negi hooked up with.

>It got an anime, so they can't have been too bad.
Anime aren't made because something sells well. They are made in hopes of making the source material sell better.

Yukihime is a travesty. Even sprinkling loli Eva isn't saving it.

Could you summarize it? I already know Negi went with the boring as fuck option and picked Naru 2.0 (Chisame).

>They had an arc most recently that showed us the true ending of Negima and even showed who Negi hooked up with.
And still Akamatsu chickened out to show Konoka and Setsuna wedding.

>fix the ending of negima (which he did in a recent arc
Nah, he just made it worse.

They showed the final battle against the lifemaker and how she was defeated.

>best girl will lose again
Why do I even bother with Hackamatsu at this point?

Karin is the best girl.

What happened to Negi’s mom?

Going monthly was a mistake, the long wait times between chapters killed all interest from those who were still reading it.

Akamatsu should focus the story on Kirie and Souta.

Too much Negi and co ruined the story.

old man is old and can't keep up.

i'm afraid to ask what happened

Yukihime is best girl.

Karin is a miracle of the universe.

>I can't believe the same person went from writing some really great arcs in Negima such as Mahora Festival and Mundus Magicus (up until it went to shit halfway through the Gravekeeper's Palace) that showed good understanding of writing tropes and felt snappy and balanced, to UQ Holder with its deluge of useless characters, asspulls, curbstomps, schizophrenic tone and pacing and overreliance on what came before to the point of leaving the allegedly new stuff underdeveloped.
At first I thought it just gonna have a slow start like Negima but I lost hope at the santa arc that felt just like filler, the Diana training arc with all the retcons made me almost drop the series, it's still shit though.

Why would anyone expect this to be good. Everything Akamatsu has made is shit. The middle part of Negima is good, but the beggining and end are garbage.

Negima's beginning was the best

It was the middle and ending slog were the shittiest

In fact it should have ended during the Festival arc

Nah.
But he should have continued Negima.

Fuck, will Negima the greatest manga ever get the right end?

Go for it then. It'll take a while but it starts to give closure relating to Negima, but the past 3-4 chapters have been bad. But it definitely felt like Negima for a good 50+ chapters.

But the Festival arc IS the middle.

The middle was Namek

It was so long that it spanned for years as opposed to just a year and change for the entire harem to Festival arc

I didn't even read Negima!. I just picked this series up because I heard it was about immortals trying to save the world and thought the concept would be interesting. I bailed the storyline after we introduced the time traveller because I couldn't take the mediocrity anymore.

Will any character ever be as based as Jack Rakham?

That's what this series is missing. It needs more Jack

Dunno about the manga, but the anime fell apart in a hurry. Weirdly, it was the sudden introduction of Negima characters that did it in... like maybe it wasn’t doing well and they decided 100 Negima cameos would save it. Fate and Eva were all the show needed plotwise.

But Magic World was filled with great shit. People just trash it because of the hiatus dragging it out.

Pick up Negima. Far superior.

>Pick up Negima. Far superior.
Here's the thing. I did have some contact with Love Hina and thought it was very mediocre as well. Given that I've now seen two works by this guy and both are very boring I don't really see a need to try and pick up his middle series. I honestly just came here to see what the fuss was about and if anything majorly bad had occured in the manga. I honestly just wanted to see the guy who was implied to have the videogame life system fight.

I liked the idea of different types of immortality informing how people tackled situations and combat. The spread wasn't bad initially, people cursed by gods, vampires, cyborgs as a form of technical immortality, even a time traveler. Once I noticed the tell-tale signs of a harem story all interest drained from me.

>Pick up Negima. Far superior.
Don't listen to him. Negima has some good parts, but for the most part is shit.

>Once I noticed the tell-tale signs of a harem story all interest drained from me.
Akamatsu only does harem stories. In fact he's the one who's responsible for the modern harem formula with faggot MCs.

So when will it actually do something new instead of repeating plot strands from negima

Love Hina is a harem. Negima is a harem that morphs into the best battle shounen, only surpassed by HXH.

