FLCL

Is 1:30 what Haruko meant when she told this kid to swing the bat? If so did he swing the bat on the wrong girl?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=vXqgNXLgonA

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/pkjd/status/962536457767239681
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Depends on how you want to interpret the metaphor. As a coming-of-age show it could just mean "take chances" instead of letting opportunities fly past.

I personally wanted him to swing on that weird communist Ninamori girl or a least the girl who smoked with that robot cat.

Ninamori is the only girl who didn’t see Naota as a substitute for his brother. He always treated her like garbage though.

Damn that animation is smooth for 2000.

By swing the bat she meant the literal action of swinging the bat you absolute mongoloid. By swinging the bat during a baseball game one can accomplish a home run with a particularly good swing which brings the team points. If you don't swing the bat you just get 3 strikes and someone else is going to be swinging the bat for you. I feel my own intelligence go down when I have to explain baseball anime to people. Go out some time, watch some ESPN baseball cause your lack of awareness is flat out astounding.

He wasn’t even in a game when she told him that.

Cause people only talk about the game when they're playing it, nice try dude, come back after you're out of elementary school.

Hey! You leave me alone!

FLCL bugs me because I let this lesson fly directly over my head.

At least you didn’t pick up smoking because of the red head.

>tfw never swung the bat
feels bad desu

Childhood is lusting after Haruko or Mamimi
Adulthood is realizing Ninamori is the best girl.
True ascension is Kitsurubami

why did he drink these if he hated them? What did it mean?

>Kitsurubami
yes

He wants to be like his brother, who's a good baseball player and successful with women.

He "practices" all the time in both love and baseball, but he's afraid of not instantly being an amazing player.

He has to overcome the fear of failure, and also the fear of success and just play the game.

Literally everything naota does is to make a girl think he's cool.

I think it's also a low-key metaphor for eating pussy (girls have different tastes) but that may just be me reading too much into it

He was trying to act like an adult. Surely youve done this when you were a preteen/teen. We all try to act grown at some point and do stupid shit instead of admitting things are gross or not what you want.

Life can be bitter sometimes, but it's still worth experiencing and not avoiding.

At first he doesn't, he just bitches about it being sour. But by the end, even though he still grumbles that he doesn't like sour drinks, he drinks it anyway - specifically here it's not just a drink. First Mamimi, then Haruko were the ones to foist sour liquid on him and he refused, because he was a child. But after everything that happened, Ninamori does the same thing and he accepts it because he isn't a child anymore (Also because Ninamori was the only one that saw him for himself, Mamimi just wanted his brother back and Haruko has a fuckin rap sheet of shotas she's used for her own personal gain)

That the drink was sour is also important as it's allegory for those shitty parts of life you don't want to deal with, but kinda have to. Yeah it sucks, deal with it. That's basically the point - Life is boring as hell and often sucks but if you wanna get anything out of it you gotta swing that bat and choke down the sour drinks.

Ninamori is truly best lass

I'm scared that with FLCL season 2/3 coming up sometime this year, they'll feel the need to bring her back and ruin her somehow

>like garbage

Flirting with him. That's how girls do it.

I still don't know what was the purpose of bringing back FLCL
inb4 shekels

Animation has no age, user.

>Ninamori wears a red shirt with the USSR written on it
>Naota's dad wears a Nazi uniform in one episode
What did they mean by this?

I didn’t know that. Maybe they’re not meant to be?

It’s coming sooner than you think.
twitter.com/pkjd/status/962536457767239681

here's your (you)
I hope you're happy annon

>tfw you hated FLCL as a teen
>in manchild age you realize what you missed

I don't really think Ninamori is all that good, while there was a great dynamic prior to the end of their arc, she completely spoiled everything when she admitted to the glasses being fake. It's just shitty to fake having some personal detail you don't want other students finding out about, because while at the time it's a cute lie to make Noata think they're close, she just basically uses it as a fuck you to him. She got what she deserved, nothing good for her treacherous lies. She obviously represents that crush most guys have around that age, and you fuck it all up, but she's just some flawed kid the same as Noata.

>I don't really think Ninamori is all that good, while there was a great dynamic prior to the end of their arc, she completely spoiled everything when she admitted to the glasses being fake. It's just shitty to fake having some personal detail you don't want other students finding out about, because while at the time it's a cute lie to make Noata think they're close, she just basically uses it as a fuck you to him.
What? Didn't she show that the prop glasses she was wearing for the play were fake, as a way to let Naota know "you're still the only one that knows I wear these for real?"

I admit I haven't rewatched it in quite a while, but I swear I remember that being the context for that scene, or at least what I took away from it.

In the same boat, haven't seen it again since summer, IIRC she uses the glasses when she's spending the night and pretends like it's a big deal, but at the episode end she sticks her finger through what should have been a lens and says they're fake. I remember it as it being shown as they were real glasses up until that ending.

I feel blessed, have a nice day brother

A sour-tasting soft drink from a vending machine, which is basically an unnecessary and completely optional luxury item = adulthood/facing up to the unavoidable and unpleasant challenges and circumstances adulthood naturally brings?

That's fucking retarded.

Well when you miss the point that hard it does kinda sound stupid doesn't it?

That's because he's partially wrong, the soda represents the difference between being a kid and forcing yourself through to show everyone how grown up you are and being an adult and saying no if you don't like something. He overdoes the analysis there. Note by the end he's gone from being a kid, to an adult making decisions and saying he'll pass on the soda.

>Doesn't like sour and bitter shit
>Get's ribbed for being a kid
>Pretends to like sour and bitter shit to seem adult
>End of last episode has actually matured and doesn't give a fuck, wont drink it if he doesn't like it
It's not fucking rocket science you monkeys.

True dat my man

Her actual glasses have lenses, though.

I don't remember this, which episode/timecode?

Thank god I never did any of that crap

see

I was the opposite. Loved it as a teen, don't care so much now. I haven't watched it in several years, though.

Wasn't she going on about not wanting to be teased about them? I haven't watched in a while.

The end where she has them seemed at first to be her 'coming out' so to speak about it and being true to herself, but she shows Naota and everyone that they're fake; she's willing to be honest with Naota, but isn't ready to be honest with everyone.

They're both trying to be mature, rather than just trying to pretend to be grown up, but it's not easy to do that overnight.

Retard.

Yeah, this is the correct interpretation. Tsurumaki makes this point very clear in the director's commentary.

haruharu haruko is best grill
fuck off if you think otherwise

ah, it's that manga