Every person has a unique magical artifact based on a tarot card for example. Lots of interesting latin and greek based spells. PROPER foreshadowing. Every major thing is foreshadowed. Deep and well written females. If you can survive the early stuff, you'll be fine.

Insanity. More than 90% is great.

>Akamatsu only does harem stories
Honestly, I should have seen that coming but UQ started off like a basic shonen with a nice gimmick. I wanted to believe.

Negima peaked on the Mahora festival arc.

Negima is the odd one up. Just believe. Love Hina created harem genre almost, so he got railroaded into it. UQ Holder isn't too bad in harem elements, is it? It's not very exciting though.
Negima is the best choice. Just be patient with the harem stuff. Luckily, the story element cliches are low though the personality cliches are there.
Chapter 45 is the turn around chapter.

It felt like it was the ending but Ken wanted to be a Naburo and Wan Piss mangaka

Now he's just a bum with just himself and an assistant when back then he had an actual office filled with staff for Love Hina and Negima

Literally JUST

His wife is a ridiculously hot cosplayer. And someone even wrote a popular manga series about him.

>It felt like it was the ending
What? How? Negi hadn't found out anything about his father's yet at that point.

>Can Akamatsu
i see what you did there

Agreed when talking about the arc as a whole, but the absolute peak of Negima and Akamatsu in general was Negi vs Rakan. What a rush.

I swear, that was literally the most intense moment ever. I think only Berserk had a main character fight an impossible foe prior to that.
Fuck, I miss Sup Forums from back then too.

>author writes a sequel
>"IF IT WASN'T A SEQUEL IT WOULD BE DEAD"

Whoa... or maybe if it wasn't a sequel he never would have bothered with dumb shit like vampire woman who is actually a loli and vampire boy who is a clone of his own grandfather.

It's not a sequel if it literally just continues on from where the original left off. It's a continuation of the original. It wasn't always like this, but that's what it turned into.

>It's not a sequel if it literally just continues on from where the original left off
That's exactly what a sequel is.

You clearly don't know the difference between a sequel and a continuation.

a: subsequent development
b : the next installment (as of a speech or story); especially : a literary, cinematic, or televised work continuing the course of a story begun in a preceding one

It's a sequel grow up.

Again, you're an idiot.

>provides definition
>gets called an idiot
ok

Are the bds out yet? do they show nipple?

Fuck Akamatsu. That shit he pulled on Negima made me regret buying the physical copies. I am still mad.

I'd been a lifelong Akamatsu fan, I read everything of his including A.I. Love You, Itsudatte Mai Santa and Earth Defense Force Mao-chan, I have all volumes of Love Hina and Negima and even though the end of Negima took a steaming dump on every fan, I was still willing to support him had he gone on to make something new, but then he decided to just take Negima's corpse and keep dragging it through the mud with UQ Holder while getting even worse in everything but the art. I had to drop his stuff after almost twenty years.

How long do you think UQ Holder has left? With the most recent chapter I think Akamatsu could be preparing for the end.

Tbh the art in UQ holder was very medicore too imo. The overuse of cg made it look too clean and boring. That and the generic shonen mc made me drop it pretty quick.

Well, Negima was also all CG after the very early parts.

Idk how to explain it but comparing the art between those two, UQ holder just looks so lifeless. Maybe it's just me.

Can we talk about the greatest ss pairing that never happened?

I wanted her to drink a love potion so bad.

Only for the very big stuff. The rest was drawn on paper.

Wouldn't be quite as awful if he actually progressed the story.
But he still thinks he's writing a weekly series and the pacing is awful.
Where is the fucking second flashback to the war 30 years ago? Where is the fucking plot? Why is he bothering with this terrorist shit?
Last chapter was fucking shit too. I'm glad they got seemingly rid of Cutlass, but it also made her entire character a huge waste of time.

I fucking hate this piece of shit. He should have just continued Negima or written something completely new. This abortion the worst thing he could have possible done.
Now I have to keep reading it in hope of getting more answers to the nigh-infinite amount of lose ends in Negima even though I don't enjoy it at all.

dont worry i had the same problem. the art just seemed so lifeless in uq holder. Latter Negima had very messy panels with packed dialogue yet it oozes with passion. i cant say the same for uq

Not him, but the art in UQH looks so bad because there are (almost) no shadows, it almost looks like Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei but without any of the style. The noses in the early chapters are also bad because the draw so much attention when they are so distinctively drawn when everything else is minimalistic, which is the total opposite of Negima because the hair of the characters where not just plain black without shadows or any sense of gravity. The only character that genuinely looks good and goes with the stylistic choice of the manga is Karin, and her simple but beautiful style didn't translate to the anime at all because the studio tried to capture the look off the Negima anime by SHAFT minus the weird screenplay.

Go read the flashback arc he did 5 chapters ago or so. I t will give you closure to negima and essentially allow you to bail out from uQ

The girls are for lewd butt things

No, I understand, but I think it's mostly due to the environments being a lot blander in general than how they're drawn. And yeah, Touta's design is very uninteresting. He's like Kotaro but without the dog traits that made him stand out at least a little.

I have the volumes and I remember Akamatsu showing the 3D models of even the classroom and individual rooms in the volume extras starting from Mahorafest. Even things like the train cars and the blimps were CG, as well as pretty much everything in Mundus Magicus.

Hm, that might be it, I didn't really consider the shading.

During graduation day a bucnh of the students confess to Negi, he rejects them saying he likes someone else. That girl turns out to be Chisame. Negi awkwardly asks her out but gets rejected due to Chisame not wanting to tie the most important man in the world down.

Then there's a final battle against the lifemaker on a comet. Negi is fighting an endurance battle until Asuna can come out and help with her hax princess powers. They're able to get rid of the lifemaker without killing Nagi and everyone is happy. Negi does marry Chisame and Eva marries Nagi.

UQs timeline has cristalyzed Asuna so they can't pulll the same shit, its esentially a hard mode compared to Negima's easy mode.

That Negi v Rakan fight though

Wait, there's a UQ Holder anime? Why isn't everyone talking about it every week?

Because it's an awful adaption of a mediocre source material.

It gets bad when the same character wins 3 times.

I love chisame. Naru I can tolerate but I really don't want kirie to win. AT least the other two were hot.

>That girl turns out to be Chisame
As always the worst girl wins. No surprise there just disappointment

>I have the volumes and I remember Akamatsu showing the 3D models of even the classroom and individual rooms in the volume extras starting from Mahorafest. Even things like the train cars and the blimps were CG, as well as pretty much everything in Mundus Magicus.

After checking mines, it just looks like he left out some steps when adding the shadows.

Should have retired with Itsudatte my Santa in '98

>Eva marries Nagi.
WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO ARIKA?

>Negima the greatest manga ever
Kill yourself

The ultimate Christmas cake.

Because it aired last season.

Should have retired during A.I. Love You since it was just a lame mix of Ah My Goddess and Video Girl Ai.

Just read the Itsudatte my Santa oneshot and ignore all of his other work.

He was too greedy. He gave this series a connection to Negima to give it a jumpstart in popularity. People wanted more Negima instead and not looking UQH as a stand-alone title.

>Touta goes back in time and fuses with Negi
> gives everyone in the class mermaid flesh
> they also rescue Negi and hang out as immortal tomodachi

>But he still thinks he's writing a weekly series and the pacing is awful.
Sounds like Takei with Shaman King Flowers

You first.

Just to rub the salt in. Who did y'all want to win anyways? I would have liked for the class prez to fuck his brains out, otherwise maybe Yue or Ako

I can't seem to find the one with Negi and Chisame but Kirie looks at it smugly knowing she's bound to win.

Not until Eva gets her happy ending

Eva

>Negima is a harem that morphs into the best battle shounen, only surpassed by HXH.
>Implying it's anything above trash like Fairy Tail
Seriously, just kill yourself